This topic is locked from further discussion.

effena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 effena
Member since 2008 • 2811 Posts
Ok I know that we tip out of good service, but we only do it to some people. I'm a server, and the majority of my money comes from tips so I'm not complaining, but someone working at McDonalds works just as hard as I do, so why don't we tip them? We tip cab drivers, so why don't we tip bus drivers?
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts
To show that they done a good job.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts
Because that worker at Mickey D's has a set wage he earns while whoever employs you or other actual waiters set a wage that's dependent on tips..... I think. O.o
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
We do it because we fear the server will remember our face and spit in our food next time if we don't.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

McDonald's guys don't give you any real service; you just tell them what you want and they give it to you. Servers at restaurants, on the other hand, are responsible for ensuring that you're getting adequate service during your entire stay at the establishment.

There are certainly some jobs I don't think should be tipped, though. Pizza delivery guys is a good example; you order your pizza and they give it to you. Same as any fast-food joint. (Though I still tip them anyway on account of not wanting to be a jerk.)

BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts

McDonald's guys don't give you any real service; you just tell them what you want and they give it to you. Servers at restaurants, on the other hand, are responsible for ensuring that you're getting adequate service during your entire stay at the establishment.

There are certainly some jobs I don't think should be tipped, though. Pizza delivery guys is a good example; you order your pizza and they give it to you. Same as any fast-food joint.

GabuEx

Are you talking about in-restaurant delivery, or by car?

I would think if they drove the distance to your house you should at least tip them a little don't you think? :P

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
Ok I know that we tip out of good service, but we only do it to some people. I'm a server, and the majority of my money comes from tips so I'm not complaining, but someone working at McDonalds works just as hard as I do, so why don't we tip them? We tip cab drivers, so why don't we tip bus drivers?effena
Its a conspiricy.
-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
So the employer can get away with not paying minimum wage.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I would think if they drove the distance to your house you should at least tip them a little don't you think? :P

BladeOfHeaven

I don't see why. That's their whole job, and unlike restaurant servers, there isn't really any way to determine whether they did their job well or poorly (unless they show up like an hour late and the pizza is cold, I guess).

Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

So the employer can get away with not paying minimum wage.-Wicked_Sick-

This. Also, does this thread remind anyone else of the opening scene in Reservoir Dogs?

Avatar image for the_foreign_guy
the_foreign_guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_foreign_guy
Member since 2005 • 22657 Posts
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"]

GabuEx

I don't see why. That's their whole job, and unlike restaurant servers, there isn't really any way to determine whether they did their job well or poorly (unless they show up like an hour late and the pizza is cold, I guess).

If you hang up the phone and the guy comes 5 minutes later, then you should tip. If it's a holiday or the environment is not ideal then you should also tip. Other than that, I don't see why I should tip them. But I do leave $1-$2.

Quick-Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Quick-Time
Member since 2007 • 610 Posts

There are certainly some jobs I don't think should be tipped, though. Pizza delivery guys is a good example; you order your pizza and they give it to you. Same as any fast-food joint. (Though I still tip them anyway on account of not wanting to be a jerk.)

GabuEx
You're supposed to tip the pizza delivery guy.
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BladeOfHeaven

GabuEx

I guess so. Meh, i guess this is just one of those things that depend on the type person you deliver to.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
if you give good service then you get tipped, mcdonalds workers just do what they have to nothing more
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

There are certainly some jobs I don't think should be tipped, though. Pizza delivery guys is a good example; you order your pizza and they give it to you. Same as any fast-food joint.

BladeOfHeaven

they do get a wage you know that pays them for that, only tip them if they did something more than they had to

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts
Someone working at McD's isn't working personally with the customer. They just punch it into the register and print the order.
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BladeOfHeaven
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

markop2003

they do get a wage you know that pays them for that, only tip them if they did something more than they had to

True :P, didn't think about that.

krazykillaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 krazykillaz
Member since 2002 • 21141 Posts

GabuEx
I can understand tipping a delivery guy. They have to drive all over the place and get the food to the houses within a reasonable amount of time. They don't deserve ridiculous tips though. There was this one guy in a thread here that claimed pizza delivery guys should get 20 bucks for a tip.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58340 Posts

Ok I know that we tip out of good service, but we only do it to some people. I'm a server, and the majority of my money comes from tips so I'm not complaining, but someone working at McDonalds works just as hard as I do, so why don't we tip them? We tip cab drivers, so why don't we tip bus drivers?effena

Because the cab driver is doing a service purely for you, and his knowledge of the busy city streets goes beyond average.

The bus driver is doing his job, doing his route, and not going above and beyond.

The nice, polite waiter that always kept your coffee cup full and got your orders right is doing a good job strictly for you, putting in extra effort.

The server at McDonalds is just doing his job, the bare minimum, and more often than not is not doing a good job.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Because when someone screws up your $1 hamburger, you're a little bit less pissed-off than when your $40 steak gets messed up.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

To

Insure

Promptness

vidplayer8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 vidplayer8
Member since 2006 • 18549 Posts
At the pizza hut nearest to me, if you order online, they make you pay a delivery charge of $2. So I only tip if I have to call.
CUE82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 CUE82
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
well cabb drivers and ppl that work in barrs and other places like dat have to interact with costumers on ah different level other than the way someone at mickey dees does in mcdonalds you tell them wut you want and its done they dont walk over to you and ask if you okay wit your order like in ah barr or different types of resturants so when you get good service you feel like tippin them i really dont tipp cab drivers but i do waiters and waitresses and bus drivers i think its against their rules or something.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
I don't,I don't believe in it.
tip