Which is more entertaining movie Jurassic World or Godzilla?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Jurassic World> Godzilla 2014 ... imo.

well? :)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

Godzilla 2014 wasn't very good. Great special effects, but that's about it.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I haven't seen Jurassic World yet although I have the previous three JP movies in a Blu Ray set. I found the Americanized Godzilla boring. I actually liked the original cheesy b&w Japanese versions better.....probably because I liked seeing military hardware blowing up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I didn't really like 2014's Godzilla...I know a lot of people will hate me for it but I enjoyed the 1998 version a lot more.

And you already know my opinion about JW. So does this mean you have already watched it? =D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 indzman

@korvus said:

I didn't really like 2014's Godzilla...I know a lot of people will hate me for it but I enjoyed the 1998 version a lot more.

And you already know my opinion about JW. So does this mean you have already watched it? =D

Yup, saw it yesterday . Entertaining, nostalgic and my man won me over 'again' , you know whom i'm speaking of :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: Chris "Dreamy" Pratt? XD

Glad you liked it. Still no news on the health front?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: Chris "Dreamy" Pratt? XD

Glad you liked it. Still no news on the health front?

mhm

Tests are out, nothing major it seems... imo. nothing found on USG, blood tests most within range except liver test a bit high and mucus found on stool. But bit of pain still lingering and yet to show reports to the doc. Hope i survive :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@indzman: Told you it was just an awesomeness overload =D

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By indzman

@korvus said:

@indzman: Told you it was just an awesomeness overload =D

scared as fcvk now lol.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Jurassic World was an incredibly fun film with an outstanding cast and superb special effects. It is definitely better then Godzilla.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Godzilla was everything wrong with modern monster movies. Too much focus on special effects and not enough on framing, suspense and character development.

Jurassic World nailed all those three things incredibly well. In fact, I thought the movie was good enough to almost rival the original (blasphemy I know). It definitely didn't have that magical "wow" factor the original had, but they captured almost everything the original did right and recreated it with tons of clever nods to it. I especially loved the part where there visited the original park and B.D. Wong's reprisal of his character.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jun_aka_pekto said:

I haven't seen Jurassic World yet although I have the previous three JP movies in a Blu Ray set. I found the Americanized Godzilla boring. I actually liked the original cheesy b&w Japanese versions better.....probably because I liked seeing military hardware blowing up.

Some of the later movies (still men in rubber suits) have pretty great effects imo.

The thing with that and stop motion, while mechanically they do not match CGI, they still look like something you can touch that is actually there. Very rarely (Gollum for example) do I see CGI that actually feels like something real.

Godzillda Vs Destroyah is my fav, the ending is epic. The design for Godzilla in this is great as well.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Godzilla was everything wrong with modern monster movies. Too much focus on special effects and not enough on framing, suspense and character development.

Jurassic World nailed all those three things incredibly well. In fact, I thought the movie was good enough to almost rival the original (blasphemy I know). It definitely didn't have that magical "wow" factor the original had, but they captured almost everything the original did right and recreated it with tons of clever nods to it. I especially loved the part where there visited the original park and B.D. Wong's reprisal of his character.

I thought people only watch the godzilla movies for godzilla and kaiju's? People even complain that wasn't enough godzilla in last year's movie.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Godzilla 2014 was lame. I doubt it would make my top 15 Godzilla films. Too much terribly boring human drama, and only a few minutes of decent Godzilla fights.

Jurassic World was also lame. One-dimensional characters reliving the best scenes from the first three films, minus the wonder, plus a lot of bad cgi. Still, it delivered exactly what I expected, so I suppose it was the better film.

ps3hdalltime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By ps3hdalltime
Member since 2012 • 427 Posts

right now no time, hence Yet to see jurrasic:world but godzilla was very very nice

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Godzilla shouldn't even be used for a comparison.. It was a shitty movie on so many levels and it's bait and switch campaign with Cranston was unbelievable... After seeing the previews I was expecting something like the original Godzilla.. What we got is a shitty action movie with a gi joe mannequin running into monsters all movie long. Along with some pretentious patriotism bullshit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@uninspiredcup: Squeaky rubber Godzilla, plus Power Rangers camera angles, plus plastic toy tanks, plus expressionless acting plus god-awful dub = insta win!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@korvus said:

@uninspiredcup: Squeaky rubber Godzilla, plus Power Rangers camera angles, plus plastic toy tanks, plus expressionless acting plus god-awful dub = insta win!

Funny thing is, I had more of an emotional response for that man in a rubber monster suit than I did for Araron Taylor doing whatever he was doing. I honestly can't remember what he was doing in the movie, it's that fucking bland.

Something about a bomb in a train, or something? Fuzzy.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@uninspiredcup: Yep, nothing comes to mind for me either =)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I haven't seen Jurassic park but it has to be better then godzilla at least in terms of keeping me interested. Was so pissed that movie turned into a fucking Marine love story bullshit. Movie had nothing to do with godzilla besides the fact he's in it causing all sorts of damage off screen to give shit for the main character marine asshole fuckface to do.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup

That's the other thing that sucked as well actually, they didn't use the Godzilla theme. .

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

Jurassic was more family oriented, Godzilla was more adult action type. Both were good, but different styles.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

I feel like I didn't watch the same movie. Jurassic World is an above average summer blockbuster that is slightly less stupid than San Andreas. I enjoyed 2014 Godzilla way more than watching Ron Howard's daughter outrun a T-Rex in high heels.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@silkylove: I agree. I also feel like you didn't watch the same movies XD

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 silkylove

@korvus:

Here's my issues:

I liked Jurassic World, but it did have problems. I will avoid spoilers. Besides the whole outrunning a T-Rex in high heels thing, Claire taking a moment to cry over a dead brontosaur when her nephews are being hunted by Frankensaur was stupid. Feeding a Mosasaurus a great white shark was stupid since great whites are on the vulnerable species list, but I'll give Spielberg that one since it was probably a Jaws easter egg. Her nephews taking the gyrosphere through a breach in the wall that clearly was made by something very large and very pissed off was stupid, especially after everyone was told to evacuate the ride. And giving park goers full control of the gyrosphere in the first place is stupid, seeing as some drunk asshole will think that his park entry fee gives him the right to start ramming dinosaurs. Going after Frankensaur with tasers was beyond stupid. So was launching an airstrike with a pilot who hasn't gotten his pilot's license yet. And taking her nephews on a mission to kill the Frankensaur. Although they might've been needed since they can somehow fix 20-year-old jeeps that have sat idle in a tropical environment and drive stick when they don't even have a driver's license yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@silkylove: I agree with a lot of your criticism; I complained about some of those things on the thread I made about JW, although some things do have some justification.

The T-Rex takes quite a while to reach full speed and I've seen women in heels running past me to get to a bus...it's dangerous but it's possible.

No excuse for the mourning brachio scene except that Owen cares deeply about the dinos and probably forgot about the kids and Claire only remembered her nephews existed about an hour after shit hit the fan, so apparently she forgot again. I think they could have come up with a better way to show that she cared after all.

The shark scene was probably, as you said, a nod, just like 20 other things in the movie.

Taking the gyro through the breach seems like the thing to do when you're a stupid teenager...and he didn't know they were in any danger, they announced the attractions were closed, not that they were being evacuated, hence the "it's fine, we're VIP" Don't think he meant they wouldn't get eaten because they had passes. Besides, they all knew Jurassic Park happened, so he probably thought the damage was from the old park's time (the area they went in was actually not open to the new park so he wasn't completely off)

Still on the gryo, I would even go farther than you and say that the gyro was a really bad idea anyway...that thing would not be safe...even if the dinos couldn't damage it they surely could send it down a cliff...don't see it being able to resist a bronto stepping on it by accident.

The tasers was another bad idea but it goes with the theme of the series, which is that for some people money is more important that other people's lives. Not to mention they were counting on their device to shock the Indominus into a coma like it did the pachycephalosaurus in the beginning of the movie.

They explained the pilot bit...there were only 2 people nearby at that time who could fly the heli, Masrani and his instructor and they couldn't find the instructor. The girl said that they were going to call for a pilot but Masrani said they didn't need anyone else so he got in the heli and being the boss, nobody stopped him.

Also, they didn't take the kids on a mission to kill the Indominus; they fled the pteranodons at the park center and got word that InGen was about to release the raptors so Owen drove to the raptors cage (with Claire and the kids) and left them there. It's when the raptors returned to the cage that they had to drive away to where she thought was a safe place and were cornered by the raptors and the Indominus. (More pressing for me is how on Earth did they get involved with InGen again after the second movie and why they lowered the defenses after the first park's incident...have they learned nothing?)

The kids learned from their grandfather how to fix engines and the younger (autistic?) kid was obcessed with everything JP related, from the amount of teeth in each dino to the original Jeeps and how they worked. And just because you fail your driving test it doesn't mean you can't shift and put your foot on the gas...there are plenty of ways you can fail a driving exam, from bad parking to running a red light...there are Americans who can drive shift =P

In any case, like I said on my review, you are either going to be drowned in nostalgia and swept away back to 1993 or you're going to be constantly thinking "why did they do that?". I was mostly in the first group, you seem to be in the second, which is perfectly valid.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By indzman

@ribstaylor1 said:

I haven't seen Jurassic park but it has to be better then godzilla at least in terms of keeping me interested. Was so pissed that movie turned into a fucking Marine love story bullshit. Movie had nothing to do with godzilla besides the fact he's in it causing all sorts of damage off screen to give shit for the main character marine asshole fuckface to do.

so true :(

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By silkylove

@korvus:

It doesn't matter if the younger brother is a Rain Man level autistic genius. Machinery exposed in a tropical environment for 20+ years just can't be fixed that easily. All the rubber on that jeep would be rotten and all the metal would be oxidized and there would be water in everything. It would need replacement parts up the wazoo. Not to mention all the batteries would be dead even with a trickle charger, which they obviously didn't have since there was no power in the entire facility. I was able to suspend disbelief for a lot of things, but not a flare welding Claire outrunning a T-Rex in heels. Ian Malcolm tried that in the first movie with a larger head start and he ended up being launched face-first into an outhouse. And he was wearing flats. Plus Malcolm's debacle taught us that if you continue to move after throwing the flare you will get owned. Clair does exactly that against the very same dinosaur and yet the T-Rex instead of following the easy prey chooses to engage the Frankensaur. Not to mention that Raptors now change loyalties faster than a high school girl. Who knew that the solution to being trumped as Alpha was to remove headgear? I like absurdity and humor in my summer movies as much as the next guy, but this one was a little too absurd for my taste.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@silkylove:

But the machinery was not exposed to a tropical environment for 20+ years. The visitor center area was (conveniently) sealed from the outside, which they tried to show you by letting you see everything damp on the outside and everything dry on the inside, which is why they showed you that ridiculous scene of setting the banner on fire to navigate the already bright room. As for battery chargers we don't really know what parts they did or didn't have access to since they didn't show the repairs being performed. For all we know there might have been a crank battery charger in there.

Malcolm still had a lot of distance between him and the T-Rex when he threw the flare...the problem was that by keep on moving he made the T-Rex choose between chasing a flare or prey and obviously the T-rex chose prey. In JW she had to choose between prey (Claire) and a threat (Indominus) so he chose the same any wild animal would have chosen, to confront the danger first and then think about dinner.

For the Raptors you can argue they have never changed loyalties since they never attacked Owen...if you remember, Delta actually stopped in her tracks when she was supposed to attack Owen and got destroyed by the rocket before Owen had the chance to reestablish himself as Alpha. Blue only ever went after Claire and the kids but when she had to get through Owen to get to the kids she, as all Betas do, challenged her Alpha like she had done in the cage, and in the cage she actually won because Owen retreated, this time Owen stood his ground and actually reached out to Blue, showing her he was not afraid, therefore cementing his role as Alpha. The only reason their loyalty was shaken was because Owen had shown fear and lessened his position in the pack, so when the Indominus took charge the raptors followed, but only until Owen took control...this is typical animal behaviour.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Did not enjoy Jurassic World, neither did I enjoy the 2014 Godzilla movie either. But out of the two I'd say Godzilla was better which is saying a lot IMO.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By silkylove

@korvus:

But the facility was not sealed. There were plants and gunk on everything in there, including a vine growing out of one of the jeeps. And there's no way in hell the batteries would be good. Average life expectancy for a battery in a hot climate is 30-41 months. This is more like 264 months. http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/static-fcac/images/cf/articles/battery-life-expectancy-zone.jpg

As far as Claire morphing into Usain Bolt. Again, she was in heels with less of a head start. She's dino treats. And any wild animal would not choose a threat over prey. A wild animal would choose to flee rather than get involved in a steel cage match with another equal sized predator and a few smaller ones, especially when it had a few goat snacks earlier that day. We see this in all top predators be they lions, great whites, or crocodiles.

The raptors most certainly changed loyalty. Owen says repeatedly that they're pack hunters. If Owen was the pack leader and they turned on Owen's party then they turned on him. Then they turned back when Owen 86'd the headgear, which makes no sense since Indominus Rex is still far more scary. And they continue to attack Indominus even after their new/old pack leader bravely runs away. No animal would do that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@silkylove: So you think that if a lion is chasing his dinner and finds another lion hunting in his grounds he's just going to say "Oh, excuse me sir, my dinner just ran past you...have a lovely day" and keep chasing the zebra? Guess we watched different wildlife shows. Sharks and crocodiles aren't good examples since they're not territorial, so they couldn't care less. The T-Rex wasn't either, but in the JP universe they are so it's just a trait we have to accept.

Animals owe loyalty and respect to their Alpha, not to their Omegas, with Claire and the kids were...you probably know that Omegas are often picked on and killed off, especially if they are newcomers...whether the Alpha accepted them or not is irrelevant until the Alpha takes a stance to protect them, which Owen did in the end. And being scary has nothing to do with it or do you think a dog will attack a bear to protect his owner because his owner is scarier than a bear?

The Visitor's Center might have been closed off when the construction of the new park began, which means the plants might have grown by then, but I agree it's far-fetched so I'll give you that one. I can understand you disliking the whole bronto mourning scene, but if you are choosing to dislike a movie about dinosaurs coming to life because a car's battery should be dead I would have to call it nitpicking. From your list, to me, that's the only one that can't be explained.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

iVE only seen Godzilla 2014 and I didn't like it.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

Godzilla didn't get enough screen time but still good enough to warrant a sequel which is good to hear but Jurassic World is where it's at.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 silkylove

@korvus:

I said the T-Rex would either kill the prey or flee. Not attack a predator as large as itself for no reason other than Claire threw a flare at it. T-Rex is territorial, but it was already well outside its territory. Unless you think the park rangers let it out of its cage and take it on walks to play "flare fetch" right by the restaurants, bars and main gate where all the human smells are. By the way, some sharks are extremely territorial. Bull sharks for instance. All crocodiles are extremely territorial. Same with lions. I guess I did watch different nature shows than you. However, the ones I've watched all told me that when a top predator is outside of its territory its first instinct is to flee, not fight.

Can't really compare raptors to dogs, especially since dogs never would've flipped loyalty in the first place. Also dogs aren't wild animals. They've been domesticated and bred for 20,000 years. Apples to oranges.

As for the rest of my complaints, I'm not the only one to have them:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/8-reasons-jurassic-world-is-the-worst-movie-of-the-summer

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/06/13/eight-scenes-from-jurassic-world-that-are-totally-unrealistic-and-we-have-no-problem-with-the-dinosaurs-mind-you/

That being said, I mentioned earlier that I did in fact enjoy the movie in spite of its silliness and thought it was an above average summer blockbuster. I just happened to enjoy Godzilla 2014 more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@silkylove: Different strokes for different folks, then. Friends? =)

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

That's not saying much. Most things are better than either American Godzilla movies.

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 silkylove

@korvus:

Works for me:)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Jurrassic World.

Heck the previous Godzilla movie with Matthew Broderick was five times more entertaining then the most recent Godzilla movie

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Godzilla 2014 wasn't very good. Great special effects, but that's about it.

this sums up Godzilla 2014

Jurassic Park World was pretty good, if your nostalgic towards the original Jurassic Park films you will really like it.

sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

I thought Jurassic world was very entertaining

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I liked both. Jurassic World was the more consistently entertaining, but had a few dumb moments. Godzilla was a slower burn, but the last act of the movie was fantastic and I thought the tone was more consistent. Overall I'd say Jurassic World, but Godzilla is still awesome (the complaint about the monsters not being in it are overblown, watch Jaws, you barely see the shark the whole movie) and I am looking forward to the sequel.