This topic is locked from further discussion.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Placed an order for one of these beasties

KFA2 (Galax) GTX 980 TI hof

KFA 2 (Glalax) GTX 980 TI hof

Bit of a toss up between this and a Zotox 980 TI AMP Extreme but after talking to some folks and watching reviews I decided to go with the KFA2. The white card will go really well with my build as well.

I'll post some pic's next week once it arrives (it's not available till next Monday)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Should be able to max that 1440x800 17" monitor!!

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Placed an order for one of these beasties

KFA2 (Galax) GTX 980 TI hof

Bit of a toss up between this and a Zotox 980 TI AMP Extreme but after talking to some folks and watching reviews I decided to go with the KFA2. The white card will go really well with my build as well.

I'll post some pic's next week once it arrives (it's not available till next Monday)

Nice.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#4 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

Very nice, but it takes up 3 slots like the Zotac. That is why I went with the Gigabyte model.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GarGx1
@MonsieurX said:

Should be able to max that 1440x800 17" monitor!!

Might be able to hit 60 fps with high settings on it as well ;)

@BassMan

I prefer to run single cards, rather than going SLI, so covering the x8 slot isn't really an issue for me. I did consider getting a second 780 ti (I have the Gigabyte Windforce) but I can only find second hand, which is never a good idea for high end. Besides, I've been having issues with it since my PSU popped a few months back. Frequent freezing when running games and now it can take 3 or 4 attempts before I get output on boot up. I get the same results when I run it on my wife's PC as well.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#6  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

@GarGx1: Single card is the way to go fore sure. It is nice to have the flexibility on your mobo though. May want to SLI if DX12 sorts out the issues with it and also the option to add a sound card, capture card or whatever. Taking 3 slots just seems like overkill. It is a sexy card though. It may even be sexier than my G1. hehe :)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Curious - which reviews did you read that lead you to choose this model? Galax's reputation is rather poor these days. And not to say this will be the case for you, but I've read a few anecdotal reports of it not being the best overclocker. (Not trying to bust your chops lol).

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#8 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Congratulations bro!

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GarGx1
@KHAndAnime said:

Curious - which reviews did you read that lead you to choose this model? Galax's reputation is rather poor these days. And not to say this will be the case for you, but I've read a few anecdotal reports of it not being the best overclocker. (Not trying to bust your chops lol).

Some word of mouth and several reviews both written (overclock3d, Guru 3d to name a couple) and video. The worst one I saw was from Jayztwocents, he mentioned difficulties in overclocking and coil whine as issues. The reviews I watched and read were for the GTX 980, not the ti (it's not out yet), as I was more looking to make sure they were decent manufacturers and everything I saw certainly indicated that. The card comes with a pretty beefy factory clock on it so the silicon should be decent. All in all it comes down to the silicon lottery game we all play.

Coil whine and fan noise seems to be a bit of a theme with the GTX 980ti though, regardless of manufacturers. Several reviews have deducted points for it on various cards but it seems a bit random as others don't mention it at all. (Gigabyte G1 and Zotac AMP extreme being notable examples)

Sorry I couldn't resist this Gif, it's too awesome :)
Sorry I couldn't resist this Gif, it's too awesome :)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GarGx1

Changed my order to a Zotac AMP Extreme 980ti. The KFA2 was due yesterday but on checking today they are not actually sure when they will receive them and then I'd still need to wait for it to be sent to me. So I decided I'm not waiting around indefinitely for a £575 GPU and changed my order.

I should get it tomorrow :)

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GarGx1

New card installed and running fairly nicely. I've not messed about with yet but it's already running like a beast

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/8062477

I'll post pics in the show your stuff thread in a bit :)

Not going to put this on the bench thread yet either, not until I get a chance to play with the clocks.