Your Own Personal Worth

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I am one of is curious about the beliefs and views of others. There seems to somehow be more opinions on Gamespot than there are people. Thus, you shall be my guinea pigs for this question. By what do you ascribe your worth?

As I have observed, some claim their worth is gained by their actions or their contributions to society. Many may not explicitly express this view out loud but it is often implied by people's actions and their responses to people's actions or inaction. While contributing to society is certainly a good thing, failing to do so can be traumatic for a person with this perspective.

Many Christians will ascribe ourselves to be of worth because we are "created in the image of God." Even though Scripture never directly explains what that even means, the typical response by most Christians is that this statement proves our worth.

As I am sure you are dying to know, I personally believe we are only of "true worth" because something of great worth (God), gave us that worth. Whether that is a component of being created in the image of God, I do not know. However, as Scripture is concerned God seems to have seen enough worth in us (or perhaps, to have giving enough worth to us) to send his Son to die for us. Though God in no way is in need of us, he desires for us to be made right before him.

Being that I have given what many would consider to be an illogical or irrational perspective, I hope you too shall share your own irrational perspectives. :P

TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

*unnecessarily confrontational response*

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
My worth is the measure of how much I love my life by the way in which I live it to best reflect my values which can only be used as a rational means to a rational end.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts

*unnecessarily confrontational response*

TaCoDuDe
*whoa dude, chill out reply*
SaPhIrX_lOl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 SaPhIrX_lOl
Member since 2009 • 592 Posts

I am worth as much as I attribute to society.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
Worthy of what? Worthy to be accepted into heaven or worthy to live? I dunno if I'm worthy or worth anything, if I have a value. Maybe I'm worth something, considering my mother had a spiral when she got pregnant with me. If there's a higher power, did they find me worthy to be born? I'm suffering from mental illnesses, hardships I go through every day without much help from my family or friends, an internal battle I fight alone. Have I done something wrong, or am I just worth that punishment?
TwilightTown15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TwilightTown15
Member since 2009 • 1711 Posts

I'm not sure if anyone really has worth...In the end we all just die... But then again, there are many different ways of looking at it. :P

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

My own personal worth is something that I don't think I can competently or objectively measure, and as such, I choose not to bother to do so. :P

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
Value is in the eye of the beholder.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deihjan
Value is in the eye of the beholder. cybrcatter
I thought that was beauty =o
Gallion-Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gallion-Beast
Member since 2005 • 35803 Posts
Wow, exactly one vote for each answer.
Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
I believe one's worth is equal to the amount of contribution they make in the world. However, everyone is born with a rudimentary worth.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 cybrcatter
[QUOTE="cybrcatter"]Value is in the eye of the beholder. Deihjan
I thought that was beauty =o

That is too.
Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Perd1t1on
Member since 2009 • 1031 Posts
I will become worthy when I take over and replace the definition of worthy with my name and a picture of my face with 666 branded across my forehead.
Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
.....Do you really want to know what I think my personal worth is?
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mindstorm

Worthy of what? Worthy to be accepted into heaven or worthy to live? (1)

I dunno if I'm worthy or worth anything, if I have a value. Maybe I'm worth something, considering my mother had a spiral when she got pregnant with me. If there's a higher power, did they find me worthy to be born?(2)

I'm suffering from mental illnesses, hardships I go through every day without much help from my family or friends, an internal battle I fight alone. Have I done something wrong, or am I just worth that punishment? (3)Deihjan

(1) Value and worth in general.

(2) Personally I believe you do, I just wish to know whether you do. :P

(3) Hmm.... I suppose hardships certainly can make one feel of less worth before God but I do not believe so. If that is all you are worth then why would God, assuming that Scripture is true, provide a way out of such pain and distress through Christ?

GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 GmasterRED
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts
meh. I don't really know how to answer.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cybrcatter
I will become worthy when I take over and replace the definition of worthy with my name and a picture of my face with 666 branded across my forehead.Perd1t1on
And I'll say ' Hey, I know that mofo. I peed in his shampoo. Hey, look Greg, it's whiz-head!'
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Deihjan

[QUOTE="Deihjan"]Worthy of what? Worthy to be accepted into heaven or worthy to live? (1)

I dunno if I'm worthy or worth anything, if I have a value. Maybe I'm worth something, considering my mother had a spiral when she got pregnant with me. If there's a higher power, did they find me worthy to be born?(2)

I'm suffering from mental illnesses, hardships I go through every day without much help from my family or friends, an internal battle I fight alone. Have I done something wrong, or am I just worth that punishment? (3)mindstorm

(1) Value and worth in general.

(2) Personally I believe you do, I just wish to know whether you do. :P

(3) Hmm.... I suppose hardships certainly can make one feel of less worth before God but I do not believe so. If that is all you are worth then why would God, assuming that Scripture is true, provide a way out of such pain and distress through Christ?

Well, I was raised a lutheran Christian, maybe that's why I'm being 'punished' ? :P
Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Perd1t1on
[QUOTE="Perd1t1on"]I will become worthy when I take over and replace the definition of worthy with my name and a picture of my face with 666 branded across my forehead.cybrcatter
And I'll say ' Hey, I know that mofo. I peed in his shampoo. Hey, look Greg, it's whiz-head!'

Shampoo will no longer exist because shampoo factories will no longer exist. Shampoo factories will no longer exist because people will no longer exist. The only thing that will exist is a dictionary filled with blank pages, except for this definition. It will be laid in the last temple of humanity for the evolution of penguins to read.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, I have value to other people in this world (family/friends) and have made contributions to the world, so I'd think I have some worth.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

Once again, deprived of care

Ravaged by loathing, watch it decompose

Try to survive, yet individuality is rare

Hatred forms these spots of disease

Life seeps from the severed veins

Each day, devoured by ravenous bees

So this lonely rose is overcome by disease

So pitiful, this wilted rose decays alone

Whoever figures it out gets +1 internets..

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cybrcatter
[QUOTE="cybrcatter"][QUOTE="Perd1t1on"]I will become worthy when I take over and replace the definition of worthy with my name and a picture of my face with 666 branded across my forehead.Perd1t1on

Shampoo will no longer exist because shampoo factories will no longer exist. Shampoo factories will no longer exist because people will no longer exist. The only thing that will exist is a dictionary filled with blank pages, except for this definition. It will be laid in the last temple of humanity for the evolution of penguins to read.

If penguins are around to read it , then that means your dictionary isn't the only thing in existence. You created an omnipotent paradox. I think this is when the Big Bang #2 happens.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deihjan
[QUOTE="cybrcatter"] If penguins are around to read it , then that means your dictionary isn't the only thing in existence. You created an omnipotent paradox. I think this is when the Big Bang #2 happens.

I bet you watched Doctor Who yesterday :P
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GHlegend77

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

Xx_Hopeless_xX

... a murderer?

Perd1t1on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Perd1t1on
[QUOTE="Perd1t1on"][QUOTE="cybrcatter"] And I'll say ' Hey, I know that mofo. I peed in his shampoo. Hey, look Greg, it's whiz-head!'cybrcatter

If penguins are around to read it , then that means your dictionary isn't the only thing in existence. You created an omnipotent paradox. I think this is when the Big Bang #2 happens.

Guess what!? :D You just made list A! :D
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cybrcatter
[QUOTE="Deihjan"][QUOTE="cybrcatter"] If penguins are around to read it , then that means your dictionary isn't the only thing in existence. You created an omnipotent paradox. I think this is when the Big Bang #2 happens.

I bet you watched Doctor Who yesterday :P

I haven't seen the new version, but I will add that to my list of things I may or may not watch at some undetermined period of time.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Deihjan
Mindstorm, suicide = a ticket to hell, right? I think about such dark topics quite often, thou never trying them. Wonders if my worth has decreased with that.
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

GHlegend77

... a murderer?

:lol: no...i don't know how you got that :?..
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mindstorm
Mindstorm, suicide = a ticket to hell, right? (1) I think about such dark topics quite often, thou never trying them. Wonders if my worth has decreased with that. (2)Deihjan
(1) Some church traditions would say that but I personally do not believe so. However, suicide is certainly not a good way to "finish the race set before us." (2) Less worth in the eyes of many people, maybe. Less worth in the eyes of God, nope. Less worth in your own eyes? You have to make that choice.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Deihjan
[QUOTE="Deihjan"]Mindstorm, suicide = a ticket to hell, right? (1) I think about such dark topics quite often, thou never trying them. Wonders if my worth has decreased with that. (2)mindstorm
(1) Some church traditions would say that but I personally do not believe so. However, suicide is certainly not a good way to "finish the race set before us." (2) Less worth in the eyes of many people, maybe. Less worth in the eyes of God, nope. Less worth in your own eyes? You have to make that choice.

Hmmm, then I think my worth is on about a.... -7.
Toadso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toadso
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

Xx_Hopeless_xX

WORTHLESS

hehe I got + 1 skill :)

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

*poem thingy*

Toadso

WORTHLESS

+1 internets..skill points cost extra -_-...don't go trying to scam me :o..

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I have no self-worth. Measure that!
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Xx_Hopeless_xX
I have no self-worth. Measure that!scorch-62
But you do have worth!
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="Deihjan"]Mindstorm, suicide = a ticket to hell, right? (1) I think about such dark topics quite often, thou never trying them. Wonders if my worth has decreased with that. (2)Deihjan

Hmmm, then I think my worth is on about a.... -7.

Sadness. That is, unless you go so far negative you somehow end up in the positives. :shock:

Why, if I may ask, do you not believe you are of value? Would it help if I sang you a song? :oops:

GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GHlegend77

[QUOTE="GHlegend77"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

Xx_Hopeless_xX

... a murderer?

Wilting is the lone rose: After murdering, a man is sitting in prison, feeling alone, and stuck in solitude, knowing he is wilting and aging.

Once again, deprived of care: Talking of the horrible prison conditions, of which he is stuck in for life.

Ravaged by loathing, watch it decompose: The man is thinking about the person he murdered, who is decomposing now, laying on the cold wet ground

Try to survive, yet individuality is rare: I couldn't figure out this line. Actually, I didn't read it. But I think it has something to do with prison rape :3

Hatred forms these spots of disease: The horrible living conditions in the prison which he is in have led him to acquire disease, and he is in prison because of his hatred for whom he murdered.

Life seeps from severed veins: He is recalling stabbing the victim of his hatred.

Each day, devoured by ravenous bees: ... beehive?

So this lonely rose is overcome by disease: Once again, the acquired disease :3

So pitiful, this lonely rose decays alone: The man, who feels pity for himself, knows he'll have no wanted social interaction ever again. He is going to die alone, single, depressed, and in horrible pain.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
My body is worth quite a bit on the black market. Unfortunately, I'm not a grotesquely large person, so I may not be worth as much as others.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GHlegend77
[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

[QUOTE="Toadso"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

*poem thingy*

WORTHLESS

+1 internets..skill points cost extra -_-...don't go trying to scam me :o..

No one has GH bucks!!! Mwahahahahaha! :twisted:
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 cybrcatter

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

Toadso

WORTHLESS

You made me laugh, so I will also grant you +1 Worth.
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Deihjan

Sadness. That is, unless you go so far negative you somehow end up in the positives. :shock:

Why, if I may ask, do you not believe you are of value? Would it help if I sang you a song? :oops:

mindstorm
I question why I feel so sad and worthless daily, and I feel bad for being so selfish as to cry over my loneliness, when there are people in the world in far worse states than myself. People dying from hunger or war, while all I do is sit at home and do nothing. I can't help myself up from this pit of whatever that I'm trapped in. If I truly had value, people would tell me that they love me, yet I've never heard those three little words from my own parents. If I have value to anyone, higher power or not, would they not notice my misery and extend a hand, instead of ignoring me? And that song is so :3
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Xx_Hopeless_xX

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"][QUOTE="GHlegend77"] ... a murderer?

GHlegend77

Wilting is the lone rose: After murdering, a man is sitting in prison, feeling alone, and stuck in solitude, knowing he is wilting and aging.

Once again, deprived of care: Talking of the horrible prison conditions, of which he is stuck in for life.

Ravaged by loathing, watch it decompose: The man is thinking about the person he murdered, who is decomposing now, laying on the cold wet ground

Try to survive, yet individuality is rare: I couldn't figure out this line. Actually, I didn't read it. But I think it has something to do with prison rape :3

Hatred forms these spots of disease: The horrible living conditions in the prison which he is in have led him to acquire disease, and he is in prison because of his hatred for whom he murdered.

Life seeps from severed veins: He is recalling stabbing the victim of his hatred.

Each day, devoured by ravenous bees: ... beehive?

So this lonely rose is overcome by disease: Once again, the acquired disease :3

So pitiful, this lonely rose decays alone: The man, who feels pity for himself, knows he'll have no wanted social interaction ever again. He is going to die alone, single, depressed, and in horrible pain.

interesting interpretation :o..

Toadso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Toadso
Member since 2007 • 643 Posts

[QUOTE="Toadso"]

[QUOTE="Xx_Hopeless_xX"]

I am...

Wilting is the lone rose

cybrcatter

WORTHLESS

You made me laugh, so I will also grant you +1 Worth.

Yay :D awesome!

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

Deihjan

I question why I feel so sad and worthless daily, and I feel bad for being so selfish as to cry over my loneliness, when there are people in the world in far worse states than myself. People dying from hunger or war, while all I do is sit at home and do nothing. I can't help myself up from this pit of whatever that I'm trapped in. If I truly had value, people would tell me that they love me, yet I've never heard those three little words from my own parents. If I have value to anyone, higher power or not, would they not notice my misery and extend a hand, instead of ignoring me? And that song is so :3

From those experiences, I can certainly see why you would feel as if you have little worth or value. While feeling of no value in no way means that you actually are of no value, that doesn't make it easy to deal with. Never feeling appreciated for anything makes life hard to go through.

In my own experience, I have sought worth and value from relationships. However, people are not perfect and they would end thus reducing my feeling of worth. These days I have little issue with that since I do not find my security in family, friends, or dating relationships but God himself. Though it may feel as if God abandons us as David said in the Psalms, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" he gives us the promise, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." However, believing this to be true does not always guarantee that you "feel" this way.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I wouldn't really say that I meaure my own worth with a single matric. But I suppose happiness, search for truth, and how well I follow my faith are the key ones.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Deihjan
[QUOTE="mindstorm"] From those experiences, I can certainly see why you would feel as if you have little worth or value. While feeling of no value in no way means that you actually are of no value, that doesn't make it easy to deal with. Never feeling appreciated for anything makes life hard to go through. In my own experience, I have sought worth and value from relationships. However, people are not perfect and they would end thus reducing my feeling of worth. These days I have little issue with that since I do not find my security in family, friends, or dating relationships but God himself. Though it may feel as if God abandons us as David said in the Psalms, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" he gives us the promise, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." However, believing this to be true does not always guarantee that you "feel" this way.

My christian upbringing makes me want to believe that God is holding a hand over me, so I don't give in to my dark thoughts, but it's hard to believe in what a seven year old-me trusted blindly. No offence to your faith and beliefs, but God has never answered me or shown me the way, or even given me a single reason to believe in him. The only real reason I'm still around is because of my own love, and guilt, toward my family and friends - even if I feel as if they don't care, I'm still loyal to them in a way that I'd hate to know I left them with what weight my non-existence might cause. What little value I know I have is when I look at my puppy, and know that he is grateful that I'm at home every day, so he can snuggle, play fetch and sleep in my arms, and never feel lonely.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mindstorm
[QUOTE="mindstorm"] From those experiences, I can certainly see why you would feel as if you have little worth or value. While feeling of no value in no way means that you actually are of no value, that doesn't make it easy to deal with. Never feeling appreciated for anything makes life hard to go through. In my own experience, I have sought worth and value from relationships. However, people are not perfect and they would end thus reducing my feeling of worth. These days I have little issue with that since I do not find my security in family, friends, or dating relationships but God himself. Though it may feel as if God abandons us as David said in the Psalms, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" he gives us the promise, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." However, believing this to be true does not always guarantee that you "feel" this way.Deihjan
My christian upbringing makes me want to believe that God is holding a hand over me, so I don't give in to my dark thoughts, but it's hard to believe in what a seven year old-me trusted blindly. No offence to your faith and beliefs, but God has never answered me or shown me the way, or even given me a single reason to believe in him. The only real reason I'm still around is because of my own love, and guilt, toward my family and friends - even if I feel as if they don't care, I'm still loyal to them in a way that I'd hate to know I left them with what weight my non-existence might cause. What little value I know I have is when I look at my puppy, and know that he is grateful that I'm at home every day, so he can snuggle, play fetch and sleep in my arms, and never feel lonely.

No offense taken. Life often sucks. If there is one thing I can say about Scripture is that Scripture sometimes expresses this reality bluntly. Many times we can plead with God to take away the pains of life but rarely does that happen. Typically speaking, he just equips us to go through the pain to come out stronger. Perhaps the greatest benefit of the Christian is not the fact that we have a genie that takes away our pain immediately but we have a shepherd that walks with us through our pain actually experiencing the pains with us. And you are making me want a puppy. *snuggles a lifeless pillow*
Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Deihjan
[QUOTE="mindstorm"] No offense taken. Life often sucks. If there is one thing I can say about Scripture is that Scripture sometimes expresses this reality bluntly. Many times we can plead with God to take away the pains of life but rarely does that happen. Typically speaking, he just equips us to go through the pain to come out stronger. Perhaps the greatest benefit of the Christian is not the fact that we have a genie that takes away our pain immediately but we have a shepherd that walks with us through our pain actually experiencing the pains with us. And you are making me want a puppy. *snuggles a lifeless pillow*

Even tho I walk through the valley of Death, I shall not fear, for the Lord is my shepherd..or something to that tone. As a human being, it's important for me to believe in -something-, and even if God and Christianity isn't the right choice for me, maybe I'll find it some day. Until then I have my little lucky charms and my hopefully strong will to not give up yet. And he's my little angel. Any life-form that depends on you makes you realize how fragile and tender life is, and how much love they can give. Unconditional love.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#49 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
as with everybody else, the total cost of the compounds that make up my body is less than a dollar. but excluding that, i suppose i place atleast as much value on myself as others seeing as self preservation is a pretty sweet deal.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]I have no self-worth. Measure that!Xx_Hopeless_xX
But you do have worth!

Yay flattery?