Laptop battery advise.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 SalikSST
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts

i just bought lenovo ideapad 100-15ibd which has non-removable battery unless i void the warranty by opening it. me & siblings use it for web browsing,gaming just WOW,movies etc i use it being plugged in on AC while it charges.is it safe to use while plugged in on AC because i cant remove the battery if so what i should do when its 100% i am worried about battery life to be good for years to come.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@SalikSST: You should leave it plugged it 24/7 when you can. There is no reason to ever run it off the battery unless you absolutely have to. You'll get much better performance when it's plugged in as well (for most laptops), especially for gaming.

SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SalikSST

@saintsatan said:

@SalikSST: You should leave it plugged it 24/7 when you can. There is no reason to ever run it off the battery unless you absolutely have to. You'll get much better performance when it's plugged in as well (for most laptops), especially for gaming.

Then that means even if its at 100% charge it wont degrade the battery over time or damage to being overcharged all the time?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

moving to hardware discussion

That being said, I disagree with the advice you have been given - your laptop's battery will degrade faster if it is always running on AC. My lenovo has power settings to avoid keeping it charged at 100% explicitly to avoid this issue - you should see if yours does and if so, turn it on. If not, unplug it once in a while and run it on battery power!

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@SalikSST said:
@saintsatan said:

Then that means even if its at 100% charge it wont degrade the battery over time or damage to being overcharged all the time?

It should stop charging at 100%. I know my laptop does but it's higher end.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Discharging the battery often even if it's to something like 50% will wear the battery more than just leaving it sitting at 100%.

I'm not sure if laptops have stepped up to the smartphone charging algorithms, but phones just report 100% battery while they actually let the battery sit at around 92-95% to prolong battery

Look if you have the option to limit the battery maximum in any of the software that came with your laptop.

SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SalikSST

@xantufrog: unfortunately my lenovo was without any software i installed windows 7 64bit myself can you name the software so i will check it from lenovo sit to download for my laptop.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 xantufrog  Moderator

Mine is just "thinkvantage power manager". I'm not sure how well this setting compares to simply making sure to not run on battery power 24/7

SalikSST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SalikSST

@xantufrog: i found this on google is it any good http://batterycare.net/en/index.html & BTW lenovo dont have any power manager for my laptop should i try the ones which are for other models on mine.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xantufrog  Moderator

I have no idea if it's any good. If I were you I would simply not run your laptop plugged in 24/7. Let it charge while it is off, and use it on battery unless you want to do something intensive like watching a movie or playing a game - then you plug it in.

I'm not an expert on these things, though - last time I checked, there were lots of articles on the internet you can google about good practices to ensure long battery life in laptops. Maybe try a google search?

Avatar image for replacementbatt
replacementbatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 replacementbatt
Member since 2020 • 1 Posts

Who can pick out for me the best product from the list provided in this site?

https://www.replacement-batteries.com/dell-laptop-batteries-category-4.html