Why people misunderstand DBGT.

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gaming25
Member since 2010 • 6181 Posts

DBGT is an amazing anime, but it seems like people dont like it because it is not like DBZ. Theyre right, its supposed to be different. Its supposed to pay homage to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I also find its fights direction a lot more about the struggle, why they fight, and doing something more than "who has teh higher power level". Its a really well written, plot driven story, but since it isnt morelike DBZ, people dont like it.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

.....I'm speechless.

MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts
You need to stop making topics about nothing.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gaming25
[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

.....I'm speechless.

Its true. People say plot holes make the story bad, but that doesnt make it a bad show.
ShadowDragon78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ShadowDragon78
Member since 2011 • 371 Posts
I liked it.....but not as much as Dragonball, 2nd would be Dragonball Z.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

I'll bite......DBGT isn't cannon so it doesn't matter. Also people don't hate on it simply because it's different than DBZ but because it ****ing sucks and destroys good characters. The plot is incredibly lame, goku turning into a kid was the worst thing they could have possibly done outside of destroying mostly every other character in the series. I really don't know how people could sit through it and watch it, even the fights were hilariously bad.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gaming25

I'll bite......DBGT isn't cannon so it doesn't matter. Also people don't hate on it simply because it's different than DBZ but because it ****ing sucks and destroys good characters. The plot is incredibly lame, goku turning into a kid was the worst thing they could have possibly done outside of destroying mostly every other character in the series. I really don't know how people could sit through it and watch it, even the fights were hilariously bad.

XileLord

The fights? Youre joking, the fights were very well done, probably better than DBZ. DBGT Bebi fight sequence is incredible.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

They are opinions.

Tbh, when I was little I stopped during GT. Got boring and plain.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
I still haven't seen Dragon Ball GT after all these years. I should get to it sometime and form my own opinion.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts

I'll be honest. I gave DBGT a chance and I actually watched the entire series... It had its moments, I'll give it that. But overall it falls short of DBZ and I think most people woud agree. Do I think DBGT is bad? No... but it's not great either.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

No it's not, it's terrible. Anything after the Cell saga is pure trash and most people don't like the android and cell sagas to begin with.

After Buu things stopped being cannon.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I still haven't seen Dragon Ball GT after all these years. I should get to it sometime and form my own opinion.Hexagon_777

Same here, I have only watched a few episodes of it sadly :(

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

I'll be honest. I gave DBGT a chance and I actually watched the entire series... It had its moments, I'll give it that. But overall it falls short of DBZ and I think most people woud agree. Do I think DBGT is bad? No... but it's not great either.

karasill

My thoughts exactly. It had some really good moments, but beyond that it fell short.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Dragon Ball: GT sucked. That is not an opinion.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

DBGT is an amazing anime, but it seems like people dont like it because it is not like DBZ. Theyre right, its supposed to be different. Its supposed to pay homage to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. I also find its fights direction a lot more about the struggle, why they fight, and doing something more than "who has teh higher power level". Its a really well written, plot driven story, but since it isnt morelike DBZ, people dont like it.

gaming25
No, it's because there are inconsistenies in the story. DBZ already has enough as it is. Dragonball is my favorite anime, but I would be lying if I said it didn't have flaws in the story.
gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gaming25
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

No, it's because there are inconsistenies in the story. DBZ already has enough as it is. Dragonball is my favorite anime, but I would be lying if I said it didn't have flaws in the story.

DBGT tried to make something new though with the story.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 branketra
[QUOTE="gaming25"]

The fights? Youre joking, the fights were very well done, probably better than DBZ. DBGT Bebi fight sequence is incredible.

They were good, but not as good as DBZ imo.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

I just assumed this was some sort of new sexual orientation.

Being DragonBall Z makes it much more lame.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 branketra
[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="gaming25"]

gaming25

DBGT tried to make something new though with the story.

Sure, but they changed established parts of it in the progress. What happened to Gohan being the second most powerful? He just turned into a super saiyan.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

No it's not, it's terrible. Anything after the Cell saga is pure trash and most people don't like the android and cell sagas to begin with.

Wasdie
That's good to hear. I stopped watching at the Cell saga, I think around his 3rd transformation. I've always wondered if I should bother completing the series, I guess not.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Er....I hate it because it was simply terrible. The character felt nothing like they did in DBZ. Goku in his Saiyan 4 form was a hell lot more cocky than he usually is (And I honestly think he's stronger in his Saiyan 3 form....). The story was bad and the fighting seemed flat. I just didn't like it, especially the crappy ending...
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i enjoyed the android 17 / omega shenron and baby battles. Haters gonna hate.
Martel100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Martel100
Member since 2010 • 343 Posts

danjammer69
This.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

The thing that I don't like is how they can get even stronger. SS3 was pretty much maxed out and Buu was supposed to be the strongest thing ever... Nope here comes along something even stronger and a stronger SS level.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 branketra
i enjoyed the android 17 / omega shenron and baby battles. Haters gonna hate.campzor
The battles were good.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

danjammer69

Same :lol:

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Agreed, although back when I gave a damn about DBZ, I did like the Cell Saga too.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
No it isn't. After Dragon Ball then DBZ it is an awful continuation that in my mind doesn't exist.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

People don't like it mainly because Pam was the most annoying character they created and she was in the majority of episodes. It was good but not great. Without her the show might of been better

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

People don't like it mainly because Pam was the most annoying character they created and she was in the majority of episodes. It was good but not great. Without her the show might of been better

fueled-system

no, people didn't like it because it had no flow or consistency. They kept pulling bad guys stronger than buu out of nowhere, they gave up on old fighting style and conventions, they gave up on the lore of the world. They just wanted bigger battles and they sacrificed everything to get them.

gaming25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gaming25

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Wasdie

no, people didn't like it because it had no flow or consistency. They kept pulling bad guys stronger than buu out of nowhere, they gave up on old fighting style and conventions, they gave up on the lore of the world. They just wanted bigger battles and they sacrificed everything to get them.

I do agree that it didnt have as much lore of the world, but their focus wasnt on big battles as it used to be.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
I almost cried and sulked when it said "The End" at the end but then again I was around 8 or 10.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I do like DBGT but I prefer the original DB.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

XileLord

GT is cannon. Toriyama himself oversaw its creation.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 branketra

[QUOTE="fueled-system"]

Wasdie

They killed off Piccolo and Krillin. Tien and Chiaotzu aren't anywhere.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra

[QUOTE="XileLord"]

Dark_Knight6

He oversaw its creation but didn't develop the story. So, many don't consider it canon.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"][QUOTE="fueled-system"]People don't like it mainly because Pam was the most annoying character they created and she was in the majority of episodes. It was good but not great. Without her the show might of been betterBranKetra

The above characters aren't in DBGT? What? :|

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="XileLord"]

BranKetra

He oversaw its creation but didn't develop the story. So, many don't consider it canon.

It's fairly arrogant to deny the canon status of something approved by the series creator simply because it is disliked. Until he says otherwise, it should be considered canon.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

It's fairly arrogant to deny the canon status of something approved by the series creator simply because it is disliked. Until he says otherwise, it should be considered canon.

At face value, I can agree with that. I recall reading in "The Art of Dragonball," Akira Toriyama wrote a note explaining how Dragonball came to be. During the development, he repeatedly wanted to end the story, but fans and other sources (family, job) suggested he continue. Eventually, he pleaded exhaustion at the end of Buu saga, saying he didn't want to do anymore. I guess some people see it was over when he, the creator, decided it was over.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]no, people didn't like it because it had no flow or consistency. They kept pulling bad guys stronger than buu out of nowhere, they gave up on old fighting style and conventions, they gave up on the lore of the world. They just wanted bigger battles and they sacrificed everything to get them.Hexagon_777

The above characters aren't in DBGT? What? :|

[spoiler] Krillin is killed by Android 17 and Piccolo dies when Bebi Vegeta blows up the earth. He stays because he feels ashamed that he couldn't defend it anymore. He eventually takes over Hell. I don't remember seeing Tien or Chiaotzu once. [/spoiler] It's in spoilers for a reason.

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"] He oversaw its creation but didn't develop the story. So, many don't consider it canon.

BranKetra

At face value, I can agree with that. I recall reading in "The Art of Dragonball," Akira Toriyama wrote a note explaining how Dragonball came to be. During the development, he repeatedly wanted to end the story, but fans and other sources (family, job) suggested he continue. Eventually, he pleaded exhaustion at the end of Buu saga, saying he didn't want to do anymore. I guess some people see it was over when he, the creator, decided it was over.

He decided it was over several times. But he was convinced to continue it and eventually allowed others to continue it under his supervision. I know GT is fairly horrible, but until he makes something else that rewrites the events after Dragon Ball Z, I don't really see how you can say it isn't canon.

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
Could never get into it. After Z it just seemed like a big letdown.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

He decided it was over several times. But he was convinced to continue it and eventually allowed others to continue it under his supervision. I know GT is fairly horrible, but until he makes something else that rewrites the events after Dragon Ball Z, I don't really see how you can say it isn't canon.

Actually, I remember hearing that DBZ will be extended by Toriyama himself. It was a month or so ago.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
The only good thing about DBGT is Super Saiyan 4 design and that's it. And the power difference from the transformation wasn't even that great considering it got pwned by the bad guys right away besides ]Gohan lost all his power, goten and trunks were pathetic fighters, everyone was so downgraded that the only serious guy was Super Saiyan 4 goku and Uub, even Vegeta was not really powerful until the last episodes. They made the Super Saiyan tranformation look like crap whenever they fought bad guys stronger than Buu who kept showing up out of nowhere. It may have been created on Toriyama's legacy but toriyama had nothing to do with GT he only produced it but as far as the story goes he had nothing to do with it. It was a good anime but comparing it to Dragon Ball Z it becomes less than average.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Dark_Knight6

[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]At face value, I can agree with that. I recall reading in "The Art of Dragonball," Akira Toriyama wrote a note explaining how Dragonball came to be. During the development, he repeatedly wanted to end the story, but fans and other sources (family, job) suggested he continue. Eventually, he pleaded exhaustion at the end of Buu saga, saying he didn't want to do anymore. I guess some people see it was over when he, the creator, decided it was over. BranKetra

Actually, I remember hearing that DBZ will be extended by Toriyama himself. It was a month or so ago.

I remember a rumor about that a few years ago but I've heard nothing since. I think DBZ ended just fine but if he wants to go back to make something that makes GT non-canon, I'm fine with that as well.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Dark_Knight6

I remember a rumor about that a few years ago but I've heard nothing since. I think DBZ ended just fine but if he wants to go back to make something that makes GT non-canon, I'm fine with that as well.

That was probably DBKai, which came out a couple years ago. There are a couple new Dragonball mangas, too. I don't have the new DBZ link, not to mention that the new mangas are about Bardock. So, that doesn't really help. We'll just have to wait and see.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dark_Knight6

All of this is really making me want to go and rewatch Dragon Ball and then maybe Dragon Ball Z. I fear they won't be as good as I remember.

ruffluffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ruffluffs
Member since 2008 • 1033 Posts

I kinda stopped caring about the series after watching the horrible buu saga.

DBZ has a nostalgic place in my heart but damn if it isnt stupid as hell sometimes

Gisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Gisen
Member since 2008 • 89 Posts

I kind of understand people not considering GT cannon, I do, but to each his own. Though, people who say they consider the BUU SAGA uncannon are so insulting to the creator and ignorant.