Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

...mainly to listen to music, watch TV (passing my cable TV HDMI through the PC to my TV) and movies/TV series (Netflix/Amazon etc.).

So I have heard I have been missing a lot from my music experience (I need better headphones, DAC this, amp that) but I don't know where to start. But I'm not looking for anything too out there, whatever $1000 can buy me will have to do (headphones not included, those I buy separately).

So guys/gals, can you point me in the right direction? Do you have experience building a PC like this? I'm all ears.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

if gaming is not an intended use you dont need to spend anywhere near $1000

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Master_Live

@thehig1 said:

I see, then I shall the good stuff!

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Master_Live said:
@thehig1 said:

I see, then I shall the good stuff!

1st you gotta ask @PredatorRules or @horgen to move it to the right board (PC Hardware), then you can get started.

You can easily spend $1000, don't know why its less... 4k high-end monitor, high-end DAC, and you'll obviously need HDMI 2.0 as a minimum for lossless video/audio.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Master_Live

Ah, the monitor. I'm will be using my Plasma as the monitor so I got that covered.

I do would like to have as many HDMI ports as possible (in/out). It should feel like an Oprah giveaway: "and you get an HDMI port. And YOU get a HDMI port!".

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Master_Live: So 1000$ just to watch movies and listen to music, you could buy something really small form factor like Intel NUC / Gigabyte BRIX or you could build something more powerful with upgrade option if you wish gaming as well like mini ITX, what do you wish for?

Also do you have high quality speakers or do you just wish to plug it to the TV and receive the audio from it?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Live

@PredatorRules said:

@Master_Live: So 1000$ just to watch movies and listen to music, you could buy something really small form factor like Intel NUC / Gigabyte BRIX or you could build something more powerful with upgrade option if you wish gaming as well like mini ITX, what do you wish for?

Also do you have high quality speakers or do you just wish to plug it to the TV and receive the audio from it?

Heh, I don't know what I wish for. I guess something like a mini ITX sounds better since you said it is more powerful.

As for listening I would be using some decent quality ($400?) headphones.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@Master_Live said:
@PredatorRules said:

Heh, I don't know what I wish for. I guess something like a mini ITX sounds better since you said it is more powerful.

I feel like a cheapo ips monitor would still be ideal on top of a tv, but thats just me. Kind of hard using a tv as a monitor unless you sit close.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Professional-Closed-back-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

I have something like this headphone which I like a lot. Get a desktop amp and dac. Heck go ask at headfi forums. I've been out of the loop for audio stuff, so I don't know whats a good dac setup anymore.

You can get something cheap like a pentium skylake processor. $1000 is seriously alot if your not going to game or work. I think you can spend $500-600 on the pc and the rest on audio equipment.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

just look up craigslist for used pc's with anything like a core i5 3rd gen and above. Should be able to find a decent deal for $400 or less. Spend the rest of the $$ on accessories that you want, either on craigslist or a store.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Bikouchu35:Not if you ask for multiple HDMI inputs and outputs. I cant even find a cheap GPU with more than 2 outputs, let alone inputs.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@Bikouchu35:Not if you ask for multiple HDMI inputs and outputs. I cant even find a cheap GPU with more than 2 outputs, let alone inputs.

Eh he probably don't need it anyway... or just buy an adapter, or am I missing something here from a cheap gpu?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Master_Live said:
@PredatorRules said:

Then mini ITX it is with some high quality sound card:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LHXjsJ