Which animations have better openings: US or Japan?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

immrgoodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 immrgoodguy
Member since 2009 • 1206 Posts

Watch and compare.

Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lrp7RO7Mtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_PKgztP0zw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOpsNTIlK9Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxD_Y6ax95Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMNJwUUHMxc

USA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o4-YtEd6Tk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGz1Ajg7QU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chz8TnoznDc

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

Japan, no contest. Didn't even to watch those videos to give that answer.

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts
USA.
sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Japan FTW, US not so good..

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

The animation industry of the US pales in comparison to that of Japan's so naturally Japan would have better production values on their animated shows. Resulting in better openings.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#6 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

No intro beats the one for Ren & Stimpy as far as I'm concerned.

But as far as nations go, its hit and miss with both. USA ones are usually short and to-the-point without any catchy songs but Japanese ones sometimes have songs that get annoying after a while but have excellent production values.

Sonir77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sonir77
Member since 2006 • 1846 Posts

i kinda like japan openings

immrgoodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 immrgoodguy

Japan also has something most US Animations don't have: Ending Songs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDGd35uMf-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN3BYyMpeMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnu3a5-zBT0

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

Of those Japan. I like USA's more on other things.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Anime.

I tend to skip over them though..unless they're really awesome, like seen in Umineko. Also: Shaft's more recent openings have been great (a lot of people see them as lazy these days, but I really like their style in shows like Bakemonogatari and Ef.) Some other recent favorites: Freedom -- Eden of The East -- Mahoutsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto - Natsu no Sora -- Spice & Wolf (Season 1)

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

why did you pick the worst american intros

come on no spawn, drawn together, tripping the rift, futurama

i mean you got scooby doo, spiderman(70's) and simpsons going against Gundam and Hellsing that hardly seems unfair

at least this set of intros would stand a chance

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Japan, through US does have some really good openings.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
Japan for sure, I guess another reason for their's being better is they get famous singers to sometimes do intros. Plus japanese animation as a whole > american IMO.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts
Japan in my opinion...
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
When the japan ones arent horrendously bad, they're incredible. Meanwhile I'd say that USA ones are never bad, but nowhere near as good as the best japan ones.
DOS4dinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DOS4dinner
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

USA. Swat Kats comes to mind whenever I think of awesome intros.

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

USA's animation in general isn't as bad as some people think.

I think Japan gets a little too much praise sometimes.

Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts
I don't even like Anime. American cartoons of today are ****, but because we have such a rich past of amazing cartoons, I'll have to go with American.
reikalee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 reikalee
Member since 2009 • 154 Posts

Japan. US openings use mostly clips. Japanese openings are especially directed.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

USA. Swat Kats comes to mind whenever I think of awesome intros.

DOS4dinner

That show was awesome! But I still think american animation has gone downhill, they all seem to have the same ****if you know what I mean (modern). Compare the dead space anime to all the DCS ones to shows like ben 10 and you swear the same guy does the animation for all of them, batman + superman public enemies finally drew a decent looking superman.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I don't really give a crap about openings for any shows, though both American and japanese animations have had some nice openings. So it's a tie for me.

MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I Dunno....in my opinion, Japan seems more complex, and the US seems more "did you see that episode last night?"

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

they both have theire good ones but japan have heaps of crap ones as well.

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

USA! USA! USA!

I just don't like Japanese animation

I mean c'mon how can you not like the catchy tune of Scooby freaking Doo

And I can't understand a damn thing they are saying in those Japan openings.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Anime openings are usually nothing more than glorified music videos that the big media companies use to promote new songs and artists. Furthermore, most of them include the same cliche opening scenes (characters standing against a sky with a strong gust blowing their clothes and hair, some guy slinging a sword/gun over his shoulder, someone calling out for help, split-second filler transistion scenes that have nothing at all to do with anything else in the opening, etc). American animations tend to at least have novel, signature openings.

That said, some anime forego the licensed music and derivative openings, and those are pretty damn top notch. For example, Elfen Lied's opening is one of the best I've seen. And while it isn't an opening but rather an ending, Clannad's ending was also very well done and fit the serie's theme pretty well.

Anyway, I'd say that anime does have more exciting openings, but most of the time those openings feel pretty tacked on and don't really ever seem to feel like a true part of the show. So while American openings are often much shorter and much more simplistic, they at least become part of the show's identity unlike anime where the openings tend to get scrapped and replaced after every season. That said, the best anime openings definitely outshine the best American openings.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts
Definately, Japan. US openings can improve MUCH better.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

japan no contest I cant belive u put up 3 gundam openings and none of them was gundam wing u fail sir

Avatar image for Console_Gamer93
Console_Gamer93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Console_Gamer93
Member since 2007 • 2712 Posts

japan no contest I cant belive u put up 3 gundam openings and none of them was gundam wing u fail sir

kemar7856

Very valid point.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Velocitas8

For example, Elfen Lied's opening is one of the best I've seen. And while it isn't an opening but rather an ending, Clannad's ending was also very well done and fit the serie's theme pretty well.gameguy6700

Yeah, Elfen Lied's opening is awesome. Pretty much the only memorable thing about the show, though.

Enjoyed Clannad season 1's unique little ending as well.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

Japanese animation is better than American in pretty much every respect, not just opening songs. Pretty much the only genre of American animation that can compete with Japanese animation is comedy (depending on your tastes), and even then, Japanese comedies still have better production values.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
TC is biased...
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
Japanese animation is in a whole other level. First Japan, then France, then the rest of nations in the world.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gameguy6700

Japanese animation is better than American in pretty much every respect, not just opening songs. Pretty much the only genre of American animation that can compete with Japanese animation is comedy (depending on your tastes), and even then, Japanese comedies still have better production values.

black_cat19

I'd have to argue that. Anime in general is plagued by lazy animation. The art is definitely much higher quality than what you see in the west, but the animations themselves tend to be very static. If you watch American catoons the animation is very fluid and lively, whereas with anime there's very little movement going on at any given time.

Also, Japanese animated comedies tend to all fall into the "slice of life" genre which imo pales in comparison to American cartoon comedy.

gamertylers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamertylers
Member since 2005 • 1977 Posts

Anime openings are usually nothing more than glorified music videos that the big media companies use to promote new songs and artists. Furthermore, most of them include the same cliche opening scenes (characters standing against a sky with a strong gust blowing their clothes and hair, some guy slinging a sword/gun over his shoulder, someone calling out for help, split-second filler transistion scenes that have nothing at all to do with anything else in the opening, etc). American animations tend to at least have novel, signature openings.

That said, some anime forego the licensed music and derivative openings, and those are pretty damn top notch. For example, Elfen Lied's opening is one of the best I've seen. And while it isn't an opening but rather an ending, Clannad's ending was also very well done and fit the serie's theme pretty well.

Anyway, I'd say that anime does have more exciting openings, but most of the time those openings feel pretty tacked on and don't really ever seem to feel like a true part of the show. So while American openings are often much shorter and much more simplistic, they at least become part of the show's identity unlike anime where the openings tend to get scrapped and replaced after every season. That said, the best anime openings definitely outshine the best American openings.

gameguy6700

While many anime openings and closings have the strong gust of wind blowing character's clothes and hair, and slinging a sword/gun, that alone doesn't make it bad. It may seem very generic, but in some cases, it can really tie in to what the show is about.

As for them being tacked on, I hate that. But for some shows, the openings and closing give a great representation of what the show is about and what is going on in that season. I actually like that they change opening and closings to match the current season. I'd rather have the opening and closer represent what's currently going on, rather then something more general. Often, the new song will be tied in to what the new seaons is about, rather than something random. A great example of a closing that ties in to the currnet mood of the anime, would be Let It Out, as the second closing to Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood. It easily ties in to the mood of what's going on for the episodes where it's used and feels like a perfect way of closing the episodes. Yes, it has the hair blowing against a gust of wind as a major portion, but the overall feeling from it ties in very well to what's currently going on in the show.

black_cat19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 black_cat19
Member since 2006 • 8212 Posts

[QUOTE="black_cat19"]

gameguy6700

I'd have to argue that. Anime in general is plagued by lazy animation. The art is definitely much higher quality than what you see in the west, but the animations themselves tend to be very static. If you watch American catoons the animation is very fluid and lively, whereas with anime there's very little movement going on at any given time.

Also, Japanese animated comedies tend to all fall into the "slice of life" genre which imo pales in comparison to American cartoon comedy.

How about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9NKu6bSkbc&feature=related

I'd say the animation here is just as fluid and lively as any American animated comedy, and it's definitely not a "slice of life". Be warned, it has a kind of "girly" aesthetic to it, but I think it's really funny, it's absolutely ridiculous and obviously not meant to be taken seriously.

Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Velocitas8

Also, Japanese animated comedies tend to all fall into the "slice of life" genre which imo pales in comparison to American cartoon comedy.gameguy6700

"Slice of life" is not some sub-genre of comedy. Hopefully that wasn't what you were implying..but even then, I don't see how the slice of life element would affect the *quality* of the comedic material as it, at best, just serves to facilitate situations for which material can be written (though that's definitely more interesting than the "LOL SO RANDUM xD" crap you see in shows like Family Guy, imo.)

Shows containing that "daily life" element (a huge number of anime are this way, not just those of comedic focus) ..with a focus on comedy, like Ichigo Mashimaro or Minami-ke..are honestly far more humorous than any western cartoons I've come across. Not that I'm saying you should feel the same -- whether something is funny or not is, of course, subjective.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gameguy6700

[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Also, Japanese animated comedies tend to all fall into the "slice of life" genre which imo pales in comparison to American cartoon comedy.Velocitas8

"Slice of life" is not some sub-genre of comedy. Hopefully that wasn't what you were implying..but even then, I don't see how the slice of life element would affect the *quality* of the comedic material as it, at best, just serves to facilitate situations for which material can be written (though that's definitely more interesting than the "LOL SO RANDUM xD" crap you see in shows like Family Guy, imo.)

Shows containing that "daily life" element (a huge number of anime are this way, not just those of comedic focus) ..with a focus on comedy, like Ichigo Mashimaro or Minami-ke..are honestly far more humorous than any western cartoons I've come across. Not that I'm saying you should feel the same -- whether something is funny or not is, of course, subjective.

I find it very ironic that you bash Family Guy for being "lol random" when that's all slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh, Minami-ke, Lucky Star, etc. are. Even Family Guy has coherent, focused episodes compared to the completely unfocused, random nature of SoL anime.

As for Black_Cat19's reply (normally I'd quote it but GS is screwy with posts that combine more than one quote):

I've seen Ouran before. I stopped watching around the 8th or 11th episode. And no, Ouran most definitely does not have fluid and lively animation. Watch the scene where what's-her-name walks into the host club room and breaks the vase. The entire time it's nothing but repetitive (and often simplistic) animations. For example, notice how whenever a character is talking the only thing moving in the entire shot is their mouth? Hell, sometimes there isn't even animation at all, it's just the camera focused on a piece of backdrop scenary and slowly zooming out. Even when a character is actually doing something while talking it's usually a simplistic animation that can be repeated as many times as necessary without any effort (for example, the wiggling arms effect or a character's entire body shifting back and forth on the screen without changing body posture or even moving their legs).

Contrast that to this. Notice how much more movement is going on? The drawing may not be as polished, but the characters do more than just move there mouths and maybe an arm while talking. Rather, you get a full range of fluid facial expressions and the entire body is animated rather than just being static. There's a lot more differences between the two shows than just character animations so keep an eye out for the animation in general and you'll see what I mean.

FalcoLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 FalcoLX
Member since 2007 • 4452 Posts

The opening songs for anime all sound the same.

Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
Japan obviously, some of them are really epic..
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Velocitas8

I find it very ironic that you bash Family Guy for being "lol random" when that's all slice of life shows like Azumanga Daioh, Minami-ke, Lucky Star, etc. are. Even Family Guy has coherent, focused episodes compared to the completely unfocused, random nature of SoL anime.gameguy6700

I'll give you Azumanga and Lucky Star -- both of which I hated with a passion (No idea if the randomness was a factor, but I simply couldn't stand either show. They were not funny in the least.)

However, Minami-ke isn't about jumping around randomness or unfunny references like the above shows are. It's all about putting situational comedy into continual mundane daily life, not about skipping around between completely unrelated skits. Each episode in Minami-ke has some sort of focus. None of the scenes are random or stand on their own like the "LOL HE FELL DOWN, GOT HURT AND SAT THERE ROCKING HIS KNEE FOR 30 SECONDS" stuff you'll find in Family Guy. Scenes tie together and build on one another, for the most part.

The storyline as a whole is also continuous rather than completely episodic (pretty obvious if you watch the show.) The continuity isn't heavily emphasized (as I said, it's more episodic), but the show actually builds on established elements from previous episodes.

Now, you didn't mention it, but I'd probably also give you Ichigo Mashimaro as being pretty "lol randum" (though not Family Guy random) ..despite every episode having bursts of focus throughout. But I don't give a damn. It's funny regardless.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#42 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Japan. The last great opening in USA cartoon was in Men in Black.

fize4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 fize4ever
Member since 2009 • 1652 Posts

Japan FTW, US not so good..

sonic__323

this

Code-Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Code-Llama
Member since 2009 • 747 Posts
Japan. No doubt there.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

My favorite is Hunter X Hunter opening 2. So i will go with Japanese.

immrgoodguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 immrgoodguy

Unrelated question: Who makes better death scenes?

Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSraFV8AOvM

US

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

TC is biased...MgamerBD

im going to have to agree with this

Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

As much as I love the Mummies Aliveopening, im gonna say Japan.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

Japan, no contest. Didn't even to watch those videos to give that answer.

freek666
same
_7h0m_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 _7h0m_
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts
TC is biased...MgamerBD
this