Any First-Person RPG's on PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Chickensoup911 (669 posts) -

I love FPS games and RPG games. But why is it that every First-Person game in a shooter? So are there any First-Person RPG's? Or any First-Person games that aren't shooters. Like action/adventure and stuff like that.

#2 Posted by aussieboy911 (980 posts) -
oblivion is awesome it combines fps and rpgs incredibly and you should be able to pick it up cheap.
#3 Posted by Chickensoup911 (669 posts) -
Oh yeah I forgot, please don't say Oblivion. I hate it and it sucks so no one else suggest oblivion.
#4 Posted by aussieboy911 (980 posts) -
gotcha what about....... morrowind lol kidding i have no more ideas
#5 Posted by demonoid42 (70 posts) -
Gothic and Bloodlines are the only other titles I can think of.
#6 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

It doesn't quite fit your criteria, but Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines springs to mind. If you haven't yet played it, you're missing out.

In VTM:B, you can play in first-person view if you're using Thaumaturgy (or any other offensive Vampire disciplines such as Dementation) or ranged weapons. The camera switches to third-person when using any melee weaponry, though.

Other than that, the only recent game I can think of is Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Which is a very solid action-RPG and quite underrated here at GS imo.

#7 Posted by kristjanp07 (132 posts) -
Oh yeah I forgot, please don't say Oblivion. I hate it and it sucks so no one else suggest oblivion.yoda_soda_koder
what ye mean it sucks, its da best game eva, yeah and u should realy try morrowind too, like aussieboy sayd
#8 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

[QUOTE="yoda_soda_koder"]Oh yeah I forgot, please don't say Oblivion. I hate it and it sucks so no one else suggest oblivion.kristjanp07
what ye mean it sucks, its da best game eva, yeah and u should realy try morrowind too, like aussieboy sayd

I wouldn't say it "sucks," but it is rather mediocre. It's supposed to be an Action-RPG, but it has boring combat and very shallow role-playing elements, not to mention virtually zero sense of progression since your enemies scale with your level, so it ends up getting old pretty quickly.

Morrowind was a much better game, though.

#9 Posted by Chickensoup911 (669 posts) -

I'll get Morrowind GOTY because it's only like $15at EB.

#10 Posted by Darth_Kane (2966 posts) -

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Deus Ex

Boiling Point: Road to hell

STALKER

#11 Posted by BLKR4330 (1698 posts) -

I'll get Morrowind GOTY because it's only like $15at EB.

yoda_soda_koder

That seems like a lot actually, I picked it up for 5 euros at a local store.. You might also want to check out Arx Fatalis, should be available very cheap too.

#12 Posted by AKS_74U (1841 posts) -

STALKER

The game is amazing dude, you should check it out

#13 Posted by Luminouslight (6397 posts) -

Morrowind > Oblivion

But if you want some good First person Rpgs... You could try some really old games like Might and Magic 6,7, and 9.
Or you could go for the FPS rpgs like: Deus Ex's, Stalker, or Vampire Bloodlines, the Masquerade.

#14 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="kristjanp07"][QUOTE="yoda_soda_koder"]Oh yeah I forgot, please don't say Oblivion. I hate it and it sucks so no one else suggest oblivion.Velocitas8

I wouldn't say it "sucks," but it is rather mediocre. It's supposed to be an Action-RPG, but it has boring combat and very shallow role-playing elements, not to mention virtually zero sense of progression since your enemies scale with your level, so it ends up getting old pretty quickly.

Morrowind was a much better game, though.

You realize that you can get plenty of mods to fix enemy levelscaling and add many revamped features to combat? I have a mod where I can dismember enemies for example. It also adds a shield bash, and dodge feature. I have around 20 - 30 mods that I use and it makes the game completely different. :D I thought it was an awesome game before that, but after the mods it's just incredible.

#15 Posted by bmaisey (324 posts) -
This dragonfire guy likes original oblivion a bit too much for my liking (:P) but hes right that the mods make the game. Chuck in the better body mods and the mystic elves race (a race that has really nice looking faces, unlike the rest of them), plus any of the overhalls that get rid of the level scaling, maybe add in a few cool new weapons and armours... oh and not to mention clouds sword from advent children :D... all of a sudden you have a game that not only looks nice, it actually has some substance too. Not as much as id like, but still worth playing, and of course it does look so nice!
#16 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

This dragonfire guy likes original oblivion a bit too much for my liking (:P) but hes right that the mods make the game. Chuck in the better body mods and the mystic elves race (a race that has really nice looking faces, unlike the rest of them), plus any of the overhalls that get rid of the level scaling, maybe add in a few cool new weapons and armours... oh and not to mention clouds sword from advent children :D... all of a sudden you have a game that not only looks nice, it actually has some substance too. Not as much as id like, but still worth playing, and of course it does look so nice!bmaisey

And are people not entitled to their own opinions? :P I don't rag on you for liking the kind of music you do, do I? :D

#17 Posted by Zero_Fate_ (3448 posts) -
Deus Ex
#18 Posted by N0d0 (258 posts) -
Deus Ex. And Invisible War, if you can find it for a cheap price.
#19 Posted by Velocitas8 (10748 posts) -

You realize that you can get plenty of mods to fix enemy levelscaling and add many revamped features to combat? I have a mod where I can dismember enemies for example. It also adds a shield bash, and dodge feature. I have around 20 - 30 mods that I use and it makes the game completely different. :D I thought it was an awesome game before that, but after the mods it's just incredible.

DragonfireXZ95

Of course. I actually have a TON of mods. My previous comments were in reference to Vanilla Oblivion, though.

I also have the dismemberment mod 'Deadly Reflex' (pretty sure that's the one you're talking about) just for the variety it adds to the game's combat..but I'm not a fan of all the over-the-top gore in that one :P, so I have the gore option disabled (via a console command.)

There's a screenshot of a segment of my mod list, heh. I used to have more, but I reinstalled not but a couple months ago when I got Shivering Isles.

#20 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -
Deus Ex and System Shock 2 come to mind
#21 Posted by Dr_DudeMan (2794 posts) -
s.t.a.l.k.e.r.
#22 Posted by tertsan (3 posts) -

yeah, i too would love a fps game that had choices and elements of role playing. i have considered mass effect but im not sure i would enjoy the break in the combat to select an action. I wish they could mix and match genres more often.

#23 Posted by Hate_Squad (1353 posts) -

arx fatalis,wizardry 8

#24 Posted by Falconoffury (1717 posts) -

Darkfall Online is an mmorpg that has FPS gameplay.

#25 Posted by gameofthering (9915 posts) -

Borderlands?

#26 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Deus Ex

Boiling Point: Road to hell

STALKER

Darth_Kane
Yeah, all of 'em shooters except those vampires... The guy wants melee combat.
#27 Posted by Renevent42 (4996 posts) -
Borderlands Oblivion Morrowind Arx Fatalis STALKER Fallout 3 Dark Messiah Hellgate London Deus Ex System Shock 2 Heretic Hexen Strife That's all I could think of lol...
#28 Posted by dakan45 (18247 posts) -
If you wanna have a fair comparison with oblivion not being an rpg, then neither deus ex invisible war or stalker are rpgs. The rest however like deus ex and borderlands are great rpgs.
#29 Posted by KillerJuan77 (3823 posts) -

Get System Shock 2, you won't regret it,

#30 Posted by ssvegeta555 (2258 posts) -

*sniff sniff* I smell a thread necromancer...

#31 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -

STALKER

The game is amazing dude, you should check it out

AKS_74U

Yeah, definitely one of the most immersive first person experiences.

But it has to be said that STALKER is more of a shooter with RPG elements than the other way around. While the gameplay is rather open-ended and the options are pretty deep, you will still spend a lot of time popping caps. If you're looking for a challenging, non-linear first person experience with deep gameplay mechanics, though, this is it.