Jonathan_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jonathan_T
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

I'm looking for a decent gaming computer on Craigslist around the $600 range. But I don't know what hardware to look for and what hardware to stay away from, someone please help me

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Stay away from prebuilts.

Bonus points if the owner still has the receipts.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Do you know how to fix your own computer ? Thats pretty important. I buy messed up ones, and repair them. I program them, and get them running top notch, but not for gaming. Know what your looking for. I use mine only for homework purposes, work, excel, power point, PDF files, ect. And always run dual screen, wifi keyboard mouses, and it works super fast on a net cord. I can't tell you what to look for, only you know what your looking for, and what your going to do with it. $600 is enough for a new beginners type gaming desktop online. Why are you even going through Craigslist ? Any computer i have purchased on CRaigs, the first thing i do is wipe the hard drive clean, and i program them myself to my liking. I spend like $200. Thats just an example of what i run. What you looking for @jonathan_t

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

#1 Rule: Don't buy computers off Craigslist!

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

If you must buy a comp from craigslist be specific with your search terms and avoid just typing pc or computer; instead search for a specific gpu. If at all an option seek an older higher end gaming laptop, they tend to depreciate somewhat fast and can be tested in a public setting for functionality during a potential meeting with the seller like at a starbucks or somewhere with wifi. A local college campus cafeteria or library is also a good place even if neither of you guys are students. $600 in the upper east coast for example can get you a 1st gen 15" lenovo y50 which has an 860m (decent mid end mobile gpu) or like a cyberpower pc fangbook with an i7 4710hq and and 860m or an older alienware mx18 with sli 765m for $700 which can always be negotiated down, specially if the ad has been up for more than a month and updated frequently. Try to always deal in a public setting, it can make toting a pc around for the seller inconvenient if buying a laptop is not an option, but safety first. $600 can get you plenty though...

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@KHAndAnime said:

#1 Rule: Don't buy computers off Craigslist!

@Chatch09 said:

^This, if you really want to save money then wait until black friday / cyber monday to buy your parts.

+1.

If you want to buy a PC with $600, It will be better to buy a new one cause with $600 you can buy an i5+8gb with an entry gaming GPU.

Spending a few more ($650 or $700 total) will give you a nice gaming PC! :)