Why doesn't Canada just get a bigger military?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 joshrocks2245
Member since 2003 • 11248 Posts
I live in Canada, and one thing i don't get is why they don't just spend more money on their military and not be peacekeepers? They could if they wanted too, Canada isn't poor so that is not an excuse not to get a better army. Maybe we need in Canada to get more of a better prime minister, lets get George Bush :D Just kidding, but seriously, we need a more stronger military here. What is everyone elses thoughts? Is there a reason why we have to be peacekeepers like this?
Avatar image for forgetwatyahear
forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 forgetwatyahear
Member since 2005 • 6260 Posts
Is WWIII around teh corner. hopefully not, canada is cool to be a peaceful,nuetral nation. Our american goverment can learn something from them.
-dark-shadow-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -dark-shadow-
Member since 2007 • 985 Posts
Well we only have a population of 32 million and there's that many people in California alone. :|
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.

EDIT: Okay, that came out wrong, I didn't mean that to have an anti-American tone, I'm just sayin' that there's no real reason for Canada to have a large military when their neighbor has a military larger than many countries' put together.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Um how 'bout no? Universal healthcare, if they can get some cash for a better army i guess, but it seems to me like that country can put it towards something useful. If WWIII does arrive i will join and fight for France :)
forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 forgetwatyahear
Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.GabuEx
AMERICA F&^* YEAH
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 joshrocks2245

Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.GabuEx

What if Canada ever gets invaded? That means American troops would have to come into our country by foot, and they would only be able to fight on foot, not even by air because they couldn't bomb Canada obviously, so thats a bad thing right there. I think Canada should have a stronger military, i don't know of a good reason why we shouldn't have one.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#8 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
Why would you need one? I don't think anything is a threat to your country unless the elderly of American will be raiding your prescription pills cabient in what is otherwise known as The Scription Wars.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.joshrocks2245

What if Canada ever gets invaded? That means American troops would have to come into our country by foot, and they would only be able to fight on foot, not even by air because they couldn't bomb Canada obviously, so thats a bad thing right there. I think Canada should have a stronger military, i don't know of a good reason why we shouldn't have one.

Who's going to invade us? I mean, seriously, what would anyone gain from invading Canada? We're just minding our own business, we're cold as hell all winter long, and it's not as if we aren't trading our natural resources with other countries. Would they just be doing it for the lulz of being able to say "we invaded Canada"?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 X360PS3AMD05
Why would you need one? I don't think anything is a threat to your country unless the elderly of American will be raiding your prescription pills cabient in what is otherwise known as The Scription Wars.Wilfred_Owen
OMG!!! Win :lol:
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

why do you want an army?

nobody wants to invade you

KG86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KG86
Member since 2007 • 6021 Posts

You don't need an army, your infamous cold winters will push back any invading armies.

monkeytoes61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#13 monkeytoes61
Member since 2005 • 8399 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.joshrocks2245

This statement has epic amounts of fail involved. Tell me, who would invade Canada? There is nothing to gain from doing that.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joshrocks2245
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.GabuEx

Who's going to invade us? I mean, seriously, what would anyone gain from invading Canada? We're just minding our own business, we're cold as hell all winter long, and it's not as if we aren't trading our natural resources with other countries. Would they just be doing it for the lulz of being able to say "we invaded Canada"?

Well they might not gain anything, but someday a country may invade Canada to scare America or something, because maybe they will just invade Canada so they can have a war with America and end up invading them as well because the countries are so close together. I'm not really sure if a country would do something for the lulz :P Like a country like Russia, or China could simply invade us and then use our country to attack America. It's just not good.

forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 forgetwatyahear
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

Well they might not gain anything, but someday a country may invade Canada to scare America or something, because maybe they will just invade Canada so they can have a war with America and end up invading them as well because the countries are so close together. I'm not really sure if a country would do something for the lulz :P Like a country like Russia, or China could simply invade us and then use our country to attack America. It's just not good.

russia and chian are our allies at the moment. China's ecnomy depends on ours,why the hell would they attack us. Russia would not invade canada because i think you guys are apart of NATO and are allies with russia.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 joshrocks2245

You don't need an army, your infamous cold winters will push back any invading armies.

KG86

Yeah but our winters aren't even that long anymore and we barely get any snow. In febuary so far, tons of days have been warm, so it's only a few more years before Canada barely gets a winter at all, then there is nothing to push back an invading army.

forgetwatyahear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 forgetwatyahear
[QUOTE="KG86"]

joshrocks2245

Yeah but our winters aren't even that long anymore and we barely get any snow. In febuary so far, tons of days have been warm, so it's only a few more years before Canada barely gets a winter at all, then there is nothing to push back an invading army.

except maple syrup. you throw that stuff on the ground and armies will stop in thier tracks.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 X360PS3AMD05
Military Industrial Complex FTW?
Legacyoftain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Legacyoftain
Member since 2004 • 1190 Posts

I live in Canada, and one thing i don't get is why they don't just spend more money on their military and not be peacekeepers? They could if they wanted too, Canada isn't poor so that is not an excuse not to get a better army. Maybe we need in Canada to get more of a better prime minister, lets get George Bush :D Just kidding, but seriously, we need a more stronger military here. What is everyone elses thoughts? Is there a reason why we have to be peacekeepers like this? joshrocks2245

This is the reason the World loves Canada and hates the U.S.....They are a nation of peace and neutrality vs Capitalist Imperialism and Victorian ideals of "we are better than you so there for we will show you how to run YOUR country"...Canada is just....Canada..If it wasn't so damn cold all the time I would have moved there a while ago.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 X360PS3AMD05
I prefer the cold over 100 degree days (socal) so i just might end up in Canada some day :)
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 joshrocks2245
@Forgetwhatyahear: Russia and China may change their mind about Canada, it could be like a hostage situation. Like Russia could invade Canada and be like "We aren't leaving here until America gives us what we want" Who knows what they would want but i have a feeling that could happen, and there wouldn't be a way for us to defend our selves because we don't have a big military.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 joshrocks2245

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]I live in Canada, and one thing i don't get is why they don't just spend more money on their military and not be peacekeepers? They could if they wanted too, Canada isn't poor so that is not an excuse not to get a better army. Maybe we need in Canada to get more of a better prime minister, lets get George Bush :D Just kidding, but seriously, we need a more stronger military here. What is everyone elses thoughts? Is there a reason why we have to be peacekeepers like this? Legacyoftain

This is the reason the World loves Canada and hates the U.S.....They are a nation of peace and neutrality vs Capitalist Imperialism and Victorian ideals of "we are better than you so there for we will show you how to run YOUR country"...Canada is just....Canada..If it wasn't so damn cold all the time I would have moved there a while ago.

Yeah but if Canada had a bigger military it wouldn't mean they have to think they are better then everyone else. It's not even that cold here by the way, we barely get a winter here where i live in Canada and a city like New york or Detriot get more snow then we do these days. It's winter right now but it feels like summer quite a bit.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

joshrocks2245

Why would either Russia or China attempt an invasion of the United States? The casualties would be staggering on both sides, and again, what would they gain? Countries don't invade other countries just because they feel like it. There has to be either something very real to be gained out the end or the leadership of the invading country has to be completely insane, and it's fair to say that neither Russia's nor China's leadership is anything remotely approaching insane.

Also, do you have any idea how much the United States spends on their military? They spend nearly 2/3 Canada's entire GDP on their military. Canada quite literally would not have enough money for anything else if it tried to be like its neighbors to the south. I think things like hospitals and schools are kind of more important than making your military big and strong to defend against nothing.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 joshrocks2245
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

GabuEx

Why would either Russia or China attempt an invasion of the United States? The casualties would be staggering on both sides, and again, what would they gain? Countries don't invade other countries just because they feel like it. There has to be either something very real to be gained out the end or the leadership of the invading country has to be completely insane, and it's fair to say that neither Russia's nor China's leadership is anything remotely approaching insane.

Also, do you have any idea how much the United States spends on their military? They spend nearly 2/3 Canada's entire GDP on their military. Canada quite literally would not have enough money for anything else if it tried to be like its neighbors to the South. I think things like hospitals and schools are kind of more important than making your military big and strong to defend against nothing.

Well maybe a country like Russia or China would invade us to try and get something from America, like a hostage sitauation. How come Canada doesn't have enough money for that? I thought Canada had money, but it seems that if they can't even spend more on their military it's like Canada would be as poor as some 3rd world countries almost. How much money does Canada even have??

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#25 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
If anyone plans an attack on you, especially an invasion, I doubt they'd get very far. It would be hard to conceal and by that time many countries such as the US and Uk will come to your aid. The fact that you're a peacekeeping nation will work in your favour.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GabuEx

Well maybe a country like Russia or China would invade us to try and get something from America, like a hostage sitauation. How come Canada doesn't have enough money for that? I thought Canada had money, but it seems that if they can't even spend more on their military it's like Canada would be as poor as some 3rd world countries almost. How much money does Canada even have??

joshrocks2245

Get something... like what? Do you really think that the rest of the world would just stand idly by while Russia invaded Canada? Both countries' economies are very much tied in with the rest of the world, and it would kind of not be in their best interest to do something that would obviously antagonize basically the entire Western world. I don't think there's a single historical example, ever, of a country invading another country to hold it hostage to get something from a third country.

Canada's GDP is... well, it's actually larger than I thought. It's $1.3 trillion, which makes the US' $489 billion military budget only 38% of Canada's GDP, but that's still a staggeringly large amount, certainly nothing that Canada could conceivably hope to attain.

Snaptrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Snaptrap
Member since 2003 • 2186 Posts

Canadians aren't war mongers. Besides, if we did develop advanced war machinery, there'd be some yank sitting at our doorstep trying to snuff it out. Oh yeah. The good ol' AVRO Arrow. Our best scentists and designers defected to the US because some sucknut know as John Diefenbaker was convinced by American officials to scrap the Arrow and replace it with their crappy BOMARC missiles. Canadian designs and technology later appeared in American flight programs. How convenient. All I can say is that I'm glad Diefenbaker is dead. The guy was nothing but regurgitated pig slop. The one thing I love about the Liberals is that they have a backbone.

If Canada wanted a larger military, we'd need to cut stuff like education and health care. The last thing we need to see is some retard suing a restaurant because they lacked the brain power to know that fresh coffee is always hot.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 joshrocks2245
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

GabuEx

Get something... like what? Do you really think that the rest of the world would just stand idly by while Russia invaded Canada? Both countries' economies are very much tied in with the rest of the world, and it would kind of not be in their best interest to do something that would obviously antagonize basically the entire Western world. I don't think there's a single historical example, ever, of a country invading another country to hold it hostage to get something from a third country.

Canada's GDP is... well, it's actually larger than I thought. It's $1.3 trillion, which makes the US' $489 billion military budget only 38% of Canada's GDP, but that's still a staggeringly large amount, certainly nothing that Canada could conceivably hope to attain.

Well i mean if a country like Russia came into Canada without anyone being aware of whats going on, like sneaking in. I don't know if they could do that though, i hope not. I just don't want to wake up one day and find out there are Russian soliders in my country, and like no military here to fight for Canada. I just would feel more safe living in Canada if i knew they would be able to defend them selves better. I don't like the fact that we in Canada have to rely on other countries. They may not always be there to help out.

effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

The most likely situation for a Canadian invasion is a means to an end, not the end itself. The most likely end would be to somehow use that for leverage against the US (longest unprotected border in the world anyone?). The US wouldn't allow themselves to be placed in that situation and would assuredly extend help to their northern brethren. Therefore there is no reason for Canada to build such a large army, unless of course they fear an American invasion.

The only reason that we would do this is for timber, and we got quite a bit ourselves seeing how it's a renewable resource and all.

The whole of Canada is mostly unpopulated and for good reasons. Canada doesn't need to fear an invasion. Canada doesn't need a large active army.

TallicaFan2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 TallicaFan2005
Member since 2005 • 4126 Posts
Because Canada is the smartest country in the world.
Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Because Canada is the smartest country in the world.TallicaFan2005

Exactly. Why do we need military at all? Killing each other to solve our problems is very primative.

Peace and Diplomacy FTW.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 joshrocks2245

Canadians aren't war mongers. Besides, if we did develop advanced war machinery, there'd be some yank sitting at our doorstep trying to snuff it out. Oh yeah. The good ol' AVRO Arrow. Our best scentists and designers defected to the US because some sucknut know as John Diefenbaker was convinced by American officials to scrap the Arrow and replace it with their crappy BOMARC missiles. Canadian designs and technology later appeared in American flight programs. How convenient. All I can say is that I'm glad Diefenbaker is dead. The guy was nothing but regurgitated pig slop. The one thing I love about the Liberals is that they have a backbone.

If Canada wanted a larger military, we'd need to cut stuff like education and health care. The last thing we need to see is some retard suing a restaurant because they lacked the brain power to know that fresh coffee is always hot.

Snaptrap

That part of the retard suing a restaurant because of the coffee thing made me lawl :lol: I didn't know anything about that Canadian designs appearing in American flight programs,that is interesting. It's not like Americans would have to steal our war machinery if we did advance in that, and besides we need a bigger army, i think we are fine with our war machines like tanks and our fighter jets and all that stuff. The only thing Canada would have to do is buy more if they wanted too.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Ok enough of this. There is nothing to gain from invading country. It's political suicide.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#34 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Why waste your money on a larger military. Canada isn't taking over any country anytime soon, and the U.S won't let anything happen to Canada, and god knows we spend enough for both countries. No knock intended on Canada at all, your government is smart for curtaling military spending.
mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
because invading random 3rd world countries isn't a good foreign policy and Canada is still intelligent enough to know it.
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 UrbanSpartan125
Member since 2006 • 3684 Posts
I live in Canada, and one thing i don't get is why they don't just spend more money on their military and not be peacekeepers? They could if they wanted too, Canada isn't poor so that is not an excuse not to get a better army. Maybe we need in Canada to get more of a better prime minister, lets get George Bush :D Just kidding, but seriously, we need a more stronger military here. What is everyone elses thoughts? Is there a reason why we have to be peacekeepers like this? joshrocks2245
Because there is no need to, you have the best military in the world at your door step.
Avatar image for UrbanSpartan125
UrbanSpartan125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 UrbanSpartan125
Member since 2006 • 3684 Posts

[QUOTE="TallicaFan2005"]Because Canada is the smartest country in the world.Rikusaki

Exactly. Why do we need military at all? Killing each other to solve our problems is very primative.

Peace and Diplomacy FTW.

Because then you wouldn't have a country, it is human nature to have wars. To understand why we have militaries you need to better understand history.

No way to protect yourselves from foreign invasion from people who have militaries, there would be many many more terrorist attacks and the country would be in chaos.

Since 9/11 the military and other intelligence agencies have prevented 19 major terrorist plots.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 X360PS3AMD05
Because in a country like Norway with open boarders there are terrorist attacks all the time. There is terrorism because certain governments are butting their nose in business that they shouldn't.
rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#39 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]Why do we need a stronger military? The United States already has the job of "global policeman" down; I don't think they need any help.monkeytoes61

This statement has epic amounts of fail involved. Tell me, who would invade Canada? There is nothing to gain from doing that.

maybe invasion isn't the term tc should be using here. what about defense from terrorism? :D but imo, canada is good without any enemies, and i'd be happy to visit that place one day.

Adversary16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Adversary16
Member since 2007 • 1705 Posts

Please never ask for stronger army... Never again!

... Seriously; never! :|

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

No one would be able to really invade Canada its just too damn big. Sure they may be able to occupy the major cities but there is so much forested area for resistance fighters to hide.

And besides if anyone messes with Canada the US will mess with them back. Because we love our northern neighbors.

-starman-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 -starman-
Member since 2008 • 2822 Posts

the only country that would ever invade Canada would be the US. We hold the source locations for a lot of the United States' major rivers... so if they get too polluted, or start drying up... then they might come-a-knocking. With tanks. But we could never match the US's miliary budget, so really, there's not much point in building up our army for that purpose.

The only time we really need our army is when we get too much snow. so maybe enlist more soldiers and then train them to use shovels?

Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts

I also find it disturbing for having such a petty force for such a powerfull country with so much natural ressources.

We should have a proper fleet for the artic sea and proper artic force troops. Also, we needs new equipment, and I mean new army choppers and planes.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 joshrocks2245

No one would be able to really invade Canada its just too damn big. Sure they may be able to occupy the major cities but there is so much forested area for resistance fighters to hide.

And besides if anyone messes with Canada the US will mess with them back. Because we love our northern neighbors.

SunofVich

So do you think the military in Canada would even be able to put up a little bit of a fight or would there be no fight at all? Thats what i mean, most people always say that any country can take over canada and beat them, so it's like Canada doesn't even have a military. How do we even fight the war against terrorism with such a small army? There can't be many soldier's left..

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="SunofVich"]

joshrocks2245

So do you think the military in Canada would even be able to put up a little bit of a fight or would there be no fight at all? Thats what i mean, most people always say that any country can take over canada and beat them, so it's like Canada doesn't even have a military. How do we even fight the war against terrorism with such a small army? There can't be many soldier's left..

Having a huge army won't help in the fight against terror. Sure, you could throw more troops at the problem, but the casualties would grow and grow. There will never be a direct war against terrorists where numbers are vital.
Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Redgarl

the only country that would ever invade Canada would be the US. We hold the source locations for a lot of the United States' major rivers... so if they get too polluted, or start drying up... then they might come-a-knocking. With tanks. But we could never match the US's miliary budget, so really, there's not much point in building up our army for that purpose.

The only time we really need our army is when we get too much snow. so maybe enlist more soldiers and then train them to use shovels?

-starman-

I was having an argument with an american before and trust me, invading Canada would prove to be a real challenge. We provide almost half of the east coast USA electricity. Also, we are the second principal oil exporter for the USA.

If you bring winter in the picture, (like the one we got this year [8 feets of snow]) a canadian invasion would be disastrous. Of course they got the power to invade, but they will probably struggle in our artic condition.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidSnake35
[QUOTE="-starman-"]

Redgarl

I was having an argument with an american before and trust me, invading Canada would prove to be a real challenge. We provide almost half of the east coast USA electricity. Also, we are the second principal oil exporter for the USA.

If you bring winter in the picture, (like the one we got this year [8 feets of snow]) a canadian invasion would be disastrous. Of course they got the power to invade, but they will probably struggle in our artic condition.

Plus, you have soldiers on mooseback.... and polar bears. You do have all that, right?
effthat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 effthat
Member since 2007 • 2314 Posts

The majority of your population is within 300 miles of the border. How are you inaccessible?

Secondly, the military has the technological backbone to work in areas where power isn't available and climate isn't a factor for our amred forces as we've seen by the scorching days and blisteringly cold nights of desert warfare.

It doesn't magically become warmer when you cross the border into America.

Also, I'd like to point out that Alaska is a state in the union suffers much more from the weather than Toronto, Albert, Montreal, BC, PEI, or any other hugely Canadian metro area.

Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redgarl
[QUOTE="Redgarl"][QUOTE="-starman-"]

SolidSnake35

Plus, you have soldiers on mooseback.... and polar bears. You do have all that, right?

We also use mapple syrup as the best glue ever to prevent any vehicules to cross the border. We also use wolves as sled dogs.

-R3Vo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -R3Vo
Member since 2008 • 1790 Posts
You talk as if we don't even have an army. Fact is we do and it's not that bad, we even have the most elite snipers in the world; JTF2 isn't a chump either.