480 GTX is fried, anything decent for $150-$200?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I have been out of the loop for the last year on hardware, my computer that i build a year ago only turns on for a second and then turns off. When i take out the video card it works no problem. And i have a pretty decent PSU a Corsair 750M watt so thats not an issue. The 480GTX is a decent card and has served its time. What can you guys recommend for me around $150 to $200? I cant spend anymore as i just had to fix my Yamaha R1 that it almost made me broke.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

750 Ti
R7 265x
R9 270

these are the ones you should consider.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

If you're looking to have similar performance in games, but something that runs a lot cooler and uses less power, the GTX 660 would be your best bet at finding around $180-200.

Not sure about the AMD equivalent, others would have to chime in here for that end of things.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By telefanatic

@i_return:

Thank you! They are all very similiar in prices, i do not have a preference for AMD or Nvidia, out of those 3 the R9 270 is the strongest ? I could even go with something like this, the R9 280 for $210 which is not bad in price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-131-570-_-Product

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@telefanatic said:

@i_return:

Thank you! They are all very similiar in prices, i do not have a preference for AMD or Nvidia, out of those 3 the R9 270 is the strongest ? I could even go with something like this, the R9 280 for $210 which is not bad in price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131570&cm_re=r9_280-_-14-131-570-_-Product

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr928wf3oc3gd yeah don't get PowerColor that's a crappy brand.

Pick this one ^

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 I_Return

@telefanatic said:

@i_return:

Definitely go with R9 280. You can always overclock it to match the 280x. Plus, the 3GB vram should come in handy this gen for 1080p gaming. It's a good bang for your buck.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 I_Return

@PredatorRules said:

@telefanatic said:

@i_return:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr928wf3oc3gd yeah don't get PowerColor that's a crappy brand.

Pick this one ^

agreed. PowerColor is a cheap brand. Plus they run hot.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 telefanatic

@i_return:

Thank you guys! Just placed an order for Gigabyte R9 280. Cant wait to play my games on it!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

@telefanatic said:

@i_return:

Pick this one ^

Powercolor is the premium TUL brand. They do great cards...

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 I_Return

@Postmortem123: They do great in a 'cheap' price range. It just takes a few more bucks to get out of that 'cheap' range and get another one which is way better. I for one, won't ever choose PowerColor unless I'm really tight on budget.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@i_return said:

@Postmortem123: They do great in a 'cheap' price range. It just takes a few more bucks to get out of that 'cheap' range and get another one which is way better. I for one, won't ever choose PowerColor unless I'm really tight on budget.

How are the others "way better"?

The gigabyte windforce cooler, for instance, is far worse than the Powercolor PCS.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By I_Return

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

The gigabyte windforce cooler, for instance, is far worse than the Powercolor PCS.

the people's experience speaks. When the eligibility of a hardware is being discussed, we take the general opinion. I reckon you know that much at least. It's for that very reason why this "AMD vs Nvidia" war never ends. You can have a way better experience with a piece of hardware while the person living right next to you might be having a disaster with that. It varies. PowerColor brands in general are nowhere near the big fishes like MSI, EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte and the rest. Gigabyte's cooler btw isn't that bad. It ain't better than PCS but it's not bad either. If anything, TC will probably get a better experience with the Gigabyte one. Because that's what general consensus tells us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@i_return said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

the people's experience speaks. When the eligibility of a hardware is being discussed, we take the general opinion. I reckon you know that much at least. It's for that very reason why this "AMD vs Nvidia" war never ends. You can have a way better experience with a piece of hardware while the person living right next to you might be having a disaster with that. It varies. PowerColor brands in general are nowhere near the big fishes like MSI, EVGA, ASUS, Gigabyte and the rest. Gigabyte's cooler btw isn't that bad. It ain't better than PCS but it's not bad either. If anything, TC will probably get a better experience with the Gigabyte one. Because that's what general consensus tells us.

So basically you have no reason. Right.

The gigabyte cooler sucks btw, it can barely keep a 780 Ti Ghz below it's throttling temp.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 I_Return

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

So basically you have no reason. Right.

The gigabyte cooler sucks btw, it can barely keep a 780 Ti Ghz below it's throttling temp.

Nope. Basically I'm just telling you, you can't be 100% sure about hardware performance in general.

You're making it out to be the worst out there ya know? sure that cooler isn't great. Like I said, it ain't better than PCS. But the PCS itself isn't that great either. I concur that you have a PowerColor gpu yourself. I can't argue with you after that. Everybody defends their choice. So, peace.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

PowerColor 280 rated at 855Mhz while Gigabyte offers 950Mhz - so if TC doesn't plan on dealing with GPU OC, Gigabyte offers best clock rates at stock.

Yes Gigabyte Windforce may be not having the best cooler like MSI Twin FROZR or EVGA ACX but from many latest builds that I've seen Gigabyte actually offers most of the time lowest prices of all reliable brands while still being one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

@PredatorRules said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

PowerColor 280 rated at 855Mhz while Gigabyte offers 950Mhz - so if TC doesn't plan on dealing with GPU OC, Gigabyte offers best clock rates at stock.

Yes Gigabyte Windforce may be not having the best cooler like MSI Twin FROZR or EVGA ACX but from many latest builds that I've seen Gigabyte actually offers most of the time lowest prices of all reliable brands while still being one.

You sure? The powercolor 280 at my store is 960Mhz.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@Postmortem123 said:

@PredatorRules said:

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

You sure? The powercolor 280 at my store is 960Mhz.

http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_layer_2.asp?ByBus=PCI-E&ByClass=ByProducts&VGASeries=RADEON%20R9%20Series&IsView=0&Series=RADEON%20R9%20280

(855MHz (up to 960MHz with boost)

vs

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4991#ov

(Base / Boost clock:950 / 1072 MHz)

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

I have seen the R9-280x in that price range on Newegg sales. Just watch their email deals, those cards go on sale pretty frequently.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

That doesn't mean anything, if he buys either the PowerColor or Gigabyte he will change that to 1100MHz immediately, and if he is interesting for some serious OC he can go up to 1200MHz.

I mean really, 1100MHz for the R9 280x are considered stock speeds…

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeryGo  Moderator

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

That doesn't mean anything, if he buys either the PowerColor or Gigabyte he will change that to 1100MHz immediately, and if he is interesting from some serious OC he can go up to 1200MHz.

Not everyone are doing instant OC when they buy their GPUs or deal with OC at all.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MK-Professor

@PredatorRules said:

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

That doesn't mean anything, if he buys either the PowerColor or Gigabyte he will change that to 1100MHz immediately, and if he is interesting from some serious OC he can go up to 1200MHz.

Not everyone are doing instant OC when they buy their GPUs or deal with OC at all.

But 1100MHz on the R9 280 is not considered OC.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

Some people like myself just get GPU and play, I don't deal with OC, that's why I didn't get my 4670 a K version.

Also anything above stock clock rate (official reference 933Mhz) is concidered OC.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MK-Professor
@PredatorRules said:

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

@MK-Professor said:

@PredatorRules said:

Some people like myself just get GPU and play, I don't deal with OC, that's why I didn't get my 4670 a K version.

Also anything above stock clock rate (official reference 933Mhz) is concidered OC.

To be honest I never understood these people, and probably never will.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@Postmortem123 said:

@i_return said:

You're a trip. My Windforce 290 stays pretty cool as far as 290's go. It usually stays around 78C