Why is Russia always viewed as "the bad guy"?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 CruxisXIII
Member since 2008 • 763 Posts

"A superpower is a cold war term. When people today say that Russia aspires to have this status, I interpret it in the following way: they want to undermine trust in Russia, to portray Russia as frightening, and create some kind of image of an enemy. ... Russia is in favor of a multipolar world, a democratic world order, strengthening the system of international law, and for developing a legal system in which any small country, even a very small country, can feel itself secure, as if behind a stone wall. ... Russia is ready to become part of this multipolar world and guarantee that the international community observes these rules. And not as a superpower with special rights, but rather as an equal among equals" - Vladimir Putin

Why is it that Russia is ALWAYS viewed negatively in the media? The Soviet Union did not do anything wrong at all except try to spread their idiology. Modern day Russia is always viewed as "the bad guy". What gives? It is a great nation with a unified populace if you take out he chechyns

Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Luncbox1
Member since 2006 • 4543 Posts
The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
I dont have anything against Russia. I'd love to visit Moscow.
CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CruxisXIII
The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. Luncbox1
who says being undemocratic is bad though? Vladimir Putin is a genius and one of the greatest, if not THE GREATEST, leader this world has ever seen since Ronald Reagan. This man isn't BAD for Russians, this man is excellent for Russians. He saved the nation and he is trying to make the world a safer place. His photo album was the highest selling item in Russia about a month ago AND he has the highest approval rating than any current world leader.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Stalin murdered countless millions of his own people during and after World War II. He puts Hitler to absolute shame. The Soviet/Stalin regime *is* "the bad guy" and is the reason for the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Why Russia is being viewed as "bad" in recent news is unknown to me. They were attacked by another nation and are retaliating. I don't view retaliation as a good way to uphold democracy but it is justified.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Luncbox1
[QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. CruxisXIII
who says being undemocratic is bad though? Vladimir Putin is a genius and one of the greatest, if not THE GREATEST, leader this world has ever seen since Ronald Reagan. This man isn't BAD for Russians, this man is excellent for Russians. He saved the nation and he is trying to make the world a safer place. His photo album was the highest selling item in Russia about a month ago AND he has the highest approval rating than any current world leader.

Okay. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Russian mafia Oh, did I say mafia? I meant government :P
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. Luncbox1

Okay. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Russian mafia Oh, did I say mafia? I meant government :P

And I thought my jokes were lame :? J/k bro.
Luncbox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Luncbox1
[QUOTE="Luncbox1"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. Matt-4542

And I thought my jokes were lame :? J/k bro.

It wasn't actually meant to be funny. I just always put a :P in posts in which I think people might get offended by.
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts

[QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. CruxisXIII

I feel like you didn't mention someone else...>.>

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CruxisXIII

[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. gameeer1

Medvedev is a puppet, Boris Yeltsin was a horrendous leader, and Gorbachev was an idiot (though a good man, but he should never EVER be dictator of a country EVER again)
gameeer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gameeer1
Member since 2006 • 16425 Posts
[QUOTE="gameeer1"]

[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="Luncbox1"]The Soviets did kind of oppress their people. And I wouldn't call Russia's government too democratic when the executive branch appoints the members of the judicial branch. I don't care what anyone says, but the leaders of a country being in charge of how the law is interpreted and carried out is undemocratic. CruxisXIII

Medvedev is a puppet, Boris Yeltsin was a horrendous leader, and Gorbachev was an idiot (though a good man, but he should never EVER be dictator of a country EVER again)

Not Soviet dictators...

Does anyone know who Josip Broz Tito was?

nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 nakasa5
Member since 2005 • 1429 Posts

I could give you a REALLY long answer, but instead I will just give you the short version.

First of all, the Soviet Union was guilty of way more than just spreading their ideology like you say. (Although their ideology was one that violates human rights). They were, and continue to be, an unpredictable force for instability. Stalin killed more innocent civilians than Hitler ever did. The communist regime violated numerous natural and basic rights, and jailed dissidents to their government. They were a closed society that covered up many atrocities, including their attempt to cover up the nuclear incident at Chernobyl. They put up walls, such as the one in Berlin, to keep their citizens in.

Today, Russia is different, but still operates in a similar way. Putin has established a one-party system, silenced the media, and local dissidents, as if it were the days of the Soviet Union all over again. Members of minority political parties are jailed and sometimes murdered. Check out this article of one of the more well-known occurences:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/19/world/main2199604.shtml

As far as the invasion of Georgia, read this article to get an idea of why Russia is seen as the "bad guy."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/raping_georgia_123664.htm

All you have to do is pick up a history book and see how Russia has continullay been a force of instability and violence in the world since 1917.

nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nakasa5

His approval rating is that high because people are afraid to voice dissent. They might diappear and never be seen again. I know people in Russia who can cooberate this. Also, google "Natan Sharansky" to see why Putin has such a high approval rating. Also worth noting- almost all oppresive dictators have high approval ratings, such as Omar Khadafi and Saddam Hussein.

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CruxisXIII

I could give you a REALLY long answer, but instead I will just give you the short version.

First of all, the Soviet Union was guilty of way more than just spreading their ideology like you say. (Although their ideology was one that violates human rights). They were, and continue to be, an unpredictable force for instability. Stalin killed more innocent civilians than Hitler ever did. The communist regime violated numerous natural and basic rights, and jailed dissidents to their government. They were a closed society that covered up many atrocities, including their attempt to cover up the nuclear incident at Chernobyl. They put up walls, such as the one in Berlin, to keep their citizens in.

Today, Russia is different, but still operates in a similar way. Putin has established a one-party system, silenced the media, and local dissidents, as if it were the days of the Soviet Union all over again. Members of minority political parties are jailed and sometimes murdered. Check out this article of one of the more well-known occurences:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/19/world/main2199604.shtml

As far as the invasion of Georgia, read this article to get an idea of why Russia is seen as the "bad guy."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008/postopinion/opedcolumnists/raping_georgia_123664.htm

All you have to do is pick up a history book and see how Russia has continullay been a force of instability and violence in the world since 1917.

nakasa5
The USSR saved the world from Nazism and genocide. Their regime brought about the end of the bloodiest war of all time.
nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nakasa5

The USSR saved the world from Nazism and genocide. Their regime brought about the end of the bloodiest war of all time.

Sure they did. They hated facism because it is the extreme opposite, yet just as violent and perverse, as communism. But it was not only the Soviets, the Americans and British did plenty as well.

Is that the only rebuttal you have? You need to look into this carefully and read your history. Who has been on the side of freedom, human rights, and democracy most of the time? America and western Europe.

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CruxisXIII

nakasa5

Sure they did. They hated facism because it is the extreme opposite, yet just as violent and perverse, as communism. But it was not only the Soviets, the Americans and British did plenty as well.

Most of the Nazi army was in East Europe. The Soviets did most of the work in taking Germany down. Churchill even admitted it when he said "the russian army was mainly responsible for ripping the guts out of the german army". The Soviets had to liberate many countries before getting to Germany.

The western world was not always on the side of "freedom, democracy, and basic human rights". The US set up dictatorships all along South America, the middle east (Iran), and in other countries.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#17 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

The Soviet Union did not do anything wrong at all except try to spread their idiology.

CruxisXIII

Er, they also killed tens of millions of their own people. I'm going to hope that that falls under the category of "wrong".

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CruxisXIII
[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

The Soviet Union did not do anything wrong at all except try to spread their idiology.

GabuEx

Er, they also killed tens of millions of their own people. I'm going to hope that that falls under the category of "wrong".

Well, I'm a firm believer that Stalin killed 25 (or whatever number they blaim him for these days) million to save 300 million. He had to modernize his nation because he saw that Europe was a time bomb waiting to explode in a bloody war. He had to race against time. Lets not always view Stalin as a bad guy, we can view him as a hero instead.
colonicjas2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 colonicjas2
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

CruxisXIII

Well, I'm a firm believer that Stalin killed 25 million to save 300 million. He had to modernize his nation because he saw that Europe was a time bomb waiting to explode in a bloody war. He had to race against time. Lets not always view Stalin as a bad guy, we can view him as a hero instead.

I really dont think that argument's gonna get you anywhere..

CruxisXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CruxisXIII
[QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

colonicjas2

Well, I'm a firm believer that Stalin killed 25 million to save 300 million. He had to modernize his nation because he saw that Europe was a time bomb waiting to explode in a bloody war. He had to race against time. Lets not always view Stalin as a bad guy, we can view him as a hero instead.

Why not? Stalin was an ally of the people and a comrade of the world. Without a man like Stalin, the world would be owned by Nazis.
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
commies.
colonicjas2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 colonicjas2
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts
[QUOTE="colonicjas2"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

CruxisXIII

Why not? Stalin was an ally of the people and a comrade of the world. Without a man like Stalin, the world would be owned by Nazis.

It's like Stalin says , "The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic". Most people view the 25 million he killed as 25 million tragedies, not just a statistic.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#23 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well, I'm a firm believer that Stalin killed 25 million to save 300 million. He had to modernize his nation because he saw that Europe was a time bomb waiting to explode in a bloody war. He had to race against time. Lets not always view Stalin as a bad guy, we can view him as a hero instead.CruxisXIII

Why exactly does one need to commit things like the Holodomor famine, considered by the Ukrainian government to have been an act of purposeful mass murder, as well as murdering any and all dissidents and political opponents, in order to modernize one's nation?

People view Stalin as a bad guy because he was a bad guy, an egomaniacal, paranoid bad guy who murdered his own citizens for dissenting or opposing him.

nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nakasa5

Most of the Nazi army was in East Europe. The Soviets did most of the work in taking Germany down. Churchill even admitted it when he said "the russian army was mainly responsible for ripping the guts out of the german army". The Soviets had to liberate many countries before getting to Germany.

The western world was not always on the side of "freedom, democracy, and basic human rights". The US set up dictatorships all along South America, the middle east (Iran), and in other countries.

Yes, the USSR did a lot in WWII, but does that make them a rightous country. Also, did you just try and justify the deaths of 25 million people all to modernize a country?

Apprently you are not actually asking honest questions. Your mind is already made up (however misled it may be). No country is perfect, but the very freedoms you exercise every day are secure because the West defnded them for the latter half of the 20th century. It is free enterprise governments that have allowed for new technologies to flourish, like the internet and video games. Oppressive governments who control the assets of their citizens and stifle their natural rights belong in the dustbin of history. They don't need apologists.

If the Soviet Union let another political party come into existence, they would still be a one-party state, because everybody would join the other party. --Ronald Reagan

nakasa5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nakasa5
[QUOTE="colonicjas2"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="CruxisXIII"]

CruxisXIII

And without leaders like Thatcher and Reagan, the world would be owned by Communists.

Koba123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Koba123
Member since 2005 • 1739 Posts
You mean there's another way to view russia?
Avatar image for guitargoddess17
guitargoddess17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 guitargoddess17
Member since 2007 • 1333 Posts

They killed Apollo Creed.

/thread