Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent people?

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BananaNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BananaNuts
Member since 2009 • 351 Posts

If God is an all-powerful, unending source of love, then why does he allow terrible things to happen to innocent people?

Children are born with aids, some are born into slavery, others are forced into prostitution, etc. Why did this happen to them? They were simply born into a crappy society. They were never able to choose whether they would disobey God and get punished, they were just instantly punished upon birth.

Can someone give me a legitimate answer?

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
Because we have free will. The ramifications are not always good, but you can't have free will without it.
cheetfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cheetfreak
Member since 2005 • 1986 Posts

Because God Realizes we need people to make fun of. So he gives them to us so we can make fun of them.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Suffering = life well imho No suffering = us living as cavemen or something.
icemountainb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 icemountainb
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts

Why don't you go research some apologetics on legitamate christian websites, or read a pope endorsed catechism?

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16051 Posts

They are not innocent. It's the inheritance of sin that explains the causes of bad things.

_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts
It is due to peoples actions that this stuff happens, we have been given free will.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Because, every once in a while God sits back and says, "**** it".

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do...
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Because of God is like me, he detests innocence
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

If you like to hear my view watch this debate. I agree with Mark Driscoll, the guy without glasses who is debating. :P

I'd normally give a long response, but I have a headache and am going to bed... Goodnight.

meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 meggido
Member since 2005 • 16980 Posts

Because we have free will. The ramifications are not always good, but you can't have free will without it.duxup

Isn't the Universe determined from start to finish?

Astrapsody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Astrapsody
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

There are children starving out there and dying everyday because of it. You tell me that happens because they have free will or because they have sinned?

Sometimes people disgust me. Fact, some people deserve their bad fortune and others don't. God "allows" bad things to happen because he obviously doesn't care about our hardships since we all have free will and each chose our paths ourselves (BS).

Astrapsody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Astrapsody
Member since 2008 • 2247 Posts

god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do...redbaron3

Think about the actual question for five seconds before giving a lame response. The question was: "Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent people?"

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"]Because we have free will. The ramifications are not always good, but you can't have free will without it.meggido

Not as far as I'm aware of.
_rock_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _rock_
Member since 2007 • 7071 Posts

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do...Astrapsody

Think about the actual question for five seconds before giving a lame response. The question was: "Why does God allow bad things to happen to innocent people?"

Maybe we should take responsibility for our actions and fix the problem ourselves.
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts
How would he find out a person's true nature if he let people know for a fact that he exists?
meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 meggido

[QUOTE="meggido"]

[QUOTE="duxup"]Because we have free will. The ramifications are not always good, but you can't have free will without it.duxup

Every event is caused by a prior event (at least on a macro level). Your "choice" is merely the product of a series of events

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="meggido"]

meggido

Every event is caused by a prior event (at least on a macro level). Your "choice" is merely the product of a series of events

Because you say so?
meggido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 meggido

[QUOTE="meggido"]

[QUOTE="duxup"] Not as far as I'm aware of.duxup

Because you say so?

Nah, it's a big philosophy thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Didn't God go through a pretty elaborate setup just to ensure that mankind would fall?

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

How would he find out a person's true nature if he let people know for a fact that he exists?-GeordiLaForge-

Why must the Christian god even perform this test at all? He's omniscient and supposedly created every man and woman in his own image, so he would know by default the outcome of every human being's moral foundation the very second they popped into existance.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="Astrapsody"]

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do..._rock_

Maybe we should take responsibility for our actions and fix the problem ourselves.

That however does bring up the question of why we need a god.

If god isn't helping and I have to fix all of my problems on my own, then what reason do I have to follow a god who I don't think exists?

RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

Because he doesn't exist?

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Reina's views on life: "What is, is, what will be, will be. God or not, all powerful super being or not or just some lucky sod with a kitten who wants to rule the world, it's all pre-determined and meant to be. The innocent suffer not for malicious reasons, but to test their strength of spirit, to see if they are truly able of being more than those who don't suffer expect of them. Free will, choice and options are something we believe we have, and we do in a way, but no matter what we choose it's all pre-determined either way. Just dream of the shore and go with the flow"

Reina's a character I created for a story. I do woner if all I've suffered in my life was to make me stronger in spirit, to make me be kind and focused instead of bitter and dangerous and hurting others, which is something I refuse to ever do since I don't see the point to hurting others.
We have choices, but life will still continue on no matter the choices we make. Suffering happens, it's up to that person if they manage to live through it what they do with the pain they've endured.

R/T

Schnauzerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Schnauzerz
Member since 2007 • 1437 Posts
That is beyond the limits of humanity's pathetic understanding
Avatar image for -GeordiLaForge-
-GeordiLaForge-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -GeordiLaForge-
Member since 2006 • 7167 Posts

[QUOTE="-GeordiLaForge-"]How would he find out a person's true nature if he let people know for a fact that he exists?-Jiggles-

Why must the Christian god even perform this test at all? He's omniscient and supposedly created every man and woman in his own image, so he would know by default the outcome of every human being's moral foundation the very second they popped into existance.

It sounded so nice though, I just couldn't resist :) But I'm not religious at all. I can make up my own mind about God...
Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

Our god is a spiteful one, AND HE'S GOING TO GET YOU. So pray all you want, sing a couple of hail mary's, cause your ass is going to meet gods boot, GOD IS PISSED. and you pissed him off, I hope you're happy with yourself.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts

[QUOTE="Astrapsody"]

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do..._rock_

this... just because my answer wasn't the proper one to the question dosent make it any less true on the questions subject matter, if there is a god he allowed us free will, meaning its US who allow these bad things to happen not him/her/it.

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

god doesn't make bad things happen to good people, we do...redbaron3
YEAH! Like hurricane katrina.

There is no God so bad things just happen to everyone for no reason =/

MFaraz_Hayat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MFaraz_Hayat
Member since 2006 • 1794 Posts

This life is a test. People can opt to do good or bad. Even though such people might suffer, they will be rewarded in hereafter. For example, a kid with aids. Since he is innocent, in the hereafter he will be sent to heaven(this is in compliance with the islamic concept where children(are born innocent) are not held accountable for sins till they are mature).

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
because my child, god is nothing more than the figment of imagination. written in a book by men just like you 1800 years ago.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Because he is love.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#37 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I have no trouble with suffering itself, it sucks but it's part of life. What irks me is why do some people suffer worse than others? Are they born with more original sin? Strikes me somehow asextraordinalyunfair.

Avatar image for BladeDynasty777
BladeDynasty777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 BladeDynasty777
Member since 2008 • 1596 Posts
because there's no such thing as "GOD"
trubluah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 trubluah
Member since 2002 • 3678 Posts
I believe the reasoning behind this, is that we do these things to ourselves. If we as a human race had everything handed to us on a silver platter of God, then we will never evolve....EVER! I believe things to happen for a reason, not in a way of fate, but as a action to every reaction point of view.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#40 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
It is better spend more effort improving our lives than thinking about anything related to God because there is no answer for it.magicalclick
But how can You expect people to Believe, if they can't understand? Then they just have to accept it, against all odds? That's freaking unfair! That's not a choice! That's like saying to a homeless person: "do You want cake?" And he says: "Yeah sure thanks." And then You say "Haha! Fell for it! You're off to hell!" "But that's not fair!" "Well tough luck beggar!" Can You see what i mean? That's not choice that's cheating! Another thing, a predetermined world doesn't mean there is no free will. It's very simple. When You know all, You can predict everything anytime anywhere. But since it encompasses all it encompasses free will. Free will is the way we experience things, and without free will nothing matters. That would be the end of discussion, the end of action, the end of everything. So, it is true by default. Our experience is the only thing we have going for us, that's what we lend everything from. From inspiration, to ideas, to hypothesis, to science, to whatever You want. And it doesn't ever exceed that experience because that's all we have. After all the conclusions are drawn, they are just that, conclusions that You drew. Ow and it is a result of our free will? (i believe it is a result of our free will, or it actually equals our free will but that would be too long an answer) No! Of course not! If God is omnipotent God has omniresponsibility. God could have it so, that our free will wouldn't influence one another. But we're put in this world in which it does. Why? Well we can't start to comprehend that.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#41 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It is better spend more effort improving our lives than thinking about anything related to God because there is no answer for it.magicalclick
But how can You expect people to Believe, if they can't understand? Then they just have to accept it, against all odds? That's freaking unfair! That's not a choice!
That's like saying to a homeless person: "do You want cake?"
And he says: "Yeah sure thanks."
And then You say "Haha! Fell for it! You're off to hell!"
"But that's not fair!"
"Well tough luck beggar! The cake, it's a lie!"
Can You see what i mean? That's not choice that's cheating!

Another thing, a predetermined world doesn't mean there is no free will. It's very simple. When You know all, You can predict everything anytime anywhere. But since it encompasses all it encompasses free will. Free will is the way we experience things, and without free will nothing matters. That would be the end of discussion, the end of action, the end of everything. So, it is true by default. Our experience is the only thing we have going for us, that's what we lend everything from. From inspiration, to ideas, to hypothesis, to science, to whatever You want. And it doesn't ever exceed that experience because that's all we have. After all the conclusions are drawn, they are just that, conclusions that You drew.

Ow and it is a result of our free will? (i believe it is a result of our free will, or it actually equals our free will but that would be too long an answer) No! Of course not! If God is omnipotent God has omniresponsibility. God could have it so, that our free will wouldn't influence one another. But we're put in this world in which it does. Why? Well we can't start to comprehend that.

Derek1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 Derek1177
Member since 2008 • 342 Posts

Because if we had perfect lives we wouldnt believe there was a God at all. Therefore if we are to strive to please God and make it to heavento be with him we must have some sort of challenges in our life. And God does love us and wants us to make the right decisions.

Derek1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Derek1177

[QUOTE="_rock_"][QUOTE="Astrapsody"]

MrGeezer

Well if you think about it, without God what would be the point of Good and Evil? Why arent we raping and killing each other for our own selfish desires? We would be nothing more then animals. there for since we arent there is a God and he loves us and wants us to do Good to someday join him in heaven. But it is our fallen nature that we sin and do evil. Therefore we should strive to do good as God intended us to do.

If god isn't helping and I have to fix all of my problems on my own, then what reason do I have to follow a god who I don't think exists?

Derek1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Derek1177

[QUOTE="_rock_"][QUOTE="Astrapsody"]

MrGeezer

Maybe we should take responsibility for our actions and fix the problem ourselves

Well if you think about it, without God what would be the point of Good and Evil? Why arent we raping and killing each other for our own selfish desires? We would be nothing more then animals. there for since we arent there is a God and he loves us and wants us to do Good to someday join him in heaven. But it is our fallen nature that we sin and do evil. Therefore we should strive to do good as God intended us to do.

Derek1177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Derek1177

what the hek? sorry my quote got all jacked up. what Mr. Geezer wrote is actually what i wrote. except for that 1 sentence in the top box saying "then that brings up the question why do we need a God" or something like that

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

to test their faith

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38699 Posts
the greatest trick god ever pulled was convincing the world he did exist.
SSBFan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SSBFan12
Member since 2008 • 11981 Posts

This is the reason why I am atheist and I turned my back to god because he hurts innocent people.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Because if we had perfect lives we wouldnt believe there was a God at all.Derek1177

I'm tempted to point out the many flaws in that argument, but then that would detract from the obvious question, which is, "So what?"

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

This is the reason why I am atheist and I turned my back to god because he hurts innocent people.

SSBFan12
I'm not sure you know what "atheist" means...