Why do Americans think "white" is an exclusive ethnicity?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

After watching some dumb "latinos saying things white people says" buzzfeed video I really began to wonder...why the hell do americans think that "white" is an ethnicity that can only encompass "everyone from europe, except spain of course".

I'm costa rican, most people here are white, as in, really white, to the point that when I've been outside of the country, all of the locals keep telling me I look like im from russia, netherlands, or bosnia.

Yet for americans, if I tell them I'm from costa rica, they go "oh so you're not white, you're latino".

My skin is white, it really doesn't matter if I'm not from ireland or something like that, it doesn't changes the fact that my skin is white, that not every latino is going to have dark skin, just like not every european is going to have white skin. This isnt something to imply that skin color makes you superior or anything, but it just pisses me off to see americans saying that "being white" is not a matter of skin color (which should be) but rather a matter of where you were born.

So why the hell is it like this? Is there any sort of explanation for it?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

It's called an over saturation of political correctness and white guilt. Honestly I think the whole labeling people by their ethnicity thing is just stupid to begin with, especially since White means, like you said, pretty much anywhere in Europe. If I was more sensitive and prone to having my feeling hurt I'd correct people and say that I'm of Irish and Scottish heritage but the fact of the matter is that I just don't give a shit. I think that having such labels in the first place is divisive and counter productive anyways.

But we wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, so we label people according to their heritage or skin color.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

LOL. As if this is exclusive to the term "white".

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

To be sure there are a lot of, often unintentionally, racist people in this country but this just an American thing?

Certainly what is considered "white" and "black" is subjective ... in the early 1900s US immigrant groups now considered "white" were though of as black. (e.g. Italians). Similarly someone who is mostly African may have genes for white skin, while someone who is mostly German may have genes for black. In either case people are put in one group or another based on their culture's norms and a select few phenotypes they see, visually.

I would think any culture is going to have in groups and out groups determined largely be physical appearance. It's all really silly and often harmful in the racism that results, but perhaps human nature, nonetheless.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lightleggy

@Meinhard1 said:

To be sure there are a lot of, often unintentionally, racist people in this country but this just an American thing?

Certainly what is considered "white" and "black" is subjective ... in the early 1900s US immigrant groups now considered "white" were though of as black. Similarly who is mostly African may have genes for white skin, while someone who is mostly German may have genes for black.

I would think any culture is going to have in groups and out groups determined largely be physical appearance. It's all really silly and often harmful in the racism that results, but perhaps human nature, nonetheless.

I don't see this as "extremely racist". My problem is that in America (and yes, I mean only in America, because this shit doesn't happen in europe or the rest of the american continent) being white means "having european ancestors, unless they are spaniards", not "having white skin" which is how it should be. For some reasons americans think that if you were born in a latin american country and have white skin, you're still not white for being born in a latin american country.

In the rest of the world, your ethnicity will be defined by your skin color. My passport establishes my description as "white" while my cousin's (who has a more latin look) says "medium-dark skinned". It doesn't describe us both as "latinos" because that is kind of assuming that every single person from a certain ethnicity will have the exact same traits as the others.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lightleggy

@Meinhard1 said:

Certainly what is considered "white" and "black" is subjective ... in the early 1900s US immigrant groups now considered "white" were though of as black. Similarly who is mostly African may have genes for white skin, while someone who is mostly German may have genes for black.

I don't see this as "extremely racist". My problem is that in America (and yes, I mean only in America, because this shit doesn't happen in europe or the rest of the american continent) being white means "having european ancestors, unless they are spaniards", not "having white skin" which is how it should be. For some reasons americans think that if you were born in a latin american country and have white skin, you're still not white for being born in a latin american country.

In the rest of the world, your ethnicity will be defined by your skin color. My passport establishes my description as "white" while my cousin's (who has a more latin look) says "medium-dark skinned". It doesn't describe us both as "latinos" because that is kind of assuming that every single person from a certain ethnicity will have the exact same traits as the others.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts

As an American I've never ever encountered this. Perhaps it's just you.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

Not sure if I should laugh at the stupidity of this thread of be in fits of laughter...OR both.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

@lightleggy said:

@Meinhard1 said:

I guess I'm not convinced that this is unique to America, but we may have more vague notions of ethnicity here since there are so many groups represented, "melting pot" and whatnot.

Still, I won't speak for other countries. In America black and white is about more than skin color. It has to do with who the culture identifies as part of the dominant "white" group, and who is considered part of the "black" minorities. I read this article the other day. I'll share it, in case you're interested. http://inamerica.blogs.cnn.com/2012/12/09/black-in-america-its-not-just-about-the-color-of-your-skin/

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Have you filled out an application lately? For the "ethnicity" section your choices are usually among the following:

1. Latino/Hispanic
  2. African American
  3. Native American
  4. White

So, while I agree that "white" isn't necessarily an ethnicity, then why do employers still feel the need to label it as such on their applications? Why not be politically correct and just put "European American", because that's essentially what I am.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

You haven't convinced me, tc

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Star0 said:

Not sure if I should laugh at the stupidity of this thread of be in fits of laughter...OR both.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i blame communism

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Costa Rica is where we spent my honeymoon. Two of the best weeks of our lives.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Americans have always had a hard time knowing the difference between skin color and nationality. That mentality spreads to everyone if born and/or raised in America regardless whether or not the person saying/thinking it is black or latino.

I've heard people all the time say that this guy is not white becuz he is Mexican:

Also heard black people say this guy isnt black becuz he is Cuban

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@lightleggy: Most people from Spain would still be considered white.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@thegerg said:

I'm an American and I've never encountered what you're talking about.

same here..

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Have you filled out an application lately? For the "ethnicity" section your choices are usually among the following:

1. Latino/Hispanic
  2. African American
  3. Native American
  4. White

So, while I agree that "white" isn't necessarily an ethnicity, then why do employers still feel the need to label it as such on their applications? Why not be politically correct and just put "European American", because that's essentially what I am.

I hate those freaking list for I am not exclusively anyone of those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#21 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@lightleggy said:

Yet for americans, if I tell them I'm from costa rica, they go "oh so you're not white, you're latino".

Same here, when I tell anyone in Europe I'm Portuguese, I'm white, I tell an American I'm Portuguese I'm latino (if anything I'm Hispanic...). Well, to be honest, if I tell anybody in Europe I'm Portuguese then I'm Portuguese, in the US I'm latino XD Don't really understand their obsession with colour =P

(Yes, this is a generalization, no I haven't talked to every single American, yes I'm sure some Americans don't care)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I too am an american and have not encountered this.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@magicalclick said:

That's is nothing compare to Taiwanese. If you cannot say one particular non-official dialog in Taiwan. Doesn't matter you all came from China, all speaks Mandarin, all yellow skin, all born in Taiwan you are still not Taiwanese.

True, but those are usually the indigenous taiwanese. And they have reason to resent the Chaing-Kai-Shek followers that came later and took over the island.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

From what user see a lot of people break it down into just a few categories. You are either white, black, Mexican (Latino), or Asian. I actually had someone think Spain was in South America "why else would they all speak Spanish down there"

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Yeah I'm not sure what you're talking about either, TC.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, if your ancestry is primarily or wholly European, you're white, no matter what country you were born in. Some people in this country can't seem to wrap their heads around the concept of a "white Hispanic". It's simple, really. A white Hispanic is someone of European descent who was born in a Spanish-speaking country or has ancestry from such a country. Contrary to popular belief, not every Hispanic or Latino is a brown-skinned mestizo.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts

Isn't white a synonym for Aryan race?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Americans think alot of crazy things.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

@jasean79 said:

1. Latino/Hispanic
  2. African American
  3. Native American
  4. White

Is this for the US? You have to fill out ethnicity? Why does this matter in an application?

Here in the Netherlands, and I'm pretty sure all other european countries as well, your Nationality would suffice.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@killerfist: yes most applications and other paper work ask. But I think most also have option to choose not to say.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've never encountered it either. I go by face value. If he looks white he's white. If he looks black then he's black. If he looks mixed, then he's mixed.

Like hell it doesn't happen in Europe. When we vacationed there a number of years ago, many there thought my wife n kids were Japanese (my wife is from the Philippines). I'm like, "What?" and just shrugged it off. Same thing with the Turks.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasean79

@killerfist said:

@jasean79 said:

1. Latino/Hispanic
  2. African American
  3. Native American
  4. White

Is this for the US? You have to fill out ethnicity? Why does this matter in an application?

Here in the Netherlands, and I'm pretty sure all other european countries as well, your Nationality would suffice.

I don't know why it matters. Probably something to do with meeting their "equal opportunity employer" quota. I always put "white" and never get hired. I'm going to start putting "Latino" and see if that increases my chances.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

@killerfist said:

@jasean79 said:

1. Latino/Hispanic
  2. African American
  3. Native American
  4. White

Last form that I saw that asked for race was medical form. It listed something like Black, Asian, White, and perhaps Pacific Islander. It also had subcategory for some of them that included: white (nonhispanic), white (hispanic), black (nonhispanic), and black (hispanic). It was a medical form and thus I believe they have reason to ask for your race and possible ethnicity as some diseases can vary amongst different backgrounds. The government also occasionally follows race and ethnicity in terms of assuring equal opportunity for hiring and such.

FatalScorpion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 FatalScorpion
Member since 2014 • 710 Posts

Yeah I'm an American, with Mexican heritage and yes I have to deal with this ALL the time. America needs to move on from this nonsense.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dave123321

@jasean79: please don't lie on the application my friend

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

People should also be classified as red and yellow

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts

Who the hell cares what you're "classified" as, its just an arbitrary label; it doesn't define you.

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

Never encounter this. If I see a white guy then he's white. If black then he's black. Ethnicity is different from the color of the skin.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

I am colour blind when it comes to my fellow humans beings. One love.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3872 Posts

@jasean79: The only place you will find those questions are on government forms. The private sector is forbidden by law to ask ethnic questions.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jasean79

@dave123321 said:

@jasean79: please don't lie on the application my friend

Thanks, Dad. :)

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@lightleggy: If you omit the Spanish in "white", you would also have to omit Greek, Italian, Portugese, and Baltic/Slavic as well. As an American, I usually think of "white" as Anglo-Saxon (English, French, Austrian, German, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch...northern/western European) and Scandinavian.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@bforrester420 said:

@lightleggy: If you omit the Spanish in "white", you would also have to omit Greek, Italian, Portugese, and Baltic/Slavic as well. As an American, I usually think of "white" as Anglo-Saxon (English, French, Austrian, German, Swiss, Belgian, Dutch...northern/western European) and Scandinavian.

Don't speak for Americans. Say YOU usually think. kthanx

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bforrester420

@LJS9502_basic: Reread my post... 'I usually think of "white"...'

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

@bforrester420 said:

I read your post....and I'm still not sure why you had to state "As an American..."

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bforrester420

@LJS9502_basic said:

@bforrester420 said:

I read your post....and I'm still not sure why you had to state "As an American..."

Because the thread is about what "Americans" consider white. I was making the statement that I am an American, so it's understood that I am an American, and this is what I personally think of in terms of the "white" race.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dave123321

@jasean79: maybe your willingness to lie is a symptom of a larger issue that shows through on the application