Would you want to live forever?

#1 Posted by grimseeker (1000 posts) -

If you would be healthy as well as stay at a young age and other people could live forever with you by their own will, (your friends, family and others,) would you want to?

Personally, I'd have to say no even if my loved ones would live forever without me. Forever is just too long for my liking.

#2 Posted by one_plum (6474 posts) -

Perhaps a longer life with slower aging. Immortality sucks.

#3 Posted by GeekInkINC (206 posts) -

Only if I had a metallic body and xray vision.

#4 Posted by elkoldo (1766 posts) -

No life is so freaking....scant !

Avatar image for RussianMeatClob
#6 Posted by RussianMeatClob (282 posts) -

I'd download my mind/soul into a matrix like sandbox system then if I ever needed to do anything in meat space again I'd just transfer into physical platform... maybe something organic or mechanical or maybe both.

#7 Posted by playmynutz (7095 posts) -

Everyday feels like forever, so yes I guess so

#9 Edited by tocool340 (20891 posts) -

I wouldn't mind living til the sun finally dies or we blow up earth. Beyond that....maybe. It would get pretty boring drifting around the vast open space for an unknown amount of time....

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
#10 Posted by ShepardCommandr (4198 posts) -

Only if i was a cyborg ninja or Batman.

#11 Posted by jasean79 (2593 posts) -

Yes, because then I could achieve a long list of things I've always wanted to do - master every instrument, read every book, eat at every restaurant...etc.

Avatar image for always_explicit
#12 Posted by always_explicit (3370 posts) -

Yes, absolutely yes.

#13 Posted by comp_atkins (33452 posts) -

forever? no, that would be be completely ridiculous. what the hell am i going to do after the heat death of the universe and there is endless nothingness?

that being said, i'd certainly take a significantly longer lifespan. i'd like the option to live for as long as i want to live and the option to off myself if i just get fucking sick of it.

but not forever. that's crazy talk. i don't even think a human brain could handle that physiologically.

#14 Posted by Korvus (10152 posts) -

Stay young for longer, sign me up...live longer...I'll pass...

#15 Edited by thehig1 (5383 posts) -

Good thread, there are valid reasons for each decision.

I would have to go yes, I'd like to live for ever hopefully at the age and physical condition I'm in now.

I could live on too see humanity figure out the grand questions of the universe.

Also life is all we have, once it's gone cease to exist, I want to exist.

#16 Posted by Allicrombie (26185 posts) -

@grimseeker: god no, sounds horrible, to be honest.

#17 Posted by gamerguru100 (12584 posts) -

No, in fact it would be better if the life expectancy was even lower. The less time spent on this planet, the better.

#18 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Not in a world like this. It's tough enough.

#19 Posted by PcGamingRig (7380 posts) -

Probably not, I have had 25 years and it has already been a bit of a mind****.

Although, seeing the advances in technology and other aspects would be nice.

#20 Edited by GamingGod999 (3135 posts) -

@always_explicit said:

Yes, absolutely yes.

#21 Posted by sukraj (26449 posts) -

no

#22 Posted by Celldrax (15030 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a few hundred years. It would be interesting to witness the various changes the world will go through.

It's difficult to fully grasp what it would be like living for thousands of years, so kinda hard to say if it would be an ideal thing.

#23 Posted by MirkoS77 (11064 posts) -

No. Nothing in life holds value without death.

#24 Edited by lamprey263 (32821 posts) -

well, you could simply live longer, then go jump off a bridge when you get tired of it

me, I say yes, though I could conceivably see myself wanting to end myself at some point

#25 Posted by space_rest (29 posts) -

HHhhhmmm.... ''NO''...

#26 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

@one_plum said:

Perhaps a longer life with slower aging. Immortality sucks.

#27 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -

Yeah but only for a little while.

#28 Posted by Boddicker (4243 posts) -

There have been very many interesting sci-fi books that covered this exact topic.

The most believable I've found put the limit at around 150 years before insanity started to creep in. The human mind is simply not designed last more than ~90-100 years. That is why Vampires will never, ever make sense in the real world.

Perhaps if the human mind could be altered somehow. You youngens are saying of course I would like to live forever, but middle aged and older are saying different.

#29 Edited by theone86 (20555 posts) -

Hell no, just long enough to establish a global empire. In all seriousness, I would do it if I had an off switch. Elves always seem to have it best, they either go to some heaven-like island to cavort with godlike beings for the rest of their days or they just go to sleep for a while, then wake back up and go on living until they get bored. That would actually be awesome, I wish I could go to sleep now and wake up in a hundred years.

#30 Posted by Darthkaiser (12447 posts) -

@Boddicker: You mention an interesting point, after a while insanity starts to kick in, either that or disgust with living forever. For example The Doctor has lvied around 900 years and sometimes even he feels disguste with his long lifespan, but I digreess

What if the person is already insane?

As for me, sure I'd like it

#31 Posted by Boddicker (4243 posts) -

@Darthkaiser said:

@Boddicker: You mention an interesting point, after a while insanity starts to kick in, either that or disgust with living forever. For example The Doctor has lvied around 900 years and sometimes even he feels disguste with his long lifespan, but I digreess

What if the person is already insane?

As for me, sure I'd like it

I would imagine his insanity, and probably even sociopathy, would increase the longer he lived.

Life would mean less and less to a person (like a vampire) that would see themselves continuing on no matter what.

I'm facing my mortality right now with an incurable brain tumor and only have a few years left. I'm 34. If there is a higher power out there I will beg him to let me sleep a dreamless sleep. But personally I have never seen one thing that would make me even believe in a God. Examine the evidence for yourself.

#32 Posted by bobaban (10560 posts) -

Yes, I don't get why people say no.

I would keep my mid-20's looks and body for my life. I can just kill myself when I get to 100 if I'm bored.

#33 Posted by KiIIyou (27180 posts) -

Will it come with dipping sauce?

#34 Posted by Glitter (355 posts) -

Of course not, then I have to put up with all you rude and mean people forever. All I want is to go to heaven and finally be accepted.

#35 Edited by Wistful_Gamer (25 posts) -

Only if I'd be the only human alive, but then I'd probably go insane. So, no.

#36 Edited by uninspiredcup (20208 posts) -

Only if Queen made a cool song about it and I had a shitty Scottish accent.

Loading Video...

Highlander man made a good point. Seeing your family and friends die would be shit. Seeing how your dog dies within 10 years is shit. Having that over and over would probably make you detach yourself from humanity I think.

#37 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

only if i get to become a cyborg!

just being human is unacceptable

#38 Posted by Stranger_36 (525 posts) -

Probably not.

#39 Posted by megagene (23138 posts) -

I would gladly take conditional immortality in the sense that I would live forever, but I could end my life if or when I chose to because I guarantee there would come a point where I'd say enough is enough.

#40 Posted by brimmul777 (2954 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

Not in a world like this. It's tough enough.

This is the best answer yet.Yes I would want to live forever,but not in this shitty world we all live in.To much hunger,pain,injustice,violence,etc......

#41 Posted by SUD123456 (4695 posts) -

@Boddicker:

Sorry to hear that. I am recovering from catastrophic illness which came close to finishing me, but after 6 months my body has started to rally and now it looks like I will make it. I learned a lot about myself, my wife, and my daughter when I was most ill. I was not ready to go yet and you are far younger than I, so don't give up. Fight every day... things can happen.

#42 Posted by MarioFan264 (839 posts) -

No. Living forever would be a curse. Losing family and friends would be part of that, but even if that was an exception in this case as you said, it would still be a curse.

I'd just wish for a normal, healthy somewhat long life.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#43 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (4547 posts) -

Yeah, I don't want to die. And that would mean more time to obsess over my Waifus.

#44 Edited by comp_atkins (33452 posts) -

@megagene said:

I would gladly take conditional immortality in the sense that I would live forever, but I could end my life if or when I chose to because I guarantee there would come a point where I'd say enough is enough.

exactly. if there's no way out, it's awful in the long run

#45 Edited by bforrester420 (3393 posts) -

I wouldn't. Life becomes tedious after a while. I would be curious to know what eventually causes our extinction, however.

what @megagene said

#46 Edited by undergroundLPx (710 posts) -

Definitely. I would love to see how technology has evolved 100-500 years from now. And with new advances come new ways of life that would change our living experience dramatically.

Life as a human would remain dynamic enough to stay interesting.

#47 Edited by foxhound_fox (95256 posts) -

In my current body? Lord no.

If my consciousness can be digitized and placed into an artificial mechanical platform, that, while being capable of lasting for an incredibly long amount of time, still being a finite thing, then I would certainly do that. Living indefinitely, and seeing the decay of absolutely everything in the universe, including the universe itself, would be beyond depressing. I'm not sure how people can find the concept of literal immortality intriguing.

#48 Posted by Boddicker (4243 posts) -

@SUD123456 said:

@Boddicker:

Sorry to hear that. I am recovering from catastrophic illness which came close to finishing me, but after 6 months my body has started to rally and now it looks like I will make it. I learned a lot about myself, my wife, and my daughter when I was most ill. I was not ready to go yet and you are far younger than I, so don't give up. Fight every day... things can happen.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better and almost dying brought you closer to your wife and child. I have a feeling that I would do something similar if put in your position, but alas at 34 I've never been married (got close a couple times) and thankfully have no children. I don't even want to risk passing on this horror to a child.

No, my brain tumor is rarish (oligodendroglioma grade III) and is 100% fatal. It's probably chromosomal, but they really don't know. I just want my last few handful of years to be peaceful. My only regret is that I graduated Valedictorian of my class in Nov and came home to this devastating news that the tumor had changed grades. Now I stare at my degrees on the wall because I'm unhirable lol.

#49 Edited by PsychoLemons (2970 posts) -

Nope. It would only make you suffer.