why is becoming a dentist or a doctor seen as such a great occupation?

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

Why do people think its so great to be a doctor or a dentist? You have to put in hard work in school, be a nerd with sucky clothes, spend all your time studying, doing homework, carrying books around you everywhere in the halls for what? to look inside some dumb human's mouth to clean their teeth for the rest of your life? to be in a room with sick people all day? is it worth it? i think not, u wanna know what i think? i think that

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

A dentist is a doctor. Anyway, they are seen as great jobs because you get to help others while getting paid a fortune to do it.

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts
Why do people think its so great to be a doctor or a dentist? You have to put in hard work in school, be a nerd with sucky clotheshadoken
...What.
Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
The money.
DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Your reasoning in all the threads you make is terrible.

Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
My mom is a dentist and she loves it. I think most people who actually go through with it want to help people, and it's not so much about the money. People that are in high school or freshman in college that want to be a doctor are more in it for the money, and most of them don't make it.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

You mean medical doctor a dentist still has a phd

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

[QUOTE="hadoken"]Why do people think its so great to be a doctor or a dentist? You have to put in hard work in school, be a nerd with sucky clothesSilverbond
...What.

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about, lab coats are sexy.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Mostly for the money and job security.
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
They get paid... ALOT.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Money and status. Some people see the medical profession as being noble as well, though of course it all depends on the individual.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Because when the finally graduate and get a job, they get to enjoy the benefit of knowing that after years of hard work, they make more than you and will probably make more than you ever will at a job. ...god I want that life.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

My cousin is a doctor... He didn't really do any of that (except work hard in school).

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d1cb98d088e5
Member since 2009 • 4084 Posts

*Cough*Sponduli*Cough*

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

is it worth it? i think not, u wanna know what i think? i think that

hadoken

You don't even know how hard that sentence made me laugh :lol:

You seem very worked up about this though. Any reason for that?

hadoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hadoken
Member since 2003 • 2730 Posts

[QUOTE="hadoken"]

is it worth it? i think not, u wanna know what i think? i think that

zeldaluff

You don't even know how hard that sentence made me laugh :lol:

You seem very worked up about this though. Any reason for that?

hmmm when i think about it, i must be so angry because i dropped out of school 3 weeks ago and a failing film student and im basically doing nothing right now so i guess thats y, so I have too much time on my hands
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I feel personally attacked but I don't know how to respond because nothing you said bothers me... Sure... I'm a nerd, but I drive one hell of a car.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I feel personally attacked but I don't know how to respond because nothing you said bothers me... Sure... I'm a nerd, but I drive one hell of a car.

give your car here nerd! anyway to answer the OP money and saving lives.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="hadoken"] hmmm when i think about it, i must be so angry because i dropped out of school 3 weeks ago and a failing film student and im basically doing nothing right now so i guess thats y, so I have too much time on my hands

That sucks. You should go back to school and try to be a doctor.
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
It's held to the highest degree of any profession in many cultures and ....well at least in America, they get paid REAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLY well.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Medicine is not the easiest field of study and they are also there to help save lives and improve people's well being/way of life. After just having been in hospital for 2 weeks with a collapsed lung, they are worth every cent

JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JeanAlex22
Member since 2011 • 307 Posts

A Dentist is a doctor . . . BTW I'm a dentist I wouldn't trade my job for anything else, If being a doctor sucks because you're always around sick people then what kind of job would be awesome? No one's gonna pay you to just sit around and do nothing, everyone has to work for a living get used to it . . . I simply think your reasoning is absolutely stupid, it's like you expect to have a high paying job wherein you don't do anything or you want a high paying job without doing some forms of sacrifices because of what you said about us studying too hard or going through intensive years to become what we are right now . . . You just stepped on alot of people with what you said, so in cases you get periodontitis or a pneumatized sinus in the future, just think of what you said today because you're gonna be asking help from people like me who according to you have one of the worst jobs ever . . .

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

They get paid crap every where else except for the US.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

TehFuneral
:lol: Seriously?
JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JeanAlex22

TehFuneral

Not really, I practice here in the Philippines and I get paid alot . . . $12,000 a year on average and I'm just a fresh graduate only been practicing for less than two years, but my dad who's been practicing for like 20+ years can easily earn $50,000 on average . . . I dunno if that's alot by your standards but here in the Philippines it is, cause the cost of living here is really less compared to the US . . .

DJSAV_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DJSAV_101
Member since 2008 • 3701 Posts

The money.Pittfan666

This ^^

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

A dentist is a doctor.

Pirate700

Or so they like to think:P

I see M.D. as a noble career path. It's hard, time consuming and stressful but IMO the prize at the end of this road is well worth it.

cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
hadoken = joke account
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#29 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Why do people think its so great to be a doctor or a dentist? You have to put in hard work in school, be a nerd with sucky clothes, spend all your time studying, doing homework, carrying books around you everywhere in the halls for what? to look inside some dumb human's mouth to clean their teeth for the rest of your life? to be in a room with sick people all day? is it worth it? i think not, u wanna know what i think? i think that

hadoken
What a terrible way to think
T_REX305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 T_REX305
Member since 2010 • 11304 Posts

[QUOTE="Silverbond"][QUOTE="hadoken"]Why do people think its so great to be a doctor or a dentist? You have to put in hard work in school, be a nerd with sucky clothesmetroidfood

...What.

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about, lab coats are sexy.

:o Whoa!!

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?rawsavon
I am sure they probably have no idea why anyone would want to serve fast food all day or lug bricks around all day
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?EmpCom
I am sure they probably have no idea why anyone would want to serve fast food all day or lug bricks around all day

That is a very flawed analogy (as no one goes to school for an extra 10 years to do those things). In other words, no one invests that much time, money, and effort into doing the jobs you mentioned...that is why your analogy doesn't work, sorry :(
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
same reason hiphop sucked in 96' "its the money"
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="rawsavon"]I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?rawsavon

That is a very flawed analogy (as no one goes to school for an extra 10 years to do those things). In other words, no one invests that much time, money, and effort into doing the jobs you mentioned...that is why your analogy doesn't work, sorry :(

It works fine because the time spent is irrelevent as to whether a doctor, dentist etc would have no idea why anyone would want to serve fastfood
rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

Because a considerable amount of people don't check the ensurance claims that docters/dentists send.
The amount of double claims i've had for the same treatment is ridicoulus, the fact that the ensurance company doesn't care about these double claims makes the problem even bigger.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] I am sure they probably have no idea why anyone would want to serve fast food all day or lug bricks around all day EmpCom

It works fine because the time spent is irrelevent as to whether a doctor, dentist etc would have no idea why anyone would want to serve fastfood

No it doesn't :? ...one does not invest those things (time, money, effort) to become a server. Those two situations could not be more different. Something similar to a server would be another min wage type job...like an overnight stocker not understand why someone would be a server (deal with people/food) and the server not understanding why someone would work overnight. For an analogy to work, you have to use things that are on 'equal ground'...analogous (hence the word), sorry :(
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
You earn a higher-than-average wage (sometimes a lot higher than average) and a considerable amount of prestige for your specialized skills.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] That is a very flawed analogy (as no one goes to school for an extra 10 years to do those things). In other words, no one invests that much time, money, and effort into doing the jobs you mentioned...that is why your analogy doesn't work, sorry :(rawsavon

No it doesn't :? ...one does not invest those things (time, money, effort) to become a server. Those two situations could not be more different. Something similar to a server would be another min wage type job...like an overnight stocker not understand why someone would be a server (deal with people/food) and the server not understanding why someone would work overnight. For an analogy to work, you have to use things that are on 'equal ground'...analogous (hence the word), sorry :(

Yeah you keep beating that dead horse if you want
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

if you dont understand the capital system many pursuits will boggel you, also distinctions between jobs such as burger flipper andheavy machineoperator,actuary, and doctor

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] It works fine because the time spent is irrelevent as to whether a doctor, dentist etc would have no idea why anyone would want to serve fastfoodEmpCom

Beat what dead horse :? I made a comment. You quoted it and tried to make an analogy to something that was unrelated... I was not the one that put that analogy out there. I just pointed out how it did not work is all (by using an example analogy that did). I figured the best way to show how one analogy did not work was to show one that did :)
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] No it doesn't :? ...one does not invest those things (time, money, effort) to become a server. Those two situations could not be more different. Something similar to a server would be another min wage type job...like an overnight stocker not understand why someone would be a server (deal with people/food) and the server not understanding why someone would work overnight. For an analogy to work, you have to use things that are on 'equal ground'...analogous (hence the word), sorry :(rawsavon

Beat what dead horse :? I made a comment. You quoted it and tried to make an analogy to something that was unrelated... I was not the one that put that analogy out there. I just pointed out how it did not work is all (by using an example analogy that did). I figured the best way to show how one analogy did not work was to show one that did :)

Patient says to doctor"i dont understand why anyone would want to be a doctor" doctor to patient "i dont understand why someone would want to flip burgers all day" What bit do you not understand
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Yeah you keep beating that dead horse if you wantEmpCom

Patient says to doctor"i dont understand why anyone would want to be a doctor" doctor to patient "i dont understand why someone would want to flip burgers all day" What bit do you not understand

I understand how the analogy doesn't work just fine :) I don't understand what you don't understand, but I am more than happy to help where I can :)
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 EmpCom
[QUOTE="EmpCom"][QUOTE="rawsavon"] Beat what dead horse :? I made a comment. You quoted it and tried to make an analogy to something that was unrelated... I was not the one that put that analogy out there. I just pointed out how it did not work is all (by using an example analogy that did). I figured the best way to show how one analogy did not work was to show one that did :)rawsavon

I understand how the analogy doesn't work just fine :) I don't understand what you don't understand, but I am more than happy to help where I can :)

You missed my point to begin with and ran off to analogy land but hey ho
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rawsavon
[QUOTE="rawsavon"][QUOTE="EmpCom"] Patient says to doctor"i dont understand why anyone would want to be a doctor" doctor to patient "i dont understand why someone would want to flip burgers all day" What bit do you not understandEmpCom

You missed my point to begin with and ran off to analogy land but hey ho

I wasn't the one that made the analogy/went off to analogy land :? To clear it up... -A doctor actively pursues his career. He makes a huge decision to invest thousands of dollars, hundreds of hours, and a great deal of effort to be a doctor...it was a major life goal -That cannot be said of the jobs you named So the doctor not understanding why someone would want to flip burgers is not analogous as no one tried as hard to get to that spot as he did to become a doctor
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
After noticing a few other posts by EmpCom, I'm assuming at this point that he is in fact a troll.
Arthur96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Arthur96
Member since 2011 • 950 Posts

I feel personally attacked but I don't know how to respond because nothing you said bothers me... Sure... I'm a nerd, but I drive one hell of a car.Fightingfan

What is it with people and old piles of junk?

I've noticed it's more of an American trend, and I don't get it. :?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Making 6+ figures a year is a good reason.
JeanAlex22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JeanAlex22

I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?rawsavon

I'm a dentist . . . Because since everyone has a mouth and is very prone to tissue damage, pretty much everyone is bound to undergo dental treatment every once in a while which is good for us . . . and the mouth may be the most unsanitary part of the body, it is also the most accessible, you can diagnose a disease just by clinical means unlike a cardiologist who still has to do diagnostic tests or perform invasive or non-invasive maneuvers . . .

It doesn't take a genius to figure out these things . . . Common sense isn't really that common nowadays, so sad . . .

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I have no idea why anyone would want to be a dentist, proctologist, or pediatrist...working on the worst parts of the human body :?JeanAlex22

I'm a dentist . . . Because since everyone has a mouth and is very prone to tissue damage, pretty much everyone is bound to undergo dental treatment every once in a while which is good for us . . . and the mouth may be the most unsanitary part of the body, it is also the most accessible, you can diagnose a disease just by clinical means unlike a cardiologist who still has to do diagnostic tests or perform invasive or non-invasive maneuvers . . .

It doesn't take a genius to figure out these things . . . Common sense isn't really that common nowadays, so sad . . .

I know all those things about being one. My point is I don't know why anyone would actively pursue a degree where you had to 'dig around' in either end. They are both disgusting to me. To me at least, that is a lot of schooling with less of a payoff and more 'dirty' work.