Your thoughts about Vinyl Records

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

User Lists: 0

#1 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

I listened to Hunky Dory today on my dad's turntable, and while I liked the popping noises (I think they gave it an authenticity) the scratches, skipping, and other issues made listening to it almost a headache. Granted, the turntable and the album about about 40 years old. Later, I bought a new record (Tegan & Sara's Sainthood) and it has no problems and sounded great. So what are your thoughts on listening to vinyl opposed to a different way?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Like records? Not a fan. It's not the 60's anymore. I know some like the sound better but I'll stick with the convenience of MP3s.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I'm listening to Boston's Third Stage on Vinyl right now, I love Vinyl and it is my favorite medium for music, sure it has it's problems but the sound is unbeatable. If you take care of your records and clean them and your needle before every play, they will last a long time with minimal surface noise and shouldn't skip. I also love a bit of surface noise, some songs like Stairway to Heaven just sounds lacking without it.

chaddk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 chaddk
Member since 2008 • 108 Posts

MP3 is clearly better, screw authentic popping sounds.

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

Like records? Not a fan. It's not the 60's anymore. I know some like the sound better but I'll stick with the convenience of MP3s.

Pirate700

This. I like the sound better than mp3s, but for some reason my iPod doesn't play vinyls :( :P

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
Don't have any appeal to me. I didn't grow up in that era, and I much prefer being able to walk around with my music and skip around to what I want to hear. I know many like the whole indie comeback of it, but I don't decide to watch my old 1960's black and white 18 inch TV when I've got a brand new HD TV to watch. Technology changes, and I find myself almost always prefer the newer stuff, though there are, of course, exceptions.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

GHlegend77

This. I like the sound better than mp3s, but for some reason my iPod doesn't play vinyls :(

I convert my records so I have both the record and the mp3 file of it. :)

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="GHlegend77"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

This. I like the sound better than mp3s, but for some reason my iPod doesn't play vinyls :(

I convert my records so I have both the record and the mp3 file of it. :)

I don't have the money to get a record converter, so I just listen to a lot of vinyls of the bands I listen to (Thank God Nirvana and Pearl Jam produced vinyls :P) at home and the mp3s on the go. It's very inconvenient though. I'm looking into getting a converter.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I don't understand how popping is considered authentic. It's a sound blemish. Why would you want it?

Rainbow_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Rainbow_Lion
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts

I love them because they're huge as well

Big stuff = cool 8)

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

In terms of sound quality they're the best, but they degrade over time and get scratched very easily. I have a record player and own way more vinyl records than I do CDs or anything else, but I'll admit MP3s are definitely more convenient.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

I have tons of vinyl records, I think they are better than CDs.

GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

vinyl may have the best sound
but it's a hassle finding a record player and finding vinyl themselves
cause only select albums are made in vinyl nowadays

TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts

I don't understand how popping is considered authentic. It's a sound blemish. Why would you want it?

Pirate700

The best expaination I can think of is that it creates the illusion of live music. True CDs give you a much cleaner sound, but that's not what it sounds like when the musicians are actually playing right in front you.

GC4ever

Finding Vinyl records is hard, I'll admit that (I just use the internet). But actual record players aren't hard at all, I bought mine at Target.

ArmoredAshes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 ArmoredAshes
Member since 2005 • 4025 Posts

The only vinyls I have I got for free from Gallery of Sound when I bought the actual CD. Sadly I don't have any way to play them..

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
The only time I've used vinyl is when converting some for my dad
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
I am indifferent. If its music i like... turn it up. thats all i care about.
Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts
It's definitely my preferred format. The sound of many records can't be matched by CDs, and MP3s aren't even in the same universe.
StrawberryHill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrawberryHill
Member since 2008 • 5321 Posts

I prefer vinyl records, particularly for music that was originally recorded on analog equipment. There is some popping if you have a record that has not been maintained well, but if you have a good stereo system, turntable and a quality needle, records sound better than digital files. They are warmer and sound more accurate, or true to the original recording. Digitally produced music is making leaps and bounds, however, as the sampling rates have been greatly improved...but it's not as good as analog recording. To put it simply, digital sound reproduction is a series of 1s (on) and 0s (off). On and off signals cannot yet accurately reproduce the intricacies of analog sound waves. A violin, drum kit or piano does not emit 1s and 0s. They emit complex sound (sine) waves along with a multitude of harmonic overtones. I'd rather listen to an *edit* analog recording over a ditigal recording anytime. I could go on at great length on this subject.

quadraleap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 quadraleap
Member since 2004 • 36581 Posts
Not only depends on the condition of the record, but quality of the player as well. I got rid of most of mine...got tired of lugging them around. I still like to listen to them occasionally though.
Parandrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Parandrus
Member since 2008 • 2511 Posts
Just got a record player for my birthday, actually. It converts records too, so if I want it on my iPod it won't be an issue.
GC4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GC4ever
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

TyrantDragon55

The best expaination I can think of is that it creates the illusion of live music. True CDs give you a much cleaner sound, but that's not what it sounds like when the musicians are actually playing right in front you.

GC4ever

Finding Vinyl records is hard, I'll admit that (I just use the internet). But actual record players aren't hard at all, I bought mine at Target.

record player at target!!!!:shock:
i did not know that!!!

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
The "warm" sound is actually colored (not neutral) and the pops are detracting, though those don't happen with well preserved records and good equipment. Also they are very unpractical with their size and the gear needed to play them. I very much prefer to rip them to 24-bit 96Hz lossless files. Also, USB turntables are a disgrace and are not the proper way to rip vinyl records.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Stuff like The Beatles, Led Zeplin, and Hendrix definitely sound better on a good vinyl record.

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts

Pirate700
You don't. It's a lie ignorant people tell themselves to feel comfortable about using a medium they don't know much about.
LordBrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LordBrew
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

I much prefer vinyl to cds. I counted my collection the other day, I have 99 records with me at the moment (some are at my parents house).

I enjoy spending time listening to records and converting them to mp3 so I can have the tracks on my phone/mp3 player. This probably sounds weird but I find it hard to listen to a whole album on cd, a vinyl record just holds my attention more.

Orlando_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Orlando_Magic
Member since 2002 • 37448 Posts

I like them. The sound is better on vinyl and it feels like a piece of art because the artwork is so much larger. This was the last vinyl I bought a couple months ago, Pete Rock & CL Smooth's All Souled Out EP...

I still buy more CD's than vinyl though, and I like the digipak packaging that a lot of CD's have nowadays because it is closer to a vinyl sleeve.

inuyasha12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 inuyasha12
Member since 2003 • 28053 Posts

Only thing vinyl is good for is smashing which is awesome.

mtmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mtmatt
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts
I never think about vinyl records, in fact I can't remember that last time.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#30 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I love it especially popping on a good record and reading a book or napping