Why do people learn martial arts?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 MoonFoxx
Member since 2005 • 76355 Posts

All the martial arts in the world won't stop a bullet. Why not go "Dirty Harry" on him?
DarthMichael20

i only fired a gun once in my life.. it was a shotgun and it knocked me on my butt. so i'd have to be trained in this as well. but i would never shoot him.. i want to spar with him not kill him lol

DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#52 DarthMichael20
Member since 2005 • 2058 Posts

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
All the martial arts in the world won't stop a bullet. Why not go "Dirty Harry" on him?
MoonFoxx

i only fired a gun once in my life.. it was a shotgun and it knocked me on my butt. so i'd have to be trained in this as well. but i would never shoot him.. i want to spar with him not kill him lol

Oh I know that..... Spar is one thing. Life and death is a whole new ballgame. My job(s) require me to handle firearms and I love it. Don't get me wrong I would never WANT to shoot someone but I know I could if I had to. If you don't mind, what kind of shotgun was it?
JesseMarshall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53 JesseMarshall
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts
i get a good workout
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 MoonFoxx

Oh I know that..... Spar is one thing. Life and death is a whole new ballgame. My job(s) require me to handle firearms and I love it. Don't get me wrong I would never WANT to shoot someone but I know I could if I had to. If you don't mind, what kind of shotgun was it?
DarthMichael20

im not sure. my stepdad has guns and one day last year he took me to my aunt and uncles farm and i just fired it into the pond lol. i just had to try it and he wouldnt let me shoot at anything else. for all i know i coulda killed a fish in that pond :? i will never know..

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Norb30
Member since 2004 • 3010 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
MoonFoxx

what are your job(s)? and ive always found shooting a gun easy.........i never understood how someone could be a bad shot at nomral range.....but i guess am just weird or somthing....
DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
MoonFoxx

im not sure. my stepdad has guns and one day last year he took me to my aunt and uncles farm and i just fired it into the pond lol. i just had to try it and he wouldnt let me shoot at anything else. for all i know i coulda killed a fish in that pond :? i will never know..

I would have suggested something smaller to start out with. If you've never fired a shotgun before it can scare you. There is a way to do it too and not get hurt.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MoonFoxx

what are your job(s)? and ive always found shooting a gun easy.........i never understood how someone could be a bad shot at nomral range.....but i guess am just weird or somthing....
Norb30

yah what are your jobs? i forgot to ask in my post

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#58 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts
if i was in MA i would show off and pick up chicks. but i wouldnt go around beating people up unless they were bad people.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 MoonFoxx
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
DarthMichael20

I would have suggested something smaller to start out with. If you've never fired a shotgun before it can scare you. There is a way to do it too and not get hurt.

i dont think he has anything smaller. he has some rifles other than the shotguns. oh wait.. hes an armed security guard so he does have a smaller gun but he wouldnt have let me use that. the shotgun did kinda scare me though.. and it was very loud. now talking about this makes me want to learn..

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Norb30
[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
MoonFoxx

i dont think he has anything smaller. he has some rifles other than the shotguns. oh wait.. hes an armed security guard so he does have a smaller gun but he wouldnt have let me use that. the shotgun did kinda scare me though.. and it was very loud. now talking about this makes me want to learn..

i think you should learn.....i always felt that people should be well rounded.....cooking...fighting....shooting.....almost anything really....everyone should try to learn alil of everything...
DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="Norb30"] what are your job(s)? and ive always found shooting a gun easy.........i never understood how someone could be a bad shot at nomral range.....but i guess am just weird or somthing....
MoonFoxx

yah what are your jobs? i forgot to ask in my post

This is to answer both of your questions. Now I work in a prison babysitting convicts (check out my 3rd latest journal entry) I'll be starting with the local police dept. next month. You are not weird for assuming that. At close range how can anyone miss right? It happens alot. Fear, adrenaline, and all that jazz play havoc on someone in those situations.
DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"]
MoonFoxx

I'll tell you anything you want to know..... If I don't know it I can PM you later with the info.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
I take Isshin Ryu for many reasons. One, it's a good workout. More importantly, though I've always been pretty tough, I'm getting the training to learn how to control myself in a fight. Everything I've learned is all about practicality, not for show. Isshin Ryu was brought to the US by Marines stationed in Japan after World War II, and Grandmaster Shimabuku broke tradition by allowing non-Asians into his dojo. They brought it back here, keeping all the katas the same as the inventor of the style, but teaching some fighting techniques used by the military as well. My sensei is ex-Army, as well, having fought in Panama and Iraq.

I learn what do out of a fierce desire to be able to protect people that i care about should the time arise. Ideally I'll never have to, but I need to be able to do that. Protect myself and others, that is.

I'm also learning the sword, though most of it is an art form. Much of it includes Aikijitsu, however, and has a very practical use for dealing with weapons in general. When you deal with swords, knives are a bit less threatening. I've learned several knife fighting techniques and barehand vs. knife techniques as well, though... like I said, Aikijitsu is a major part of swordsmanship. Right now I'm a brown belt in sword and an orange belt in Isshin Ryu.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MoonFoxx

i think you should learn.....i always felt that people should be well rounded.....cooking...fighting....shooting.....almost anything really....everyone should try to learn alil of everything...
Norb30

you've sold me on this idea.. thanks Norbie. now i just have to find someone to teach me

DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="Norb30"] i think you should learn.....i always felt that people should be well rounded.....cooking...fighting....shooting.....almost anything really....everyone should try to learn alil of everything...
MoonFoxx

you've sold me on this idea.. thanks Norbie. now i just have to find someone to teach me

When the student is ready the master will appear....... HERE I AM!!!!!!!

LOL:lol:
NintenDOGS6625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 NintenDOGS6625
Member since 2005 • 2038 Posts

Is it to defend themselves when being assaulted or show off? Guyper

being assaulted i believe. it's entirely self-defense. i took it cause i thought it was interesting then quit after 2 years cause

1. i was better than everyone in my class by far (they were horrible at it. i dont even know how they got to their next belt. and i think i was better than them cause i was the biggest guy in the class) i was like twice their size (almost all of them. some of them wernt that short but i was still bigger than them) i could of knocked out any of the kids in one quick punch in the gut. they were about that small

2. i just lost interest in it. after winning a tournament, i somehow just lost interest and had my parents take me out of it cause i wasnt going and i didnt want them to waste their money on something im not participating in.

if you want to learn anything about the martial arts i practiced, go study an old pine tree young grasshopper

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MoonFoxx

I'll tell you anything you want to know..... If I don't know it I can PM you later with the info.
DarthMichael20

ok but i dont really know what to ask right now. im rather sleepy and im going to bed soon. btw is the prison you work at a bad one? like are the convicts there really really bad?

NintenDOGS6625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 NintenDOGS6625
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

[QUOTE="Norb30"] i think you should learn.....i always felt that people should be well rounded.....cooking...fighting....shooting.....almost anything really....everyone should try to learn alil of everything...
DarthMichael20

i believe you need a swift kick in the ba!!s sir. *kicks DarthMicheal20*

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 MoonFoxx

I take Isshin Ryu for many reasons. One, it's a good workout. More importantly, though I've always been pretty tough, I'm getting the training to learn how to control myself in a fight. Everything I've learned is all about practicality, not for show. Isshin Ryu was brought to the US by Marines stationed in Japan after World War II, and Grandmaster Shimabuku broke tradition by allowing non-Asians into his dojo. They brought it back here, keeping all the katas the same as the inventor of the style, but teaching some fighting techniques used by the military as well. My sensei is ex-Army, as well, having fought in Panama and Iraq.

I learn what do out of a fierce desire to be able to protect people that i care about should the time arise. Ideally I'll never have to, but I need to be able to do that. Protect myself and others, that is.

I'm also learning the sword, though most of it is an art form. Much of it includes Aikijitsu, however, and has a very practical use for dealing with weapons in general. When you deal with swords, knives are a bit less threatening. I've learned several knife fighting techniques and barehand vs. knife techniques as well, though... like I said, Aikijitsu is a major part of swordsmanship. Right now I'm a brown belt in sword and an orange belt in Isshin Ryu.
MAILER_DAEMON

how come we never talked about this before? unless we have and i just dont remember. this is something interesting to me.. next time we chat i wanna know more ok?

DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"] I'll tell you anything you want to know..... If I don't know it I can PM you later with the info.
MoonFoxx

ok but i dont really know what to ask right now. im rather sleepy and im going to bed soon. btw is the prison you work at a bad one? like are the convicts there really really bad?

Fortunately no..... We do have some problems with them but we're a small field camp with only about 400 inmates. Most of the time it's pretty laid back. Some though, are meaner then a pissed of bear with a tooth ache.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 MoonFoxx
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

DarthMichael20

so youre gonna teach me huh. i will let you know when im ready

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#72 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]I take Isshin Ryu for many reasons. One, it's a good workout. More importantly, though I've always been pretty tough, I'm getting the training to learn how to control myself in a fight. Everything I've learned is all about practicality, not for show. Isshin Ryu was brought to the US by Marines stationed in Japan after World War II, and Grandmaster Shimabuku broke tradition by allowing non-Asians into his dojo. They brought it back here, keeping all the katas the same as the inventor of the style, but teaching some fighting techniques used by the military as well. My sensei is ex-Army, as well, having fought in Panama and Iraq.

MoonFoxx

how come we never talked about this before? unless we have and i just dont remember. this is something interesting to me.. next time we chat i wanna know more ok?

I think I mentioned it before, but it was that night where you ended up sleeping for about 12 hours or so. ;)
DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 DarthMichael20

NintenDOGS6625

i believe you need a swift kick in the ba!!s sir. *kicks DarthMicheal20*

Not smart to blast the boys of a well armed man. Have you seen any of the Dirty Harry movies? "Make my day!!"
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 MoonFoxx

Fortunately no..... We do have some problems with them but we're a small field camp with only about 400 inmates. Most of the time it's pretty laid back. Some though, are meaner then a pissed of bear with a tooth ache.
DarthMichael20

well thats good. have you ever needed to shoot someone that attacked a guard or tried to run away?

DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 DarthMichael20

MoonFoxx

so youre gonna teach me huh. i will let you know when im ready

Whoa..... We are talking about guns right?!?!?!? Just kidding. If you ever have any questions about firearms feel free to drop me a line.
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 MoonFoxx

I think I mentioned it before, but it was that night where you ended up sleeping for about 12 hours or so. ;)
MAILER_DAEMON

that was the night i wasnt feeling well and i went to bed at 2am right? yah i dont remember. next time i see you we shall discuss further details

LiquidZ08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LiquidZ08
Member since 2004 • 8820 Posts
Self control ... and if you are unable to avoid a fight, its so that you dont lose.  This doesen't mean that you wont lose the fight but it means you stand a better chance at coming out on top.  As for me, I never learned any martial arts.  The only thing I learned was ass kicking from my dad.  Hes been in lots of fights (when he was younger) and the one thing none of you want to have done to you is to get kagged :lol:.  If only everyone knew the power of the kag.
DarthMichael20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 DarthMichael20

[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"] Fortunately no..... We do have some problems with them but we're a small field camp with only about 400 inmates. Most of the time it's pretty laid back. Some though, are meaner then a pissed of bear with a tooth ache.
MoonFoxx

well thats good. have you ever needed to shoot someone that attacked a guard or tried to run away?

The closest I have ever come to shooting a convict was when one was taking the trash out and he started to approach me. (they aren't allowed to do that) I clicked off the safety and he knew I wasn't playing around and  he backed off.
Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Norb30

MoonFoxx

just take care of yourself Andi....if not for yourself for me....dont get urslef shot......
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MoonFoxx

The closest I have ever come to shooting a convict was when one was taking the trash out and he started to approach me. (they aren't allowed to do that) I clicked off the safety and he knew I wasn't playing around and  he backed off.
DarthMichael20

if someone clicked off the safety to me.. i'd back off too. that guy was smart to do that

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MoonFoxx
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

Norb30

just take care of yourself Andi....if not for yourself for me....dont get urslef shot......

i'll try not to get myself shot! but you know me and my blondeness.. i cant make any promises lol

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Norb30
[QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

MoonFoxx

i'll try not to get myself shot! but you know me and my blondeness.. i cant make any promises lol

oh yeah your blonde.......maybe you shouldnt use a gun.... :P
NintenDOGS6625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 NintenDOGS6625
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

Norb30

or even be near one :| you've heard about what blondes just might do

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 MoonFoxx
[QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

NintenDOGS6625

or even be near one :| you know blondes

what if........ i color my hair red?!! naw i like my natural blondeness. k then i will stay away from guns

Meroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Meroe
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="NintenDOGS6625"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

MoonFoxx

what if........ i color my hair red?!! naw i like my natural blondeness. k then i will stay away from guns

You mynx, you know that if Tonya Roberts could hangle a gun in A View to a Kill, you could handle a stick in martial arts

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Norb30
[QUOTE="NintenDOGS6625"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

MoonFoxx

its just a joke silly......dont have us choose for you if you wanna use a gun...cuz if your that easy to control..i damand you do come to my house right now in night gown and high heels and make me some dinner! :twisted:
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MoonFoxx

its just a joke silly......dont have us choose for you if you wanna use a gun...cuz if your that easy to control..i damand you do come to my house right now in night gown and high heels and make me some dinner! :twisted:
Norb30

ok now you sound like Omni :lol: well almost.. at least you didnt ask me to cook naked

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 MoonFoxx

You mynx, you know that if Tonya Roberts could hangle a gun in A View to a Kill, you could handle a stick in martial artsMeroe

hmm this is true.. ok im sold again on this idea!!

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Norb30

[QUOTE="Norb30"] its just a joke silly......dont have us choose for you if you wanna use a gun...cuz if your that easy to control..i damand you do come to my house right now in night gown and high heels and make me some dinner! :twisted:
MoonFoxx

ok now you sound like Omni :lol: well almost.. at least you didnt ask me to cook naked

nah...i like to leave alil imagination for the mind as i watch you cook.......then you can take it off and meet me in the bedroom for dessert :twisted:
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 MoonFoxx

nah...i like to leave alil imagination for the mind as i watch you cook.......then you can take it off and meet me in the bedroom for dessert :twisted:
Norb30

ok how did we go from karate to kamas and katanas to guns to cooking in a nightie and high heels to... dessert. only in OT i swear lol

get back on track now mister

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Norb30

[QUOTE="Norb30"] nah...i like to leave alil imagination for the mind as i watch you cook.......then you can take it off and meet me in the bedroom for dessert :twisted:
MoonFoxx

ok how did we go from karate to kamas and katanas to guns to cooking in a nightie and high heels to... dessert. only in OT i swear lol

well you would be playing with my gun for dessert...... :wink: :twisted:
Meroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Meroe
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="Norb30"]  nah...i like to leave alil imagination for the mind as i watch you cook.......then you can take it off and meet me in the bedroom for dessert :twisted:
MoonFoxx

and he didn't even offer a suit of armor for protection.... your right, only in OT

NintenDOGS6625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 NintenDOGS6625
[QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

[QUOTE="Norb30"] nah...i like to leave alil imagination for the mind as i watch you cook.......then you can take it off and meet me in the bedroom for dessert :twisted:
Norb30

your arm? :?   i heard this one corny line on a shirt that goes "I've got 2 tickets to the gun show!" and it has arrows pointing at 2 arms

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Norb30

NintenDOGS6625

your arm? :? i heard this one corny line on a shirt that goes "I've got 2 tickets to the gun show!" and it has arrows pointing at 2 arms

yeah cuz when i put "come into a bedroom nude for dessert" and " you would be playing with my gun" am talking about my arms..... :|

Guyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Guyper
Member since 2004 • 3879 Posts
[QUOTE="DarthMichael20"] [QUOTE="Norb30"]

[QUOTE="Norb30"] maybe we can spare one day........i shall crush you!
MoonFoxx

beware cuz one day i shall be trained using kamas.. and then i shall crush YOU mister!

kamas? bring it......ill use a katana on you!!

All the martial arts in the world won't stop a bullet.

You're dead wrong. You should have seen David Carradine to believe it  >_>

MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 MoonFoxx

NintenDOGS6625

your arm? :?   i heard this one corny line on a shirt that goes "I've got 2 tickets to the gun show!" and it has arrows pointing at 2 arms

i dont think he meant his arm lol

Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Norb30
[QUOTE="NintenDOGS6625"][QUOTE="Norb30"] [QUOTE="MoonFoxx"]

MoonFoxx

your arm? :? i heard this one corny line on a shirt that goes "I've got 2 tickets to the gun show!" and it has arrows pointing at 2 arms

i dont think he meant his arm lol

no wait....i did mean my arm...........my 3rd arm :twisted:
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MoonFoxx
i thought it was leg not arm? ok wait.. i need to stop. again.... lets get back on track here
Norb30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Norb30
i thought it was leg not arm? ok wait.. i need to stop. again.... lets get back on track hereMoonFoxx
ok lets go back to guns.........you should clean my gun one of these days.......but becareful....it may go off as ur rubing it.......  

i stay with these jokes :lol:
MoonFoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 MoonFoxx
my gawd Norbie :roll: well i did ask you to get back on track.. its my own fault really. but OMG THAT WAS A GOOD ONE!!!! :lol: