Adam Sessler Retiring From Video Game Industry

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Not sure why I'm posting this. I'm not like all on his lap or anything, but he seemed to have a brain and somewhat of a point of view when talking about games. He is retiring. Getting out of the business and has been opining on games for a living since 1998. What's weird or abrupt about it is that he just started Rev3Games not all that long ago.

It is uncommon when someone makes it far enough in their field where they can handpick who they work with, as he seemed to be able to do with Rev3Games on youtube. Problem is, he seemed to handpick passive personality types.

Now, with him gone, Rev3 is like listening to a spring breeze faintly whisper to you about video games. Yeah, spring breezes are refreshing, but how can I hear 'em with a cacophony of 21st century bullsh*t screaming for my attention 24 hours a day? Yahtzee Croshaw and Angry Joe for the win, mutha****as! (Though Kevin Van Ord seems pretty quiet, too, and I value his opinion on games. He strikes me as a vegetarian type reviewer derp.)

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 bluesunmerc
Member since 2014 • 281 Posts

That is depressing. I remember when he used to be on that game show before xplay and his career at xplay. I think that show would still be good if they had kept the funny skits and the way they reviewed games. Of course I really blame everything that went wrong with xplay on G4. Simply because for a game channel there were only two or three shows that had anything to do with technology much less video games. That is sad to hear.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Fire_Wa11

Yeah. It seems like the people who enjoy their jobs are like the independent youtube dudes. Angry Joe and Yahtzee Croshaw have dream jobs. Where it seems like -- while Adam was entertaining -- he was always hinting at how hard he worked, how tired he was, how numeric ratings were bad, metacritic was ruining everything, hype was a problem, and so on.

And Gamespot has deleted my comments before when I posted this but that's total b*llshit because there is nothing wrong with what I am about to say: Some of those episodes of Feedback on G4, it seemed like Adam and a co-host or two were...um...tweakin'? Meaning it was kind of "snowing" out there in their California studios. I was a little worried about him because he was not a young guy with not a young heart nor aorta valve. That was back in 2010 and I haven't seen that since. I think it stemmed from his "We have a really intense job and work really hard vibe!" Whereas Angry Joe and Total Biscuit talking about games, there is more of a, "Can you believe we are getting paid to talk about games" vibe like you or I would have.

Anyway, it is too bad that Adam never found that place and always seemed like Oldboy locked up in the gaming industry's dungeon. Okay. That is enough graphic commentary about one man's existence for now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58960 Posts

Adam Sessler basically ruined Rev 3. Turning it into "The Adam Sessler Show" with "Sesslers Something" basically his big rants about whatever consoles AAAAAA+ game is currently in the public eye and how it will change the world forever. He's a shill. I'm surprised you fellows really buy his shit.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fire_Wa11

Honestly I don't know what I buy into anymore when it comes to media? Daily Show's not as funny with John Oliver gone. I don't get HBO to watch Last Week Tonight. I do get to listen to Bill Maher's Real Time podcast which is good, though I don't get to SEE it.

South Park's still funny but there has been no new episodes in forever. David or Dan Gregory ruined Meet the Press. Peter Holmes has a way of making his guests feel comfortable but is he on the Nerdist? Did he get a tv show? What is the Nerdist? Is it with Todd Glass the insult comic? Pete Holmes? What's nerdy about it? What's cool about it?

And I like Kevin Van Ord here at Gamespot. I also give credit to the Gamespot community for really calming down over the last year with far less trolling that I notice. (It got bad there for a bit.)

But when it comes to podcasts, shows or whatever, I am certain there are perfect ones for me to listen to in the background as I work. I just haven't found any in a long time.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

thats a shame..he had more passion for games than anyone on G4. I remember watching one of his videos where he says that he was having trouble with a certain part of a game. After hours of being stuck he started to stop and wonder to himself if he was just getting too old for video games.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bluesunmerc

@uninspiredcup: Just watched his shows from right before his xplay career started and so on. Never watched rev3 so not sure what your talking about.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Rev3 was largely noticed due to Adam Sessler's presence, so if he did anything, he did them a favor by bringing them tons of viewers of that they wouldn't have otherwise had.

I really respected Adam Sessler's opinion on things. He was clearly a passionate guy who cared about the game industry. I'd take his opinion over someone like...Angry Joe...any day.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

This is a bit late... He left Rev3 on April 2nd to start work as a consultant.

That said I would be surprised if some Giantbomb staff left in the near future, people that have been in this industry for too long end up losing interest in games and with the state the industry is in now it must be quiet frustrating to be a review... Bunch of sequals, AA gaming gone(thq's) and indie games that are in Alpha that you can't even review along with the fact that youtube has stolen a chunck of traffic for video game journalists since anyone with a youtube account can post up a review or quick look.

Don't blame him one bit for leaving... I have been playing games since the 96-97 and I am slowly finding it harder and harder to be impressed and or interested in enough to play a game for more than a hour at once.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@KHAndAnime said:

Rev3 was largely noticed due to Adam Sessler's presence, so if he did anything, he did them a favor by bringing them tons of viewers of that they wouldn't have otherwise had.

I really respected Adam Sessler's opinion on things. He was clearly a passionate guy who cared about the game industry. I'd take his opinion over someone like...Angry Joe...any day.

I was a regular viewer of Rev3 when Diggnation was there... and was drawn back once Rev3 Games came up and Sessler was there.

That being said Diggnation was a lot more entertaining and dare I say drew more traffic to their site.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

About time. I've seen him back in the ZDTV days of the late 90's.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@Fire_Wa11: Yea, it's so hard to play and talk about video games for a living.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fire_Wa11

@KHAndAnime said:

I'd take his opinion over someone like...Angry Joe...any day.

Angry Joe comes off as maybe unthoughtful because of his style. Watch either his Bioshock Infinite review or a "2013" list type of story where he mentions Bioshock Infinite (as it was one or the other.)

His insight on the devs treatment of character Fitzroy and the Vox Populi is VERY thoughtful. I kept whiping my eyes to see if maybe I WAS watching Adam Sessler. It looked like this.

*whipe whipe* "Nope." *whipe whipe" "Nope." ...and so on and so forth.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf

@AM-Gamer said:

@Fire_Wa11: Yea, it's so hard to play and talk about video games for a living.

A Football journalist must have a hard job all they do is play football.

That's literally what I heard.

Journalist may not be the hardest job in the world but you are quiet obviously confusing people like Adam with some kid on Youtube posting videos of them playing a game.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AM-Gamer

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: No I know the difference. A kid on YouTube does it for fun and makes money while Adam Sessler actually had a job. If my job involved playing video games I'd suck it up and enjoy it.

There isn't a job worth having that's not going to have some stress.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fire_Wa11

Maybe we can use this as an opportunity. Replace much of Rev3's content with a buddy cop series starring...

Total Biscuit -- as the by-the-book staunchy Brit who always gets his man, and his sidekick....

Angry Joe -- this brash young rookie has a penchant for hot pizza and hotter women, to which TB replies, "Jooooooeeeeeee!!!! Help me subdue these blokes!"

As they take on their arc nemesis and undwerworld overlord Yahtzee Croshaw and his game-ending-spoiling nefarious ways!

With a guest appearance by....

Kevin Van Ord -- this good-natured hacker genius pitches in when he can. (Though let's face it; he is kind of like a Chr*st-like character. And by nature, Chr*st-like characters have to be killed. That's what makes them Chr*st-like. Sorry, Kevin.)

Today's episode! "The Soccer Hooligan Heist." (*Duhn-duhn-duuuuuuhhhhh!)

Wrap this one up and ship it to Hollywood. It's ready to go.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@AM-Gamer said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: No I know the difference. A kid on YouTube does it for fun and makes money while Adam Sessler actually had a job. If my job involved playing video games I'd suck it up and enjoy it.

There isn't a job worth having that's not going to have some stress.

15-20 years doing the same job takes its toll no matter how fun it may look for someone with fresh eyes.

Also Adam didn't just play games and get paid for it... Need to get that out of the way since you clearly thing that what separates a youtuber and a video game journalist is the fact that you are employed.

He was a journalist... If you think that all they do is just play games and get paid you are sadly mistaken. Yes play games is a wonderful benefit of the job but its not all they do far from it.

Spending 8-10 hours a day in a office, traveling to events(not as a consumer), interviews, all while having to play and complete games and review them, record and edit videos on a daily basis along with hosting regular live streams... Juggling all of this on a weakly basis along with 100's of other things regular people do that work in office environments do and meetings and so on.

If you think doing that for 15-20 years is a piece of piss and easy enough to be good and get noticed while doing it then... Good for you, you must of made millions by now?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AM-Gamer

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: You are talking to a grown man do you honestly think I thought he just played games? Writing about them and talking about them is part of the job.

I can think of hundreds of other jobs that have all the same problems.(deadlines, ass holes and lots of office hours) but none of them involve doing something I love. The point is every issue you named is standard in just about every job. The travel may be stressful at times but I would be ok traveling the world to see the latest games earlier then everyone else. If I lived anywhere near a place that allowed me to get started in the gaming industry I'd take it in a instant.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Really like Angry Joe acually. I don't agree with his viewpoints sometimes and his humor can come across as flat but he seems like a genuinely earnest fellow when it comes to opinions.

I'm sure if we where talking about proper legit journalism it would be quite hard. But to make out gaming is anything other than contradictory pandering to the mainstream to please publishers, teenagers and generally anything involving green paper is fucking laughable. Adam Sessler is part of that.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

I didn't like this guy much so I never followed his reviews. Most of his reviews he did on the g4 network sounded way too scripted like he was reading something. Some on gamespot sound this way quite often... i prefer it to sound like an unscripted opinion. when its read straight out it looks like they are trying to word it too perfectly to impress someone. keep it simple and honest.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fire_Wa11

@uninspiredcup I like Angry Joe too, though I agree with you on his humor some times. Also, he tends to talk soo much about story. He's like a little kid that has to tell you all about the cool Star Wars movie he just saw.

Some times it's like, "Shut up, kid. I might want to go see it msyelf you know? You're so excited it's like you think YOU wrote it."

Then you're all, "Stop crying, kid. Come on. I didn't mean it. Okay. I 'm just going to walk away now."

But Angry Joe is very watchable and that Bioshock Infinite observation was very astute and won me over. He's also the guy who wrote the top-40 hip-hop smash, "Drop that Dookie!" You gotta respect that. (I think it's from his full-length album 'Songs to Make Yo' Butt Sweat.')

Back to Adam Sessler, though. Actually this is less about Sessler than the geniuses who made STanley Parable. I didn't play Stanley Parable and probably won't but I like watching in-game video of it some time. The guys who made it SPECIFICALLY made a demo for Adam Sessler to try out. But it's not really a demo? Or is it? Jump in at the 4minute and 40 second mark and laugh your *ss off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1fA63YPE0

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry-cLUr91QY

... those were the days!

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fire_Wa11

@Bikouchu35 said:

... those were the days!

Heh. Look at the 5 second mark. It almost looks like Young Sessler talking to Old Sessler. "I was sent back in time to warn you about Mystique assassinating Skynet, McFly! And what the h*ll are Bill and Ted doing here?"

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

**** me, dat hair.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

when did he say this? hes gonna be at E3 this year

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@Fire_Wa11 said:

@Bikouchu35 said:

... those were the days!

Heh. Look at the 5 second mark. It almost looks like Young Sessler talking to Old Sessler. "I was sent back in time to warn you about Mystique assassinating Skynet, McFly! And what the h*ll are Bill and Ted doing here?"

Its too bad he didn't warn him about them CoD rehashes, teh horror!! Oh yeah the hairline too and Keanu Reeves career pretty much flat lined after the matrix.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Resolutiongate did him in. I've been enjoying SuperBunnyHop in his absence, but I really miss address the sess.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@Fire_Wa11 said:

@uninspiredcup I like Angry Joe too, though I agree with you on his humor some times. Also, he tends to talk soo much about story. He's like a little kid that has to tell you all about the cool Star Wars movie he just saw.

Some times it's like, "Shut up, kid. I might want to go see it msyelf you know? You're so excited it's like you think YOU wrote it."

Then you're all, "Stop crying, kid. Come on. I didn't mean it. Okay. I 'm just going to walk away now."

But Angry Joe is very watchable and that Bioshock Infinite observation was very astute and won me over. He's also the guy who wrote the top-40 hip-hop smash, "Drop that Dookie!" You gotta respect that. (I think it's from his full-length album 'Songs to Make Yo' Butt Sweat.')

Back to Adam Sessler, though. Actually this is less about Sessler than the geniuses who made STanley Parable. I didn't play Stanley Parable and probably won't but I like watching in-game video of it some time. The guys who made it SPECIFICALLY made a demo for Adam Sessler to try out. But it's not really a demo? Or is it? Jump in at the 4minute and 40 second mark and laugh your *ss off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH1fA63YPE0

this is freaking hilarious. i can't stop watching

Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

@Fire_Wa11: How hard he worked LOL I would trade him jobs any day and I would not cry about it. Playing games and talking about them would be a dream job come true compared to what I do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 uninspiredcup  Online

@Motokid6 said:

I miss Morgan Webb :/

She does promo Q and A for Blizzard now I think.

bluesunmerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bluesunmerc

@uninspiredcup: Yea, I believe thats what I heard as well.