Would Heath Ledger receive as much publicity...

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cricket_foreva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cricket_foreva
Member since 2006 • 306 Posts

Do you guys think that Heath Ledger would have received as much publicity for his role as the Joker if he hadnt passed away?.

For some odd reason i dont think so because he never seemed to receive much publicity for any of his roles, nevertheless, i think he looks fantastic playing the Joker.

david_critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 david_critic
Member since 2004 • 3305 Posts
Most likely he wouldn't of, but nevertheless he was a good actor.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Probably not the same amount but yea he could've still gotten a lot since joker is a damn badass character :D
EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
No, just like Tupac, neither would be praised as much as they are now if they where alive.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts

Heath Ledger played The Joker in the new Batman film? Living in Britain, I've seen very little of it. But wow; make-up can do a helluva lotta good!

momo372

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 momo372
Member since 2005 • 2641 Posts
His talent as an actor was off the scale, he will be missed. R.I.P Heath Ledger
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
If he does as well in the movie as the preview, then yes I think he would get a lot of attention.
Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I still wonder why when a person dies they ecome the greatest person ever to live. (That is, not including the truly evil men like Hitler Still, The Dark Knight is a huge film, whether or not Ledger died.
BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#9 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts
He already was getting a lot of attention and praise for his performance. His death only escalted it all.
MM87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MM87
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
I think he would have. It's bothered me from the beginning when all the focus was on him. I wished more of a focus was on Batman but when Ledger died the focus went from 60% on the Joker to about 100%.
miinnx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 miinnx
Member since 2007 • 612 Posts

He got a lot of attention for his role as a gay cowboy. Which he did an amazing job at.

Im sure he would have gotten a lot of attention whether he was dead or not though. People always have strong opinions about who plays the joker.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
There was a lot of hype for his role as the Joker even before he died, so yeah.
curtkobain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 curtkobain
Member since 2005 • 3898 Posts
hes already on the lead for supporting actor in the oscar race eventhough the movie hasnt come out yet.
SonyIsh6Fotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SonyIsh6Fotta
Member since 2007 • 658 Posts
I don't think he would have, alot of attention is on him because people are watching it and saying to themselves checkout the dead guys performance, in other words, alot of infacise (know I didn't spell that right) is on him that othrwise would'nt be there.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
I heard he was going to be an amazing joker and the first teaser trailer really made me believe it.
Robertoey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Robertoey
Member since 2005 • 1996 Posts
Maybe not quite as much, but I still think he would've recieved a lot. He was a really talented actor, underated too. There was a lot of taboo (still is) surround him for his role in Brokeback Mountain.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
No he wouldn't have......not taking away from his work but that's how it goes.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

I still wonder why when a person dies they ecome the greatest person ever to live. (That is, not including the truly evil men like Hitler Still, The Dark Knight is a huge film, whether or not Ledger died.Cube_of_MooN

When Steve Irwin died, people laughed their asses off with comments like "haha, that's what he gets!"

bman784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bman784
Member since 2004 • 6755 Posts
His role would have gotten less publicity, but the movie itself would have probably been equally as hyped.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Whether he wins an Oscar for his role is not dependant on his suicide, it all depends on how well he sells the part. And from the looks of some stuff from the trailers, he will be doing it extraordinarily well. I do hope he does get posthumous recognition for his role in The Dark Knight, it would be a shame for his performance to go unnoticed.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

[QUOTE="Cube_of_MooN"]I still wonder why when a person dies they ecome the greatest person ever to live. (That is, not including the truly evil men like Hitler Still, The Dark Knight is a huge film, whether or not Ledger died.MrGeezer

When Steve Irwin died, people laughed their asses off with comments like "haha, that's what he gets!"

I was actually very said, I loved the guy, watched him all the time...but anyway

I dont think he would have gotten as much , but he still would have gotten praise, I mean the way he acted in the movie didnt magically change when he died, if the he was alive when it was released he would still be praised for the job he did, but since it was his last big role everyone is hyped to see how he did, and early reports say he was great.

Dethshoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Dethshoot
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

[QUOTE="Cube_of_MooN"]I still wonder why when a person dies they ecome the greatest person ever to live. (That is, not including the truly evil men like Hitler Still, The Dark Knight is a huge film, whether or not Ledger died.MrGeezer

He was still honored by many though after...

.. but yea if you die you become one of the best at what you do..

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SaintLeonidas

Whether he wins an Oscar for his role is not dependant on his suicide, it all depends on how well he sells the part. And from the looks of some stuff from the trailers, he will be doing it extraordinarily well. I do hope he does get posthumous recognition for his role in The Dark Knight, it would be a shame for his performance to go unnoticed.foxhound_fox

Yeah, I hope it doesnt, I mean they usually look over action movies when it comes to awards unless its sound and effects. From what I hear reviewers call it a masterpiece, and if it really is great and gets amazing reviews and it doesnt get consideration for even best picture it will show that the Oscars are bias against action/comic book movies.

CStheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CStheGreat
Member since 2008 • 705 Posts
Heath Ledger obviously wouldn't have received as much publicity now had he still been alive. Nevertheless, he was still a phenomenal actor and the movie was already hyped. I'm really looking forward to watching it. RIP
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
Whether he wins an Oscar for his role is not dependant on his suicide, it all depends on how well he sells the part. And from the looks of some stuff from the trailers, he will be doing it extraordinarily well. I do hope he does get posthumous recognition for his role in The Dark Knight, it would be a shame for his performance to go unnoticed.foxhound_fox

Um, wasn't it an accidental overdose? Not exactly suicide?

And while I don't think he would get *quite* this much attention, I'm quite sure he would get plenty of recognition for what looks to be a magnificent performance.
Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
I think he would have and he wouldn't have. I think it wouldn't be to the extent that it is now, I think he would have been extremely praised for his role in the film. I don't think Heath Ledger has done much as an actor, the only other movie where he made me believe he wasn't himself is "Brokeback Mountain" and The Dark Knight seems to be the only other role where I can't see him and can only see his character.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Probably not, but he was a great actor. It's just sad that some people are only realizing that now. :(
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SaintLeonidas

Probably not, but he was a great actor. It's just sad that some people are only realizing that now. :(Bloodbath_87

saddest is he was only 28, he had a huge career in front of him

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
he didnt get much publicity when he died :?
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
hell i didnt even know he was the joker till he passed away
Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
No, just like Tupac, neither would be praised as much as they are now if they where alive.EVOLV3
What about Kurt Cobain?
loseittoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 loseittoo
Member since 2007 • 416 Posts
i would always remember him as the guy who sang "Too good to be True"
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

hell i didnt even know he was the joker till he passed awayFUBAR24

Neither did I :P

C_BozkurT_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 C_BozkurT_C
Member since 2008 • 3580 Posts
No, just like Tupac, neither would be praised as much as they are now if they where alive.EVOLV3
wait, so you're saying 2Pac is overrated? riiiiight lol
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Um, wasn't it an accidental overdose? Not exactly suicide?

And while I don't think he would get *quite* this much attention, I'm quite sure he would get plenty of recognition for what looks to be a magnificent performance.
Rockclmbr6

That could never be determined unless we were to ask Heath himself. I do remember that he had said at a certain point that his role as the Joker "consumed him" to the point of serious depression.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockclmbr6"]Um, wasn't it an accidental overdose? Not exactly suicide?

foxhound_fox

That could never be determined unless we were to ask Heath himself. I do remember that he had said at a certain point that his role as the Joker "consumed him" to the point of serious depression.

It was ruled accidental....not suicide.
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
I think he will, he did a wonderful job portraying the joker anyway..
Grouchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38 Grouchu
Member since 2003 • 7118 Posts
I just wonder if now, his performance as Joker will be on par with Nicholson's Joker. I know some people (IE my friend) that isn't seeing TDK just because of that. I know it won't be the same because of the circumstances (falling into vat of chemicals vs Scarecrow's crazy gas,) but I know Ledger's Joker will be crazy.
MedicMike66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MedicMike66
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts

There was Oscar talk as soon as his body was found. If he was alive it wouldn't have come so early, but the film would still be centered around him.

It's hard to believe he's been gone six months; I was looking forward to his interviews about the film.

blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blasto65_basic
Member since 2002 • 496 Posts
He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.
Jacboy71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jacboy71
Member since 2007 • 1421 Posts

He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.blasto65_basic

I take it you have'nt seen the patriot, Brokeback mountain, And even a knights tale he was a great actor and no doubt his role as the joker will be outstanding.;

blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blasto65_basic

[QUOTE="blasto65_basic"]He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.Jacboy71

I take it you have'nt seen the patriot, Brokeback mountain, And even a knights tale he was a great actor and no doubt his role as the joker will be outstanding.;

Seen The Patriot good movie but he was not the star of the movie, Brokeback mountain no interest in seeing and Knights tale was not that good of a movie lets be honest. And as for his role as Joker yes will be good but I think allot of other people could have pulled it off.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
[QUOTE="Jacboy71"]

[QUOTE="blasto65_basic"]He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.blasto65_basic

Seen The Patriot good movie but he was not the star of the movie, Brokeback mountain no interest in seeing and Knights tale was not that good of a movie lets be honest. And as for his role as Joker yes will be good but I think allot of other people could have pulled it off.

You should try Brokeback Mountain, I thought it was an incredible movie, the acting was superb! I felt sad for days after I saw it.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Oriental_Jams
Member since 2008 • 1610 Posts
He would still have received much publicity, but perhaps not as much.
blasto65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 blasto65_basic
[QUOTE="blasto65_basic"][QUOTE="Jacboy71"]

[QUOTE="blasto65_basic"]He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.TheFlush

You should try Brokeback Mountain, I thought it was an incredible movie, the acting was superb! I felt sad for days after I saw it.

Someday I might if it just happens to be on but just not my type of movie. Not because they are gay just not the love story type of guy

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="TheFlush"][QUOTE="blasto65_basic"][QUOTE="Jacboy71"]

[QUOTE="blasto65_basic"]He was a ok actor who now is some godly actor. He looks good as the joker but he is being made out to be this amazing actor and all because he is dead.blasto65_basic

Someday I might if it just happens to be on but just not my type of movie. Not because they are gay just not the love story type of guy

Same here. I watched it and found it to be sort of boring overall. Still, Heath Ledger WAS really good in it, even if I wasn't all that fond of the movie as a whole.

MedicMike66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MedicMike66
Member since 2007 • 886 Posts
His films were hit and miss, but he always churned out a great performance. He was by-far the best thing about Monster's Ball, which handed out the most undeserved Oscar in history.
giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 giyanks22
Member since 2007 • 209 Posts
The Dark Knight and Indy 4 were going to be the two biggest blockblusters of the summer, as of Jan. When Ledger died, and the Dark Knight became his last full film role, it escalated the Dark Knight to a whole new level. As of right now Indy 4's worldwide total is about $715,000,000 according to boxofficemojo.com. Indy 4 probably won't go much higher than that. The Dark Knight was expected to do about that, but I think now with Ledger dead i think the Dark Knight could easily make 1 billion. Because Indy 4 only made 310 million in the U.S., and my mom hates Batman, but she might see the Dark Knight just because it is Ledger's last movie. This is going to be a big contributor to the Dark Knight's sales, and it all thanks to Ledger not being able to read the dosage amount on the side of a pill bottle.
jharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jharv
Member since 2007 • 1774 Posts
Having seen the Dark Knight Thursday night I will say that not only this is Heath's best movie, but the best work he's ever done. He's really defined the joker and no one else could do what he did. It wasn't so much an peformance as much as he just disappeared into the joker role. Ledger will be nominated for an Oscar and it will be a damn shame if he doesn't win in. The Dark Knight is a great movie and is a sequel that is just good if not better than the original.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#50 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I doubt it would have been the focus of every trailer I've seen, but we already know about Bale/Batman, maybe the Joker was going to be the focus all along.