Why are Americans culture-less?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 TheDarthvader
Member since 2002 • 7916 Posts

I'm not sure if thats the right word for it. But here's a couple of things happening ONLY in America/North America at the moment.

1- Kids shooting because of bad influence from games like GTA. Believe it or not, only American kids or atleast 90% of the kids who are so utterly stupid are American.

2-Old people live in "homes". Seriously, they are your grand parents/parents! Why the bloody hell are they living in a place like that? Is there no such thing as family and 'living together'. Infact, the idea of a family is utterly alien to Americans. Kids leave home after 18 never to see their parents again. No concept of extended family, like moms sister, dad's brother. It might exist, but only in a monority and please dont deny that!

3- Teenage pregnancy. America is the home of spoilt pregnant teenagers. Again, something orignal to America only or mostly to Americans anyway.

4- Divorce. I'd say there are more divorces there than marriage. And dont even get me started on how many people get divorced within 1 year of marriage and how many die still married. A ratio of 1000:1

5-Insane celebrities. Ok fine this is shared by America and partly England and some other countries too but that doesnt take away the fact that Brittney and Paris are both Americans. Nuff said!

6- Attention deficit disorder. A disorder found only in american infants/kids.

7- Sluts/Hookers/Prostitutes. Combine them and you got more than the entire population of a small country.

8- Celebrating useless days. Halloween and Valentines top of the list!

9- Mis-guided and deluded kids. Belief in santa/tooth fairy and ghosts of halloween.

I'm not starting a war but merely pointing out what i think, and tell me why you would disagree? Asian countries with one quarter of the literacy rate of that of America dont have any of the mentioned problems, not atleast in that magnitude.

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dracargen
Member since 2007 • 7928 Posts
Why do only non-Americans buy into stupid stereotypes about Americans?
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 worthyofnote
Member since 2007 • 21896 Posts
Where are the stats and sources to back up your argument? You have points with no valid evidence to support your claim.
Lorindol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lorindol
Member since 2004 • 2589 Posts
A lot of the reasons are just purely based on financial gains of individuals.......others are people looking for a lame excuse for something that they did but they don't want to get into the trouble that comes with the actions.....
Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts
Those things happen in a lot of countries.
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheDarthvader

Where are the stats and sources to back up your argument? You have points with no valid evidence to support your claim.worthyofnote

I dont have any stats. All what i said is what i've read in the news, saw when i lived in america and from friends who've been there etc etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-5fc39ee132cf4
Member since 2006 • 2465 Posts
You just dont hear about the things that go on in asian countries.
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 worthyofnote

I'm not sure if thats the right word for it. But here's a couple of things happening ONLY in America/North America at the moment.

1- Kids shooting because of bad influence from games like GTA. Believe it or not, only American kids or atleast 90% of the kids who are so utterly stupid are American.

2-Old people live in "homes". Seriously, they are your grand parents/parents! Why the bloody hell are they living in a place like that? Is there no such thing as family and 'living together'. Infact, the idea of a family is utterly alien to Americans. Kids leave home after 18 never to see their parents again. No concept of extended family, like moms sister, dad's brother. It might exist, but only in a monority and please dont deny that!

3- Teenage pregnancy. America is the home of spoilt pregnant teenagers. Again, something orignal to America only or mostly to Americans anyway.

4- Divorce. I'd say there are more divorces there than marriage. And dont even get me started on how many people get divorced within 1 year of marriage and how many die still married. A ratio of 1000:1

5-Insane celebrities. Ok fine this is shared by America and partly England and some other countries too but that doesnt take away the fact that Brittney and Paris are both Americans. Nuff said!

7- Sluts/Hookers/Prostitutes. Combine them and you got more than the entire population of a small country.

9- Mis-guided and deluded kids. Belief in santa/tooth fairy and ghosts of halloween.

I'm not starting a war but merely pointing out what i think, and tell me why you would disagree? Asian countries with one quarter of the literacy rate of that of America dont have any of the mentioned problems, not atleast in that magnitude.

TheDarthvader

My responses:

1.Kids in general are stupid. It's adolescent behavior and it doesn't pertain directly to geographical location.

2. Nursing homes are alot cheaper than paying for actual in-home care or for hospital bills that rack up. Sadly though, some people do get treated poorly when in nursing homes and some families abandon eachother.

3. Teenage pregnancy happens throughout the world everywhere. It doesn't just happen to young Americans.

4.Divorce rates I can understand. But let's see some sources.

5. Celebrities exist throughout the world. People are insane due to egos or because of the pressure and spotlight always upon them.

6. How is ADD only found in Americans? Proof please.

7. Sexual promiscuity exists everywhere throughout the world.

8. Some people may not find those days useless. It's a part of American culture, and others cultures that have been adopted by Americans.

9. It's fun to make believe or pretend. Are actors misguided or deluded because they pretend or play certain roles for the entertainment of others? It's just being a child and being naive. It's called using the imagination.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
whats wrong with halloween, santa, or the toothfairy?
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
For the same reason all japanese people are hackers and DDR masters, and all canadians are beer chugging hockey players, and all germans are leiderhosen wearing bratwurst eating polka dancing Nazi's. Stereotypes ftl.
CIoud_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CIoud_S
Member since 2007 • 3216 Posts
Wow, this could be one of the worst threads ever. Congrats!
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheDarthvader

whats wrong with halloween, santa, or the toothfairy?FrostyPhantasm

Nothing, except that they dont exist.

joeytentz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 joeytentz
Member since 2008 • 754 Posts

Why not complain about Kenya instead?

They're butchering each other with machettes right now.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Asian countries with one quarter of the literacy rate of that of America dont have any of the mentioned problems, not atleast in that magnitude.TheDarthvader

Plenty of Asian countries have higher teenage pregnancy rates then the U.S.: India, Pakistan, Mongolia, Cambodia, Nepal, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Indonesia, Bangladesh, etc.

Link

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts

TheDarthvader

1 - Video games don't contribute to real life violence (this is a completely different topic and way to big to start here)

2- I have a mom and dad and a sister, no divorce, my grandparents don't live in "homes". I see my extended family weekly.

3- Most American teenagers are spoiled

4- I know way more people who are still married than who have ever been divorced, not that it isn't a problem

5- I hate celebrities. I make it a point not to pay attention to actors, singers, etc, personal lives

6- I find that hard to believe, give me a source or it isn't true

7- Prostotution is the oldest job in the history of man, don't blame it on the US

8- You don't like to have fun?

9- You are out of your mind

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 worthyofnote

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]whats wrong with halloween, santa, or the toothfairy?TheDarthvader

Says you, but in the minds of those children with vast imaginations, they surely do.
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]whats wrong with halloween, santa, or the toothfairy?TheDarthvader

October 31st doesn't exist!!!:o *burns calender*

dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts

The gun thing is not because of teens but because of American gun culture in general, which is abhorant. The divorce thing is because of the prevalence of Protestants, everything else you say is based on ignorance.

Avatar image for Mythbuster4ever
Mythbuster4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mythbuster4ever
Member since 2007 • 2846 Posts
On #2, My grandmom lived with us for a year, but it got to the point where her alzheirmers was too much, considering she just walked out of the house one day.
CIoud_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CIoud_S

If you could just tell me the country of origin of all those evil mythical beings/days I'd be much obliged :|
Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dracargen

The gun thing is not because of teens but because of American gun culture in general, which is abhorant. The divorce thing is because of the prevalence of Protestants, everything else you say is based on ignorance.

dsmccracken

Uh, what?

TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheDarthvader

"It is estimated that between 3 and 5 percent of children have ADHD, or approximately 2 million children in the United States"

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/adhd/complete-publication.shtml

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
Wow :|
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts

I'd like to post a quote by Billy Joel in favour of the yanks:

"We didn't start the fire, it has always been burning since the world's been turning"

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I thought this was going to be a thread about the relatively young age of America compared to other countries and the bizarre sort of melting pot of cultural ambiguity that has resulted. You know, the grey misshapen blob of 'meh' that is American culture.

Everything you've listed there can be found in other countries as well (some, like prostitution are far more prevalent in other countries). I'm not a fan of the US, but at least they don't have the disease rates, the genocide, the cultural retardation of many other nations. The only reason we hear more about stuff in the states is that their network of media is far more active (I was going to say advanced, but that's not really accurate if we're talking about bias).

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts

"It is estimated that between 3 and 5 percent of children have ADHD, or approximately 2 million children in the United States"

TheDarthvader
by reading that, you think it is saying only children in the US have ADHD? :lol: wow once again. everyone just point and laugh
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 worthyofnote
[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

zero9167

by reading that, you think it is saying only children in the US have ADHD? :lol: wow once again. everyone just point and laugh

*face palm

That's horrible.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 blackngold29
[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

zero9167

Your response prove American kids are smarter than you!
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 worthyofnote

I thought this was going to be a thread about the relatively young age of America compared to other countries and the bizarre sort of melting pot of cultural ambiguity that has resulted. You know, the grey misshapen blob of 'meh' that is American culture.

Everything you've listed there can be found in other countries as well (some, like prostitution are far more prevalent in other countries). I'm not a fan of the US, but at least they don't have the disease rates, the genocide, the cultural retardation of many other nations. The only reason we hear more about stuff in the states is that their network of media is far more active (I was going to say advanced, but that's not really accurate if we're talking about bias).

DJ_Lae
I agree. I thought the topic was actually going to be as you described it, or something similar to it.
dsmccracken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dsmccracken
Member since 2003 • 7307 Posts
[QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

Dracargen

Uh, what?

I'm not sure about all world religions, but I'm pretty sure that Muslims and Catholics can't get divorced, but protestant Christians can, ipso facto high divorce rates.

TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TheDarthvader
Look, i'm not saying all these problem dont exist else where, i'm saying compared to America, they're minute.
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheDarthvader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_pregnancy

Only 5 countries have more teenage pregnancy rate than America.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 blackngold29
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

dsmccracken

Uh, what?

I'm not sure about all world religions, but I'm pretty sure that Muslims and Catholics can't get divorced, but protestant Christians can, ipso facto high divorce rates.

Catholics can't get divorced, but they do all the time.
ExodusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 ExodusV2
Member since 2008 • 440 Posts

Americans are cultureless because this country has every culture. There are more immigrants in the U.S. than there are Americans, and thats just what the country is based on, immigration.

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackngold29

TheDarthvader
Only FIVE, yeah America is way worse than everybody else
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 worthyofnote

Look, i'm not saying all these problem dont exist else where, i'm saying compared to America, they're minute.TheDarthvader
And how exactly would you know that? You base everything off of simple observation and assumptions. If you were going by actually facts and posting actually sources then maybe, just maybe it'd be more persuasive. But it isn't.

Btw, please don't assume. You make an ass out of you and me.

CIoud_S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CIoud_S

Look, i'm not saying all these problem dont exist else where, i'm saying compared to America, they're minute.TheDarthvader

You're not? :?

I'm not sure if thats the right word for it. But here's a couple of things happening ONLY in America/North America at the moment.TheDarthvader

:| The ownage in this thread is approaching epic scale.

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worthyofnote

TheDarthvader
If that's the case, then America is not number one in teen preganancy rates.
worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worthyofnote

[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]Look, i'm not saying all these problem dont exist else where, i'm saying compared to America, they're minute.CIoud_S

I'm not sure if thats the right word for it. But here's a couple of things happening ONLY in America/North America at the moment.TheDarthvader

I'd say so.
AlmostUndead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AlmostUndead
Member since 2006 • 1673 Posts
How I can say America is kinda messed up those points aren't valid enough.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

TheDarthvader

Only 5 countries? :? Pretty much the entire continent of Africa has higher teenage pregnancy rates.

The table you are referencing lists a grand total of 12 countries. I can assure you that there are more than 12 countries out there.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts

TheDarthvader

About half of those apply to at least one other country. The other half is utter BS pulled out of your ass.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blackngold29
[QUOTE="CIoud_S"]

[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]Look, i'm not saying all these problem dont exist else where, i'm saying compared to America, they're minute.worthyofnote

I'd say so.

I third.
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheDarthvader
[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

Oleg_Huzwog

Only 5 countries? :? Pretty much the entire continent of Africa has higher teenage pregnancy rates.

The table you are referencing lists a grand total of 12 countries. I can assure you that there are more than 12 countries out there.

Yes but Africa is a continent living pretty much in the stone age, no? America with its super power and all is basically nothing better than Africa?

blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blackngold29
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

TheDarthvader

Yes but Africa is a continent living pretty much in the stone age, no? America with its super power and all is basically nothing better than Africa?

So we're in a contest now?
TheDarthvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheDarthvader

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-by-highest-divorce-rate.html

America has the 3rd highest divorce rate in the world. Dont tell me i'm pulling this off my ass as there are fact proving it

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
[QUOTE="TheDarthvader"][QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

blackngold29

So we're in a contest now?

Well, you guys act as if you're in one...

Dracargen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dracargen
[QUOTE="Dracargen"][QUOTE="dsmccracken"]

dsmccracken

Uh, what?

The Bible forbids divorce. . .

worthyofnote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 worthyofnote
[QUOTE="Oleg_Huzwog"][QUOTE="TheDarthvader"]

TheDarthvader

America is but one country. Africa is a continent riddled with many countries, and not to mention many problems. I, however, wouldn't go as far as saying they are living in the "stone age." The people are just casualties to poor circumstances. I hope your proud on the fact that you just insulted Africa.

And America, the colonial cousin of the English Empire, started out as nothing. They became a super power because of desire and individual personal gain that contributed to the entire growth of the nation. They did not face such problems that the people in Darfur are currently facing, therefore, they were and still are able to advance. Like I said, casualties of circumstance.