Blu-rays still region locked?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm an Australian visiting the US at the moment (boy do you guys like your servings large!) and I have a question about blu-rays. If I purchase them here, would I be able to play them on my device at home?

Now, years ago, when I was a kid who was keeping up to date with this stuff, I vaguely remember that in America the blu-rays have a separate region code than overseas, but does this still apply to the more recent films? Or does the recent hardware, such as the PS4 and up-to date blu-rays, negate the region lock and play whatever?

Thanks in advance, guys.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ShadowsDemon:

I cant give an exact answer, but I did a similar thing;

I have a US bought PS4 back in January, and its played Australian/US/UK blu-rays no problem, the movies are old as well as new, the oldest is The Lord of the Rings, and that was bought in 2010 I think.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

It is a case by case thing. You would have to check with each Blu-Ray and see if they are region restricted. If they are....

Blu-ray Region and Countries

Region codeArea
AEast Asia (except Mainland China and Mongolia), Southeast Asia, North America, South America and their dependencies.
BAfrica, Southwest Asia, Europe (except Russia and Kazakhstan), Oceania (including Australia and New Zealand) and their dependencies.
CCentral Asia, East Asia (Mainland China and Mongolia only), South Asia, central Eurasia and their dependencies.