Why are most popular artists/bands from the UK or US?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Reed_Bowie
Member since 2011 • 506 Posts
And yes, I'm fully aware that there are many quality bands/artists from other nations as well, so I don't require a list. Basically, what makes bands from the UK or US have such a wide appeal while a band from a Non-English speaking nation would have a harder time picking up a large fanbase?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Because every corner of the globe typically has a basic understanding of English. Most of the world isn't going to understand a song in, say, German. Also bands from the west are going to naturally get more exposure.

Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Reed_Bowie

Because every corner of the globe typically has a basic understanding of English. Most of the world isn't going to understand a song in, say, German.

Pirate700
Even if a German band sings in English, they still probably wouldn't have as much success as an English band singing in English.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Because every corner of the globe typically has a basic understanding of English. Most of the world isn't going to understand a song in, say, German.

Reed_Bowie

Even if a German band sings in English, they still probably wouldn't have as much success as an English band singing in English.

If they're a German band, spending most of their time in Germany, they just naturally aren't going to get much exposure. American (especially) and UK bands are significantly more culturally influential and exposed.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
Because English.
MacBoomStick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MacBoomStick
Member since 2011 • 1822 Posts

United States is the entertainment capitol of the world. And well... Is pretty much the capitol of the world in every other respect too.

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 megagene

United States is the entertainment capitol of the world. And well... Is pretty much the capitol of the world in every other respect too.

MacBoomStick
Explain how.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178855 Posts
And yes, I'm fully aware that there are many quality bands/artists from other nations as well, so I don't require a list. Basically, what makes bands from the UK or US have such a wide appeal while a band from a Non-English speaking nation would have a harder time picking up a large fanbase?Reed_Bowie
Because....English. And culture.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

megagene
Explain how.

Because.:o
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 jim_shorts
Member since 2006 • 7320 Posts

The United States influences culture on pretty much every corner of the world. 

megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 megagene
[QUOTE="megagene"][QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

LJS9502_basic
Explain how.

Because.:o

Oh yeah!
Avatar image for BenedictArnold7
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenedictArnold7
Member since 2012 • 743 Posts
Well as far as the US goes I think it is because life is hard here. People work A LOT and often neglect their families. It has been a melting pot for a long time which causes problems since people are racist (extend of racism varies). ALSO The sorrows of growing up in lonely environments, combined with the dog eat dog scene and all the other crap I said can often spark creativity.
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jim_shorts
Well as far as the US goes I think it is because life is hard here. People work A LOT and often neglect their families. It has been a melting pot for a long time which causes problems since people are racist (extend of racism varies). ALSO The sorrows of growing up in lonely environments, combined with the dog eat dog scene and all the other crap I said can often spark creativity. BenedictArnold7
The United States is no more racist that anywhere else. Quite a bit less so than lots of places in Europe.
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BenedictArnold7
[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Well as far as the US goes I think it is because life is hard here. People work A LOT and often neglect their families. It has been a melting pot for a long time which causes problems since people are racist (extend of racism varies). ALSO The sorrows of growing up in lonely environments, combined with the dog eat dog scene and all the other crap I said can often spark creativity. jim_shorts
The United States is no more racist that anywhere else. Quite a bit less so than lots of places in Europe.

I never made any comparison to other countries.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
TC - How do you explain Gangnam Style? :)
jim_shorts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jim_shorts
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Well as far as the US goes I think it is because life is hard here. People work A LOT and often neglect their families. It has been a melting pot for a long time which causes problems since people are racist (extend of racism varies). ALSO The sorrows of growing up in lonely environments, combined with the dog eat dog scene and all the other crap I said can often spark creativity. BenedictArnold7

If you are saying it's tied to the reasons for creativity in American music (which is a weird claim if you ask me) then that sort of implies that it's somehow worse than elsewhere.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"]Well as far as the US goes I think it is because life is hard here. People work A LOT and often neglect their families. It has been a melting pot for a long time which causes problems since people are racist (extend of racism varies). ALSO The sorrows of growing up in lonely environments, combined with the dog eat dog scene and all the other crap I said can often spark creativity. BenedictArnold7

Then how did you come by your title "hard" here etc.  You need something to compare with to use that adjective...otherwise it's just nonsense.

CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts
[QUOTE="Reed_Bowie"]And yes, I'm fully aware that there are many quality bands/artists from other nations as well, so I don't require a list. Basically, what makes bands from the UK or US have such a wide appeal while a band from a Non-English speaking nation would have a harder time picking up a large fanbase?LJS9502_basic
Because....English. And culture.

America, Jesus, and Freedom.
CptJSparrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CptJSparrow
Member since 2007 • 10898 Posts

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]The United States is no more racist that anywhere else. Quite a bit less so than lots of places in Europe.LJS9502_basic

Then how did you come by your title "hard" here etc.  You need something to compare with to use that adjective...otherwise it's just nonsense.

Well...
Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

because Indian music sucks

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
Because English.megagene
Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Reed_Bowie
TC - How do you explain Gangnam Style? :)Stinger78
It's an isolated indecent.
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BenedictArnold7

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]The United States is no more racist that anywhere else. Quite a bit less so than lots of places in Europe.LJS9502_basic

I am trying to think if that is the case. I will get back to you eventually.
BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BenedictArnold7
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"] I never made any comparison to other countries. BenedictArnold7

Ok I figured it out. Something is hard because something else is easy... otherwise there would be no frame of reference... YES... BUT in this case... I am saying life in America is hard. In this case, it does not necessarily imply that life elsewhere is in general easier. It only implies that something else can be easy/hard... like learning to fly a plane.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Who cares about popular music?
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 megagene
Who cares about popular music? Zeviander
Tweens, man... Tweens.
lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Because we rule
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

MacBoomStick
[QUOTE="MacBoomStick"]

megagene
Explain how.

Hollywood, for one. Then music and television have more broad appeal than any other source of entertainment. Video games are still pretty spread out across the world, but generally its the American and Japanese companies that dictate the experience with console and mobile gaming. I wouldn't agree beyond entertainment... But the US would probably be the entertainment capitol of the world, if anywhere is.
Iceozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Iceozo
Member since 2009 • 6441 Posts

TC - How do you explain Gangnam Style? :)Stinger78

Yeah and all those other supremely popular songs from Korea... oh wait. 

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

Because the world has been Americanized. The UK has been riding off US success.

nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nunovlopes

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then how did you come by your title "hard" here etc.  You need something to compare with to use that adjective...otherwise it's just nonsense.

BenedictArnold7

Ok I figured it out. Something is hard because something else is easy... otherwise there would be no frame of reference... YES... BUT in this case... I am saying life in America is hard. In this case, it does not necessarily imply that life elsewhere is in general easier. It only implies that something else can be easy/hard... like learning to fly a plane.

You guys in the US have it much easier than in pretty much everywhere else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Probably because they have access to the largest media market.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Then how did you come by your title "hard" here etc.  You need something to compare with to use that adjective...otherwise it's just nonsense.BenedictArnold7

But that is still comparative. Something is neither easy or hard unless it has a comparison.
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

Because behemoth record labels were formed and operate in both the US and the UK. Labels determine what is popular by funding ad campaigns, giving artists more exposure, and helping with the touring and recording process. Many of these labels have been around for sixty plus years now and have gone through quite a few changes to keep their products appealing to the largest population.

English is a secondary factor. 

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
cause bands from Transylvania don't have the "bite"?
Reed_Bowie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Reed_Bowie

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"] I am trying to think if that is the case. I will get back to you eventually. nunovlopes

You can really tell by our top notch health-care system, stellar education system, and booming economy.
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nunovlopes

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

[QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"] Ok I figured it out. Something is hard because something else is easy... otherwise there would be no frame of reference... YES... BUT in this case... I am saying life in America is hard. In this case, it does not necessarily imply that life elsewhere is in general easier. It only implies that something else can be easy/hard... like learning to fly a plane. Reed_Bowie

You can really tell by our top notch health-care system, stellar education system, and booming economy.

You're still MUCH better than most of the world. I live in Portugal. "Free" education, "free" healthcare, yada, yada, the country is in a mess, unemployment through the roof, insane debt, really high gas prices, relatively low wages (compared to most of Western Europe), and so on. Still better than most of the world.

BenedictArnold7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BenedictArnold7
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"][QUOTE="BenedictArnold7"] I am trying to think if that is the case. I will get back to you eventually.

But that is still comparative. Something is neither easy or hard unless it has a comparison.

Yes. I see that.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Japan and Brazil got better band honestly ......... most american and british band r selling face first, primadonna second, music third

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

English has been the language of entertainment for the past 50 years or so. Thats all. The market share is huge.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Meh, I listen to all kinds of music, from all kinds of locales.
Fire_Emblem_RD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 Fire_Emblem_RD
Member since 2008 • 9611 Posts
Its really simple. There are generally 4 countries to that are considered cultural super powers - USA, UK, India and Japan (though South Korea is believed to have a potential to be a fifth with their entertainment boom). Of those countries, the most widespread language is obviously English. So of course they'd be the most popular. Bands from some of the most important cultural exporters using the world's current lingua franca = success.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

The United States influences culture on pretty much every corner of the world. 

jim_shorts

Don't talk rubbish.

In an unrelated matter I really would like a can of coke right now.

laluna1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 laluna1
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Because English.megagene
Its true ;)