Why so less female gamers?

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AkhilAnilkumar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 1

#1 AkhilAnilkumar
Member since 2010 • 679 Posts

Hey, I know that this song has been sung before but think about this...why are there a lack of female gamers in the gaming society. I mean, it's not like video games are a guy thing like Axe brand deodrant or anything. Yet whenever you take a good look at the gaming world you see that there is a huge gap between the no of guys out there gaming and the number of girls who game. Even the ones that do game are often not hardcore gamers and are only into soft titles.

Any idea why this has happened or what can be done about this then puh-lease post it.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#2 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Hey, I know that this song has been sung before but think about this...why are there a lack of female gamers in the gaming society. I mean, it's not like video games are a guy thing like Axe brand deodrant or anything. Yet whenever you take a good look at the gaming world you see that there is a huge gap between the no of guys out there gaming and the number of girls who game. Even the ones that do game are often not hardcore gamers and are only into soft titles.

Any idea why this has happened or what can be done about this then puh-lease post it.

AkhilAnilkumar

Because a girl rather spend 60 bucks on a pair of tank tops and a parfume, rather than GTA IV (for example)...

My girl has finished Oblivion and Dragon Age Origins twice now and she usually kicks b*tt on Halo Series...but she is not a hard core gamer...

Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts
hmm gee let me think, could it be that a big majority of girls do not like video games?
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

hmm gee let me think, could it be that a big majority of girls do not like video games?tastetheacidmil
He's asking why.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Where to start... Basically a lot of male gamers treat women like sex objects i.e. most female VG characters. If they're real they just get more hormonal.
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

my gf would rather watch crap TV like soaps and glee and spend the cash on shoes. she like the odd game, she really likes gears (the only game she's ever finished), she played WoW with me for a while and she is addicted to Cut the Rope on my iphone.

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Because they'd rather watch TV, I guess.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
The female gamer complex again...
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts

I think its like 40%

Its not that significantly less.

Although that may count farmvile :x

snugglebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 snugglebear
Member since 2004 • 5015 Posts

Because there aren't enough games that appeal to their interests, like Cooking Mama. :twisted:

Avatar image for deactivated-587633796662c
deactivated-587633796662c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 deactivated-587633796662c
Member since 2009 • 6979 Posts
Because women are smarter :P
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Most of today's games aren't marketed to females. But there are games that girls play, such as RPGs (Bioware games are quite popular amongst them), MMOs, platformers, Facebook games. That's not to say they don't play FPS's, RTS's, racing or sports games at all, these games aren't just popular among female gamers.
Avatar image for deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
deactivated-605ba7fd6332a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-605ba7fd6332a
Member since 2005 • 12039 Posts

Because the gaming gene is x-linked recessive. Males easily express it if inherited, due to the hemizygous state. Whereas females must be homozygous recessive to express it (inheritance from both parents).

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Japan also has an advantage because all Japanese look the sameEvil_Saluki
Ahhh, casual racism.
Metal_Mario99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Metal_Mario99
Member since 2005 • 1426 Posts

There are things that guys do and there are things that girls do. That's the way it's always been, and that's the way it always will be. Why is the police force dominated overwhelmingly by men? Why aren't more women interested in a career in law enforcement?

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

[QUOTE="Evil_Saluki"]Japan also has an advantage because all Japanese look the samekamikaze_pigmy
Ahhh, casual racism.

There is also sexium in there too, you might want to quote that while your jumping up on your moral high horse mr.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The majority of girls and women (at least those in the family/relatives) regard video gaming as childish and immature....definitely not cool as some here think. There's no female gamer in the family past the age of 16. But, us guys don't care about being cool. Video gaming is fun and that's all that matters.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Most girls I know would rather spend their money on other things. /shrugs

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Evil_Saluki

travisstaggs

This simple answer that's been said a few times is in fact very true. My girlfriend is an example. She loves playing Champions Online (which I also play on and off) but doesn't want to pay the subscription because she would rather spend that money on other stuff, like drinks, food, cloths, wine, chocolate all sorts. I pay her subscription for her because it's more fun to chat to her on that then it is to use MSN heh.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Ah I see that this thread has popped up yet again. I'm surprised that there haven't been more girl gamers ferociously defending themselves yet purposely calling attention to themselves while complaining that they hate attention. To tell you the truth, I don't know. I guess a lot of the subject matter that's common in video games isn't appealing to a lot of girls. Perhaps a lot of girls just write all video games off because they've only been exposed to, for example, Halo, and they don't find it appealing, so they assume that most video games are like that and then they don't bother. I know a lot of girls who play video games, most of whom play casual games on the Wii or things like Guitar Hero, but that number still doesn't compare to the number of guys I know who play video games. I think that more and more people, including girls, are getting into video games as the years go by.
nottu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nottu
Member since 2010 • 951 Posts
I don't get your post. The difference isn't that great, it only seems that great because the girls that do game, don't let people know. Anytime guys find out that the person behind the character is a girl, they start making sexist remarks. Thus making the girl uncomfortable, which then makes the girl not want to reveal that she is a female in future instances.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Evil_Saluki

I'm surprised that there haven't been more girl gamers ferociously defending themselves yet purposely calling attention to themselves while complaining that they hate attention.t3hrubikscube

Loved that. I think the reason for that is we are waiting for the next generation of fresh faced young puppies to pop up and start filling those shoes. The last load may of been swooned off their feat in real life and no longer need the special attention they got from this lot.

Seiki_sands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Seiki_sands
Member since 2003 • 1973 Posts

Nothing innate I suspect, just cultural history. It's obviously changing rapidly.

Tech hobbyists of the 60's and 70's, the Japanese companies of the 80's and 90's, all male dominated in a big way. Now that it's a massive industry the demographics of making games are changing slowly, and the demographics of game consumption are changing rapidly (thank God, in my opinion, more diversity is beyond welcome). If you look at the tiny niche genres where women were always more involved in the process of game-making, like PC Adventures for instance, the audience has always skewed both older and more female than the rest of the industry.

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns.
Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Evil_Saluki

* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns. xhellcatx

So that's why this game is so frigging popular.

snugglebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 snugglebear

* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns. xhellcatx

I'm surprised you had time to get away from your Easybake Oven and knitting.:o

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xhellcatx

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"]* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns. Evil_Saluki

I just died... on the inside... cause I had NO idea.. *facepalms and cries*

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xhellcatx

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"]* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns. snugglebear

I dont knit, i cross stitch! Gah, will no one ever understand me??!! *cries and goes bakes cookies and eats a gallon of ice cream*
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

It will increase the more gaming is made out to be sexy. Like in Japan it's bigger because you'll get some spunky young teen with pig tails go head into an arcade and skip about on one of those dance mat games going "Hey look at me, I'm a gamer, teeheehee, ain't I cute! This is so my scene" And then she will get male attention and develop more social life. Japan also has an advantage because all Japanese look the same, so the geeks also look like the rockstars, that's a seriously unfair advantage but you'll just have to live with it. Also, Japan has more neon lights so it's more futuristic, that means it's all cyberpunk so playing games adds to that cyberpunk element. In the UK we still got to make out like Queen Victoria owns the place.

That is my expert opinion.

Evil_Saluki
Pfff, you westerners all look the same too! :x
snugglebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 snugglebear
[QUOTE="xhellcatx"][QUOTE="snugglebear"]

I dont knit, i cross stitch! Gah, will no one ever understand me??!! *cries and goes bakes cookies and eats a gallon of ice cream*

Aww! How about I bake the cookies and you go play the video games. =D
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Some statistics from a study that I read stated that, on average, boys only play 40 percent more videogames than girls. It's a significant amount no doubt, but I didn't think girls played videogames at all. Don't ask for a source, I don't have it.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xhellcatx

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"][QUOTE="snugglebear"]

snugglebear

Aww! How about I bake the cookies and you go play the video games. =D

:shock: *puts you in her pocket* >_>

lexika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lexika
Member since 2009 • 873 Posts
Video games is mainly a "guy" thing. :P I don't know why more girls don't play though, video games are super fun I think.
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
Maybe they're sick of the majority of male gamers treating them like objects who are just there to be chatted up when online. Just a thought.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

because people make a big deal just because girls play videogames, just like your doing TC and that scares them off

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#39 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts
newsflash: there isn't a huge gap.
SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"]* can say this.. cause shes just joking.. and is a female gamer.. indeedily* ... Not Enough Pink Glitter and Horses. .. well.. Call of Juarez:bib has horses... umm.. ok. Not enough rainbow coloured unicorns. Evil_Saluki

No dude, if girls like all that, then they should play Diablo 3! >_>

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
Maybe they're sick of the majority of male gamers treating them like objects who are just there to be chatted up when online. Just a thought. MystikRex
Sometimes I wish I'd be a woman, so I could get free gold and epics in World of Warcraft. :P
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _Marisa_
Member since 2003 • 12204 Posts
[QUOTE="CommanderShiro"]

Dorkly

Yep

LAWL! ....He speaks the truth....
_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Marisa_
[QUOTE="Evil_Saluki"]Japan also has an advantage because all Japanese look the samekamikaze_pigmy
Ahhh, casual racism.

My thoughts exactly.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I blame men for this.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
...nReadingOrphan
Why do we allow comments like this to fly by? I've reported one before only to have it let through...
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I think there are more female gamers, but some hide their gender so they won't be swamped by PM and tracking requests.

_Marisa_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 _Marisa_
Because they are too busy making sandwitches in the kitchenReadingOrphan
This comment would have been more insulting if you could actually spell "sandwiches"; but now you simply look foolish and uneducated. Congratulations!
jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
[QUOTE="ReadingOrphan"]Because they are too busy making sandwitches in the kitchen_Marisa_
This comment would have been more insulting if you could actually spell "sandwiches"; but now you simply look foolish and uneducated. Congratulations!

Thats what my comment was directed to... I don't like this about gamespot I see comments like this every time women are brought up.
bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts

[QUOTE="travisstaggs"]

Evil_Saluki

This simple answer that's been said a few times is in fact very true. My girlfriend is an example. She loves playing Champions Online (which I also play on and off) but doesn't want to pay the subscription because she would rather spend that money on other stuff, like drinks, food, cloths, wine, chocolate all sorts. I pay her subscription for her because it's more fun to chat to her on that then it is to use MSN heh.

And that's a bad thing...?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
deactivated-5b5d7639964d6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5b5d7639964d6
Member since 2008 • 8225 Posts
There probably aren't enough threads asking about them.