Wow, talk about biting your tongue!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Carl_W21
Member since 2004 • 2021 Posts

Been meaning to post this for around 2 weeks now. On my dinner break at uni and had some time to kill so I went to Subway, I usually take out but decided to eat in. There was 2 guys on 1 table, myself on another and just people generally coming and going. So I hear these 2 guys talking, the topic was religion, one guy was a Muslim, the other a Christian. So they are just exchanging their views on the world and way their religion is around the world...blah blah blah, a pretty normal/general conversation.

I myself am non-religious but I respect everyone's beliefs and didn't really think of anything they had said, until... the christian guy made the most idiotic statement, he said to the best of my memory, something along the lines of "If you think about it, scientist use maths to solve a lot of problems, in engineering, most problems are solved by maths, now if you could solve all the answers in the universe with maths, then that proves their has to be a creator, a god. So whereas people think science disproves religion, it is actually proving their is a God".

Like I said I respect what anyone thinks to a certain level, but wow I had to bite my tongue at that point! I am not a rude person so I didn't want to intrude, nor could I be bothered with a debate with 2 strangers lol.

Seriously though, is it just me, or is that a ridiculous argument ?

Brain_Duster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Brain_Duster
Member since 2013 • 473 Posts

Yes, it's ridiculous. It's one of those "look at the beauty of this world; a God MUST be responsible for it" things.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Carl_W21

@Brain_Duster said:

Yes, it's ridiculous. It's one of those "look at the beauty of this world; a God MUST be responsible for it" things.

Yea I know right.

But why did he stop there, I should of asked, just because it can be explained by maths, how does that prove their is creator ?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178854 Posts

Wow two strangers had a discussion two weeks ago and you're still dwelling on it.....

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Carl_W21

@LJS9502_basic said:

Wow two strangers had a discussion two weeks ago and you're still dwelling on it.....

Did I say that ? No

I mentioned I was meaning to post it around when it happened and between now "2 weeks ago" - the reason I never was I totally forgot about it.

I don't get why you would comment just to have a smarmy dig lol :s

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

@LJS9502_basic:

lol that happens to me too now and again, granted not with strangers so much.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Did I say that ? No

I mentioned I was meaning to post it around when it happened and between now "2 weeks ago" - the reason I never was I totally forgot about it.

Yet here we are two weeks later and it's still on your mind. Just sayin' dude. Don't get all upset on me now.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Carl_W21 said:

Been meaning to post this for around 2 weeks now. On my dinner break at uni and had some time to kill so I went to Subway, I usually take out but decided to eat in. There was 2 guys on 1 table, myself on another and just people generally coming and going. So I hear these 2 guys talking, the topic was religion, one guy was a Muslim, the other a Christian. So they are just exchanging their views on the world and way their religion is around the world...blah blah blah, a pretty normal/general conversation.

I myself am non-religious but I respect everyone's beliefs and didn't really think of anything they had said, until... the christian guy made the most idiotic statement, he said to the best of my memory, something along the lines of "If you think about it, scientist use maths to solve a lot of problems, in engineering, most problems are solved by maths, now if you could solve all the answers in the universe with maths, then that proves their has to be a creator, a god. So whereas people think science disproves religion, it is actually proving their is a God".

Like I said I respect what anyone thinks to a certain level, but wow I had to bite my tongue at that point! I am not a rude person so I didn't want to intrude, nor could I be bothered with a debate with 2 strangers lol.

Seriously though, is it just me, or is that a ridiculous argument ?

Hard to say if there's a god or not, allthough i do believe there's is one.

We don't know everything so It's hard to discuss everything.

We all die , that's for certain and we haven't even went out of our solar system.

Let's talk in a million years, maybe then we'll know more, if we're still around :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I don't know why some people have so much trouble with a stranger's stupid ideas, especially if they're not talking to them? Do they have any strange urges of forcing their truths down other people's throats?

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Carl_W21

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Did I say that ? No

Yet here we are two weeks later and it's still on your mind. Just sayin' dude. Don't get all upset on me now.

I don't know where your getting this idea that it is 'on' my mind.

It just popped in my head whilst I was on the forums, so I thought I would share it.

Don't worry I won't lol. Thanks for your concern.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Carl_W21

@korvus said:

I don't know why some people have so much trouble with a stranger's stupid ideas, especially if they're not talking to them? Do they have any strange urges of forcing their truths down other people's throats?

I have no trouble with their ideas. People have their opinions and I respect that, I'm just sharing how stupid it sounded, you may of had to been there but really it's not that deep.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LJS9502_basic  Online

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Did I say that ? No

It just popped in my head whilst I was on the forums, so I thought I would share it.

Are you able to let it go now? Or should we stage an intervention? Perhaps if you'd eavesdropped more on them they might have explained that.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Was the urge to butt in on someone else's conversation really that strong?

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Carl_W21

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Did I say that ? No

Are you able to let it go now? Or should we stage an intervention? Perhaps if you'd eavesdropped more on them they might have explained that.

Never had a problem with what was said, found it amusing, shared it here. Was not eavesdropping, they were on a table right next to me, they were talking quite loud also, how was I supposed to not listen/hear ?

I don't get why you seem quite hostile ? Like trying to spark up some kind of petty argument ?

If that is what you like to do then it's a waste of time, I will read and reply but it will really just go over my head, like that conversation did, just because I mention it does not mean it was on my mind. Can we end this now ? Don't really want to have a silly back and forth, I do want to try and get along with everyone on the forums, that includes you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Never had a problem with what was said, found it amusing, shared it here. Was not eavesdropping, they were on a table right next to me, they were talking quite loud also, how was I supposed to not listen/hear ?

I don't get why you seem quite hostile ? Like trying to spark up some kind of petty argument ?

If that is what you like to do then it's a waste of time, I will read and reply but it will really just go over my head, like that conversation did, just because I mention it does not mean it was on my mind. Can we end this now ? Don't really want to have a silly back and forth, I do want to try and get along with everyone on the forums, that includes you.

I'm trying to figure out why a conversation between two strangers two weeks ago is so important. And don't bother saying it isn't....you made a thread about it.

Most of the responses in this thread are wondering why. So it's not just me. Nonetheless I'm done dude. Please don't let this conversation simmer. It's just a forum. Happy posting....

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Sounds like he was using a very poor version of the ordered universe argument. Because the universe has an order to it, he argues there must be something that gives order and this is god. It's not a full proof argument in any sense but the fact that a random Christian on the street had some sense of the argument is a rare sight indeed. Just be glad TC that this particular Christian embraces science and mathematics and using at least a rudimentary logical argument in his discussions about god. To many Christians use the "it's in the bible so it's true" argument which is absolutely worthless.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

OT has been nice as of late, don't ruin it 9502 :(

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Carl_W21

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

I'm trying to figure out why a conversation between two strangers two weeks ago is so important. And don't bother saying it isn't....you made a thread about it.

Most of the responses in this thread are wondering why. So it's not just me. Nonetheless I'm done dude. Please don't let this conversation simmer. It's just a forum. Happy posting....

But it isn't lol, because I made a thread means it is important ? No.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LJS9502_basic  Online

@dave123321 said:

OT has been nice as of late, don't ruin it 9502 :(

Why you starting shit 123321.....:(

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dave123321

I am trying to prevent any shit. I am glad we are in the same page

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dave123321

On topic:

Don't recall any convos that annoyed me the last few weeks

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Whatever makes you happy dude.....I guess I don't get why that dude's ideas matter. And maybe he did give an explanation to his thinking but you weren't there anymore. Anyway....live and let live. I cannot say what he meant. I don't really think anyone here can TBH....

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321

I don't get the math/god argument either

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dave123321

I guess it's not about a persons ideas but about the idea itself. Ideas can spark useful discussion

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Carl_W21

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Whatever makes you happy dude.....I guess I don't get why that dude's ideas matter. And maybe he did give an explanation to his thinking but you weren't there anymore. Anyway....live and let live. I cannot say what he meant. I don't really think anyone here can TBH....

Okay, well they don't matter, I just posted because I was bored, that's just what I do in OT sometimes. Bored, random, uninteresting posts. What he meant was, because things can be solved by maths, god exists, that was it basically.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic  Online

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@Carl_W21 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Okay, well they don't matter, I just posted because I was bored, that's just what I do in OT sometimes. Bored, random, uninteresting posts. What he meant was, because things can be solved by maths, god exists, that was it basically.

I guess then his argument is an ordered universe.....

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dave123321

I think I said before that topics don't have to be meaningful or important to the creator behind just something they wanted to share/discuss

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic  Online

I am biting my tongue dave.....

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dave123321

Oh another thing, I would never try to butt into some random people's convo.

Especially for something like that. Which just seems rude, unneeded and arrogant

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dave123321

@LJS9502_basic: sounds painful

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LJS9502_basic  Online

@dave123321 said:

@LJS9502_basic: sounds painful

Pain...pleasure....what's the difference?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dave123321

Kinky

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic  Online

TC has disappeared....

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Damn. Why you worried about one conversation you weren't even part of for the last two weeks? You need a woman bros.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Lol. Seems like TC was just looking to start another thread to insult religion and it backfired.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

Lol. Seems like TC was just looking to start another thread to insult religion and it backfired.

Backfired? More like LJ'ed.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Carl_W21
@LJS9502_basic said:

TC has disappeared....

TC went to bed

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Carl_W21

@Wilfred_Owen said:

Damn. Why you worried about one conversation you weren't even part of for the last two weeks? You need a woman bros.

When did I say I was worried ? I was pointing something out that popped into my head, I found it a bit funny the way guy went on, and I got one....bros.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Carl_W21 said:

I have no trouble with their ideas. People have their opinions and I respect that, I'm just sharing how stupid it sounded, you may of had to been there but really it's not that deep.

My apologies; sometimes I write in a way that makes sense in my native language but is not very specific in English. Since you didn't go there and "enlightened" the guy you obviously have enough self-control.

I was mostly referring to some of my co-workers who can be perfectly ok having lunch and all of a sudden say "Give me a minute" then get up and proceed to walk over to a table and berate people for their opinion. Sure, it's ok for you to defend your beliefs when someone is questioning them, but only if they're talking to you, not because they're speaking within earshot.

I think it's extremely rude to just butt in (which you didn't) when you weren't even part the conversation especially when you don't know the people having the conversation to begin with. My original message was mostly around the fact that I don't understand why people feel so threatened when their views aren't shared by everyone.

Carl_W21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Carl_W21

@korvus said:

@Carl_W21 said:

My apologies; sometimes I write in a way that makes sense in my native language but is not very specific in English. Since you didn't go there and "enlightened" the guy you obviously have enough self-control.

I was mostly referring to some of my co-workers who can be perfectly ok having lunch and all of a sudden say "Give me a minute" then get up and proceed to walk over to a table and berate people for their opinion. Sure, it's ok for you to defend your beliefs when someone is questioning them, but only if they're talking to you, not because they're speaking within earshot.

I think it's extremely rude to just butt in (which you didn't) when you weren't even part the conversation especially when you don't know the people having the conversation to begin with. My original message was mostly around the fact that I don't understand why people feel so threatened when their views aren't shared by everyone.

No, my apologies, the title kind of suggests I wanted or had the urge to butt in. I should have worded it better, I just found it funny with the god/math thing. Oh no I wasn't threatened by it, again I should of worded it better, only thing I go out of it was a laugh lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Carl_W21: I find that a lot of religious people do that; they see the wonder of God in every little thing, just like their religion teaches them to, and I don't have a problem with that, what confuses me is their definition of "proof" =P