Why do Atheists say Christmas isn't about religion?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Nickelback4Life
Nickelback4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nickelback4Life
Member since 2008 • 101 Posts
yea it is lol.

Why do you think churches are always filled to max capacity on Christmas?
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Just because a major religion celebrates the birth of their savior, doesn't make the holiday religious.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Errrr... Christmas is actually the general name for two holidays. Christmas: the religious holiday and Christmas: the commercial holiday
Avatar image for Mythbuster4ever
Mythbuster4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Mythbuster4ever
Member since 2007 • 2846 Posts
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]Errrr... Christmas is actually the general name for two holidays. Christmas: the religious holiday and Christmas: the commercial holiday

Your confusing the second with the "holidays" What, with holiday trees and all, not to mention the fact I've yet to a commercial that said "Merry Christmas"
Avatar image for Takutsugusuppuq
Takutsugusuppuq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Takutsugusuppuq
Member since 2008 • 48 Posts

Errrr... Christmas is actually the general name for two holidays. Christmas: the religious holiday and Christmas: the commercial holidaychessmaster1989

Exactly. For some it's just a time of giving or getting together with family.

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts
Well, it seems like Christmas isn't much about religion now, more about commercializing stuff.
AncientNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 AncientNecro
Member since 2003 • 4957 Posts
the reasoning is that children who celebrate christmas more identify the holiday with a tree and "santa" rather than the birth (which would have been sometime in the spring according to astrological findings) of their savior
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Well it's certainly not about Christianity. The day itself was just ripped right off of the pagan celebration of Saturnalia. Astronomers now believe Jesus was born on June 17, and all of the celebration rituals, such as putting decorations on a tree, are ripped right out of that pagan celebration. The Church basically just came in and said "ok guys we're gonna have your pagan rituals, but uh, we're gonna call it 'Christmas' and it'll celebrate, uh, uh, the birth of Jesus, ok carry on".

Beyond that, the day has largely been stolen once again by companies, further distancing it from what it's ostensibly supposed to be about. You guys should just be glad that the name hasn't been changed on you again. :P

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts
I bet there are more people at the mall around christmas time than there are people at church.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
Check it out "Christ"mas
BladeOfHeaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BladeOfHeaven
Member since 2006 • 6027 Posts

Well it's certainly not about Christianity. The day itself was just ripped right off of the pagan celebration of Saturnalia. Astronomers now believe Jesus was born on June 17, and all of the celebration rituals, such as putting decorations on a tree, are ripped right out of that pagan celebration. The Church basically just came in and said "ok guys we're gonna have your pagan rituals, but uh, we're gonna call it 'Christmas' and it'll celebrate, uh, uh, the birth of Jesus, ok carry on".

Beyond that, the day has largely been stolen once again by companies, further distancing it from what it's ostensibly supposed to be about. You guys should just be glad that the name hasn't been changed on you again. :P

GabuEx
June 17 is my birthday :o
x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts
because they decided to make it about materialism instead.
x_Martyr_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 x_Martyr_x
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

GabuEx

you are referring to the Roman Catholic Church, not the beliefs of every Christian. there is no "The Church" only Jesus Christ; Lord and Saviour.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

BladeOfHeaven

:shock:...you don't think that?....No, that'd be ridiculous :?......can't be true....

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

Christmas isnt about religion to athiests because we dont associate any holiday with religion. Because we dont believe in religions.

I dont go to church on christmas, I dont read the bible on christmas, i dont do anything religious on christmas except play my new video games religiously.

But if its about religion to you because you are religious then so be it but stop oppressing me DAMNIT!!!!

Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
We just call it Antichristmas and celebrate it the same way. ;)
Avatar image for deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 deactivated-5a84f3399aa1c
Member since 2005 • 6504 Posts
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

DJ-Lafleur

:shock:...you don't think that?....No, that'd be ridiculous :?......can't be true....

Oh crap, he's Saturn! Stop him before he eats his children!
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

Because, as it is now, Christmas is nothing more than a materialistic way for those who celebrate the holiday to proclaim that they have built up the greatest amount of credit card debt in buying their family presents. Few people actually celebrate the holiday as it should be. I could understand one or two gifts, but this whole idea of celebrating a saint who dropped bags of gold down the chimneys of poor people in Asia Minor by buying extravagant gifts that no sane person could afford is downright stupid.

And, if you can't tell, I do not like the holiday season.

AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

GabuEx

Yeah, but paganism, and neopaganism is still a religion. So if it isn't about Christianity, its still a religious festival and that makes it a religious celebration. I'm a Christian and I don't care that it is a pagan holiday that became a Christian celebration.

-Jiggles-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Jiggles-
Member since 2008 • 4356 Posts

Because Christmas has become commercialized as a holiday of frantic shop-grinding and get-togethers between families of all religious backgrounds (or lack there-of). Many Christians may still see it as the special time of year to celebrate the birth of their savior, but that doesn't make the holiday exclusively Christian.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Pagans the first people to celebrate a Christmas-esque holiday, generations before the Christian religion even started?

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
The young kids here don't believe in God but still want to recieve gifts on Christmas. That's why atheists want to secularize Christmas even further; they feel left out so they want to change the meaning of the day itself.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Yeah, but paganism, and neopaganism is still a religion. So if it isn't about Christianity, its still a religious festival and that makes it a religious celebration. I'm a Christian and I don't care that it is a pagan holiday that became a Christian celebration.

AmidstTheLight

Yes, but my question is this: who really cares whether or not it's a religious celebration? Surely anything that increases the amount of love and goodwill in the world is something that should be welcomed and celebrated by all. I really find it rather unfortunate whenever I see people going, "Hey, Christmas is our holiday! You're an atheist! You shouldn't celebrate it!"

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#23 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
lol, not really. Many Christians realize Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th and don't like the commercial holiday it's become.
UNHOLY_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UNHOLY_basic
Member since 2008 • 790 Posts
if atheists feel like having a family get together on the same day christmas is then it dosent matter. just celebrate what you do, and worry about yourself.
socked_feet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 socked_feet
Member since 2008 • 2290 Posts
In my opinion, there are two aspects of Christmas: one is that it is a religious celebration, the other is that it is a time to be with family, exchange gifts, and celebrate togetherness in general and hope for a good following year. Not everyone has to celebrate the religious aspect.
AmidstTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmidstTheLight
Member since 2008 • 207 Posts

Yes, but my question is this: who really cares whether or not it's a religious celebration? Surely anything that increases the amount of love and goodwill in the world is something that should be welcomed and celebrated by all. I really find it rather unfortunate whenever I see people going, "Hey, Christmas is our holiday! You're an atheist! You shouldn't celebrate it!"

Yeah thats true. For a Christian the meaning of Christmas should be about everyone. If you don't want to accept a/the religion, it is still about giving and helping others. There are many other people in different religions that celebrate it as well.

stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#27 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts
Well the day of Christmas is technically not the birth of Jesus. It is unknown when he is born so the Christians decided to adopt Christmas as Jesus's birth. Nothing wrong with that.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 zakkro
The young kids here don't believe in God but still want to recieve gifts on Christmas. That's why atheists want to secularize Christmas even further; they feel left out so they want to change the meaning of the day itself.fidosim
To get drunk and party?
MindFreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MindFreeze
Member since 2007 • 2814 Posts
If it truly was all about religion, and in western culture it'd be the case of Christianity now, you'd be doing something for Jesus -- however that would be be possible -- but instead it has become a holiday of getting together with family and gift-giving (and hopefully be nice to others). The latter activities certainly aren't exclusive to religion; Christmas is not about religion any more than that people for some reason feel forced now to flood to the churches since they've been forgetting to do so during the year.
umalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 umalex
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts
Just saying, but the irony of this arguement is about a holiday that's name clearly says what it is. Christ and Mass, aka time of worship of Christ. Atheist would probably be able to end this arguement by using Saturnalia as their holiday, therefore getting rid of the Connection of Religion that will always be connected with Christmas if only due to the name itself. There, a good compromise. Atheist get to use Saturnalia and do whatever the heck they feel, while Christmas remains more religious......I'm writing this at a very late hour, so please be nice with the trolling and critiscism. :D
H_U_R_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 H_U_R_D
Member since 2006 • 4006 Posts

who are u to judge what i should celebrate?

being a former christian, now an athiest, i feel entitled to do whatever i want...probably because of something called the Constitution

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Well I'm an atheist and I don't say that. Christmas=celebrating the birth of Christ, plain and simple. However, most people, like me and my family, have made up different meanings for it like the family togetherness etc.
Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

Check it out "Christ"mas cyberdarkkid

I see what you did there! ;)

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DrSponge
lol, not really. Many Christians realize Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th and don't like the commercial holiday it's become.btaylor2404
Just because he wasn't born on the 25th doesn't mean they can't celebrate it on that day.
zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zakkro
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]lol, not really. Many Christians realize Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th and don't like the commercial holiday it's become.DrSponge
Just because he wasn't born on the 25th doesn't mean they can't celebrate it on that day.

If I were your savior, I'd want you to celebrate my birthday on my freakin' birthday... but that's just me.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#36 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
[QUOTE="btaylor2404"]lol, not really. Many Christians realize Jesus wasn't born on Dec. 25th and don't like the commercial holiday it's become.DrSponge

I understand that and don't have a problem with it. I only have a problem with the militant it's only Christ's birthday people who bash everyone else. Let everyone celebrate it as they wish.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
[QUOTE="BladeOfHeaven"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

DJ-Lafleur

:shock: are you thinking what I'm thinking :shock: is Blade actually Jesus :shock:

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

GabuEx
This, and if Christmas is really about religion so much, then why do almost all Christians lie to their kids and tell them there is a Santa Clause? Jesus isn't zazzy enough for the kiddies?
DouglasBuffone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#39 DouglasBuffone
Member since 2004 • 9421 Posts
I really do not appreciate so many atheists speaking on behalf of Christians on the matter of Christmas. Yes, Christmas has very commercialized elements about it, but there are also deeply entrenched religious elements as well. The fact atheists are celebrating is of no consequence to me, their very act of celebrating the day Jesus Christ was born does nothing but help the religion in my opinion. Many say that Christmas is losing its true meaning, but the true meaning of Christmas is the same thing that atheists say is the "message of Christmas" to love one another (the golden rule) which is inherently the message of Christ. It does not matter if it was not the actual day of Jesus' birth, the day is one for renewal of faith and understanding Jesus' message and impact on the world. If you don't believe in Jesus that is fine by me, but if you don't believe in his overarching message, you don't believe in charity, kindness, and hope, you are disagreeing with ideals of most of the world. That being said, I hate the fact that Christians are a group being pushed around in this country. We have our beliefs and we are entitled to them just as you are entitled to yours. You can't disrespect our opinions because they are not exactly like yours. This is especially true with Christmas. You cannot say that Christmas is solely a commercial holiday because there are about 1.5 billion people who disagree with you. Merry CHRISTmas
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DrSponge
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

SpaceMoose
This, and if Christmas is really about religion so much, then why do almost all Christians lie to their kids and tell them there is a Santa Clause? Jesus isn't zazzy enough for the kiddies?

Because it makes kids happy, I guess.
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
I really do not appreciate so many atheists speaking on behalf of Christians on the matter of Christmas. Yes, Christmas has very commercialized elements about it, but there are also deeply entrenched religious elements as well. The fact atheists are celebrating is of no consequence to me, their very act of celebrating the day Jesus Christ was born does nothing but help the religion in my opinion. Many say that Christmas is losing its true meaning, but the true meaning of Christmas is the same thing that atheists say is the "message of Christmas" to love one another (the golden rule) which is inherently the message of Christ. It does not matter if it was not the actual day of Jesus' birth, the day is one for renewal of faith and understanding Jesus' message and impact on the world. If you don't believe in Jesus that is fine by me, but if you don't believe in his overarching message, you don't believe in charity, kindness, and hope, you are disagreeing with ideals of most of the world. That being said, I hate the fact that Christians are a group being pushed around in this country. We have our beliefs and we are entitled to them just as you are entitled to yours. You can't disrespect our opinions because they are not exactly like yours. This is especially true with Christmas. You cannot say that Christmas is solely a commercial holiday because there are about 1.5 billion people who disagree with you. Merry CHRISTmasDouglasBuffone
Couldn't have been explained better.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
Yeah I have to agree with most. Those who do goto church on xmas are obviously celebrating the religious holiday. However, there are still a good majority of people, not just kids, who only think about the commercial holiday. Giving gifts, etc. Of course all the businesses know that xmas is the highest spending portion of the year, so i am sure they think of it as commercila as well.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpaceMoose
...That being said, I hate the fact that Christians are a group being pushed around in this country....DouglasBuffone
What country would that be?
xXInsomniacXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xXInsomniacXx
Member since 2008 • 97 Posts

Its ridiculous that some people do not think Christmas is a religious holiday.

Those people are just ignorant morons,

I mean my favorite Bible verse is the part that says:

"On the day Jesus was born, we shall exchange gifts and buy trees and and and and decorate them while ummmmmm....we put lights on our homes! Yeah thats it"

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrSponge
I really do not appreciate so many atheists speaking on behalf of Christians on the matter of Christmas. Yes, Christmas has very commercialized elements about it, but there are also deeply entrenched religious elements as well. The fact atheists are celebrating is of no consequence to me, their very act of celebrating the day Jesus Christ was born does nothing but help the religion in my opinion. Many say that Christmas is losing its true meaning, but the true meaning of Christmas is the same thing that atheists say is the "message of Christmas" to love one another (the golden rule) which is inherently the message of Christ. It does not matter if it was not the actual day of Jesus' birth, the day is one for renewal of faith and understanding Jesus' message and impact on the world. If you don't believe in Jesus that is fine by me, but if you don't believe in his overarching message, you don't believe in charity, kindness, and hope, you are disagreeing with ideals of most of the world. That being said, I hate the fact that Christians are a group being pushed around in this country. We have our beliefs and we are entitled to them just as you are entitled to yours. You can't disrespect our opinions because they are not exactly like yours. This is especially true with Christmas. You cannot say that Christmas is solely a commercial holiday because there are about 1.5 billion people who disagree with you. Merry CHRISTmasDouglasBuffone
This.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="DrSponge"] Because it makes kids happy, I guess.

I wasn't aware that the Bible made such distinctions about some lies being okay. Then again, it probably does somewhere; it's inconsistent about pretty much everything else. :P
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DrSponge
[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"][QUOTE="DrSponge"] Because it makes kids happy, I guess.

I wasn't aware that the Bible made such distinctions about some lies being okay. Then again, it probably does somewhere; it's inconsistent about pretty much everything else. :P

It's a small white lie :roll: I'm an atheist, and I hate when I have to defend religion against other atheists.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

GabuEx

If some schools and businesses had their way, it probably would be. It seems like they want to distance themselves from any religious (specifically christian) connotations. Which is silly IMO. I mean who does it really bother? Not me, or any of my Jewish relatives anyways.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="DrSponge"] It's a small white lie :roll: I'm an atheist, and I hate when I have to defend religion against other atheists.

How is that even defending the religion? You're defending people's ignoring rules of their own religion as it is convenient to them; that's not defending "religion."