How do I go about building a PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

Bro I dont really know much about computers to the point of upgrading or building one.

Im not looking to build a PC for gaming, Im looking to build a PC for running programs I use for video editing and such.

I need a step by step plan on what I need from scratch.

Help a noob out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I think newegg.com is good or check for a Micro Center. Intel graphic cards are buggy with video games not sure about video editing programs would stay away from them.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

This used to be really difficult because you had to install all of the drivers for basic components like the processor and the subchips on the motherboard like the north bridge and south bridge before anything would function. Now it's all plug-and-play and pretty simple. I built five of them yesterday.

The only thing that requires any real thought is matching hardware/software with your needs. Video editing can be surprisingly demanding depending on what you're doing, so make sure you account for that.

Once you know what components you need, just follow these steps: http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Computer

I'd recommend seeing how the new Ryzen chips perform before buying a CPU. Doing so could allow you to greatly increase your bang for your buck (unless this is for a server - if this is for a server I recommend Intel over AMD for at least the next year before we see how the new Ryzen chips handle things like ECC which AMD has historically not been great at).

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

step 1) invent the universe

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

You must exercise your Google Foo.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni: You start by posting it in the right forum :P

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Search youtube for PC builds. YOu will run across numerous builds but look for something that are long (an hour or so) and watch them step by step on how to build a PC.

Go to PCpartpicker.com and design your pc like you like it from picking CPU to graphics card, etc. If you have a price range in mind then I could build you one for your needs through pcpartpicker.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

Bro I dont really know much about computers to the point of upgrading or building one.

Im not looking to build a PC for gaming, Im looking to build a PC for running programs I use for video editing and such.

I need a step by step plan on what I need from scratch.

Help a noob out.

buy a custom one on craigslist/kijiji, don't really need to know how to build one. Make sure you know what parts you're getting though...an intel core i3/i5/i7 and a video card, possibly 8/16gb of ram. Should be able to get a decent pc like that for $700 fully set up for you already. For video editing, it depends on if you're doing amateur stuff or trying to be a pro. Amateur stuff you can get away with a dirt cheap pre built for like $300, but if you're trying to be a pro you need to pony up $$$.