Am i the only person that thinks half-life 2 was extremely OVERRATED?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 supadave841
Member since 2005 • 312 Posts

I think this game is very overrated. I just dont see what is so mind blowing about it. It has no story, the weapons suck (I HATE the gravity gun i think its boring) the graphics are its only strong point (it was good when it was released). Its always regarded as the best shooter of all time and i have a hard time seeing why. The gameplay is mediocre,The AI is as dumb as bricks, there is barely any music/sound in that game and the NPC characters that fight alongside you are worse than the enemy AI. I had a much better time with bioshock. that game had a story. Exactly what this game lacks.

stoutlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 stoutlad
Member since 2005 • 717 Posts
Either you are a very poor troll or a very poor judge of quality. HL2 deserves every accolade it got.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I agree, in the begining it was fun till i reached black mesa east, after i got the gravity gun the game levels and objectives started to turn from bad to worse and even worse :( It was worthy sequel to half life till you reach black mesa east, then it turned into a "have fun with the gravity gun, we gonna strip the gun focused combat" Why i was having fun killing combine just like i killed grunts and aliens in hl. The ai barelly moves let alone fight back, its funny how people here call every game with easy combat "dumb down" but hl2 is not :roll: When i first played the game i was confused about the story too, as a matter of fact there is a great story but its not in the game, you got to ask people around to learn more about it. Anyway at the end its a 8.0 for me, episode 1 and episode 2 are much better.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dakan45
Either you are a very poor troll or a very poor judge of quality. HL2 deserves every accolade it got.stoutlad
Either he thought it was a run and gun fps instead of a physics revolution which it really was....
supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 supadave841

Either you are a very poor troll or a very poor judge of quality. HL2 deserves every accolade it got.stoutlad

im not a troll i didnt say that this game was horrible, i liked some aspects of it. i just think its overrated. the only reason i kept playing it was to discover why everyone else thought it was so great. i dont think it was as amazing as everyone made it out to be. It got boring very quick. I enjoyed the halo series much more.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
It's half-half for me. I get bored of it at times, but there are other times when I really get into it. Of course, since I play it on and off I can never finish it. I just started playing it again last night :?
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Yes, it is a very mediocre game, but remember this board is full of Valve fanboys, so you might wanna be more careful next time.
supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 supadave841

Yes, it is a very mediocre game, but remember this board is full of Valve fanboys, so you might wanna be more careful next time.dont-read-this

haha i sensed that too lol. thanks for the tip.

hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

I agree+ gordon freeman is one of the worst heores ever in my opinion

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

It has no story

supadave841

Ok.

Umm.

Wait.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!11?!

StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

The media did overhype the game, but I still loved it. I haven't played it in over five years, but I still remember it as one of my favorite fps gaming experiences ever.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

I think it deserves all the praise it gets.

Superb action sequences, perfect pacing and structure, truly wonderful characters, brilliant story, great weapons, incredible and innovative use of physics, excellent level design... I'll stop here only because I'm running out of synonyms for "good".

The only thing I wish was better is the AI. But even so, first-person shooters don't get much better than Half-Life 2.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

no, it was underrated here IMO.

The episodes combined are a 10.0 in my book, and HL2 itself is just under that.

Half-Life 2 and Metroid Prime are among the highest points in gaming IMO.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 supadave841

hyrueprince11

thank you, i was thinking that but you said it. Not really liking the silent protagonist theme everyone's got going around here. in my personal opinion, Solid Snake is one of my fav game heros.

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
No its an excellent game that deserved all the praise it got.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Did you play the game when it came out? If not, you don't really have a right to judge the game. Bioshock came out what, 3 or 4 years later? Back off.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dakan45
It's half-half for me. I get bored of it at times, but there are other times when I really get into it. Of course, since I play it on and off I can never finish it. I just started playing it again last night :? flipin_jackass
Well its fun for 40% way thru, then it runs borring and more borring and even more, anyway thats my experiance in every playthrough.
AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="hyrueprince11"]

supadave841

thank you, i was thinking that but you said it. Not really liking the silent protagonist theme everyone's got going around here. in my personal opinion, Solid Snake is one of my fav game heros.

I think Gordon is one of the best heroes ever, thank God he beat Snake!

Gordon uses his high intelligence and pure guts to take on aliens and soldiers all the way to Xen in the first game. If anyones a hero, he is.

Gordon owned up to the resonance cascade failure at Black Mesa and took full responsible for settling the score. Takes a big man to do that.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 supadave841

Did you play the game when it came out? If not, you don't really have a right to judge the game. Bioshock came out what, 3 or 4 years later? Back off.KHAndAnime

i did play it when it came out, i completed it only days after. I can think of lots of games that came out before it did that are still much better.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

It has no story

shakmaster13

Ok.

Umm.

Wait.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!11?!

I know. If you say it has no story, you're simply letting yourself be flamed by we Valve fans. You obviously either didn't play it, or just hate everything that's popular.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts
Its a pretty good game. Different opinions, tastes etc etc.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Did you play the game when it came out? If not, you don't really have a right to judge the game. Bioshock came out what, 3 or 4 years later? Back off.supadave841

i did play it when it came out, i completed it only days after. I can think of lots of games that came out before it did that are still much better.

Alright, just checking. What games do you think were much better that came out before? List 5.
supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 supadave841

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

It has no story

Phoenix534

Ok.

Umm.

Wait.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!11?!

I know. If you say it has no story, you're simply letting yourself be flamed by we Valve fans. You obviously either didn't play it, or just hate everything that's popular.

nope, i played it, no story.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Half Life 2 is a good game, but little more. The Grav Gun is my all time favorite weapon in a video game, but the rest of the game just... I don't know, it didn't click. The last level was brilliant, however, but other than that, not much I can say really. Again, a good game, but not zomg haxor bestest evar.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]Did you play the game when it came out? If not, you don't really have a right to judge the game. Bioshock came out what, 3 or 4 years later? Back off.KHAndAnime

Alright, just checking. What games do you think were much better that came out before? List 5.

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Hitman 2: Silent Assasin

Perfect dark

longello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 longello
Member since 2009 • 155 Posts

Half Life 2 was an average game with boring tunnel levels and an obsession with riding on sewage.

The obvious lack of a story and lousy premise is only slightly offset by the good use of physics.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="supadave841"]

supadave841

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

PC Games silly.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dakan45

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

It has no story

Phoenix534

Ok.

Umm.

Wait.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!11?!

I cant say it really told a story, it was set i an altenative universe in the future without really telling what has happened and who is who and how the world has come to what is happening, i had to find altenative sources to find out info about the combine and the war.
supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 supadave841

supadave841

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

im not saying that some of those games were the best games ever made but i enjoyed some of them more than Half-life 2. Metal gear solid 2 is also one of my fav games of all time.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Alright, just checking. What games do you think were much better that came out before? List 5.KHAndAnime

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

PC Games silly.

but its a multi-platform game (being that orange box was released) so i listed multi-platform titles

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

I never tire of playing Half-Life 2 and the episodes. But this is the great thing about games - people have so many varying opinions about them. Sorry that the OP felt it was over-rated, but I really enjoyed it all the way through, including the ending.

The characterisation and animation was great, and I found it very atmospheric throughout. I don't know how anyone can say the game had no story, because I thought it had a good atmospheric story told through the NPCs, the environments, and the scripted events which were very well done. They gave you just enough to fill in some of the blanks yourself, and personally I dislike it when a game force-feeds you huge chunks of a plot in a cut scene. Sound effects were well done, including the way sounds changed according to the environment. There was some decent eerie music in parts, and the voice work was spot on.

Yes, the story trailed off in parts, especially during the vehicle sections, but for me it picked back up again in between, and when you started getting allies fighting alongside you to make a counter-attack against the oppressors. Great use of physics throughout, and some challenging set-piece battles that didn't really feel like 'boss' battles.

The only things I would criticise about the game were some technical aspects, such as the lack of 'aim down sights', no leaning, no hands visible when driving vehicles or climbing ladders etc (which were things well handled in FEAR). Oh...and when it was released, having to download Steam etc., before being able to play, and I did fall foul of the stuttering bug.

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
broken_bass_bin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 broken_bass_bin
Member since 2009 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

Ok.

Umm.

Wait.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!!!11?!

dakan45

I cant say it really told a story, it was set i an altenative universe in the future without really telling what has happened and who is who and how the world has come to what is happening, i had to find altenative sources to find out info about the combine and the war.

The info on the back story is all there in the game if you pay attention to details. Dr Breen's "Breencasts", newspaper clippings on the walls of the lab, talking to Eli at Black Mesa East etc. all yield information on what's happened since the end of Half-Life 1.

Just because the game doesn't throw it in your face, doesn't mean there's no story. It's clearly been made so that you as the player know just as much as Gordon knows, which I think is a brilliant design decision.

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

I invite you to name one game that is better than Half Life 2. Better yet, think of three or four of them, and then start a poll to see which game people think is best. It'll be Half Life 2, trust me.

And about the gravity gun: a stroke of genius. After all, the game is called Half Life, and you play as a physicist. The gameplay's emphasis on physics really cements the game's focus, even more than Half Life 1 managed. The story is about science, interdimensional portals, amazing alien technology, and the gameplay reflected that. The gravity gun was revolutionary. It didn't "ruin the gunplay," it added an entirely new dynamic to it. After all, exactly how many times can you fire a shotgun or lob a grenade without being bored? I myself would rather crush a fascist combine soldier with a chifferobe.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 supadave841

I never tire of playing Half-Life 2 and the episodes. But this is the great thing about games - people have so many varying opinions about them. Sorry that the OP felt it was over-rated, but I really enjoyed it all the way through, including the ending.

The characterisation and animation was great, and I found it very atmospheric throughout. I don't know how anyone can say the game had no story, because I thought it had a good atmospheric story told through the NPCs, the environments, and the scripted events which were very well done. They gave you just enough to fill in some of the blanks yourself, and personally I dislike it when a game force-feeds you huge chunks of a plot in a cut scene. Sound effects were well done, including the way sounds changed according to the environment. There was some decent eerie music in parts, and the voice work was spot on.

Yes, the story trailed off in parts, especially during the vehicle sections, but for me it picked back up again in between, and when you started getting allies fighting alongside you to make a counter-attack against the oppressors. Great use of physics throughout, and some challenging set-piece battles that didn't really feel like 'boss' battles.

The only things I would criticise about the game were some technical aspects, such as the lack of 'aim down sights', no leaning, no hands visible when driving vehicles or climbing ladders etc (which were things well handled in FEAR). Oh...and when it was released, having to download Steam etc., before being able to play, and I did fall foul of the stuttering bug.

RobertBowen

that is a good argument, we've all got our opinions. like some of my friends egg me for liking the Metal Gear Series but it one my fav series of all time. I enjoyed every title even though there is a heavy amount of dialogue and cutscenes in all of them (I guess i just like that).

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KHAndAnime

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

supadave841

PC Games silly.

but its a multi-platform game (being that orange box was released) so i listed multi-platform titles

Halo, MGS, and Hitman 2 though? Really? You think those are better than Half-Life 2? You're mad.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dont-read-this
[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Alright, just checking. What games do you think were much better that came out before? List 5.KHAndAnime

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

PC Games silly.

Halo, Hitman 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are PC games.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

No you are probably not the only person. But me? Loved every minute if it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 KHAndAnime

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

dont-read-this

PC Games silly.

Halo, Hitman 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 are PC games.

Metal Gear Solid is too, but I meant PC-Centric titles. Not shoddy ports. I should've said "FPS" games too because these games are hardly comparable.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 supadave841

I invite you to name one game that is better than Half Life 2. Better yet, think of three or four of them, and then start a poll to see which game people think is best. It'll be Half Life 2, trust me.

And about the gravity gun: a stroke of genius. After all, the game is called Half Life, and you play as a physicist. The gameplay's emphasis on physics really cements the game's focus, even more than Half Life 1 managed. The story is about science, interdimensional portals, amazing alien technology, and the gameplay reflected that. The gravity gun was revolutionary. It didn't "ruin the gunplay," it added an entirely new dynamic to it. After all, exactly how many times can you fire a shotgun or lob a grenade without being bored? I myself would rather crush a fascist combine soldier with a chifferobe.

dos4gw82

i still prefer the metal gear series over half life. I didnt think the gravity gun was all that special, it kinda made the gameplay a bit boring whenever i got stuck with just that.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KHAndAnime

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

supadave841

i still prefer the metal gear series over half life. I didnt think the gravity gun was all that special, it kinda made the gameplay a bit boring whenever i got stuck with just that.

MGS and Half-Life and completely different games though. You comparing a cinematic-based games to a game that is known for its complete lack of cinematics. And they aren't even the same genre.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dont-read-this
Halo and Hitman 2 are far from shoddy ports. In fact I consider Hitman 2 to be the best game of all time.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dos4gw82

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

supadave841

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] PC Games silly.KHAndAnime

Halo, MGS, and Hitman 2 though? Really? You think those are better than Half-Life 2? You're mad.

those were all games that i enjoyed playing from beginning to end. I cant really say the same for half-life 2. I like metal gear because of the stealth and its story. Im not a huge fan of the halo series but im more likely to finish them over and over before i can even play through half life 2 a second time.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

Halo

Metal Gear Solid 2

Metal Gear Solid

Perfect dark

dos4gw82

thats a pic of me falling asleep trying to play half life 2 :p

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KHAndAnime
Halo and Hitman 2 are far from shoddy ports. In fact I consider Hitman 2 to be the best game of all time.dont-read-this
Halo is a shoddy port (Microsoft toned down the graphics and gave the game a broken netcode). As for Hitman 2, it is a great game. But Hitman 2 isn't as good as Half-Life 2 and two games isn't the same as 5 games, which is what I was originally requesting.
gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

I think this game is very overrated. I just dont see what is so mind blowing about it. It has no story, the weapons suck (I HATE the gravity gun i think its boring) the graphics are its only strong point (it was good when it was released). Its always regarded as the best shooter of all time and i have a hard time seeing why. The gameplay is mediocre,The AI is as dumb as bricks, there is barely any music/sound in that game and the NPC characters that fight alongside you are worse than the enemy AI. I had a much better time with bioshock. that game had a story. Exactly what this game lacks.

supadave841
I agree it's overrated, but the story was the main reason I kept playing, and the gravity gun was one of the signature weapons.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KHAndAnime

supadave841

those were all games that i enjoyed playing from beginning to end. I cant really say the same for half-life 2. I like metal gear because of the stealth and its story. Im not a huge fan of the halo series but im more likely to finish them over and over before i can even play through half life 2 a second time.

Can't you just say you prefer cinematic stealth games to FPS games? So far I'm not convinced you even like FPS games.
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dos4gw82

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

supadave841

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Halo, MGS, and Hitman 2 though? Really? You think those are better than Half-Life 2? You're mad.KHAndAnime

Can't you just say you prefer cinematic stealth games to FPS games? So far I'm not convinced you even like FPS games.

i do like fps games. the ones i own are half-life 2, call of duty 4, bioshock, killzone 2 and F.E.A.R. i would of listed F.E.A.R as a game i liked more but it didnt come out before half-life 2.

supadave841

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 supadave841

[QUOTE="supadave841"]

[QUOTE="dos4gw82"]

dos4gw82