New X-99 build incoming. Need a few opinions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

Hello all. So, I've decided to build a 4K rig. This computer is going to be connected to my 4K TV downstairs. It's going to be an all-in-one rig that will let me play games, run 4K media, etc. As I'm planning on placing a large amount of media files on it, and I'm looking to game on it, I decided to go with an X-99 board, and pair it with an i7 5930K for the extra lanes. The extra lanes because I'm going to have a total of 5 drives, and one, perhaps two (more on that below) video cards in the future to really help push 4K.

So my questions are:

1. Will I be able to run 5 solid state drives? 1 500GB, Samsung Evo M.2 drive which will be the boot drive. 2 Samsung 1TB, SSD's. 1 will be a Steam drive, and 1 will be a media drive. 2 Crucial 500GB, MX200 SSD's. 1 will be a misc. games programs drive (Origin, Blizz, etc.), and the final drive will be for whatever else doesn't fall into one of those categories.

2. Will I still have enough lanes to run SLI cards in the future? The plan is to wait until a 1080Ti is launched. I figure one of those should run 4K games pretty well. That's the plan. But depending on the budget, I may go with 2 1070's now, or a single 1080 (more likely) and perhaps add a second one later. In the meantime, I'm tossing in a GTX 970 just so I have video. But should I wait for the 1080Ti or are there enough lanes to run SLI cards.

3. Anyone have any suggestions on a case that will hold said drives and video cards? I'm thinking about going with another Corsair 760T, but I'd really like something a bit smaller if possible. I love me a full size ATX case something fierce, but I think a mid size case would be more appropriate downstairs as it has to fit on a table near the TV.

Thanks for your advice and opinions in advance. I'm pretty stoked for this build as pieces are starting to come in. Depending on what's left in my wallet (this is getting crazy expensive), I may look into water cooling this system.

Here's a pic of the parts I've got now. I'm just waiting on the memory to come in, but I've still got to buy the case, cooler, fans, and maybe a bit of rgb lighting. I'll probably do that in a week or two.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Why 5 SSD's? Why not go with a single large SSD or two medium sized SSD's and maybe a SSHD(hybrid) they have 2tb and 4tb models. Your not going to see any real difference with all those SSD's. Unless you already have all those SSD's there is no point IMO. But to answer your question as long as your motherboard has enough sata 3 ports and a M.2 port you can run as many drives as you want, in your mobo it has 10 Sata ports.

Now your CPU has enough PCI-E lanes to handle 2 gpus at x16 so your good.

With a mid tower SLI'ing and having 5 drives could be an issue, since most midtowers require you to remove or move HDD cage for long cards or multple cards so unless your willing to cut down the amount of drives for use or forget SLI Choices are limited. But I have found one case that can support 6 drives and gpus upto 310mm without having to remove cages. The Thermaltake Suppressor F51.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Why 5 SSD's?

The Thermaltake Suppressor F51.

I've had the M.2 sitting in a box for awhile, and I was able to score the 2 TB SSD's for a great price. I got the pair, new in the box for $100 from a friend who ended up not using them. And the other 2 SSD's are spares from a previous build of mine. Any-who, I've now got 5 drives and I figured...why not toss them in there.

And that case is pretty dead on. I'd like to find one with a windowed panel so I can see the parts, but that's a nice case.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@joseph_mach:

That case does have a windowed side panel

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#5  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

A single 1080 Ti (if it is indeed coming out) is not a realistic option for 4K/60fps. SLI sucks in general, so yeah... still too early for proper 4K/60fps.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@joseph_mach: Either 1080 SLI, 1080Ti or Titan X Pascal (a 1080 SLI performance)

As for case, I only recommend premium quality if money isn't a problem - Phanteks case, sounds like I'm representing them on the forum - with all these times suggesting their cases but I can't turn down a premium quality option.

Enthoo / Eclipse by Phanteks - look for those, there's also EVOLV.