Why Are Chicks So In Love With Paris?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

I don't know any girls who romanticize France. Most of their attention is directed at Korea and Japan.

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] The last part is false, not every frenchmen (or even frenchwomen) is hot, like in every other country, you can't say that the person will be hot just because of it's nationality.lightleggy

I never said every French guy is hot. How the hell did you get that from my post?

"hot guys" implying the girls go to paris because there are hot guys in paris but not anywhere else.

No his post does not imply that at all. Unless you are saying that it also implies that girls only go to Paris because it's the only city in the world with culture, art and food.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
My wife can careless about Paris.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

[QUOTE="PsychoLemons"]

I heard that French people are jerks to foreigners or tourists.

ziggyww

We British have a bad reputation for being loud mouthed racists in Europe but when according to the latest figures France, Greece, Italy and all of the eastern are a lot more racist then us and OMG Spain is always known for being one of the most racist country's going. They go to Football matches and make monkey sounds to the black players etc. Thats DISGUSTING thing to do but somehow we British look like the stain of Europe. Even Greece still hate us after we bailed them out more then any other country in Europe yeah things are still bad for them but no one else helped as much and they would have been a lot worse without us but they still hate us LOL so we should just take our money back then and let them work it out for themselves then.

I thought the Germans helped Greece the most and there is notorious tension between Germany and Greece at the moment. Where does the UK come into this?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Hexagon_777

My wife can careless about Paris. AbstractRadical
So she cares about Paris? I see.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#55 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Berlin > London > Amsterdam > Barcelona > Paris.

I've been to Paris a couple of times and I think it's not all that great.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

I don't know any girls who romanticize France. Most of their attention is directed at Korea and Japan. [QUOTE="lightleggy"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]I never said every French guy is hot. How the hell did you get that from my post?

Barbariser

"hot guys" implying the girls go to paris because there are hot guys in paris but not anywhere else.

No his post does not imply that at all. Unless you are saying that it also implies that girls only go to Paris because it's the only city in the world with culture, art and food.

lol

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
They're just being pretentious that's all.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

You're asking about something related to the world outside of america on a forum populated mostly by americans? :?

Avatar image for black_chamber99
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 black_chamber99
Member since 2010 • 1696 Posts

You're asking about something related to the world outside of america on a forum populated mostly by americans? :?

themajormayor
why do europeans always have bring up america in everything?
Avatar image for djshowstopper87
djshowstopper87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 djshowstopper87
Member since 2012 • 417 Posts

I went to Paris once and it was just okay for me. I mean there are some hot french girls and it is legal for them to be topless at beaches in France, but overall Paris is overrated. The food was pretty good though.. 

KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts

Who knows but it's best to just go with the flow. My girl is totally into ballet and not only have I been pretending to like it I actually do like it now. Liking Paris seems easy enough and I probably would genuinely like it as it appears to be a nice city.

KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts

Ironically my favourite ballet performance is Paris themed. There probably isn't any hope for me anymore :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slhOR2mqbgM

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

TheFlush

NO 

London>Barcelona>Amsterdam>Berlin>Paris

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Zaibach

NO 

London>Barcelona>Amsterdam>Paris

hating on berlin? berlin's been getting pretty hyped up lately? is it overrated or what?
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

black_chamber99

NO 

hating on berlin? berlin's been getting pretty hyped up lately? is it overrated or what?

that was a mistake on my part

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#67 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

black_chamber99

NO 

Berlin's a nice town but it's not a global city like London or New York.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts
They think its a romantic destination. But is it true that locals there are rude to tourists?
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 TheFlush

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"][QUOTE="Zaibach"]NO 

Ninja-Hippo

Berlin is way cooler than London. More relaxed vibe there, better clubs, friendlier people and it's cheaper than London.

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="black_chamber99"] hating on berlin? berlin's been getting pretty hyped up lately? is it overrated or what?TheFlush

Berlin is way cooler than London. More relaxed vibe there, better clubs, friendlier people and it's cheaper than London.

but new york is still way cooler
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

themajormayor

He was actually referring to the town of Paris in New York state.  :P

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"][QUOTE="black_chamber99"] hating on berlin? berlin's been getting pretty hyped up lately? is it overrated or what?TheFlush

what does that even mean?

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Berlin's a nice town but it's not a global city like London or New York.Zaibach

he already explained it in his post..
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

black_chamber99

he already explained it in his post..

'Cool' is an objectively dumb means by which to measure a gigantic global metropolis.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

But is it true that locals there are rude to tourists?gago-gago

Yes but as long as you bonjour them it's not that bad.

If you want to disappoint your girlfriends take them to the Eiffel Tower during the day. It's one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. It's stunning at night though.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#76 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

They think its a romantic destination. But is it true that locals there are rude to tourists?gago-gago

Unfortunately yes. In most areas of France, people are very friendly, even amazingly friendly. But in Paris, they will be very rude, especially if you are American and ESPECIALLY if you don't speak French.

I have an ex from many years ago who is for all intents and purposes fluent in French, and she confirms this regularly. They only try to hassle her minimally if she's speaking French, but if she goes into a place and speaks any English or if her French is not quite perfect, she can be given a hard time. Every now and then it happens when she forgets herself and speaks English or has a bit of trouble with phrasing.

One example she related to me recently when I saw her again at a High School reunion: She went to the Louvre with her daughter several years ago. Her daughter had to use the bathroom badly, as in about to pee on herself, and they were having no luck finding the bathrooms. She asked someone and in her panic forgot to do so in French. The reply she got from this very rude French debutate was "There's a nice field out in the back with plenty of grass." My ex then replied in French "Then why aren't you grazing in it?"

She's noted to me several times that outside of Paris it's almost never a problem. Parisians seem to get their jollies from this sort of behavior.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
As a Parisian, I can say Paris is pretty **** amazing.
psn8214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 psn8214
Member since 2009 • 14930 Posts

Girls loving Paris is totally a cliche, but c'mon, it's freakin' Paris. It's an awesome place.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Zaibach

NO 

London is dirty as fuuu, loud, obnoxious, and just unpleasant. :|

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Berlin's a nice town but it's not a global city like London or New York.Zaibach

The London underground gets quite hot and stuffy. :cry:

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
I'm not in love with Paris, though I do think it sounds like an interesting place.
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 black_chamber99
I'm not in love with Paris, though I do think it sounds like an interesting place.Toph_Girl250
you're in love with paris
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#86 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="gago-gago"]They think its a romantic destination. But is it true that locals there are rude to tourists?m0zart

Unfortunately yes. In most areas of France, people are very friendly, even amazingly friendly. But in Paris, they will be very rude, especially if you are American and ESPECIALLY if you don't speak French.

I have an ex from many years ago who is for all intents and purposes fluent in French, and she confirms this regularly. They only try to hassle her minimally if she's speaking French, but if she goes into a place and speaks any English or if her French is not quite perfect, she can be given a hard time. Every now and then it happens when she forgets herself and speaks English or has a bit of trouble with phrasing.

One example she related to me recently when I saw her again at a High School reunion: She went to the Louvre with her daughter several years ago. Her daughter had to use the bathroom badly, as in about to pee on herself, and they were having no luck finding the bathrooms. She asked someone and in her panic forgot to do so in French. The reply she got from this very rude French debutate was "There's a nice field out in the back with plenty of grass." My ex then replied in French "Then why aren't you grazing in it?"

She's noted to me several times that outside of Paris it's almost never a problem. Parisians seem to get their jollies from this sort of behavior.

You're the one making generalizations about Parisians based on a a few anecdotal stories, I'm sure they wouldn't exactly find that in good taste.

There are plenty of stories of Parisians acting rudely and of them acting kindly, like in any big city it depends on whom you run into.  I've got plenty of stories of people acting both ways towards me in Chicago.  Besides, how do you think people in American cities would start reacting if someone came up to them and only spoke French?  How many times do you hear Americans criticizing people for not learning English?  When people come to the U.S. there's an expectation that they speak passable English, the French have the same expectations.  I think with Paris especially there are a lot of tourists who pick up a phrasebook and try to scrape by with next to zero knowledge of the language, to the French that seems very arrogant.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Zaibach

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

Hexagon_777

NO 

London is dirty as fuuu, loud, obnoxious, and just unpleasant. :|

so, its a City? :?

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#88 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

There are plenty of stories of Parisians acting rudely and of them acting kindly, like in any big city it depends on whom you run into. I've got plenty of stories of people acting both ways towards me in Chicago. Besides, how do you think people in American cities would start reacting if someone came up to them and only spoke French? How many times do you hear Americans criticizing people for not learning English? When people come to the U.S. there's an expectation that they speak passable English, the French have the same expectations. I think with Paris especially there are a lot of tourists who pick up a phrasebook and try to scrape by with next to zero knowledge of the language, to the French that seems very arrogant.

theone86

I don't think I've EVER been rude to someone who comes to the US and doesn't speak passable English, so I am not sure you are correct about that one. I have actually ran into folks more often than not who could not speak passable English, and I was as helpful as I could be. In fact, I think most Americans WOULD be that helpful, unless they are the thuggish kind.

We might laugh about it later. But I haven't seen Americans bullying or insulting folks to their faces, or sending them to the gutters when asking for help, for not being perfect English speakers.

Now I admit that was one anecdote, but I've certainly heard a lot more than just one anecdote. I've also had tacit admission from many Parisians and French living outside of Paris that this is in fact a problem. Almost half of a team I recently worked with were French from our office in Paris and they readily admitted the issue would exist, even warning me about it before when I was scheduled on a trip (which was ultimately cancelled). My boss of five years was Parisian, and talked about the situation readily with me and others. Belgians in our Belgian office even spoke about it. So I seriously doubt they wouldn't find it in good taste when it's on their lips as often as it is on just about anyone else's.

The bottom-line for me is that if someone came to me and said "I am about to travel to Paris, and I was wondering if my lack of French skills would be an issue", I woudl have to say "To the best of my knowledge, based on what I've heard about the situation, the answer is yes and you should probably be prepared for it." I feel like that would be an honest answer -- it certainly is the honest answer I've been given by those who haven't just heard but know. So I gave that honest answer here, and I stand by it, even if it offends the life out of a few folks. It doesn't mean that everyone will do it to them in Paris, but it's enough of a problem that they will probably experience it.

Now, if you've experienced that issue in America because of whatever accent or language issues you claim to have, feel free to give that same adivce to people who are planning to visit the US. I won't be offended in the least.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

It's the city of romance. Love is always in the air! 

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Toph_Girl250

soulless4now
Let's both take a vacation there someday and go date hunting. :P
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Toph_Girl250
I don't think I've EVER been rude to someone who comes to the US and doesn't speak passable English, so I am not sure you are correct about that one. I have actually ran into folks more often than not who could not speak passable English, and I was as helpful as I could be. In fact, I think most Americans WOULD be that helpful, unless they are the thuggish kind.m0zart
Yeah I think normally the average person (myself included) walking down some city street and has someone come up to them, and speaks Spanish or French or whatever, their first reaction would be "What? What's this person saying?" Some might instantly say they can't help them, but others I think would be trying to figure out ways to help them, like show them where the nearest bathroom is or show them city streets or something. I find it hard to believe that here in America the normal thing a person would do, would be to just automatically insult someone speaking a different language, unless maybe this happened in a city known to have a real bad reputation, for being really seedy and slimy.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts
[QUOTE="soulless4now"]

Toph_Girl250
Let's both take a vacation there someday and go date hunting. :P

I don't want a French man. I want an English one. :oops:
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

There are plenty of stories of Parisians acting rudely and of them acting kindly, like in any big city it depends on whom you run into. I've got plenty of stories of people acting both ways towards me in Chicago. Besides, how do you think people in American cities would start reacting if someone came up to them and only spoke French? How many times do you hear Americans criticizing people for not learning English? When people come to the U.S. there's an expectation that they speak passable English, the French have the same expectations. I think with Paris especially there are a lot of tourists who pick up a phrasebook and try to scrape by with next to zero knowledge of the language, to the French that seems very arrogant.

m0zart

I don't think I've EVER been rude to someone who comes to the US and doesn't speak passable English, so I am not sure you are correct about that one. I have actually ran into folks more often than not who could not speak passable English, and I was as helpful as I could be. In fact, I think most Americans WOULD be that helpful, unless they are the thuggish kind.

We might laugh about it later. But I haven't seen Americans bullying or insulting folks to their faces, or sending them to the gutters when asking for help, for not being perfect English speakers.

Now I admit that was one anecdote, but I've certainly heard a lot more than just one anecdote. I've also had tacit admission from many Parisians and French living outside of Paris that this is in fact a problem. Almost half of a team I recently worked with were French from our office in Paris and they readily admitted the issue would exist, even warning me about it before when I was scheduled on a trip (which was ultimately cancelled). My boss of five years was Parisian, and talked about the situation readily with me and others. Belgians in our Belgian office even spoke about it. So I seriously doubt they wouldn't find it in good taste when it's on their lips as often as it is on just about anyone else's.

The bottom-line for me is that if someone came to me and said "I am about to travel to Paris, and I was wondering if my lack of French skills would be an issue", I woudl have to say "To the best of my knowledge, based on what I've heard about the situation, the answer is yes and you should probably be prepared for it." I feel like that would be an honest answer -- it certainly is the honest answer I've been given by those who haven't just heard but know. So I gave that honest answer here, and I stand by it, even if it offends the life out of a few folks. It doesn't mean that everyone will do it to them in Paris, but it's enough of a problem that they will probably experience it.

Now, if you've experienced that issue in America because of whatever accent or language issues you claim to have, feel free to give that same adivce to people who are planning to visit the US. I won't be offended in the least.

Anecdotal, again, I see a pattern developing.  Just because you might not act rudely towards someone who can't speak English doesn't mean other people wouldn't be.  Besides, most tourists who come to America speak passable English.  It's a pretty common courtesy to at least know a little of the language of the country you're visiting or travel with someone who does.  I think the problem a lot of French have is that everyone they know who travels to the U.S. knows English, but it seems like every American they see in France is, like I said, reading out of a phrasebook and they find that disrespectful.

Uh, yeah, and I've also heard from plenty of Parisians who say this isn't a problem, that if you run into some bad eggs it might happen but there are plenty of people who are fine about it.  You see how anecdotes work?

In my experience, when I ask a judgemental ass for advice I expect the sort of advice that judgemental asses usually give.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 theone86

[QUOTE="m0zart"]I don't think I've EVER been rude to someone who comes to the US and doesn't speak passable English, so I am not sure you are correct about that one. I have actually ran into folks more often than not who could not speak passable English, and I was as helpful as I could be. In fact, I think most Americans WOULD be that helpful, unless they are the thuggish kind.Toph_Girl250
Yeah I think normally the average person (myself included) walking down some city street and has someone come up to them, and speaks Spanish or French or whatever, their first reaction would be "What? What's this person saying?" Some might instantly say they can't help them, but others I think would be trying to figure out ways to help them, like show them where the nearest bathroom is or show them city streets or something. I find it hard to believe that here in America the normal thing a person would do, would be to just automatically insult someone speaking a different language, unless maybe this happened in a city known to have a real bad reputation, for being really seedy and slimy.

Maybe you haven't seen enough of America.  I've certainly seen it happen before, and that's not even counting the way some people treat immigrants who prefer to speak in their native language.

Besides, like I said, most tourists from other countries try to learn English when they come to the U.S., they don't just pick up a phrasebook at the airport.  Part of that may be that Americans on average learn fewer languages, but that's part of their issue as well.  All across Europe people learn three, four, sometimes more languages to try and better understand the world (and to be able to better communicate when they travel), and plenty of Americans can't even be bothered to learn a second language, sometimes they get offended at the suggestion that it should be a requirement in school.  I'm not saying they should speak down to tourists (and like I said, the vast majority of Parisians won't), but I can see how they can view Americans as being arrogant.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 TheFlush

[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"] Berlin's a nice town but it's not a global city like London or New York.black_chamber99

And tokyo is still cooler than new york. so?
Berlin has a better club scene than New York by the way. 

black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 black_chamber99

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"][QUOTE="TheFlush"]

TheFlush

have you been to new york?
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"][QUOTE="TheFlush"]

TheFlush

LA has the best club scene
black_chamber99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 black_chamber99
[QUOTE="TheFlush"]

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"] but new york is still way coolerheeweesRus

dont LA clubs close at like 2?
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Lipscomb"]

[QUOTE="black_chamber99"] only creepy white guys who lust after asian girls are obsessed with japanlightleggy

Can you blame them? Those asian girl put out like 5 times easier, with hardly any emotional attachment.. That's been my experience anyways. You can be ugly as hell, and get easily laid by an extremely attractive Asian woman. Though, you need to be in the actual country.. as the Americanized ones aren't like that.

Kind of a stretch to say only asians do that...most women have a thing for foreigners in their countries.

white, not foreigners. good luck if you are a brown or black guy in east asian countries.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
[QUOTE="heeweesRus"][QUOTE="TheFlush"]

black_chamber99

dont LA clubs close at like 2?

rofl, would hope not. never been Barcelona has a great club scene.