DX12 Testing - AMD vs Nvidia (290x vs 980TI)

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/directx-12-tested-an-early-win-for-amd-and-disappointment-for-nvidia/

The numbers are incredible!

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Why are AMD cards seeing a larger increase?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@kevboard said:

http://splur.gy/r/HCnSx/r/32kFrZWQX8j

Go away.

@intotheminx said:

Did AMD manage to pull off some sort of crazy-optimised driver coup? Perhaps, but it’s unlikely. It's well known that Nvidia has more software development resources at its disposal, and while AMD's work with Mantle and Vulkan will have helped, it's more likely that AMD has the underlying changes behind DX12 to thank. Since the 600-series of GPUs in 2012, Nvidia has been at the top of the GPU performance pile, mostly in games that use DX10 or 11. DX11 is an API that requires a lot of optimisation at the driver level, and clearly Nvidia's work in doing so has paid off over the past few years. Even now, with the Ashes benchmark, you can see just how good its DX11 driver is.

Optimising for DX12 is a trickier beast. It gives developers far more control over how its resources are used and allocated, which may have rendered much of Nvidia's work in DX11 obsolete. Or perhaps this really is the result of earlier hardware decisions, with Nvidia choosing to optimise for DX11 with a focus on serial scheduling and pre-empting as AMD looks to the future with massively parallel processing.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@intotheminx said:

It's not just a larger increase ... it's an incredibly huge increase for AMD and pretty much no increase at all for Nvidia ... at least in this test. Op didn't post the heavy scenes and 99th percentile graphs, those results are even more impressive for AMD. A lot of people have been predicting for a while that AMD would benefit mightily from DX12 and whoa, that appears to be coming true big-time.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:
@intotheminx said:

It's not just a larger increase ... it's an incredibly huge increase for AMD and pretty much no increase at all for Nvidia ... at least in this test. Op didn't post the heavy scenes and 99th percentile graphs, those results are even more impressive for AMD. A lot of people have been predicting for a while that AMD would benefit mightily from DX12 and whoa, that appears to be coming true big-time.

I'm not trying to put on a tin foil hat and be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if AMD got the jump on DX12 due to working closely with MS with the XB1 and such?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wickerman777

@intotheminx said:
@Wickerman777 said:
@intotheminx said:

I'm not trying to put on a tin foil hat and be a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if AMD got the jump on DX12 due to working closely with MS with the XB1 and such?

Here's another article comparing this game running on Nvidia and AMD cards. Again the benchmarks have Nvidia killing in the DX11 comparisons but AMD pulling even in the DX12 comparisons. And the author offers some opinions as to why this might be the case.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/212314-directx-12-arrives-at-last-with-ashes-of-the-singularity-amd-and-nvidia-go-head-to-head

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

Surprised to see dx12 being worse than dx11 for nvidia.

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts

Okay...what's going on? Nvidia haven't optimize their latest card with Directx 12 yet or...?

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wickerman777

@RageQuit4Life said:

Okay...what's going on? Nvidia haven't optimize their latest card with Directx 12 yet or...?

I think it's probably more a case that DX12 makes software optimization from the hardware manufacturer less relevant. Nvidia has been totally spanking AMD because their drivers are better, because they work with game developers more closely, etc. DX12 makes it more about the physical product and Nvidia has never had the same kind of edge over AMD in that department as they've had with the code that runs it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Suddenly feeling less good about my 970 lasting longer than most cards due to DX12. Hope they manage to improve things with drivers over time, really surprising to see a decrease in performance after all this talk about performance gains from DX12.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

the sad thing with all what amd tries . the share market will kill them , nvida has better marketing better relationships with developers .

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:

Suddenly feeling less good about my 970 lasting longer than most cards due to DX12. Hope they manage to improve things with drivers over time, really surprising to see a decrease in performance after all this talk about performance gains from DX12.

don't fret, There is not a single game out that is DX12 ready, and Nvidia will release a mature driver set when there is a reason too.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#14 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17809 Posts

If there were actual DX12 games available, I would be worried. I am sure Nvidia will get their shit together in time for the games.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Suddenly my 290 turned from water to wine, thanks AMD. Holy fook if true...

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

Okie, it seems I posted AMD's and Nvidia's opinion about this in the wrong thread:

We talked with NVIDIA and AMD about the benchmark and both noted that this is alpha software and we took that as they felt it might not be an accurate measurement of DX12 at this point in time.

As they said, this is just a single benchmark of a single unfinished game.

And I believe that they didn't even work with other hardware parts apart from AMD GPUs.

Not even AMD CPUs LOL!:

Is there anyone here who believes that in a completed DX12 game a core i3 will be 10-15%!!! faster than FX8370?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Lol as if performance in some single random game really matters.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Lol as if performance in some single random game really matters.

You can be like the media....paint a one sided story.

I could post results of the difference of GTX 570s in SLI vs GTX 980Ti AMP! Omega for Borderlands 2 on 5760x1080....it's only a 45% increase in performance. I could claim the jump to the 980Ti isn't really worth it.

Then again. I could say the performance jump of almost 300% on Far Cry 3 when using the 980Ti over the 570s in SLI on 5760x1080 is clearly worth the upgrade.

I have the power to sway people one way or the other, based on only the information I release on 1 game. We need to see what actual true DX12 performance across multiple games and benchmarks are before we can say AMD or Nvidia is better.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#20 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Looks impressive. Even better the fact the R9 290X cost's $300 buck while the 980 Ti cost's over double that.

I would like to look at more DX 12 benchmarks.

I remember reading somewhere that when they designed GCN, it was intended to be designed to work with "close to the metal" API's, hence AMD coming up with Mantle. If this hold's true then AMD should do well in DX 12.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Are you guys really taking the performance of one unfinished game as the standard for nvidia's dx12 performance?

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

I hope AMD do better than green team in DX12 , and thier Zen project works . cause if not we gonna see this good company leave the market ....

A local market owner told me , intel paying not to buy from him but not to sell AMD parts ..... I dont know if thats true or not , but with nivida marketing and intel performance , AMD is going down .

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Jawad2007 said:

I hope AMD do better than green team in DX12 , and thier Zen project works . cause if not we gonna see this good company leave the market ....

A local market owner told me , intel paying not to buy from him but not to sell AMD parts ..... I dont know if thats true or not , but with nivida marketing and intel performance , AMD is going down .

No one will do better than the other in DX12, it will come to the hardware's abilities once all the drivers are in place and matured. AMD's older gpu's dont fully support all DX12 features. And the same goes to Nvidia's non Maxwell 2.0 gpu's as well. However AMD's newer GCN models, 260, 7790, 285, 290's does support the DX12_0 feature set but not 12_1.

So the fact that a unfinished game showing Nvidia's DX11 performance is better than DX12, and that i3's performing better than FX6300 or FX 8350 means that this benchmark is flawed and shows no real proof about AMD's superiority.

I know Intel has done those things in the past, offering major discounts, bribing OEM manufactures, and retailers to snuff out AMD sales. But not too long ago Intel got fined big time for those practices.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#24  Edited By Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

@Jawad2007 said:

What? As part of the deal back in 2009 where intel settled out of court, intel "promised" that they will not do those kinds of things. Looks like they were lying. As the saying goes once a cheater always a cheater. That partially would explain why you can't find that many Carrizo based laptop as someone pointed out, intel is probably doing shady stuff on the background to minimize the sales of Carrizo based laptops.

It seems like AMD can't do much despite having better tech like with Carrizo, which absolutely trashes intel Core i7 processors.

It seems like AMD needs to gather more proof and launch another anti-trust lawsuit. This time going all they way instead of settling out of court. Someone needs to punish intel badly. Sadly, I don't see that ever happening.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Are you guys really taking the performance of one unfinished game as the standard for nvidia's dx12 performance?

No, but it still is curious to see. Besides, likely bad optimisation for AMD will cancel out the difference :P

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I said this before and i will say this again. Amd's GCN architecture is more future proof . Just look at benchmark with Amd's 78xx and 79xx series and compare them to nvidias Kepler series. AMD held up much better ( for example nvidia gtx 660 which launched to be competitive to 7870 nowdays is closer to 7850 instead and in fact some games 7850 is slightly faster )

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127506 Posts

@adamosmaki said:

I said this before and i will say this again. Amd's GCN architecture is more future proof . Just look at benchmark with Amd's 78xx and 79xx series and compare them to nvidias Kepler series. AMD held up much better ( for example nvidia gtx 660 which launched to be competitive to 7870 nowdays is closer to 7850 instead and in fact some games 7850 is slightly faster )

Nothing to the rumours about nVidia crippling the performance of the Kepler cards to have people upgrade?

Pryocx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pryocx
Member since 2015 • 6 Posts

There is one thing you need to be aware of to get an idea why this is a very big win for AMD.

While AMD is a slightly larger company than Nvidia, Nvidia are much more focused in their production since AMD competes in more markets, markedly the CPU segment, where they are competing against Intel, a much, much larger company (10 times more revenue).

This means that in the graphic card segment AMD has less resource available than Nvidia, and have a hard time giving the same amount of external support for game developers as well as individual driver optimization. In this, DirectX 11 clearly supports the company with most available resource (Nvidia), since it requires vast amounts of resource to optimize individual games.

DirectX 12 on the other hand gives this control back to the developer, giving them more control over the allocation of resource. This in turn means that hardware will be a stronger driving force of computer graphics in the future. Since AMD have a weak point in their ability to produce individual drivers and spare manpower for direct support of game developers (due to lower resource available), the outcome of directX 12, which empowers developers and in part removes the need for individual driver optimization, works strongly in their favor.

In any event this is good for the community since it progresses development and competition! :)