What's your favorite beer, OT?

• 177 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts

I have three sort of tied in first, and they all happen to be unfiltered wheat beers.

Shock Top

Blue Moon

Boulevard Wheat

Blue Moon and Shock Top are very similar, and are both simply amazing when garnished with an orange. Boulevard Wheat comes from a Kansas City brewery, Boulevard Brewery, and is a favorite throughout the Midwest. Boulevard is best when garnished with a lemon.

What about you, OT?

Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#2 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111411 Posts
This thread looks familiar...
DavidianMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DavidianMH
Member since 2011 • 1458 Posts
Don't drink beer often, but when I do its usually Beck's.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
shiner and XX
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

I've got to admit, there are few beers I dislike more than unfiltered wheat beer (except mass produced American lager), but that's what's so great about beer - the sheer variety.

Race Rocks amber is up there, although I've been working my way through a pack of Tree Brewing amber recently (Thirsty Beaver) and it's pretty damn good.

Philips Amnesiac is my favourite IPA, although it's a very hoppy one. I just find the hops give it a nice citrus note that most IPAs lack - and I'm not really an India Pale Ale fan in general, to be honest, as most of them are acrid and bitter without anything to balance it out.

My favourite beer, however, is easily Okanagan Springs Porter (formerly Old English Porter). I don't have a picture, but it's 8.5%, incredibly dark, rich (and no doubt full of calories), and makes a perfect cold weather brew and/or a dessert beer. It truly drinks likea meal, and makes Guiness taste like water.

I also kind of like Big Rock's Grasshopper, which is the only wheat beer I'll drink.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Rickard's Red, Fort Garry Dark, and Dos Equis.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

It's an odd combo but I prefer both Blue moon and heineken. But really, it all taste the same to me after a few.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

dos equis and pacifico

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DJ_Lae
Rickard's Redfoxhound_fox
Oh yeah. This is easily my favourite mass produced beer (followed by Sleeman's Honey Brown), and a good fallback for any bar or club that might not carry much in the way of microbrews.
solidruss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 solidruss
Member since 2002 • 24082 Posts

Yes, that should cover it...

Avatar image for heysharpshooter
heysharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 heysharpshooter
Member since 2009 • 6348 Posts

so good

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 KSU-Wildcat

I've got to admit, there are few beers I dislike more than unfiltered wheat beer (except mass produced American lager), but that's what's so great about beer - the sheer variety.

Race Rocks amber is up there, although I've been working my way through a pack of Tree Brewing amber recently (Thirsty Beaver) and it's pretty damn good.

Philips Amnesiac is my favourite IPA, although it's a very hoppy one. I just find the hops give it a nice citrus note that most IPAs lack - and I'm not really an India Pale Ale fan in general, to be honest, as most of them are acrid and bitter without anything to balance it out.

My favourite beer, however, is easily Okanagan Springs Porter (formerly Old English Porter). I don't have a picture, but it's 8.5%, incredibly dark, rich (and no doubt full of calories), and makes a perfect cold weather brew and/or a dessert beer. It truly drinks likea meal, and makes Guiness taste like water.

I also kind of like Big Rock's Grasshopper, which is the only wheat beer I'll drink.

DJ_Lae

While I can't agree that you dislike unfiltered wheats ( :P ), I agree with the rest. I love the variety. And I like how you mentioned an IPA, I love IPAs.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Oh yeah. This is easily my favourite mass produced beer (followed by Sleeman's Honey Brown), and a good fallback for any bar or club that might not carry much in the way of microbrews.DJ_Lae
I've probably sampled close to 50 different types of beer since I started drinking and haven't found any that I can not either fault or say I stopped liking it... other than Rickard's Red. It goes good in any situation; whether with a meal, or drinking causally, or in large quantities, or chugging... it is smooth, flavourful, and is neither too hop-y nor too sweet (like some Belgian beers I've had... bleh). And at like $19 for a 12-er, it is insanely reasonable.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

New castle

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I like me some Moosehead. For some reason I just really enjoy it. Can't find it in many places though near me for some reason.

bebop013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bebop013
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts
Guess I'll be the first mainstreamer and say Guinness. I've tried many beers in my day and while i liked some better i can't remember what they were. anything that doesn't have a commercial isn't sold in bulk around here, just by-the-bottle at liquor stores.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Sam Adams Light.

KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 KSU-Wildcat

Guess I'll be the first mainstreamer and say Guinness. I've tried many beers in my day and while i liked some better i can't remember what they were. anything that doesn't have a commercial isn't sold in bulk around here, just by-the-bottle at liquor stores.bebop013

I wouldn't necessarily call Guinesss mainstream.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Good ol' Budweiser.

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts
I like to drink MGD myself.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Recently I've been drinking a lot of brooklyn lager and brown ale. One of my favorite belgians would have to be St Bernardus 10 I think its called. With todays brewing scene there is so much variety and different styles out there its impossible for someone who really loves beer to just pick one.

Avatar image for EndlessPunisher
EndlessPunisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 EndlessPunisher
Member since 2005 • 1390 Posts
Love me some Lonestar.
Gbanduser45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 Gbanduser45
Member since 2010 • 196 Posts

Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Corona, and Fosters. I've had some weird ones like Indian pale ale but I tend to like easy to find mainstream stuff.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

New castle

k2theswiss

I remember Newcastle Brown being the transitional drink that helped a person go from cider to proper beer. I actually had a pint for the first time in about 20 years the other day. Not bad, a bit sweet, and not so fond memories of how terrible it is coming up the other way. Newcastle Brown Puke is 2nd only to Cointreau Puke and Sambuca Puke.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Mill St. Organic and Stock Ale. Both are absolutely amazing, and anyone who can purchase alcohol legally should try them both.
KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KSU-Wildcat

Sam Adams Boston Lager, Sam Adams Oktoberfest, Corona, and Fosters. I've had some weird ones like Indian pale ale but I tend to like easy to find mainstream stuff.

Gbanduser45

Oh brother. Sam Adam's Oktoberfest. How could I forget? So good!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58511 Posts

there are so many. Do I have to chose just one?

Anyway, I've been in IPA/DIPA/IIPA mode lately so I have to go with good ol' Pliny the Elder

Firestone Walker also released their new batch of Abacus (barleywine). Beautiful example of oak-aged beer

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrbojangles25

Recently I've been drinking a lot of brooklyn lager and brown ale. One of my favorite belgians would have to be St Bernardus 10 I think its called. With todays brewing scene there is so much variety and different styles out there its impossible for someone who really loves beer to just pick one.

nooblet69

St Bernardus is great. Had me a bottle of their 12 that was aged for 3 years...freaking amazing.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
I usually drink coors lite or molson. I know, I'm cheap, but we usually mix it with other stuff so it rarely matters.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Lae
I usually drink coors lite or molson. I know, I'm cheap, but we usually mix it with other stuff so it rarely matters.funsohng
You mix beer with other stuff? That just sounds wrong somehow.
destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

great divide, and beck's

DmadFearmonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 DmadFearmonger
Member since 2009 • 5169 Posts

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Bud Light. I like to keep it simple... and cheap.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DJ_Lae
Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.DJ_Lae
Exactly. Most people are all "I like to keep it cheap"...but really, an extra couple of bucks can give you an increase in quality several times over. It's just worth it to spend a little more.
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pirate700

Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.DJ_Lae
Here in the states, an 18-36 can case of domestic comes out to about only $.50/can. So yeah there is a HUGE differece.

antiredcap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 antiredcap
Member since 2007 • 1757 Posts

Hansa Pilsner (South African Beer) , great stuff.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.chrisrooR
Exactly. Most people are all "I like to keep it cheap"...but really, an extra couple of bucks can give you an increase in quality several times over. It's just worth it to spend a little more.

Pfft, on a good day I can get a case(24 beers) of bud for 13 bucks. I have yet to find a case of expensive imported overrated crap that can match that.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pirate700

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.chrisrooR

A case of domestic is generally 1/3-1/4 of it's "better" counterparts. That REALLY ads up. Especially if you're a regular/every day drinker.

Avatar image for elemental_drago
elemental_drago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 elemental_drago
Member since 2004 • 1816 Posts

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]Are beer prices that much different in the US? Here in BC I find that the price of a six pack of crappy macrobrew costs about the same as a six pack of microbrew. So Coors Lite or some other garbage (like Lucky) is about $10 for six, where a pack of something decent is only going to set you back an extra dollar or so.Pirate700

Here in the states, an 18-36 can case of domestic comes out to about only $.50/can. So yeah there is a HUGE differece.

This has been my experience too. For the price of a 12 pack of Buds, I can get a sixer of Fat Tire (give or take a couple of dollars, to be honest). Also, to answer the TCs question, my favorite beer is.....wait for it......Fat Tire, from Belgium Brewery. Second is Planet Porter, Boulder Brewery. On tap, nothing beats it in my opinion. Its that darn "on tap" part that makes it second.........w/o driving to the brewery.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
I prefer Molson.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"]I usually drink coors lite or molson. I know, I'm cheap, but we usually mix it with other stuff so it rarely matters.DJ_Lae

With soju (rice wine) It's actually pretty nice and common in Korean drinking parties.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

mrbojangles25

St Bernardus is great. Had me a bottle of their 12 that was aged for 3 years...freaking amazing.

Nice, yeah theres a place here in south Florida that had some st bernardus on tap and it was amazing. I've always wanted to try that Pliny the Elder you posted in your other post but it doesn't sell in Florida :(. Got a cousin moving out there soon will have to get him to mail me some.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrbojangles25

domestic dingo piss macrobrew(Coors, MGD, Bud) are about 0.30-0.60 a can...there are always sales going on.

microbrews range, and vary a lot depending on where you go. I can get a 6-pack of Sierra Nevada (really solid but widespread microbrew) for around 8-10 bucks, which imo is a really good deal given the quality of the beer and the fact a 6-pack gives me better buzz than a 12-pack of Macrobrew. Other breweries (Stone, Lagunitas, Green Flash, Deschutes) are similiarly priced.

Imports are obviously more expensive. Chimay, likely the most famous Belgian in the states (at least the most popular), goes for 8-12 dollars for a 750 mL bottle, which is about 23 ounces or so.

Domestic Belgian-style beers by Port Brewing, Lost Abbey, and others go for much better; a nice Dubbel or Tripel ranging from 7-10% ABV can be had for 4-7 dollars. One bottle of that not only tastes great, but can get you pretty damn tipsy...something about wholesome, unfiltered beer...I think your body treats it as food and gets the alcohol into your system more efficiently, idunno :)

Then there are the big boys. Allagash, a brewery in Maine that specializes in really good, innovative Belgian-style ales generally sells for around 10-15 bucks a bottle, sometimes more. But man, in my humble opinion, it is incredibly worth it...their Allagash Cureiux is incredible: Belgian-style ale aged in Bourbon barrels, 11% ABV...it is simply breathtaking. Dogfish Head comes in 4-packs that can range from 12-20 bucks depending on the beer. Again, I don't have a problem dropping 5 bucks on a beer that is strong and tasty.

But don't take my word from it. I don't call myself a beer snob (I love Pabst, and Budweiser is a technically perfect lager), but I am a beer lover...I think it is better to spend 20 bucks well on good beer than to waste 10 on bad stuff. Life is too short to drink fizzy water. Quality over quanitity. Etc etc. Also, my alcohol intake has gotten me to the point where I simply cannot get a buzz off of cheap beer. At all. I had 16 Blue Moons at my cousin's wedding and didnt feel anything. Good beer, however, still gets me every time.

I make under 20k a year though and I still find it in my budget to make room for good beer.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Pirate700

[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"][QUOTE="funsohng"]I usually drink coors lite or molson. I know, I'm cheap, but we usually mix it with other stuff so it rarely matters.funsohng

With soju (rice wine) It's actually pretty nice and common in Korean drinking parties.

So it's like an asian boiler maker. :P

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="nooblet69"]

nooblet69

Nice, yeah theres a place here in south Florida that had some st bernardus on tap and it was amazing. I've always wanted to try that Pliny the Elder you posted in your other post but it doesn't sell in Florida :(. Got a cousin moving out there soon will have to get him to mail me some.

on tap :o

that's the nice thing about being on the East Coast...youre that much closer to Europe :D I'd kill for anything Belgian and semi-hard-to-find on tap. Hell there is a bar in San Francisco people go to solely for the fact they have Duvel on tap lol.

And yeah, Russian River Brewing Co. is pretty small, and their product is really wholesome so it does not travel well. I live in Central Coast,California and we hardly get anything of theirs because we are on the ass-end of the NorCal distribution network (technically we are Southern California :cry: so I am stuck with generally unbalanced hopbombs)

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] You mix beer with other stuff? That just sounds wrong somehow.Pirate700

dunno why but a boilermaker sounds really, really good. Damn, even a White Trash Mimosa sounds good

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Heineken, Fosters, Carling, I like them all.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DJ_Lae"] You mix beer with other stuff? That just sounds wrong somehow.Pirate700

pretty much, but much more.... casual. Kinda possible because soju is only like 24% alcohol. And it's not like we have bartenders making it, but we just order soju and beer in 1:5 ratio, and mix them at our will. Some times, we pour half of soju in a pint and the other half with beer and do a drinking game with that. I'm not really familiar with non-Korean drinking customs though....
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

Fat Tire

Blue Moon