Who would win in a hypothetical war between Russia and the EU?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Let's assume that there will be no nuclear weapons involved in this conflict for reasons I am to lazy to come up with. Tensions between the two entities have caused both of them to declare war upon eachother. The US has decided to sit back and watch what happens (and maybe if the EU is close to victory join the fight at the last moment and claim they won all by themselves(jk)). China doesn't get involved in the war either, but does still trade with both of them. The EU has formed a counsel of high ranking military personnel from all the EU countries to make the decisions, and Putin and the russian generals will make the decisions for Russia.

Who would win in this war?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I'd guess the EU. Russia's military strength is predicated almost entirely on nukes.

americanphile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 americanphile
Member since 2013 • 26 Posts
NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfull
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deeliman
NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfullamericanphile
NATO=/= EU
americanphile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 americanphile
[QUOTE="americanphile"]NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfulldeeliman
NATO=/= EU

NATO states in europe then?
BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts
[QUOTE="americanphile"]NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfulldeeliman
NATO=/= EU

Honestly, Im not sure if the EU could pull it off without America
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Mother Russia!

americanphile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 americanphile
[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="americanphile"]NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfullBossPerson
NATO=/= EU

please russia army is overated can¨t even win over jihadist warriors.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deeliman
[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="americanphile"]NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfullBossPerson
NATO=/= EU

Please state the reasons why you think the EU is unable to do so without America.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Russia no contest. EU's foreign policy and security instruments and cooperation are dysfunctional, out of harmony and are just all over the place. EU countries would not be able to coordinate their military operations and strategies, they'd be too busy bickering with each other. Beside that, EU does not have the balls for actual war, its all about soft power and proxy war.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deeliman

UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes. Ninja-Hippo

Do I need to remind you of ww1?

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deeliman

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="americanphile"]NATO by a long shot. it's much more powerfullamericanphile
NATO=/= EU

NATO states in europe then?

Let's just stick to calling them EU.

lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

The EU would win. The Eastern European countries of the former Soviet Union were the real threat to the West during the Cold War, and more than a few of those countries are in the EU.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GazaAli

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes. deeliman

Regardless, the UK will probably walk out on the EU like it always does :P
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deeliman
[QUOTE="deeliman"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes. GazaAli

UK is in the EU, which means that if Russia declares war on 1 EU country, they declare war on all of them, including UK.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninja-Hippo

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes. deeliman

Pretty much the same deal; the Germans were stopped in France by French and British troops. Almost as many British as French died in the defense of France and it wasn't even their country.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deeliman
[QUOTE="deeliman"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Hippo"]UK's military spending is pretty redonkulous, plus it's an island nation which is incredibly difficult to invade, with an elite branch of special forces. I'd guess it'd go down like every European war since napolean; they'd kick ass right across the continent, get stopped at Britain and gradually go down hill from there. The no nukes thing is what makes it decisive; Russia's military is big but old as ****. Their power is in numbers and nukes. Ninja-Hippo

Pretty much the same deal; the Germans were stopped in France by French and British troops. Almost as many British as French died in the defense of France and it wasn't even their country.

You were talking about Russia kicking ass across Europe right? Otherwise I misunderstood you.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="deeliman"] You were talking about Russia kicking ass across Europe right? Otherwise I misunderstood you.

No I was talking about wars in Europe raging across the continent and then getting stopped at Britain due to it being an island.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GazaAli
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"]

deeliman

UK is in the EU, which means that if Russia declares war on 1 EU country, they declare war on all of them, including UK.

They will still find a way to give the EU the finger my friend no worries. Also which treaty obligates all EU countries to go to war for a member state?
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deeliman
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Regardless, the UK will probably walk out on the EU like it always does :P

They will still find a way to give the EU the finger my friend no worries. Also which treaty obligates all EU countries to go to war for a member state?

And why do you think GB won't want to help their allies? And I'm not sure what the treaty is called.
americanphile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 americanphile
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] Regardless, the UK will probably walk out on the EU like it always does :P

NATO?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli
[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"] UK is in the EU, which means that if Russia declares war on 1 EU country, they declare war on all of them, including UK.

And why do you think GB won't want to help their allies? And I'm not sure what the treaty is called.

UK does not have a particularly good history in terms of its European identity. This is pretty well-known really. It always liked to cherry-pick what treaties to join and what others to opt out from. It has always been the most notorious euroskeptic, constantly undermining Brussels. When shit hits the fan its no where to be seen.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deeliman
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] They will still find a way to give the EU the finger my friend no worries. Also which treaty obligates all EU countries to go to war for a member state?

UK does not have a particularly good history in terms of its European identity. This is pretty well-known really. It always liked to cherry-pick what treaties to join and what others to opt out from. It has always been the most notorious euroskeptic, constantly undermining Brussels. When shit hits the fan its no where to be seen.

But if Russia declares war on all EU countries it wouldn't be wise to abandon your allies, and in term, make yourself weaker.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GazaAli
[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"] And why do you think GB won't want to help their allies? And I'm not sure what the treaty is called.

But if Russia declares war on all EU countries it wouldn't be wise to abandon your allies, and in term, make yourself weaker.

UK does not care that much about an ally, aside from the U.S that is.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ninja-Hippo
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="GazaAli"] They will still find a way to give the EU the finger my friend no worries. Also which treaty obligates all EU countries to go to war for a member state?

When shit hits the fan its no where to be seen.

Lol 2 world wars 2 million deaths fighting to save countries which weren't even theirs. Please be quiet.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

As of right now the vast majority of the Russian conventional military is decommissioned and sitting in warehouses. Russia also used to rely heavily on PACT nations for conventional forces. Also before 1991 the Soviet union included much more area and people than it does today. 

Russia is a shell of its former self. That's what happens when a nation bankrupts itself on military spending. It was even worse that they had a very inflexible economy. This is, of course, a really broad statement. It was much more complicated than that. Please don't bite my head off.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deeliman

As of right now the vast majority of the Russian conventional military is decommissioned and sitting in warehouses. Russia also used to rely heavily on PACT nations for conventional forces. Also before 1991 the Soviet union included much more area and people than it does today. 

Russia is a shell of its former self. That's what happens when a nation bankrupts itself on military spending. It was even worse that they had a very inflexible economy. This is, of course, a really broad statement. It was much more complicated than that. Please don't bite my head off.

Wasdie
*Bites Wasie's head off*
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deeliman

I guess it's time for me now to share my views on the topic. What everyone has missed so far is the economies and the industrial base of both countries. Right now the EU economy dwarfs the russian one, and the EU has a massive industrial base, and Russia does not. These are the reason why I think the EU will outrpoduce them in quality and quantity.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Russia. The EU lacks cohesion and would be too busy arguing among themselves to offer any kind organized resistance. No nation would want to send it's army to the front line to get pumbled while the other nations get to sit back. By the time they got their act together Russia would have steam rolled across a large part of Europe (whether or not they have to resorces to actually take and hold the entire continent is beyond me).

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

GazaAli is an official internet armchair warrior.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Which one has the power of Jesus?

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

lostrib

USA duh

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Any nations in the EU have mandatory conscription? If not, I'll go with Russia

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deeliman

lostrib
The EU has the power of ra if that counts.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deeliman

Any nations in the EU have mandatory conscription? If not, I'll go with Russia

Jimn_tonic
No not right now, but that doesn't matter because every country has that during wartime.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

I really dont think either side would have the logistics or even the manpower and equipment to support a war on that scale. Only the US has that type of power projection. For now, anyway.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Wasdie

The other problem Russia has had was that in the process of changing over to capitalism, they followed the neo-liberal agenda and privatized everthing, selling off many of their industries and state assets for a fraction of the true value.  All these people became oligarchs, insanely wealthy, and a lot of them took their money out of Russia and went to live in London.

There's a saying in Russia that goes something like this: "everything we were promised about Communism was a lie, but everything they warned us about Capitalism was true!".

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

The EU, from my understanding, has a better-funded, more modern military, a navy that has a small handful of aircraft carriers, an island nation that would prove quite difficult (well, probably impossible) for Russia to invade, etc. Russia has a ton of antiquated cold war-era hardware, and even then, not as much as it once did.

Russia has enough nukes to mop the continent with radiation, but that's about it, and I think the U.K. and France also have nukes, so the best they could do is make everyone lose, but I don't think that the Soviets could win. In a conventional war (i.e.- no nukes), the Russians get their asses handed to them even without the EU receiving American help. If the Americans jump in, then it's a lollercoaster.

AllanLane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AllanLane
Putin could defeat the entire EU single handedly if he wanted to but he simply has better things to do. In all seriousness though lets face it Europe is a shell of what it used to be. The Germans aren't allowed a real military and the only mainland European nation with a considerable one is France. I wouldn't bet on France winning a war these days and I couldn't see Spain and Italy wanting to commit forces beyond their very good natural defences or Britain much in the way of land forces. So Germany, France, Eastern European nations get invaded with Britain, Italy and Spain signing a peace treaty to cede those territories after a stalemate in fighting. It would be much like the map at the end of WW2 only Russia gains France and all of Germany instead of just the east.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

The E.U.'s military budget is over triple what the Russian's is.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Arms manufacturers.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

Arms manufacturers.Ace6301

good answer.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

which side would be the invading force, Russia or the EU? I think the defending force usually has a bit of an advantage, unless they are grossly outmatched or are taken by surprise.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#46 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

Wasdie

Yeah but I think Spetsnaz are still some pretty tough guys and probably well-equiped. Though EU would have the French Foreign Legion and Britain's Special Forces.

Does Russia have good cyberwarfare capabilities or just a lot of computer criminals (doesn't it seem like a lot of computer viruses originate in Russia and eastern Europe?).

AllanLane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AllanLane

which side would be the invading force, Russia or the EU? I think the defending force usually has a bit of an advantage, unless they are grossly outmatched or are taken by surprise.

whipassmt
Not in this case as Russia would have their best chance if they attacked first as things stand today. If the EU had the intention of invading Russia and time to gear up for that purpose their chances would increase considerably. However I can't really see a scenario where the modern generation of EU people would want to do that or be more capable of the task than previous much tougher and dedicated generations who have attempted the invasion in question. As things stand the US is currently better geared for fighting a large scale land war in Europe than any of the major European powers. The link below gives a general overview of conventional military strengths. http://www.globalfirepower.com/
Amvis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Amvis
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts

Russia would almost certainly lose. Russia has almost always had to rely on buffer states to survive any great war. That's the reason for the Iron Curtain. But they don't have that anymore. The EU would be forced to massively cut their welfare programs and remilitarize, but they have shown themselves very much capable of doing that during the Cold War. Example? 1980's Sweden. Small as hell military, but swelled to over 1 million during the 1980's to curb Soviet aggression. I highly doubt that after 200 years of forgetting to prepare for a Russian winter that the Europeans would forget the third time. It's as they say, "the third time's the charm."

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts
Russia is pretty damn powerful and has a well-known history of winning impossible wars, but the EU is comprised of several nations and has more global alliances for backup. I think it would be devastating, but I think the EU would win in the end.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Total war? Russia. They wouldn't gain much from it, though, as they'd just leave EU as a nuclear wasteland.