Why do you believe what you believe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattes2542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattes2542
Member since 2004 • 2362 Posts

I'm at the point in my life where you are trying to figure out what you believe religious wise, do I believe in God or do I believe in evolving from a single celled organism. I have had religion shoved down my throat for my whole life basically and I kind have pushed it away and never given it any real thought until recently. So I decided to come here and see why you guys believe what you believe if anything or is GS your supreme being. Do you ever have any doubts about what it is you believe like does it really exist. For me I don't really feel secure in putting my faith in something I can't see or understand for the most part, so commences the long journey.

guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
I don't live to believe, I live to learn.
kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115429 Posts
another religion type thread
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 -Karayan-
Member since 2006 • 6713 Posts
Sure I have doubts, that's the whole idea of the scientific process, not to just accept something as true.
mattes2542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mattes2542
Member since 2004 • 2362 Posts

another religion type thread2ndWonder

At least its not "Why is Evolution better then Christianity" "Or look at Christians protesting" or "Lets believe what Tom Cruise does"

My religion type thread is not your common relgion type thread as you would call it, I was merely looking for input instead of common bickering back and forth others try to achieve with theres,

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts
I believe in God-- but I am not religious in anyway. I just believe in him because I grew up learning about God, or being told about him. My Mom wears a cross necklace. Why do I believe in him? Well I believe he's the head honcho, and someone I'll meet someday. Something to keep me motivated.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 -Karayan-

I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.Bourbons3

There are more gods than just the christian one. 

Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I went through that about a week ago, came out Christian
superelite2688

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 superelite2688
Member since 2004 • 6318 Posts

well

im an atheist

i believe in the big bang, evolution etc

i dont believe in there being a god or any spiritual being etc

i believe when you die, you just die like any other life form and you just breakdown and decay upon death 

i believe what i believe because to me i think its whats right

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I believe what I believe based on evidence, morality, common sense and economic thinking.

I will never believe anything because of "group think", which is probably why I disregard religion, besides the fact that I'm supposed to believe in the incredible without a shred of proof.

Kreugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kreugh
Member since 2005 • 427 Posts

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bourbons3

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.-Karayan-

Well I dont believe in them either, for similar reasons.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bourbons3

Kreugh
lol
Cookiegut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cookiegut
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

I believe in myself, thus i believe in God.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

I think it's safe to say that everyone belives what they do because it is what makes most sense to them.

Same applies to me.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts

I think it's safe to say that everyone belives what they do because it is what makes most sense to them.

Same applies to me.

luke1889
Maybe, could also be what they're led to believe growing up and what society tells them, if they don't learn to think on their own.
luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts
[QUOTE="luke1889"]

Same applies to me.

X360PS3AMD05

Maybe, could also be what they're led to believe growing up and what society tells them, if they don't learn to think on their own.

Yeah, I was kind of generalising.  :P  Regardless of how they come to know it, it's still what makes most sense to them.  :P

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.Bourbons3

A lot of people believe in an "it" god, which doesn't adhere to any man made religions. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.-Karayan-

A lot of people believe in an "it" god, which doesn't adhere to any man made religions. 

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.sonicare

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

Those thunderbolts hurt :(
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.sonicare

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

How is Zeus not a part of manmade religion? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

How can the "it" god not be a man-made religion?

-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

How can the "it" god not be a man-made religion?

It's the believe that there is some god/goddess /thing which doesn't have the crap like Jesus, or praying or having to adhere to specific ludicrous rules. It's more the believe that there's something more than just science, without any real form or thought to it.

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Bourbons3
[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

It's the believe that there is some god/goddess /thing which doesn't have the crap like Jesus, or praying or having to adhere to specific ludicrous rules. It's more the believe that there's something more than just science, without any real form or thought to it.

Its still a man-made belief. Nothing believed in "it" before man existed.
-Karayan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Karayan-
[QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"][QUOTE="-Karayan-"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]I dont believe in God because I think that the Bible has been proven false too many times.Bourbons3

Don't mess with Zeus!!!!

Its still a man-made belief. Nothing believed in "it" before man existed.

It's not really a religion, it's more a residue from organized religion.

double_decker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 double_decker
Member since 2006 • 146090 Posts
I don't really believe in anything relogious, I figure I will find out soon enough when I die so why spend the short time to live wodnering about the afterlife etc.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Knowledge is power, but it can also be strength. To live believing in worshipping while in a state of accepted (and sometimes even demanded) ignorance just doesn't seem to be how my life would be entertaining. If I can't live my life, why should I be living?

jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts
I believe in God because it makes sense to me.
GodofPoop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GodofPoop7
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Religion is just a crutch. How often do you hear people thank god for something good that happened or say it was god's plan or god's will when something bad happens? The truth is that you have that new house because you worked your ass off and put in overtime, not because of god. The truth is that it wasn't god's will that little Tommy got hit by a car, it's because you're horrible parents. You get the point. Also, to those that say that evolution couldn't have happened because "god created man in his image"; if your god does exist then who's to say he isn't 4ft tall, hairy, and drags his knuckles when he walks? I believe in myself and I believe that we are not the supreme power in the universe.

Hexum-311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hexum-311
Member since 2007 • 1158 Posts
I have always challenged my own beliefs to avoid stagnation.  I ask myself why I believe what I do and take in every possible view in order to solidfy my own beliefs.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I hardly believe in anything... other than the human race is self-destructive.
xXBuffJeffXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 xXBuffJeffXx
Member since 2006 • 5913 Posts

I believe what I believe based on evidence, morality, common sense and economic thinking.

I will never believe anything because of "group think", which is probably why I disregard religion, besides the fact that I'm supposed to believe in the incredible without a shred of proof.

Rekunta

That's essentially the way I see the whole situation. I don't completely discredit religion and religious thought but I'd like to see some more proof other than the Bible. I was 'force-fed' religion my entire youth and I noticed that they never questioned their own unyielding faith in religion. I think most people are the way they are because of their surroundings and the circumstances of their childhood years. If my parents were raised Hindu, they'd be Hindu. It just so happens that they were raised Christian, so that is what they believe. 

Sandro909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 Sandro909
Member since 2004 • 15221 Posts
I believe what I believe because it makes sense.
xXBuffJeffXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 xXBuffJeffXx
Member since 2006 • 5913 Posts

I have always challenged my own beliefs to avoid stagnation. I ask myself why I believe what I do and take in every possible view in order to solidfy my own beliefs.Hexum-311

That's precisely what I would like to see religous people do more often. A little introspection and questioning never hurt. 

daniel52587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 daniel52587
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts

I dont believe in God, well, in the sense of how religion portrays it. If you want, you could say everything is God. You, me, the whole universe...... maybe universes. I believe we are all astral beings and we incarnate in these mortal vessels to learn something that we felt we needed to learn. Life is about learning, not religion. There are multiple planes and we are just on the third. We are immortal, Astral Beings never die. We live on and learn on. Maybe, we learn everything and just enjoy the beautiful scenery of space in 4D. All I know for sure, is that religion is not the way to go if your conscious is telling you otherwise. If you feel following religion isnt right dont do it. I have always despised religion, ever since I was little. It has never made since to me. I tried it for a couple months and in the end it made me hate. So I look down on it. I see it as an obstacle someone developed to control society. Something that tries to control our curiosity of the universe. I believe in life, not religion.

Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

I'm at the point in my life where you are trying to figure out what you believe religious wise, do I believe in God or do I believe in evolving from a single celled organism. I have had religion shoved down my throat for my whole life basically and I kind have pushed it away and never given it any real thought until recently. So I decided to come here and see why you guys believe what you believe if anything or is GS your supreme being. Do you ever have any doubts about what it is you believe like does it really exist. For me I don't really feel secure in putting my faith in something I can't see or understand for the most part, so commences the long journey.

mattes2542
I believe in God because I have faith that there are things greater than what we can observe. But I also accept science such as evolution. Science is made out to be the enemy, but what science really does, is helps us to better understand the universe God created. Do not dismiss science because of religion, that is a sign of ignorance.
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

When I look at the science of evolution and all the scientific things surrounding the universe I tend to think it's more logical that  there is a greater force behind it, than it all just happend by coincidence.

Of course on the other hand I have zero evidence of this greater force and thereforce cannot rule out coincidence.  

In other words I'm agnostic because I understand the way things work. 

FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts

I don't know what to believe any more! :cry:

daniel52587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 daniel52587
Member since 2005 • 3028 Posts
Also, let me say, religions have come and go. Christianity will be one of them. In 1000 or 2000 years or whatever, it will no longer exist. Some other form of religion will, or maybe we will finally find all of lifes answers by then. So I suggest not to waste your life following some religious theology and just try to learn the most you can about life and the universe.
Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

I don't really associate myself to any religion, i was born christian I guess, but i don't follow a religion just becasue i was born into it, seems like a pretty bad reason to base your beliefs on. while i do believe there must be some god or afterlife, i havent pinned it to any religion, i find it very interesting to keep my ears open to people of differing beliefs. its like everyone believes in the same thing; the paths (meaning each religion) just seem to go in different directions and ultimately lead to the same conclusion.

in short i believe you should follow whatever helps you get through the day. whatever inspires you. why do i believe this? i've tried following christianity, it wasn't my cup of tea. i'd rather practice on my own than sit in a church and feel no faith.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
The problem with many of the organized religions is that the beliefs/tenets of those religions are not objective.  The bible says what it says.  How people interpret the meaning of that is subjective.  Many of the so called laws of christianity and other religions aren't actually from that "god" but rather from the church or other source.
jfkunrendered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#43 jfkunrendered
Member since 2005 • 8298 Posts
Christianity-Gives me fulfillment
The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Ish
Member since 2006 • 13913 Posts

mattes2542

All right, look, you seem like the kind of person who's honest, and has an honest problem. So I will give you the most honest opinion I can, because one can see this thread is becoming "just another religion thread".

Believe what you want. In the end, it's really about what your happier or more comfortable living with. I can show you many passages from the Bible, the Qu'ran, and other Sacred Texts that anyone would agree with, that can give you hope and a strength. I could also show you the bloody history behind each religion, show you some passages that would make you cringe with disgust, and make you wonder why a benevolent supreme being would ever allow such a thing. I can give you an opinion based on faith, or evidence and elightenment based on philosophy and through science. But none of that will matter if you can't be happy, or at least content. Look at yourself, look at the world around you, do some goddamned research if you have to. And don't think that the correct ideology will suddenly make you happy. You might just enjoy, and be happy with always searching for answers.

In other words, be the hell happy.

I hope what I said helps.

PS: Look at that Science + Faith diagram. Might help, if you can make your own from the two.

PierSkillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 PierSkillz
Member since 2007 • 2952 Posts
why do you believe in making threads about what people believe, or do you not believe?
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

I don't live to believe, I live to learn.guthwulf_de

YES!!!!!!!! uve hit the nail on the head there. thats just what id say. 

yoshi-lnex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 yoshi-lnex
Member since 2007 • 5442 Posts
I feel that my beliefs are simply the most logical answers.....