Am I the only one annoyed by games requiring X360 gamepad?

• 51 results
xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

Seems like more and more developers keep doing it with their games, as the time passes, and everyone seems to just suck it up. Am I the only one who's pissed off by it? Many PC games these days (mainly action, adventure and non-isometric RPGs) give you two options: either cope with an unbearably bad keyboard and mouse control scheme, or play it the way it's meant to be played - with a controller. The problem is, most of the developers give you no choice when it comes to that - you either buy an overpriced Microsoft one or go back to torturing yourself with keyboard and mouse settings. I can understand and accept that some games are played better with a controller because they were built this way, but why on earth aren't we allowed to use whatever controller we have instead of a "recommended control method" - an X360 gamepad? I can't understand why so many developers go with this retarded way of programming a control scheme in their games. So many games I have to skip just because they're absolutely terrible to play with a mouse and a keyboard, and I have a generic USB controller.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Simple, deadlines must be met and the allotted time to get a game done on multiple platforms, doesn't allow for in a lot of instances a good pc port. It's more a problem with large publishers, and inexperienced game developers then anything else.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

yah surprisingly the x360 gamepad is the preferred controller...prolly because the Xinput API is being used since it's also used on the xbox.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

havent played a single game yet that made me go and buy a controller

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

It doesn't really bother me.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I own one, so no. I play more games on a KB/M but some games just feel a lot better using a game pad.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#8  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
@jeager_titan said:

No you are not. I almost broke my fingers while playing guacamelee with only keyboard. It was horribly implemented.

@wis3boi said:

havent played a single game yet that made me go and buy a controller

I think you guys are missing the argument/discussion here. This isnt the silly KB/M vs Gamepad debate.

This is the growing trend of controller centric PC games/genres refusing to utilize/acknowledge other gamepads that arent the X360 pad. Just imagine if Windows all of a sudden stopped accepting Keyboards and mice that arent branded by Microsoft, that's the case we are dealing with here.

I pretty much I agree. The 360 pad has a monopoly. While I do have a 360 pad. I had a Logitech gamepad that I was more familiar with (due to the PS2-like layout). I can't use it anymore as it became too much of an inconvenience compared to the alternatives. It just became a headache to constantly configure it to every game I play where I would prefer a controller. On top of that, I pretty much had to use 3rd party software just for it to work.

Personally, I dont think developers are truly to blame. PC gamers have turned a blind eye on it - or just dont care - because majority of PC gamers prefer KB/M (as evident with the few posts in this thread). Logitech/competitors hasnt really done much to compete with how convenient the X360 pad really is or get in touch with developers and Im guessing there's a some patent in place of whatever the 360 pad uses to make its compatibility so fluid.

Although this isnt really all that helpful (and dont take this the wrong way). I'd say just suck it up and buy one. It's literally plug and play, sometimes even press and play as there are games where I can literally switch from KB/M after a shooting segment, jump in a car in-game, pick up the 360 pad and it'll work - That adaptability just puts the implementation of controllers ahead of even the consoles. Although it's more pricey than controllers in the past, I think the convenience is worth it and for me, at least. The price of the wired one was easy to swallow since I like to spend quite abit on perhiperals, with my mouse costing twice as much as the wired X360 pad alone, alongside my rig that I spent ~$900 on.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

No, some games are just better on the gamepad.. I don't get the rationale some pc gamers have that they will always use mouse and keyboard and nothing else.. When there are some games out there in which a alternative is far better be it a gamepad, joystick, or steering wheel..

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#10  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

Seems like more and more games are doing that as the time passes, and everybody just seems to suck it up. More often than not they're unbearable to control with a keyboard and a mouse, and the "recommended" controlling device is the X360 controller. Why is it so? I can understand that the game might require a controller cause there are ones that are more enjoyable with it, but why on earth does almost every game with a controller scheme require you to buy an overpriced device just to control it the way it's supposed to be played?! I just can't get it. Why can't the developers just add an option to customize controls using your own controllers instead of giving you a one preset of a specific brand of controller and forcing you to get it? Am I really the only one that's pissed off by that? So many games pass by me, just because I can't get into them, as their creators either want me to play it with an X360 controller or cope with terrible K+M scheme.

I am annoyed at the amount of games that require a controller to be played properly period. This is a direct result of all the shit console porting that has become the norm in pc gaming in recent years.

And to the last post I don't give a shit if this is the discussion or not, it is my comment on it.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

Although this isnt really all that helpful (and dont take this the wrong way). I'd say just suck it up and buy one. It's literally plug and play, sometimes even press and play as there are games where I can literally switch from KB/M after a shooting segment, jump in a car in-game, pick up the 360 pad and it'll work - That adaptability just puts the implementation of controllers ahead of even the consoles. Although it's more pricey than controllers in the past, I think the convenience is worth it and for me, at least. The price of the wired one was easy to swallow since I like to spend quite abit on perhiperals, with my mouse costing twice as much as the wired X360 pad alone, alongside my rig that I spent ~$900 on.

not following the logic here...suck it up and buy one? If I wanted one I'd buy it, but I don't, I cant stand the lack of precision

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xxninja666xx

I've completely rewritten the first post, as its former was rage-induced, and imho wasn't comprehensible enough. Should be fine now.

Many of you people seem to miss the point of the topic. It's not about superiority of keyboards over controllers and vice versa. It's about a trend in gaming industry making the X360 controller the only viable controller option in PC games, which is silly, to put it gently.

@illmatic87 said:

Well, to be honest, over here those controllers are a teeny tiny bit too pricey for everybody to afford and so.... ahh, who am I kidding? They're expensive as **** in here and only a small percentage of gamers actually has one (at least half of them being the owners of an actual X360).

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17838 Posts

is there anything stopping other manufacturers from using the 360 driver in windows? the ideal solution would be for any pad to be recognised as an X360 controller it seems. it wouldnt affect the controller itself...manufacturers could still make it look like whatever they wanted. just the game would see it as an X360 controller.

if MS have locked that down though then its a non runner.

it is a pain but if developers need to do extra work to get more controllers working then its going to be hit and miss. perhaps other hardware manufactuers could come together and agree on an open controller standard which would make life easier for developers and still improve controller support.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I own a 360 pad and I think it is very annoying. Developers are treating Mouse and Keyboard people as second class citizens. Dark Souls 2 is the most recent example. They can't even be bothered to change the button prompts to help mouse and keyboard users. I know Steam is more of a distribution platform, but I really wish they would have some quality control when it comes to this kind of crap. It's simply pure laziness on the developers part.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

what games are being released now that require a 360 controller? these days i see people complain that there aren't ENOUGH games that use a controller.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xxninja666xx

@lawlessx said:

what games are being released now that require a 360 controller? these days i see people complain that there aren't ENOUGH games that use a controller.

Maybe not "right now", but over the years there've been some that did. Devil May Cry 4, Cursed Crusade, Mars: War Logs, and Dark Souls being some examples off the top of my head.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@illmatic87 said:

not following the logic here...suck it up and buy one? If I wanted one I'd buy it, but I don't, I cant stand the lack of precision

You're missing the point of the thread. He's talking about the Xbox 360 controller having a monopoly when it comes to GAMEPADS on PC. He's not talking about keyboard+mouse at all. He's saying that if you want to use a controller, you pretty much have to use the 360 one because every other controller is a hassle to get working. This has nothing to do with keyboard+mouse vs controller. It's controller vs controller.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#18 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

Can't you get drivers that will emulate the 360 controller?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xxninja666xx

@nutcrackr said:

Can't you get drivers that will emulate the 360 controller?

AFAIK, there's only an emulator (x360ce), but it's really troublesome to use. It'll most likely either not work at all (as in it won't recognize your gamepad) or mix up the control scheme for the game altogether and won't let you change it. Oh the horror of playing Dark Souls with functional buttons changed clockwise and having lock-on on start button (this actually happened to me and had to cope with it).

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts

It's not so much the 360 pad itself, but the X-input API that has the monopoly on games lately. Luckily other controllers are able to take advantage of it, (the Logitech F310 and wireless adapter for the Wii U Pro controller come to mind).

Someone also asked about an X-Input emulator, if I remember correctly Xpadder is a program that achieves this.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

developers are just lazy to support other controllers and M$ is prolly trying to steer people to use the xbox controller instead

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

I use my PS3 controllers flawlessly with all games that support xbox controllers, I don't see the problem. I even have them working wirelessly over bluetooth.

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

I am not annoyed by games that require a controller ... I am annoyed by the developers being so lazy and not finishing the work they started and rush out a product that lacks in the "polishing" section of game development. In my case this usually refers to Ubisoft, EA's dogs, FromSoft entered my list recently as well and so forth. The overall fault for the half-assed quality is usually on both developer and publisher's side.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Yes its a shame. For me there are certain types of games that I cannot enjoy with a controller so if I cant use mouse and keyboard I usually dont buy those games. For the games I do play with a controller like racing games and 2d games I use Xpadder and my Logitech Dual Action game controller that I bought about 7 years ago for £2.50.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I use a wireless 360 controller on PC and it's perfect. Witcher 2 was NEVER meant to be played with mouse and keyboard even though it was PC exclusive. Far Cry 3 is the same.

Any gamepad that's recognised by your PC will work with games that have gamepad support I don't see the problem here. Even if the game is asking for a 360 controller it will work with any gamepad Windows recognises.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xxninja666xx
@blueinheaven said:

I use a wireless 360 controller on PC and it's perfect. Witcher 2 was NEVER meant to be played with mouse and keyboard even though it was PC exclusive. Far Cry 3 is the same.

@blueinheaven said:

Any gamepad that's recognised by your PC will work with games that have gamepad support I don't see the problem here. Even if the game is asking for a 360 controller it will work with any gamepad Windows recognises.

Of course it will work. It won't work properly, though. Some gamepads have drivers that make them recognized as an X360 gamepad, most don't. The issues of that vary.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blueinheaven

@xxninja666xx: I don't know what your facepalm is about Witcher 2 and FC3 are both much better with a gamepad. Most games aren't specially FPS but those two definitely are.

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

I first noticed this happening with GTA IV. I had to go out and buy a Xbox 360 gamepad because I couldn't deal with the helicopter controls on the keyboard. My older gamepad wouldn't work with GTA IV. It's sad to see this is still going on.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Just buy X360 controller, it's pretty cheap and it's worth it.

I bought one today for a friends' birthday.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxninja666xx

@PredatorRules said:

No, it's not. It's really expensive around here. And no, I'm not from the States.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I'm not understanding. I thought any x-input capable controller would work as a 360 controller. I have the f310 out of dozens of controller capable titles it is recognized as a 360 controller in all of them, at least in x-input mode.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@PredatorRules said:

No, it's not. It's really expensive around here. And no, I'm not from the States.

I'm not either and it cost me 60$

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

No because I wish more games supports the controller when I don't want to to use the keyboard. Like the mass effect series. Not rts games though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

It doesn't bother me. Got mine for £22, not exactly breaking the bank.

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

1. Just stop whining and buy an xbox 360 controller. It's a high-quality controller that lasts for years and is well worth the cost for any pc gamer. If you can't afford one then save up (seriously, what is it 200 dollars over there). Having 1 industry standard for all games is a good thing, not a bad thing.

2. Witcher 2 is definitely meant to be played with kb/m. Not saying you can't play with a controller - but the controls are far more responsive with kb/m.

3. Far Cry 3 is definitely a game that benifits from having an xbox controller.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxninja666xx

@darktruth007 said:

Just stop whining and buy an xbox 360 controller. It's a high-quality controller that lasts for years and is well worth the cost for any pc gamer. If you can't afford one then save up (seriously, what is it 200 dollars over there). Having 1 industry standard for all games is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Honestly, I wouldn't whine at all, but looking where this thread went with the discussion, it's the only thing I can do now, as most of you completely missed the point. The thread was about me being concerned, why so many games require specifically the X360 controller while there are many generic ones that could be used on the spot if the game just had a configuration utility for USB devices. What people responded with was a petty argument over superiority of k+m over any controller and telling me to buy a controller and stfu. I already have one, but it's not usable in almost any games nowadays, as it's not recognized properly just because it isn't a White Gamepad With Mixed Up Thumbstick Positions And Colourful Buttons(TM). I, as a player who can't afford and/or simply doesn't feel the need to buy this specific controller, feel hurt by the developers, as they clearly force me to get one to be able to play their games the way they are intended to be played.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

I don't mind X360 controller. Mouse & Keyboard is better overall but games like, DMC are much better with a controller. To me X360 controller is comfy so I don't have an issue, got a wireless one for $30 a while back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Because the Xbox360 controller is the most common controller of the bunch? why not use it?

Why do we have to put up with crap generic controllers?

Choices? yea I guess... but console ports... need a controller that maps the same as the console game.. so either PS or Xbox controllers.... why would they use some crappy logitech one thats missing buttons, or different? when its much safer to go with standards.

you people are talking about an age where it was hard work... this makes it simple.

How is an xbox controller expensive? seriously!?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xxninja666xx

@MBirdy88 said:

Ignorance is bliss. Not every country has the same prices as US or UK.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@MBirdy88 said:

And there is not a single method around standard prices available to you? I call shenanigans. where do you live?

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

I don't know about you but I like using my Gamestop 360 controller for certain games. Batman Arkam Asylum or Trials Evolution etc etc

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By xxninja666xx

@MBirdy88 said:

@xxninja666xx said:

@MBirdy88 said:

And there is not a single method around standard prices available to you? I call shenanigans. where do you live?

Poland. Of course there's an option - I can buy a used one. Although, the used ones are still about 1/3 more expensive than a decent quality new USB controller, so it's not really profitable to me.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Controller is fantastic.... Why wouldn't you want to use it ?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blueinheaven

@darktruth007: I'm playing Witcher 2 with my system unit connected to a 42 inch TV using a wireless 360 controller and it's just fine. It's just as responsive as playing with keyboard and mouse (that's how I played it first).

The big difference is I can sit back and relax with the controller and play comfortably and everything is just a touch away. I don't have easy access to every option in the game but that's a fair trade off to me.

Keyboard and mouse combo was ridiculously cumbersom with this game I can't ever imagine playing it without a controller now.

To the OP sorry I missed your point a bit in my post above I get that you don't want to be forced to use a 360 controller but even a used one at 1/3 extra of the price of a generic one is a good deal IMO you should just bite the bullet and get one.

Once you get past your wounded pride you'll be super happy you have a brilliant controller that works with every game.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#45 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

Wat? I'm using a cheap logitech controller and it has worked for all my controller required games. No game I've played restricts u to only the official xbox controller.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts

Developers just have no respect for the platform and their gamers.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xxninja666xx

@DefconRave said:

Wat? I'm using a cheap logitech controller and it has worked for all my controller required games.

Give me the model. I'll see if it's THAT fantastic and maybe consider buying it if it's not too expensive.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#48  Edited By DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

@DefconRave said:

Wat? I'm using a cheap logitech controller and it has worked for all my controller required games.

Give me the model. I'll see if it's THAT fantastic and maybe consider buying it if it's not too expensive.

Logitech F310. About $45 singapore dollars (sgd). Has xbox 360 buttons and can switch between xinput or direct input.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I played the entirety of Batman AC on the XB controller.

As long as the controller has enough buttons and it works well I don't really mind it.

The only exceptions being FPS games, maybe. where KB/M might be a bit better.