AMD throws the gauntlet on nVidias fastest GPU claims!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ownsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ownsin
Member since 2007 • 1331 Posts

"Yesterday our competitor [announced] the launch of what they claim to be the 'World's Fastest Graphics Card' – the Nvidia GTX 590," AMD's senior PR manager Dave Erskine spat it on the company's blog.

"We combed through their announcement to understand how it was that such a claim could be made and why there was no substantiation based on industry-standard benchmarks, similar to what AMD did with industry benchmark 3DMark 11, the latest DirectX 11 benchmark from FutureMark.

"… So now I issue a challenge to our competitor: prove it, don't just say it. Show us the substantiation."

Two weeks earlier, AMD had launched the Radeon HD 6990, which attained a record breaking score of X3303 on graphics benchmark 3DMark11 – also labeled the "World's fastest Graphics Card".

AMD just can't keep out of the cat fights; last week, it publicly refuted widely reported criticisms of DirectX.

Thanks, CVG.

Source: Link

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
They might want to recheck the GTX 590 got a driver update.....
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
They might want to recheck the GTX 590 got a driver update.....04dcarraher
Gauntlet = thrown back! :lol: :P
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better.
-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better. jedikevin2
Look I personally recommened that I run the tests ..and get to keep both cards afterwards if they make it through. :P
Avatar image for Neo_revolution7
Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Neo_revolution7
Member since 2008 • 2088 Posts

Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better. jedikevin2

honestly i agree with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better. -CheeseEater-
Look I personally recommened that I run the tests ..and get to keep both cards afterwards if they make it through. :P

I agree, except with one little addendum. After you are done you should send them to me so i may verify your tests :P
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better. ferret-gamer

I agree, except with one little addendum. After you are done you should send them to me so i may verify your tests :P

One of each should be sent to all of us to verify eachothers results.
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
[QUOTE="Iantheone"][QUOTE="ferret-gamer"][QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"] Look I personally recommened that I run the tests ..and get to keep both cards afterwards if they make it through. :P

One of each should be sent to all of us to verify eachothers results.

Sounds like a good idea to me. :P I rekon they should be tested using both AMD and Intel CPU's over like 20 different games/benchmarks.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]They might want to recheck the GTX 590 got a driver update.....-CheeseEater-

Not really. NVIDIA still to my knowledge hasn't proven their claim....

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Neo_revolution7

[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]They might want to recheck the GTX 590 got a driver update.....Urworstnhtmare

how would you know for yourself do you actually own one?

ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ATLReppa770
Member since 2005 • 4208 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"] Gauntlet = thrown back! :lol: :PNeo_revolution7

Why would he need to own one for that to happen?
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

[QUOTE="Urworstnhtmare"]

[QUOTE="-CheeseEater-"] Gauntlet = thrown back! :lol: :PNeo_revolution7

Really? :roll:

Generally the polite thing if someone lays down the challenge is to prove your own claim. Not to get others to do it for you...

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

and why not LN2 cooling just for kicks? Most ppl don't use water cooling, just go by air final.

taxonomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#15 taxonomic
Member since 2009 • 1107 Posts

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't care about speed, I care about driver stability. Whoever is bringing out the better more stable drivers has my money.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1841 Posts

I like it! Competition, Competition! Keep talking and somebody "will" do the talking in price and performance.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Does it really matter? Every 3 or 4 months they both make a new "Worlds fastest card" claim so why even bother broadcasting it as we've seen it before... a lot of times... by both companies.
Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
GTX590 have been breaking with overclocks so maybe thats not the best idea :P Although to be fair NVIDIA have just released a driver which fixes this. Personally I would get the GTX590 as the 6990 has a horrible whining noise when running on full load.
LordRork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 LordRork
Member since 2004 • 2692 Posts

I'm waiting for the AMD PR guy to walk into a room and proclaim "There can be only one!"

Neo_revolution7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Neo_revolution7

I'm waiting for the AMD PR guy to walk into a room and proclaim "There can be only one!"

LordRork

i LOL at this xD

Obiwan_1O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Obiwan_1O
Member since 2003 • 286 Posts

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't care about speed, I care about driver stability. Whoever is bringing out the better more stable drivers has my money.

taxonomic

the claim both companies are making is fastest GPU tho...

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
When I get my 590 il get on that :)
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts
590s practically have to be downclocked for stability, overclocking it makes it blow up. Piece of junk.
supras989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 supras989
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts

Whats worse is that at the moment the 590 is 100 dollars more expensive than the 6990 (where I have seen anyway in Australia 799-899 for 6990 and 999 for gtx 590)but has yet to be proven to be faster, I wonder how much of a difference driver updates could make.

Maybe on the slight chance nvidia planned this, claim their card to be the fastest, get slammed by amd and then bounce back to the top with driver updates? who knows, I'm going to enjoy the batle haha

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16563 Posts

590s practically have to be downclocked for stability, overclocking it makes it blow up. Piece of junk. MrGrimFandango

yah this is pretty much right. It can't be helped though since nvidias cards aren't as efficient as AMD cards are, so obviously a dual card gpu from them will run much hotter and runs risk of blowing up if overclocking. To top it off, the 590 only beats out the 6990 in games that are sponsored by nvidia and loses in everything else.

jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
What would one synthetic benchmark really prove anyway? What's important is how it performs across the board, in real applications.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

A friend of mine wants to SLI 590s with triple 30'' monitors. I told him I'll go to his house when I see it on the news on fire and point and laugh

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]Only way to stop any of this childish fueding is to have a unbias group take both cards, water cool them... crank them to the max settings possible and then run 2-3 programs and see whose better. Daytona_178
GTX590 have been breaking with overclocks so maybe thats not the best idea :P Although to be fair NVIDIA have just released a driver which fixes this. Personally I would get the GTX590 as the 6990 has a horrible whining noise when running on full load.

Anyone who buys a dual GPU card and doesn't put it under water doesn't deserve to have the card :P. Or even when someone buys two cards like that and keeps it on air, I would just get one and get a high end water loop, that makes more sense. Why does anyone wants to have a 4000$ RIG thats makes noise(any noise for that matter).