Would you support any of the following?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -

6 year terms for President: Basically whoever is in the big chair gets 6 years, no more, no less. They can't run again afterwards either. This eliminates all this 4 years/4 years+campaigning in the moddle stuff that people seem to have grown tired of. Plus in his 4th year, how can he get anything at all done if he's constantly campaigning?

Popular Vote elects the President: We do away with the whole electoral college and just elect the President based on popular vote. Your vote might actually count for something now! (probably not, but at least there's a bigger illusion that it does.)

Election Day a Federal Holiday: Because people like to complain that, "they just have the hardest time finding time to vote". Hey, its either this, or we move to a 36 hour day.

Legalize Pot: Legalize it and tax the heck out of it. This not only stimulates the economy, but gives you something to do at work. It also makes those Magic Eye books much more enjoyable.

Age Limits for Justices: Ginsberg is like 80 now, and rumor has it, she'll be the nect to go. Scalia ia around 74, but he'll probably have to be wheeled out on a stretcher. Clarence Thomas has been past his prime since he was 30. (come on, you know its true. ) Should there be an age limit for these guys?

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Popular vote x infinity. For the love of God, get rid of the EC.

#3 Posted by konvikt_17 (22237 posts) -

Popular vote

and

legalize marijuana

#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151100 posts) -
Popular vote for sure......no more electoral college. Then we might have more than two parties.
#5 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Popular vote and marijuana. I'd also shorten the terms of Senators.
Popular vote for sure......no more electoral college. Then we might have more than two parties.LJS9502_basic
Even then, we all know which parties the money will back. :p
#6 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Popular vote for sure......no more electoral college. Then we might have more than two parties.LJS9502_basic
At the very least, everyone's vote would actually count, regardless of where they live.

#7 Posted by KiIIyou (27146 posts) -
I vote NO, lady.
#8 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
Legalize pot....would solve a lot of problems in the failed drug war. Plus, you could tax it like alcohol and tobacco.
#9 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Legalize pot....would solve a lot of problems in the failed drug war. Plus, you could tax it like alcohol and tobacco.KC_Hokie
I'm on the fence about pot. If it's legalized, I'd like to see gambling and prostitution/brothels also fully legalized and taxed. That trio would bring in hundrets of billions anually in taxes.

#10 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -
Ive never understood why we got by the Electoral Vote, rather than the popular vote. It's stupid.
#11 Posted by DoomZaW (6471 posts) -

Is it just me or does the legalize pot option seem completely out of subject?

#12 Posted by thegerg (15270 posts) -
yes
#13 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Legalize pot....would solve a lot of problems in the failed drug war. Plus, you could tax it like alcohol and tobacco.Pirate700

I'm on the fence about pot. If it's legalized, I'd like to see gambling and prostitution/brothels also fully legalized and taxed. That trio would bring in hundrets of billions anually in taxes.

As long as prostitution is in a controlled state, then thats fine. I dont really agree with it, but people can use their bodies however they want. I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard it was legal in Nevada AND the girls had to go through the tests to detect STD's and they had to state whether or not they were clean or sick. Thats how it should be done.
#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

Legalize pot....would solve a lot of problems in the failed drug war. Plus, you could tax it like alcohol and tobacco.KC_Hokie

This also brings into question the quality... Not that I do such things *shifty-eyes*

#15 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42904 posts) -
Yes. Yes. No. Yes. No. Also, term limits for Congress.
#16 Posted by super600 (30666 posts) -

Ive never understood why we got by the Electoral Vote, rather than the popular vote. It's stupid. Cyanide4Suicid3

The politicans at that time thought that people weren;t good enough to make a good democratic choice.

#17 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -

DoomZaW
I needed 5 options. =P
#18 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Legalize pot....would solve a lot of problems in the failed drug war. Plus, you could tax it like alcohol and tobacco.Cyanide4Suicid3

As long as prostitution is in a controlled state, then thats fine. I dont really agree with it, but people can use their bodies however they want. I dont know if this is true or not, but I heard it was legal in Nevada AND the girls had to go through the tests to detect STD's and they had to state whether or not they were clean or sick. Thats how it should be done.

It's legal in Nevada outside of city limits.

#19 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42904 posts) -
[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

Allicrombie
I needed 5 options. =P

Closet pot head confirmed.
#20 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42904 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cyanide4Suicid3"]Ive never understood why we got by the Electoral Vote, rather than the popular vote. It's stupid. super600

The politicans at that time thought that people weren;t good enough to make a good democratic choice.

They're practically still right.
#21 Posted by Cyanide4Suicid3 (783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cyanide4Suicid3"]Ive never understood why we got by the Electoral Vote, rather than the popular vote. It's stupid. super600

Well, theyre damn idiots. The popular vote should indicate the winner, not the electoral votes where the higher population gets the more votes that really matter.
#22 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -
[QUOTE="Allicrombie"][QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

Stevo_the_gamer
I needed 5 options. =P

Closet pot head confirmed.

LOL
#23 Posted by lundy86_4 (43438 posts) -

Also, I vote getting rid of the Electoral College.

#24 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42904 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="Cyanide4Suicid3"]Ive never understood why we got by the Electoral Vote, rather than the popular vote. It's stupid. Cyanide4Suicid3

Well, theyre damn idiots.

Are you sure when people like this are allowed to vote? :P

#25 Posted by muller39 (14944 posts) -

Legalize.

#26 Posted by Abbeten (2898 posts) -

The EC doesn't really accomplish what the founders intended, though. Instead of letting the thronging masses of idiots decide the presidency, that power now rests with a small subsection of idiots in a few swing states. I generally lean towards doing away with it.

I don't really see the need for 6 year terms for presidents.

Making election day a federal holiday is an okay idea, but I'm more in favor of changing the date to encompass an entire weekend, so polls open on Saturday morning and close Sunday evening. That way, businesses don't get interrupted and everyone has plenty of time to vote.

Marijuana should probs be legalized.

Age limits can be a little iffy. Some justices remain mentally competent far past an age where it might be expected.

#27 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
I like the concept behind the electoral college but not the way it's currently set up. The electoral votes should be directly linked to the popular vote. And those electoral votes should be able to go to anyone. I don't like entire states going one way or another when the popular vote is close.
#28 Posted by Abbeten (2898 posts) -
so then why not just do away with the middleman
#29 Posted by ghoklebutter (19327 posts) -
Popular vote.
#30 Posted by CycleOfViolence (3314 posts) -

Popular vote

#31 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
so then why not just do away with the middlemanAbbeten
Because the electoral college protects a federal system where the larger states don't push around the smaller ones.
#32 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
- I support the idea that the popular vote chooses a leader, whether in the US or otherwise. - I do support the legalization of marijuana. - I do not support the commodification and taxation of marijuana, as it is a natural product that can be grown anywhere, contains numerous medicinal benefits (that could be corrupted by pharmaceutical companies) and any legislation or regulations placed on it would merely create another illegal market to be controlled by organized crime. Buying marijuana like we buy beer and cigarettes is a naïve pipedream. - I do support the idea that a chief of justice should be in their prime and removed from power after their abilities begin to wane. - I do support proactive attempts to get more people to vote. A national holiday is only one step out of many that need to be taken. - I do support the idea of a single term for any one leader, but the length of which would be hard to really determine.
#33 Posted by Abbeten (2898 posts) -
[QUOTE="Abbeten"]so then why not just do away with the middlemanKC_Hokie
Because the electoral college protects a federal system where the larger states don't push around the smaller ones.

But the other side of that coin is that you're just diminishing the influence that individuals in larger states have in their government.
#34 Posted by l4dak47 (6838 posts) -
Popular vote, pot and other drugs legalized as well as prostitution and things like that.
#35 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"][QUOTE="Abbeten"]so then why not just do away with the middlemanAbbeten

But the other side of that coin is that you're just diminishing the influence that individuals in larger states have in their government.

That's a great way to start a secessionist movement too.
#36 Posted by Aljosa23 (24993 posts) -

- One 6 year term with Congressman and Senators having elections every year
- Sure
- Sure
- Duh
- Don't care, should be based on merit

#37 Posted by thegerg (15270 posts) -
Making election day a federal holiday is an okay idea, but I'm more in favor of changing the date to encompass an entire weekend, so polls open on Saturday morning and close Sunday evening. That way, businesses don't get interrupted and everyone has plenty of time to vote.Abbeten
Let's not forget about those that work all weekend though.
#38 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

Aljosa23

I can agree with this. A six year term but you only get one.

#39 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Let's not forget about those that work all weekend though.thegerg
There has been some success with early polling in Canada recently. I think the major problem, that people make the excuses for, is just voter apathy.
#40 Posted by KC_Hokie (16099 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

Pirate700

I can agree with this. A six year term but you only get one.

I think that's what the founding fathers were thinking when they created the Senate. Life expectancy was only 35 in 1790.

#41 Posted by roulettethedog (10972 posts) -

Term limits is the only one on this list that I'd support.

#42 Posted by thegerg (15270 posts) -
[QUOTE="thegerg"]Let's not forget about those that work all weekend though.Zeviander
There has been some success with early polling in Canada recently. I think the major problem, that people make the excuses for, is just voter apathy.

There has also been success with early voting in the US. That has nothing to do with my post though.
#43 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
Amen to this.
#44 Posted by thegerg (15270 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Popular vote for sure......no more electoral college. Then we might have more than two parties.Travo_basic
Amen to this.

Uh, we DO have more than two parties.
#45 Posted by Abbeten (2898 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Popular vote for sure......no more electoral college. Then we might have more than two parties.Travo_basic
Amen to this.

still wouldn't do much on it's own. we'd need to switch to proportional representation.
#46 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -
I def support pot, but not age limits Others I would have to think about (esp. the electoral college)
#47 Posted by dave123321 (34076 posts) -
Yes to all but 2
#48 Posted by jimkabrhel (15419 posts) -

Populate vote. Term limits on Congressmen and Senators. Term limit on SC Justices. Legalize Pot. Legalize gay marriage.

#49 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
Yes to all the options.