Women's World Cup Finals: USA vs. Japan

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xXCombatWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 xXCombatWombat
Member since 2009 • 1529 Posts

**** Japan.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]

woooo, japan!

they have much better footie supporters, they deserve to win.

UCF_Knight

Which is why the crowd was chanting "USA USA USA" throughout the match? Yeah, the US team has no support, they deserved to lose..

i wasn't talking about the people who are there, they do have supporters. just nowhere near as many as most countries.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

USA chokes to death on sushi roll. Good job Japan.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I knew USA couldn't win the second they started showing the earthquake footage in the pregame stuff...

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 UCF_Knight
Member since 2010 • 6863 Posts
i wasn't talking about the peoplw who are there, they do have supporters. just nowhere near as many as most countries.PcGamingRig
So what are you basing this off of then? Can you provide numbers as to how many more Japanese soccer fans there are, and how that somehow correlates to how much they 'deserve' to win?
squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 squitsquat
Member since 2005 • 1990 Posts

grats Japan

I just don't like that penalty kicks are about the luckier team rather than the better team

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

what a choke:(

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

Well now these women are more hated than Casey Anthony in America.

CJL13

Why would they be hated?

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

That was a great game, USA played really well. Gratz to Japan!

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#110 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

Sad to see the U.S. lose but I'm now slightly concerned that the win is going to interefere with the Sumo tournament coverage tonight.

CJL13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#111 CJL13
Member since 2005 • 19137 Posts

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

BMD004

Why would they be hated?

People have been killed for losing international games, you'd be surprised how deeply people take soccer seriously.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
[QUOTE="Gallego"]FUUUUUUU USA flopping on the PKs :xhesel
You will get used to it, like we do in England :cry: Suprisingly good game though, however I hate how games are decided on penalties.

I really like Soccer/ football. But it really is never big here except during the world cup. American Football tends to dominant the headlines to much.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Omedetoo gozaimasu Nihon!! :P Anyways that was a pretty good game! Better than Brazil vs Paraguay I'm currently watching...
squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 squitsquat
[QUOTE="CJL13"]

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

Why would they be hated?

People have been killed for losing international games, you'd be surprised how deeply people take soccer seriously.

this is the USA bro, most people didn't care about soccer till maybe the US-Brazil game
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 BMD004

[QUOTE="BMD004"]

[QUOTE="CJL13"]

CJL13

Why would they be hated?

I know that, and it is stupid. People who don't even play soccer kill their fellow citizens for being the best soccer players in their country? Like that makes any sense....

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

Sucks that we lost, but how ironic would it have been for America to be feeling good about winning a sport that is largely not cared about and won by the gender that usually dismissed when it comes to sports?

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 PcGamingRig

[QUOTE="hesel"][QUOTE="Gallego"]FUUUUUUU USA flopping on the PKs :xTetrarch9
You will get used to it, like we do in England :cry: Suprisingly good game though, however I hate how games are decided on penalties.

I really like Soccer/ football. But it really is never big here except during the world cup. American Football tends to dominant the headlines to much.

this is what i meant by my posts, there are fans during world cups and big games. but nowhere near as many dedicated fans all year round.

it seems to be only if theirs a chance at winning something huge.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Congrats to Japan.

But can't fifa find a better way to decide a game that isn't luck

squitsquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 squitsquat

Sucks that we lost, but how ironic would it have been for America to be feeling good about winning a sport that is largely not cared about and won by the gender that usually dismissed when it comes to sports?

Serraph105
That would have been ironic but just from talking to people where i live, though i know that's not the entire country, it seems like womens soccer did more for the sport than mens soccer
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#121 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="Gallego"]FUUUUUUU USA flopping on the PKs :xhesel

What makes it sting is that PKs were 5-3 against Brazil. :(

CJL13
Yes. So expect most US fans to embrace them when they come back and say "You fought hard, great job. We'll get 'em in 4, but the Olympics are next year!"
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 BMD004

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="hesel"] You will get used to it, like we do in England :cry: Suprisingly good game though, however I hate how games are decided on penalties.PcGamingRig

this is what i meant by my posts, there are fans during world cups and big games. but nowhere near as many dedicated fans all year round.

That's how it is when it comes to soccer in the U.S...

Nobody cares about soccer until the media slightly pushes some soccer coverage during World Cups and gets fans of other sports to casually watch just because it's their country playing and they know it's suppossed to be a big deal.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 UCF_Knight

PcGamingRig

It doesn't matter. Those women train year round regardless. The team that plays the hardest deserves to win. This time it was Japan. Saying a team 'deserved' to win because of any other reason is asinine. Just because you think there aren't any US soccer fans out there, doesn't mean their success should be inhibited.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]this is what i meant by my posts, there are fans during world cups and big games. but nowhere near as many dedicated fans all year round.

UCF_Knight

It doesn't matter. Those women train year round regardless. The team that plays the hardest deserves to win. This time it was Japan. Saying a team 'deserved' to win because of any other reason is asinine. Just because you think there aren't any US soccer fans out there, doesn't mean their success should be inhibited.

You can't hate Japan, they got the win becuase they finished, and US couldn't. If the US could have put away many of their great chances they would won. Heck the game could have been over before the half.

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#125 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

Serraph105

Not very ironic. The USwomen's soccer team has a history of being good, and probably has more loyal fans than the men's soccer team.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 UCF_Knight

[QUOTE="UCF_Knight"]

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]this is what i meant by my posts, there are fans during world cups and big games. but nowhere near as many dedicated fans all year round.

James161324

You can't hate Japan, they got the win becuase they finished, and US couldn't. If the US could have put away many of their great chances they would won. Heck the game could have been over before the half.

What the f*** are you talking about?

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#127 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Really wanted the US to win, but you kinda have to clap for Japan. They never gave up. I'm sure this win must be huge for their nation.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 PcGamingRig

UCF_Knight

yeh, i never said the girls didn't deserve to win.

i just don't like the fans talking it up and taking the glory and boasting about it when they only watch it for a month every four years.

if they won you know the whole of USA would be talking it up, even if they had never kicked a football in their lifetime.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 UCF_Knight

yeh, i never said the girls didn't deserve to win.

i just don't like the fans talking it up and taking the glory when they only watch it for a month every four years.PcGamingRig

Then don't pay attention to the fans.

I just don't like it when people make asinine comments about how they're glad another team won because "nobody cares about American soccer". Japan deserved to win because they played harder and never gave up, not because YOU think American fans suck.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"] Then don't pay attention to the fans.

I just don't like it when people make asinine comments about how they're glad another team won because "nobody cares about American soccer". Japan deserved to win because they played harder and never gave up, not because YOU think American fans suck.

UCF_Knight

[QUOTE="PcGamingRig"]yeh, i never said the girls didn't deserve to win.

i just don't like the fans talking it up and taking the glory when they only watch it for a month every four years.UCF_Knight

Then don't pay attention to the fans.

No offense, he is right though. However, caring about fans is irrelevant about which team deserves to win so I can understand what you are saying.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 fighter91
Oh and lol at the commercial right after the game ended, the one with Hope Solo saying the team can handle pressure. IRONY is a ^&%^&%^
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#132 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzDzIUDex8 The reactions that people are having are crazy. I could not view a single tweet about it on Twitter because of how active the discussion was. The game itself was intense. After the 68 minute mark everything changed.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

Was a great game till luck won over skill.

Nature of the game I guess.

fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 fighter91
Oh and one last thing, the last penalty that was hit by Japan takes incredible skill. shooting the ball at the top corner is incredibly difficult even from the penalty mark. Huge credit to that Japanese player for such a clutch shot.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
Great game. Sucks we lost, but I'm happy for Japan.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts
Even I, as a hater of all sports, must admit it was a good game of people kicking balls into nets.
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#137 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
Haha, my Japanese mother just found out now and is screaming. :D She said the USA had the better talent, but was happy Japan won.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

Haha, my Japanese mother just found out now and is screaming. :D She said the USA had the better talent, but was happy Japan won.Mr_Cumberdale

hehe my daughter was over reacting as well when Japan won :lol:

I'm happy for them..they needed something good to happen this year.

drufeous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 drufeous
Member since 2004 • 2535 Posts

I prefer watching the womens game over the mens. They don't spend half of the game rolling on the ground holding there ankles everytime they make contact like the men do and don't complain nearly as much. I believe the women made soccer more popular in the USA with there toughness. I found myself actually caring about soccer for the first time and my wife actually watched the whole game and was impressed by the lack of crying and rolling on the ground.

fooZar777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 fooZar777
Member since 2009 • 611 Posts

I couldn't bear myself to watch the final when there was also a real football game happening at the same time. At the same time I'm happy the USA didn't win because that would surely translate over to the mediocre men's team.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Great game, watched the whole thing. I honestly thought USA had it in the bag because they were all over Japan for the first 20 minutes, but then Japan found a rhythm and didn't give in. I think both teams played great football but I think it was more fatigue than skill that drew a winner in the end. Not taking anything away from Japan at all because they played some fantastic football, but they seemed to dig their heels in a little more whereas I don't think USA had any more stamina or energy to give. USA should be proud of their performance though, both teams should. You don't take a game right to the wire by being rubbish.

MattDistillery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 MattDistillery
Member since 2010 • 969 Posts

Have to say reading this thread as a European is really wierd. Something I just can't put my finger on in terms of how this defeats been recieved.

Its like you've wished the other team well, its boggled my mind.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

Have to say reading this thread as a European is really wierd. Something I just can't put my finger on in terms of how this defeats been recieved.

MattDistillery
As a latinamerican it also boggles my mind too. They lost and not one single riot or burned car in the streets? These people clearly don't get soccer very well yet.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts

I don't follow soccer, but that was BS at the end when Alex Morgan got hit when she was about to win the whole thing, guess this is why Americans don't like soccer :P

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

MattDistillery

Americans love underdogs, and that's what Japan was here. The feeling I got from people was "If the US can't win, at least let it be Japan, since they deserve to have something good happen to them," but then we met them in the final. That feeling came back though, but more importantly, I think people who watched it can respect both team's toughness, and Japan just wanted it a bit more at the end. Japan's success doesn't have to come at the expense of our cheering the US team.

Thing is, the only time you really see riots is after a big win, unless if you're in Oakland, then they destroy things no matter what happens. :P

taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#146 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts

MattDistillery

Well when it's a team that's had a history of being bad. Then out of nowhere, on a year where the nation has gone through a disastrous tsunami and a near-nuclear disaster, they come out and win the World Cup. It's something you don't hear of all the time.

Believe me, there are still a lot of people angry over it, and I am very disappointed too (and still am). But it's a good win for Japan, and their story through the world cup has been amazing.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts
I don't follow soccer, but that was BS at the end when Alex Morgan got hit when she was about to win the whole thing, guess this is why American's don't like soccer :P-RocBoys9489-
How exactly? There was no guarantee whatsoever that Morgan would have scored. The Japanese player got sent off and USA were given a free kick. What more do you want, for the referee to rewind time?
-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

Made new signature :D

laus_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 laus_basic
Member since 2002 • 8300 Posts

Congrats to Japan!
Happy for them especially after the bad luck they had with the tsunami and all.

Looking forward to next year's olympic. Hopefully my team(France) will fix their godawful defense and goaltending.

UCF_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 UCF_Knight
The feeling I got from people was "If the US can't win, at least let it be Japan, since they deserve to have something good happen to them," but then we met them in the final.MAILER_DAEMON
This exactly. I would've been upset if they lost to anyone else. This is the best case scenario though without the US winning. The women's team has gotten a ton of well deserved attention, and Japan has something to celebrate.