Why do all you people hate religions??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NumCha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#101 NumCha
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

[QUOTE="NumCha"]theres no proof in thatTheokhoth

Yes there is.

Youyou saying"yes there is" isnt proof!
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#102 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Abortion has nothing to do with science and embryonic stem cell research is obsolete. You were saying?

Scientific advancements should never, ever be made at the expense of human life. That's not religion; that's simple humanity.

Theokhoth

What if those scientific advancements save more human life than they end? :o

That won't matter much to the people science kills, now will it?

Well, it isn't this or the other way. I mean, science can help. Off-course there are worries about the use of science and ethics but the opposition of some religious people to it is just plain stubborness.
Siofen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Siofen
Member since 2008 • 987 Posts

The majority on this forum is probably 16-20. On your mid teens I think teeangers are strictly anti-religious, because that's a real age where you start rebelling against any association with your parents, and I think it's safe to say that the majority of the posters on this forum have religious parents.

I think it's on your late teen's that you blossom out of that whole thing. That's when you really start to respect your parents, and to find the reason behind religion. I think a good portion of the posters on these boards are within this line of thinking.

I have little doubt that with age, the majority of this forum will become religious, but it's kinda obvious pointing that out since most of the world is religious, but whatev.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#104 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Youyou saying"yes there is" isnt proof!NumCha

The text in his message is a link to proof. :P

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts
[QUOTE="lucky326"]It ruins productivity and the human race thats why.NumCha
Sooo true

Both of you I can't take seriously. One is a rebel, the other doesnt know what he even said. Well I guess you are easily manipulated by what your family does or says. You laugh at the Christian religion because your family are extremist? So I see it as a form of rebellion because you disagree with what your parents have tought you yet you point the finger at the teachings of Christianity. I can't take you seriously at all as a theist, or atheist. lucky326 needs to pick up a history book. Many cultures to this day have risen on the foundations of belief and religion, even today, most of our Ivy league schools (Harvard, Yale, Colombia, etc) were actually religious facilities in the 18th and early 19th century but sought out to seek higher education and established themselves as education facilities. I dont know how that ruins productivity. You later complain that theist are throwing the the holy book at stem cell research? Thats human moral and value, not just religion. You dont have to be a Christian to oppose stem cell and abortion debate. Its a complicated debate to begin with.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="NumCha"]theres no proof in thatNumCha

Yes there is.

There is a link there. >__>
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="NumCha"]theres no proof in thatNumCha

Yes there is.

See how the letters are highlighted? That means they're linked. Click on them for your proof.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

The Legend of Zelda. :P

Theokhoth

What??? Anyway I'll stop this fight because there will be too much blood and we will stain the people in this thread.

You know how in Zelda games, the chickens will beat the living hell out of you if you attack one enough times?

I only played Zelda in Game Boy Colour! Anyway...
NumCha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 NumCha
Member since 2008 • 269 Posts

[QUOTE="NumCha"]Youyou saying"yes there is" isnt proof!GabuEx

The text in his message is a link to proof. :P

Sorry lol il go check it out

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Funky_Llama
You later complain that theist are throwing the the holy book at stem cell research? Thats human moral and value, not just religion. You dont have to be a Christian to oppose stem cell and abortion debate. Its a complicated debate to begin with.Kamekazi_69
He never said that Christians were the only people opposing stem cell research and abortion.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Theokhoth
[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

What??? Anyway I'll stop this fight because there will be too much blood and we will stain the people in this thread.

Teenaged

You know how in Zelda games, the chickens will beat the living hell out of you if you attack one enough times?

They do it in GBC, too, I think. :P

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Funky_Llama

The Legend of Zelda. :P

Theokhoth

Dear God, that was so stunningly obscure. :shock:
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]You later complain that theist are throwing the the holy book at stem cell research? Thats human moral and value, not just religion. You dont have to be a Christian to oppose stem cell and abortion debate. Its a complicated debate to begin with.Funky_Llama
He never said that Christians were the only people opposing stem cell research and abortion.

He referred specificly to religious people and their opposition to stem cells and abortion in the context of "how religion holds humanity back."

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Funky_Llama

Theokhoth

They do it in GBC, too, I think. :P

And in Link to the Past.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Theokhoth

Funky_Llama

. . . . Giggity. >_>

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Teenaged

The majority on this forum is probably 16-20. On your mid teens I think teeangers are strictly anti-religious, because that's a real age where you start rebelling against any association with your parents, and I think it's safe to say that the majority of the posters on this forum have religious parents.

I think it's on your late teen's that you blossom out of that whole thing. That's when you really start to respect your parents, and to find the reason behind religion. I think a good portion of the posters on these boards are within this line of thinking.

I have little doubt that with age, the majority of this forum will become religious, but it's kinda obvious pointing that out since most of the world is religious, but whatev.

Siofen

You're right about that. But think: Why do teenagers seek answers? Because they want to know why. Why do grown ups don't? Because they reached a point in their lives where inner search and existential worries come second, after their job, family and social environment. Then is the time when religion will comfort them because they have given up wondering long ago and any trouble about doubting religion is consuming and is distracting them from being like everybody else.

I don't want to sound stereotypical or absolute but that's my... theory. I may be proved wrong but I tend to believe that the clearest state of mind is with very little children. As we grow up we loose that slowly.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"]You later complain that theist are throwing the the holy book at stem cell research? Thats human moral and value, not just religion. You dont have to be a Christian to oppose stem cell and abortion debate. Its a complicated debate to begin with.Theokhoth

He referred specificly to religious people and their opposition to stem cells and abortion in the context of "how religion holds humanity back."

I know. And, again, that doesn't imply that religious people are the only ones opposing it.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 GabuEx

Funky_Llama

I'm sad to say that I got the reference immediately. :P

elpollomaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 elpollomaster
Member since 2007 • 189 Posts

I always hear so many people here say rude things about Christians or Catholics.
Alright first of all, I am a catholic, so are my parents. We never have tried to convert anyone.
We never act like we are better then anyone, we never tell others they are going to hell if they swear or something.

So will atheists hate me just because I am a catholic??

I have a friend who is an atheist and he called me a retard because I am catholic.
So I am retarded because I am a catholic??

Should I be an atheist just because everyone tells me to be one??

joshrocks2245

in my city most people is catholic, and im an atheist. i recommend you to ignore the people who discriminates you. my english not good

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Funky_Llama

Siofen
But this generation could simply turn out to be much less religious than the last. Plus, there are plenty here from Europe, which contains countries in which religious people are a minority.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Funky_Llama

GabuEx

I'm sad to say that I got the reference immediately. :P

I'm not sure whether to pity you or be impressed. :P
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Kamekazi_69

He never said that Christians were the only people opposing stem cell research and abortion.Funky_Llama

I know. And, again, that doesn't imply that religious people are the only ones opposing it.

"yes however alot of scientific research is crippled and could go soo much further if it wasnt for thpose pesky poreotesting christians always complaining that no one except for god has the right to take a human life, ie abortion, stem cell research" -NumCha Straight from the horses mouth. What can I summarize from this statement? that christians are a burden to the research of Stem Cell and abortion. It sounds different to me. Then next time, he shouldnt individualize a certain belief to the problem of a national debate when 300 million citizens have different opinions.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Funky_Llama

Kamekazi_69

"yes however alot of scientific research is crippled and could go soo much further if it wasnt for thpose pesky poreotesting christians always complaining that no one except for god has the right to take a human life, ie abortion, stem cell research" -NumCha Straight from the horses mouth. What can I summarize from this statement? that christians are a burden to the research of Stem Cell and abortion. It sounds different to me. Then next time, he shouldnt individualize a certain belief to the problem of a national debate when 300 million citizens have different opinions.

:roll: Again, contrary to your argument's implication, he never claimed that Christians are the only people opposing it.
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Kamekazi_69
[QUOTE="Kamekazi_69"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]I know. And, again, that doesn't imply that religious people are the only ones opposing it.Funky_Llama

:roll: Again, contrary to your argument's implication, he never claimed that Christians are the only people opposing it.

Like I said before, I dont take him serious, so take it more as me reinforcing the idea that each person has different morality
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#125 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts
I'ma a Catholic too :)
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 joshrocks2245
Member since 2003 • 11248 Posts

I'ma a Catholic too :)cyberdarkkid

Do you enjoy posting in the OT though?
I actually hate it, thats why the past few months I haven't posted here much but the past few days I have been.

It's been a mistake though, I've only been angry because of all the religion bashing that has been going on.

If someone bashed religions like that in real, that person wouldn't have any friends.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#127 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I hate organized religion because it blinds people to logic and reason. There are plenty of people who can compromise their religion with science and logic but far too many remain wholly ignorant to actual reality. Personal beliefs are fine... but Voltaire put it best: "As long as people continue to believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."

I constantly fantasize about fictional things... but I don't let those myths run my life.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Theokhoth

I hate organized religion because it blinds people to logic and reason.
foxhound_fox

What is logic and reason?

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 joshrocks2245

I hate organized religion because it blinds people to logic and reason. There are plenty of people who can compromise their religion with science and logic but far too many remain wholly ignorant to actual reality. Personal beliefs are fine... but Voltaire put it best: "As long as people continue to believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."

I constantly fantasize about fictional things... but I don't let those myths run my life.
foxhound_fox

Alright give me proof that God is fictional.

So the universe wasn't made from God, it just appeared out of no where??
All the planets and everything in the world just came out of no where??

GTA_dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 GTA_dude
Member since 2004 • 18358 Posts
I dont hate religions, I just hate the people who throw their own believes down your throat and try to trun you into them.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 joshrocks2245

I dont hate religions, I just hate the people who throw their own believes down your throat and try to trun you into them.GTA_dude

Can you please give me proof of Christians or Catholics who do this??
It's not usually them, usually it's other weird religions.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#132 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I hate organized religion because it blinds people to logic and reason. There are plenty of people who can compromise their religion with science and logic but far too many remain wholly ignorant to actual reality. Personal beliefs are fine... but Voltaire put it best: "As long as people continue to believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."

joshrocks2245

What on earth does that have to do with his post? He is making a completely valid point. Religion hampers the advancement of science by their blind acceptance of faith running contrary to logic and reason. Besides, he said god was an absurdity, not that god was fictional.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="GTA_dude"]I dont hate religions, I just hate the people who throw their own believes down your throat and try to trun you into them.joshrocks2245

Can you please give me proof of Christians or Catholics who do this??
It's not usually them, usually it's other weird religions.

The entire religious right in America?
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts
I dont mind it, it is good for some people. But I think it causes a lot of problems. I think some people take it too far and that it causes a majority or wars and so on.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 joshrocks2245
[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I hate organized religion because it blinds people to logic and reason. There are plenty of people who can compromise their religion with science and logic but far too many remain wholly ignorant to actual reality. Personal beliefs are fine... but Voltaire put it best: "As long as people continue to believe in absurdities, they will continue to commit atrocities."

Vandalvideo

What on earth does that have to do with his post? He is making a completely valid point. Religion hampers the advancement of science by their blind acceptance of faith running contrary to logic and reason. Besides, he said god was an absurdity, not that god was fictional.

It's not blind acceptance, it's proof.

Theres proof of God, theres proof of Jesus, the bible is real.
No no everyone says God is fictional who is not religious, but he is not fictional.

How did everything get on earth without God??
Everything just appeared??
I don't get how everything could just appear without a creator.

Please explain to me how everything got on this earth.
Also explain to me how every single planet appeared in the universe without a creator.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Theokhoth

Religion hampers the advancement of science by their blind acceptance of faith running contrary to logic and reason. Vandalvideo

What is logic and reason? What advancements of science does religion hamper? How does religion accept anything?

Blind faith does not exist. There simply is no such thing as blind faith in anything, God or otherwise.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 Vandalvideo
It's not blind acceptance, it's proof.Theres proof of God, theres proof of Jesus, the bible is real.No no everyone says God is fictional who is not religious, but he is not fictional.How did everything get on earth without God??Everything just appeared?? don't get how everything could just appear without a creator. Please explain to me how everything got on this earth. Also explain to me how every single planet appeared in the universe without a creator. joshrocks2245
You're arguing in a cartesian fallacy. You're saying that because we are here, and we don't know how we got here, that is proof of god. Sorry, but that is not proof of god. Our lack of understanding is not proof of a higher power. Man used to not understand that lightening was made from natural phenomenon, and attributed it to the existance of some extra terristrial being. You can't pretend ignorance is proof of god's existance.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Vandalvideo
What is logic and reason? What advancements of science does religion hamper? How does religion accept anything? Blind faith does not exist. There simply is no such thing as blind faith in anything, God or otherwise.Theokhoth
Logic and reason are directly contrary to faith as an absurdity. It is the belief in things not otherwise perceived through evidence.Religion has a long history of holding back the sciences in areas such as astrology and now stem cell research. Religion cannot handle things that may threaten their status quo, so they declare it heretic.
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Because religion is annoying.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Theokhoth

Logic and reason are directly contrary to faith as an absurdity.1 It is the belief in things not otherwise perceived through evidence.2 Religion has a long history of holding back the sciences in areas such as astrology and now stem cell research.3 Religion cannot handle things that may threaten their status quo, so they declare it heretic.4Vandalvideo

1. That doesn't answer the question.

2. Again, no such thing.

3. Religion hasn't held back stem cell research; only embryonic stem cell research, which is obsolete. And again, you never answered the question.

4. That goes for every established normalcy in existence.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 joshrocks2245

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]It's not blind acceptance, it's proof.Theres proof of God, theres proof of Jesus, the bible is real.No no everyone says God is fictional who is not religious, but he is not fictional.How did everything get on earth without God??Everything just appeared?? don't get how everything could just appear without a creator. Please explain to me how everything got on this earth. Also explain to me how every single planet appeared in the universe without a creator. Vandalvideo
You're arguing in a cartesian fallacy. You're saying that because we are here, and we don't know how we got here, that is proof of god. Sorry, but that is not proof of god. Our lack of understanding is not proof of a higher power. Man used to not understand that lightening was made from natural phenomenon, and attributed it to the existance of some extra terristrial being. You can't pretend ignorance is proof of god's existance.

We don't know how we got here? There is no proof of God? :|
There is proof of God, and we may not know how we got here but it had to be by a creator.

Let me explain this to you. You really think the universe just popped out of no where??
All of the sudden, everything was created by nothing??

It is impossible for nothing to create something, so yes something did create everything because that is the only way it can be.

joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 joshrocks2245

Because religion is annoying.Bloodbath_87

Religion is annoying??
The religion bashers aren't annoying??

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Vandalvideo
1. That doesn't answer the question.Theokhoth
Of course it answers the question. Logic and reasoning are a contrast between faith. It is the acceptance with or without evidence of things.

2. Again, no such thing.

No such thing? What about the persecution of Gallileo for Helicentrism? The church practically held his ideas hostage at the end of a sword!

3. Religion hasn't held back stem cell research; only embryonic stem cell research, which is obsolete.

Stem cell research qua stem cell research. Holding back science for your own moralistic tendencies is opression.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Vandalvideo
We don't know how we got here? There is no proof of God? :|There is proof of God, and we may not know how we got here but it had to be by a creator.Let me explain this to you. You really think the universe just popped out of no where??All of the sudden, everything was created by nothing??It is impossible for nothing to create something, so yes something did create everything because that is the only way it can be. joshrocks2245
How do you KNOW that it is impossible to create nothing out of something? Newton was smart, but even he is not infallible. Science is an evolving entity, constantly correcting itself as new observations are being made. Newton's law of preservation of mass may be obsolete one day. Besides, you are still relying on a Cartesian Fallacy. You think that, because we did not pop out of nowhere, then god exists. Prove that we did not pop out of nowhere if you want to make such claims.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Theokhoth

Of course it answers the question. Logic and reasoning are a contrast between faith. It is the acceptance with or without evidence of things.1 No such thing? What about the persecution of Gallileo for Helicentrism? The church practically held his ideas hostage at the end of a sword!2 Stem cell research qua stem cell research. Holding back science for your own moralistic tendencies is opression.3Vandalvideo

1. No, it doesn't. You're telling me what logic and reason isn't, but you're saying nothing about what it is.

2. That isn't blind faith, and Galileo was persecuted for stepping out of his authority with the Pope, not for his heliocentric findings. You still haven't answered the second question.

3. Killing humans for the advancement of science is oppression. Hence the opposition to embryonic stem cell research. However, adult stem cell research works better, making embryonic stem cell research, and the controversies surrounding it, obsolete. Science is not an authority and should never, ever, be treated as such.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Vandalvideo
1. No, it doesn't. You're telling me what logic and reason isn't, but you're saying nothing about what it is.Theokhoth
The only way to establish what logic and reason are is to examine what it isn't. There is a dichotomy between logic/reason and faith.

2. That isn't blind faith, and Galileo was persecuted for stepping out of his authority with the Pope, not for his heliocentric findings. You still haven't answered the second question.

Galileo was FORCEd at the end of a sword to renounce his own beliefs because it went against the status quo and the church. Heliocentrism was OPPRESSED by the church. That is a fact.

3. Killing humans for the advancement of science is oppression. Hence the opposition to embryonic stem cell research. However, adult stem cell research works better, making embryonic stem cell research, and the controversies surrounding it, obsolete. Science is not an authority and should never, ever, be treated as such.

By law, they are not humans. They do not have the basic functional capacities under law to constitute persons, and are not offorded the protections of humans. You're relying on a definition of human from religious tenents.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 GabuEx

Stem cell research qua stem cell research. Holding back science for your own moralistic tendencies is opression.Vandalvideo

If you believe that some procedure is causing the deaths of innocent human lives, would it not be morally treasonable not to speak out against it?

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Vandalvideo

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Stem cell research qua stem cell research. Holding back science for your own moralistic tendencies is opression.GabuEx

If you believe that some procedure is causing the deaths of innocent human lives, would it not be morally treasonable not to speak out against it?

Aaaaand belief is the problem that we're discussing here as opposed to logic and reason. Belief holds no place in the realm of law, science, and man.
joshrocks2245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 joshrocks2245

[QUOTE="joshrocks2245"]We don't know how we got here? There is no proof of God? :|There is proof of God, and we may not know how we got here but it had to be by a creator.Let me explain this to you. You really think the universe just popped out of no where??All of the sudden, everything was created by nothing??It is impossible for nothing to create something, so yes something did create everything because that is the only way it can be. Vandalvideo
How do you KNOW that it is impossible to create nothing out of something? Newton was smart, but even he is not infallible. Science is an evolving entity, constantly correcting itself as new observations are being made. Newton's law of preservation of mass may be obsolete one day. Besides, you are still relying on a Cartesian Fallacy. You think that, because we did not pop out of nowhere, then god exists. Prove that we did not pop out of nowhere if you want to make such claims.

Well I have proof God exists, so I am not just saying he exists because we popped out of no where.

But you really think we could pop out of no where with no creator? You honestly think everything on this earth wasn't created by a higher power and it just appeared here? :|

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Theokhoth

The only way to establish what logic and reason are is to examine what it isn't.1 There is a dichotomy between logic/reason and faith.2 Galileo was FORCEd at the end of a sword to renounce his own beliefs because it went against the status quo and the church.3 Heliocentrism was OPPRESSED by the church. That is a fact.4 By law, they are not humans.5 They do not have the basic functional capacities under law to constitute persons, and are not offorded the protections of humans. You're relying on a definition of human from religious tenentsVandalvideo

1. No it is not. I'm giving you one last chance: Tell me what logic and reason are or this discussion is over.

2. Yet you still haven't established what logic/reason is or what faith is.

3. Galileo was forced to do so because after stepping out of line, his findings could not be accepted. The Church ACCEPTED heliocentricism before they condemned Galileo, and THAT is the fact.

4. The law is wrong and unjust, and like any other wrong and unjust law, should be opposed. By biology they are human.

5. I don't have to be religious to consider them humans. Relying on an unjust law to establish the moral rightness of an action is faulty.