why do so many people hate metal?

• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

SlickAndKick made 2 topics like this within 10 minutes, so i figured i'd make one to :Pbut seriously, why are there so many people that hate metal? to those people that do hate metal, have you heard anything other than death/black metal? because imo those are some of the worst sub genres of metal

PS: don't just say "METAL IS TEH SUXORS" actually give a legitimate reason why you don't like metal.

Mumbles527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Mumbles527
Member since 2004 • 7706 Posts
Theres no reason to hate metal. Without metal, we'd still be fighting with sticks and we wouldn't have computers or cars or aluminum foil!
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 blooddemon666
Member since 2003 • 22587 Posts

they don't like it.

maybe they don't like the way they play instruments. maybe its too fast. maybe they don't like how the singer sings.

There's lots of reasons why someone wouldn't like some music.

Avatar image for AtomicBaconBits
AtomicBaconBits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 AtomicBaconBits
Member since 2006 • 8855 Posts
Theres no reason to hate metal. Without metal, we'd still be fighting with sticks and we wouldn't have computers or cars or aluminum foil!Mumbles527
:P I was thinking of saying something like that...
-Jammo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Jammo-
Member since 2006 • 2073 Posts
Metal is not bad. I just hate the type of metal that's just screaming and loud riffs. If the metal has a real nice tune though, I like it.
suicidalpoptrt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 suicidalpoptrt
Member since 2007 • 1570 Posts
I think it is actually the most unique style of music...I usually listen to it when I feel depressed.
-Dionysus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Dionysus-
Member since 2006 • 1276 Posts
I used to like it, I've just grown out of it. It's just annoying for me to listen to like most hip-hop.
Stealth-Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stealth-Gunner
Member since 2004 • 4166 Posts
I don't like that grunting stuff, whatever it is they do. I like some metal songs, but most of them I don't. All it is is personal preference, don't worry about it. I like trance/techno and I'm one of the only ones who does where I live but who cares as long as you like it, what do other's preferences matter.
SlickAndJick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SlickAndJick
Member since 2006 • 698 Posts

SlickAndKick made 2 topics like this within 10 minutes, so i figured i'd make one to :Pbut seriously, why are there so many people that hate metal? to those people that do hate metal, have you heard anything other than death/black metal? because imo those are some of the worst sub genres of metal

PS: don't just say "METAL IS TEH SUXORS" actually give a legitimate reason why you don't like metal.

dante_123456

Interweb stalker?

jk

babyjesus87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 babyjesus87
Member since 2007 • 421 Posts
People have different tastes in music... theres no "good" or "bad" music... its all perception. people hear things differently. personaly I dont like metal, but thats just me.
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

awful stereotypes I think are a big reason why a lot of people hate metal. For example, one GS user I sawsaid he hated metal because its a bunch of men with long hair yelling about their problems and evil things.

Also, some metal elitests turn people off to metal because they're so arrogant.

SlickAndJick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SlickAndJick
Member since 2006 • 698 Posts

Metal is not bad. I just hate the type of metal that's just screaming and loud riffs. If the metal has a real nice tune though, I like it.-Jammo-

Same.

Like breaking benjamin.

blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blooddemon666

People have different tastes in music... theres no "good" or "bad" music... its all perception. people hear things differently. personaly I dont like metal, but thats just me.babyjesus87

ding! someone give this man a cookie!

agreed, minus the metal part :P

wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
Why do so many people (especially on the internet) like metal?
skullkrusher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 skullkrusher13
Member since 2004 • 8629 Posts

Why do so many people (especially on the internet) like metal?wrlyy

because it sounds good. Its not watered down and fit for the mainstream. Double bass, guitar solos, breakdowns (if done well, not overused), and high energy vocalists get me in a good mood. It isn't mellow, there is no whining, its not depressing.

coldkill19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 coldkill19
Member since 2007 • 1658 Posts
it's because they don't want to work at something that sounds so good, where as rap, you dont need to work, its like talking to a beat about ass shaking :lol:
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
Metal is music for the outsider. To like most of the tiem you have to be an outsider. Lots of people on these forums liek metal, but a lot of us are outsiders.
camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts
I never found any art in the music. It always just sounded like crazy noises being made by a bunch of uneducated guys waving their hair around.
-Halftime-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 -Halftime-
Member since 2007 • 10004 Posts

I just dislike it, not my style. I'm a rap/Neo-soul kinda guy.

Avatar image for tequilasunriser
tequilasunriser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tequilasunriser
Member since 2004 • 6379 Posts
A lot of people hate metal beacuase these days it is secretly cool to hate emo but in reality be lying because they listen to emo. Only hating on what they really love because its "cool" at the time.
csimonma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 csimonma
Member since 2005 • 2820 Posts

Theres no reason to hate metal. Without metal, we'd still be fighting with sticks and we wouldn't have computers or cars or aluminum foil!Mumbles527

:lol: wasnt expecting that

Jelle87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jelle87
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

I only accept electronic music into my ears.

I liked metal slightly when I was 13 through 16. I'm back to electronic music though, nicer people and you can dance to it.

minimosher13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 minimosher13
Member since 2005 • 2993 Posts

I'm going to a metal festival today =]

I'm gonna see DragonForce, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Machine Head, Slayer, and some other bands

Metal freakin' owns.

IonescoF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 IonescoF
Member since 2007 • 3052 Posts
Probably they don't enjoy the way how metal bands express their feelings, maybe they hate the weird outfits or the haircuts, maybe they simply hate the message. I just keep it for moments when I'm really in the right mood.
topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 topraman517
Member since 2005 • 823 Posts
Let's clear something up, shall we? Metal is not angst music. That would be nu-metal. In fact, the whole point of metal was to get away from love songs and the like. You don't have to be depressed in order to like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, (old-school)Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc.. You just need to have an open mind towards music. Oh, and being a non-conformist helps as well.
topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topraman517

I never found any art in the music. It always just sounded like crazy noises being made by a bunch of uneducated guys waving their hair around. camreeno360

Well you're not listening very carefully. Or you're listening to cruddy bands. The metal bands I listen to have tempo changes, odd time signatures, expertly played solos, well written lyrics, etc. Metal is much more technical than any other genre of popular music.

Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Apollo5000
Member since 2005 • 18782 Posts
Because they scientifically prove that listening to metal such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc etc actually produces smarter people. And people rebeling from school and stuff would rather listen to "MMM TSH, MMM TSH, MMM TSH I'm hot, i'm hot, i'm hot" or some piece of crap where a rapper "samples" *cough* RIPS OFF *cough* a rock tune and "sings" *cough* TALKS *cough* over the top of it. When i say "sings"/talks they'll only say about 3 or 4 words over and over again for 4 minutes.
RogerC44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#28 RogerC44
Member since 2006 • 2504 Posts
I like it because it usually makes me want to break something.
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blooddemon666
Because they scientifically prove that listening to metal such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc etc actually produces smarter people. And people rebeling from school and stuff would rather listen to "MMM TSH, MMM TSH, MMM TSH I'm hot, i'm hot, i'm hot" or some piece of crap where a rapper "samples" *cough* RIPS OFF *cough* a rock tune and "sings" *cough* TALKS *cough* over the top of it. When i say "sings"/talks they'll only say about 3 or 4 words over and over again for 4 minutes.Apollo5000
I see no link for your scientific proof. so as of now, you are pulling things out of your ass
bluezy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 bluezy
Member since 2004 • 29297 Posts
I like metal. Not death metal or anything like that, but i like St Valentines Massacre, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold, etc.
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 CHAOSWEAV3R
Member since 2006 • 8293 Posts
I love metal because of the lyrics and its intensity, and it can change my mood depending on what type of metal I listen to.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
i dont think its music, it just seems like meaningless screaming to me.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Apollo5000
[QUOTE="Apollo5000"]Because they scientifically prove that listening to metal such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc etc actually produces smarter people. And people rebeling from school and stuff would rather listen to "MMM TSH, MMM TSH, MMM TSH I'm hot, i'm hot, i'm hot" or some piece of crap where a rapper "samples" *cough* RIPS OFF *cough* a rock tune and "sings" *cough* TALKS *cough* over the top of it. When i say "sings"/talks they'll only say about 3 or 4 words over and over again for 4 minutes.blooddemon666
I see no link for your scientific proof. so as of now, you are pulling things out of your ass

You see no link because i added no link. And there tends to be only one this that comes out of my ass and believe me, your the one posting it.... I didn't actually mean that i just never really had a place to put that comeback before... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/03/21/nmetal21.xml Thats one link, i'd say the Telegraph was a reliable source. If not heres Sky News for you http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1256804,00.html?f=rss
blooddemon666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blooddemon666

[QUOTE="blooddemon666"][QUOTE="Apollo5000"]Because they scientifically prove that listening to metal such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath etc etc actually produces smarter people. And people rebeling from school and stuff would rather listen to "MMM TSH, MMM TSH, MMM TSH I'm hot, i'm hot, i'm hot" or some piece of crap where a rapper "samples" *cough* RIPS OFF *cough* a rock tune and "sings" *cough* TALKS *cough* over the top of it. When i say "sings"/talks they'll only say about 3 or 4 words over and over again for 4 minutes.Apollo5000

You see no link because i added no link. And there tends to be only one this that comes out of my ass and believe me, your the one posting it.... I didn't actually mean that i just never really had a place to put that comeback before... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/03/21/nmetal21.xml Thats one link, i'd say the Telegraph was a reliable source. If not heres Sky News for you http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1256804,00.html?f=rss

okay, i belive it now :P I just don't like it when people say something and don't back it up with proof.

(I'm a metal fan btw)

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
if u consider metalica AC/DC motley crue metal then i guess i am a fan then.
topraman517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 topraman517

i dont think its music, it just seems like meaningless screaming to me.gamerchris810

You're generalizing. A lot of metal singers don't scream. And I wouldn't be surprised if even the screaming and grunting metal bands put more time and energy into their music than your average rock band. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of modern metal, but even I know that, say, Lamb of God, is way more musically proficient than any modern rock band.

Seriously, people, take some time to listen to some classic metal albums. Listen to them at a good volume, and if you don't "get it" the first time you listen, then listen again. That tip applies to any music genre, btw. I wouldn't be listening to blues or classical if I just listened to the artist or composer once. Heck, even a lot of rock albums require repeated listenings to appreciate, like Dark Side of the Moon, or Exile on Main St..

Here is a starting list:

1. Rust in Peace by Megadeth(there is a review on Amazon.com from a guy who hates metal and loves rap, and even he couldn't stop himself from headbanging to this one, so this might be your first choice if you're a metal noob)

2. Master of Puppets by Metallica

3. Paranoid by Black Sabbath(BS, btw, is literally the first metal band. The genre would not exist without them. However, Black Sabbath is very blues and jazz influenced, so they are actually quite different from the bands they inspired, preferring a gloomydark atmosphere over breakneck speed)

4. Blizzard of Ozz by Ozzy Osbourne(Neo-classical metal at its finest.)

5. Reign in Blood by Slayer(Okay, so this album is definitely NOT for metal noobs. It is the most unmelodic of the list. But there is something so awesome about the focus, the precision, and the (psuedo)evilnessof this album, so definitely get around to listening to it)

I highly reccomend signing up at rhapsody.com for free. Their free service entitles you to listening to 25 songs per month from their large library of music.With services like Rhapsody, and the internet in general, you have no excuse not to expand your musical taste. So do it!

staindcoldlp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 staindcoldlp
Member since 2004 • 15121 Posts
I think people don't like metal for the same reason people don't like rap. They just don't get it or understand it.
Beaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Beaman
Member since 2005 • 7305 Posts
I used to listen to it a lot, I still do from time to time if I've had a bad day. I've just really started to get tired of it, not to add its becoming the next trend.
mrxb0x360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrxb0x360
Member since 2005 • 5253 Posts
Its a bunch a random notes mixed together with a group of howling monkeys.
-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts
because you can't call that music :roll:
seeken_destroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 seeken_destroy
Member since 2006 • 121 Posts

Once i started listening to metal i went from B average to A(97.3%) average. :D

People hate it because they don't like it, you shouldn't worry about other people so much, its there fault there missing out on great music.

Avatar image for playstation2004
playstation2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 playstation2004
Member since 2004 • 4928 Posts
I dont know:|
Avatar image for deactivated-612079a2c3358
deactivated-612079a2c3358

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-612079a2c3358
Member since 2004 • 1957 Posts

People hate it because they don't like it, you shouldn't worry about other people so much, its there fault there missing out on great music.

seeken_destroy

I don't listen to metal, and I sure as hell am not missing out on great music. Don't be so arrogant, I don't go around parading noise rock or neo-psychedelia as superior genres, saying people are missing out on great music because they dislike them.

tzar3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tzar3
Member since 2006 • 12393 Posts
I dont know why so many people hate metal, most reasons people say its just noise and screaming, ingorance I guess and of course they dont take time to listen to it and dont care for it. Maybe its the theme of metal which most of it is not nice stuff but there are diffrent sub genres for everyone's taste in metal. Maybe its the fashion? Leather jackets, studds and spikes, denim? Maybe its because they think metalheads are scary and crazy I dont know.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Apollo5000

seeken_destroy
Told you it makes you smarter.
PainKiller_25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PainKiller_25
Member since 2006 • 2614 Posts

Because they think its only noise ,most of modern metal bands are...

Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts
Metal is not for everyone. Shouldn't be so hard to understand. And yes, Metal is noisy and gives many people headaches. That's why they don't play it so much in public.
Apollo5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Apollo5000
Metal is not for everyone. Shouldn't be so hard to understand. And yes, Metal is noisy and gives many people headaches. That's why they don't play it so much in public.TheTerribleFish
A shame that, if they did maybe people wouldn't be idiots...
FrozeN__54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FrozeN__54
Member since 2005 • 3434 Posts
I love metal...
Avatar image for TheTerribleFish
TheTerribleFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TheTerribleFish
Member since 2005 • 1793 Posts

Also, some metal elitests turn people off to metal because they're so arrogant.

skullkrusher13

God, I hate arrogant metal elitists. The people that hate any band with more fans than they can count on their fingers, and that only listens to extreme bands from the sewers of middern europe. It makes them feel special, and creates annoying arrogant pricks.