A good laptop for around 800 dollars

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

so what is the best i can get for around 800 $ .. can afford a little more .. i am intersted in gaming so i'd like it to run more demanding games ...

note : i know laptops are not suitable for gaming but i need one anyways .. so i'd like it to effectively run demanding games

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Not sure how much is a little more $200 more gets you this 17.3" acer laptop with a GTX 860M and considering how long you will be stuck with said laptop before getting a new one better to save up for a little bit better one then going for a cheaper one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314704&cm_re=Acer_Aspire_V17_Nitro_Black_Edition-_-34-314-704-_-Product

In depth review for said laptop can be found here is here

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V17-Nitro-VN7-791G-759Q-Notebook-Review.126701.0.html

Looks like its not to bad for $1000 gaming laptop performs well even in modern games as long as your lower the graphics down accordingly for the more demanding games. Sure you can get a stronger desktop for this amount of money but can't exactly bring a desktop with you cheaply and easily anywhere including on planes to other countries like you can a laptop.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Kind of bad timing should have got one on black Friday when things were cheap.. But you could all ways wait for boxing day sales. I'd even say it would be worth it as $800-$1000 will only get you in most cases exactly the same build DJ_headshot has linked to.

Just went on amazon and looked up some laptops and it seems that it's almost worth getting a refurbished unit over a new one if your on a budget. I'll link to one as an example but for a brand and factory certified unit with extra stuff you get about 100 and some off. Or and I don't know how reliable such things are on amazon but two more are selling refurbished for $600 51% off the price of a new one. Now non of them have feedback but they say they have never been opened. Again I don't know how reliable those people are or how amazon goes about picking safe and reliable sellers so buy from them at your own risk. But maybe a refurb is the better option if you need it now over waiting for new year sales.

link

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

If you're willing to go $100 above target, this is a great gaming desktop. IPS screen, fast GPU and CPU, good battery life, and ABOVE ALL it doesn't look like a twelve year designed it. I think this is as good as it gets in terms of price vs performance. If you go for a cheaper I don't think you would get as much performance per dollar as would with laptops around $900-$1100 range. But there are a ton of laptop brands out there so idk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314701&cm_re=acer_v15-_-34-314-701-_-Product

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts
@pl4yer_f0und said:

If you're willing to go $100 above target, this is a great gaming desktop. IPS screen, fast GPU and CPU, good battery life, and ABOVE ALL it doesn't look like a twelve year designed it. I think this is as good as it gets in terms of price vs performance. If you go for a cheaper I don't think you would get as much performance per dollar as would with laptops around $900-$1100 range. But there are a ton of laptop brands out there so idk.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314701&cm_re=acer_v15-_-34-314-701-_-Product

The problem with those kind of laptops is they get too hot when gaming. Dedicated gaming laptops are bulkier because they incorporate proper fans/ducts to draw heat away from both CPU and GPU.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@JamesJoule said:

so what is the best i can get for around 800 $ .. can afford a little more .. i am intersted in gaming so i'd like it to run more demanding games ...

note : i know laptops are not suitable for gaming but i need one anyways .. so i'd like it to effectively run demanding games

I found 2 MSI gaming laptops:

1. 840$ 2.5Ghz, 750Gb of 5200rpm, 15.6' monitor
  2. 870$ 3Ghz, 1Tb of 7200rpm, 17.3' monitor

both are good, the extra 30$ IMO is insane in comparison to what you get for that small amount of extra money.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html These guys imo have become the go to for gaming laptops.. Seeing as they are crazy customization and have basically every major brand.. IF your willing to spend a few hundred more.. I would take a look at the Alienware 13.. Though it's a 13.3" screen, it has a 860m in it.. And best of all you can get the graphic amplifier down the road.. Which basically a standalone minitower that can house a desktop video card which can plug into the laptop and over-ride your laptops videocard.. Turning it into a a desktop pc.. To me this has to be the coolest piece of tech I have seen in a long time.. In which you can almost have the best of both worlds.. The portability of a small powerful laptop + when at home you can turn it into a powerful desktop computer by running something like a 970 gtx through it and use a sharper much larger monitor..