What's so great about democracy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

QiiXii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 QiiXii
Member since 2009 • 603 Posts

While reading news stories about the rioting in the Middle East, I've noticed that many news outlets have been championing democracy as if it were the best way of governing.

Personally, I do not advocate the practice of democracy, at least in a national sense; I fail to understand how majority opinion actually produces the best results.

Opinions?

DeepSigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DeepSigh
Member since 2011 • 456 Posts

Anarchy, baby. If implemented properly, it would own.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
No one in the west really likes democracy. They like democracy after the ability of the majority to govern others has been heavily curbed. Freedom exists in democracies in places where it can't be voted away.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
i prefer a republic personally and i get ticked anytime we get a politician preaching america is a democracy when its a republic.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Democracy is the worst form of government in the world, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time.

rabunzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 rabunzel
Member since 2009 • 258 Posts
oh god, don't tell me you've all heard about what's happening in middle east I guess the scandal got quiet famous I'm from Syria and after this mess the government finally decided to give people the democracy they were asking for but if you asked me I didn't want that to happen I mean we were better off without
stanleycup98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 stanleycup98
Member since 2006 • 6144 Posts
People like the premise that the common people have a say in their government. We all know that is never actually true though.
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

Democracy is inversely proportional to freedom.

Thomas Jefferson: A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

John Adams: Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

Benjamin Franklin: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

James Madison: Democracy was the right of the people to choose their own tyrant.

Winston Churchill: The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.

John Adams: That the desires of the majority of the people are often for injustice and inhumanity against the minority, is demonstrated by every page of the history of the world.

John Quincy Adams: The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived.

You get the idea.

rockerbikie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 rockerbikie
Member since 2010 • 10027 Posts

Anarchy is absolute ludacris. The Politicans today are just as corrupt and the Kings and Queens used to be.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Democracy is probably the worst government idea ever, besides mostly everything else out there.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

nothing,except it works.

aransom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 aransom
Member since 2002 • 7408 Posts

People like the premise that the common people have a say in their government. We all know that is never actually true though.stanleycup98
Yeah, we passed a ballot initiative that reduced license tabs from hundreds of dollars to $30, and the next time I had to get new tabs it only cost $30. I guess that was my imagination.

Jonah-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jonah-
Member since 2006 • 213 Posts
Free sticker :3
bachilders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 bachilders
Member since 2005 • 1430 Posts

[QUOTE="stanleycup98"]People like the premise that the common people have a say in their government. We all know that is never actually true though.aransom

Yeah, we passed a ballot initiative that reduced license tabs from hundreds of dollars to $30, and the next time I had to get new tabs it only cost $30. I guess that was my imagination.

Inception!

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

What are the alternatives? Any democracy is going to have some dramatic flaws, but I'd prefer that to living under any authoritarian system.

An authoritarian system might possibly be able to produce better economic results or benefits in other areas (hardly demonstrated), but no thanks. I like my freedom.

That said, many democracies that exist are extremely corrupt and dysfunctional.

optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 optiow
Member since 2008 • 28284 Posts
Democracy gives the people ability to forge their own destinies, rather than corrupt rich men forging it for them.
xLFTMx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xLFTMx
Member since 2010 • 987 Posts

Democracy is the worst form of government in the world, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time.

GabuEx

Indeed.

Democracy would be fantastic, if most people werent so disinterested in their countries politics.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts
It's better than the alternatives
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I think most people want some say in how theirlives are run.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Eh. Republics are pretty cool.

Plus, this guy looks really legit.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#21 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

xLFTMx

Indeed.

Democracy would be fantastic, if most people werent so disinterested in their countries politics.

Disinterest and a lack of actual intellectual engagement, too. Polls have shown that the public doesn't really have any clue when it comes to economic matters, and constantly want to eat their cake and have it too. ("DON'T CUT ANY SPENDING! DON'T INCREASE TAXES! BALANCE THE BUDGET!")

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="xLFTMx"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

GabuEx

Indeed.

Disinterest and a lack of actual intellectual engagement, too. Polls have shown that the public doesn't really have any clue when it comes to economic matters, and constantly want to eat their cake and have it too. ("DON'T CUT ANY SPENDING! DON'T INCREASE TAXES! BALANCE THE BUDGET!")

I think it has more to do with selfish narrow sightedness.. That if taxes were something that was optional, the countries government would go bankrupt.. Regardless of the amount of services people benefit every day from.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Democracy may not produce the best results at times, but it does allow for a free populace. When the people are the ones that decide who has the power, the ones in power cannot control the people.

Avatar image for darkassassin911
darkassassin911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 darkassassin911
Member since 2009 • 609 Posts

GabuEx

Isnt that a quote from Winston Churchill??? Anyway, I dont think democracy is anything too special, I believe that people are different all over the world and different governments work in different places, if that makes sense.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

What exactly else is there that works?

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

When people say democracy they mean a representative democracy, in a pluralist society, with some form of check on elected officials exercise of power, usually by enshrining individual/minority rights (like a written or unwritten constitution).

And if you have that, it kicks the crap out of everything else.

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

There was never a right form of government. Politics is just a bat**** storm that never clears out.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

it's actually not a pure majority opinion. that's why people can't just vote for restrictions on minorities.

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kayoticdreamz

Democracy is inversely proportional to freedom.

Thomas Jefferson: A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%.

John Adams: Democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.

Benjamin Franklin: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.

James Madison: Democracy was the right of the people to choose their own tyrant.

Winston Churchill: The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.

John Adams: That the desires of the majority of the people are often for injustice and inhumanity against the minority, is demonstrated by every page of the history of the world.

John Quincy Adams: The experience of all former ages had shown that of all human governments, democracy was the most unstable, fluctuating and short-lived.

You get the idea.

bachilders
ya i was going to post some founding father quotes but i got lazy. but ya i agree with this post. again this is more proof america is a REPUBLIC not a democracy contrary to what 95% of the wolrd seems to think and why i get ticked when we promote democracy.
angrules23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 angrules23
Member since 2007 • 854 Posts

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

i prefer a republic personally and i get ticked anytime we get a politician preaching america is a democracy when its a republic.kayoticdreamz

We're a democratic republic to be precise.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

ya i was going to post some founding father quotes but i got lazy. but ya i agree with this post. again this is more proof america is a REPUBLIC not a democracy contrary to what 95% of the wolrd seems to think and why i get ticked when we promote democracy.kayoticdreamz

America is both a republic and a democracy. The two are not mutually exclusive; indeed, in the modern era democracy is meant to be understood as a broader term, with republic being one form of governance rooted in (representative) democracy.

Founding father quotes are irrelevant as they were written at a time when political philosophy did not conceive of other forms of democracy. Relying on the founding fathers in a discussion of democracy as it applies to modern pluralistic societies based upon representative democracy is like asking a caveman for his opinion on airplanes.

Samurai_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Samurai_Xavier
Member since 2003 • 4364 Posts

People are motivated by self-interest. Thats why people like democracies. Because they can choose whats in their best interest and no one can choose for them.

And yes, that self-interest doesn't always produce the "best results".

kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kayoticdreamz

[QUOTE="kayoticdreamz"] ya i was going to post some founding father quotes but i got lazy. but ya i agree with this post. again this is more proof america is a REPUBLIC not a democracy contrary to what 95% of the wolrd seems to think and why i get ticked when we promote democracy.SUD123456

America is both a republic and a democracy. The two are not mutually exclusive; indeed, in the modern era democracy is meant to be understood as a broader term, with republic being one form of governance rooted in (representative) democracy.

Founding father quotes are irrelevant as they were written at a time when political philosophy did not conceive of other forms of democracy. Relying on the founding fathers in a discussion of democracy as it applies to modern pluralistic societies based upon representative democracy is like asking a caveman for his opinion on airplanes.

but when talking about what kind of government america is quoting the founding fathers who created said government is highly relevant. furthermore the founders possessed quite a bit of knowledge that is very applicable today.
EJ902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 EJ902
Member since 2005 • 14338 Posts
Democracy isn't good, it's just the least bad system we've found so far
Cataclism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cataclism
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

i prefer a republic personally and i get ticked anytime we get a politician preaching america is a democracy when its a republic.kayoticdreamz

Then, you don't know what a republic or a democracy are. The US is indeed a democracy.

Democracy, is a type of state where the citizens can choose their rulers by voting.
A Republic is hard to define... One common modern definition of a republic is a government having a head of state who is not a monarch.
A monarchy, is a state where the head of state is a monarch, and this position is hereditary.

Both Republics AND Monarchies can be democracies. For example, the US is a Republic and a presidential democracy. A Constitutional Republic to be more exact. A type of government where the Government is voted uppon and therefore is representative of the people. The constitution, limits the power of the gov over its people.

The UK on the other hand, is a Constitutional Monarchy and also a parliamentary democracy. While the monarch can't be voted uppon, in this system the monarch isn't much more than an head of state. All legislative power being concentrated on the elected government lead by a prime-minister.

There is further difference between the two:
The US is a presidential democracy, meaning that you vote for the president, and it's the president that basically takes all legislative power.
The UK (and almost every European country) are parliamentary democracies where the legislative power is owned by the parliament. The elections decide the composition of the parliament so that proportional representation is achieved, and the party which is most voted on gets to form government. Many times, the government may be formed by multiple parties so that the government can achieve a majority in parliament.
Parliamentary Republics may work under a semi-presidential system where the president, elected in separate elections from legislative elections holds powers like being able to dissolve parliament and call for new elections. In the french semi-presidential system, the President is also in charge of foreign policy while the prime-minister is in charge of inter policy.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

It forces the authorities to screw the masses in a more subtle manner.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

nothing. Democracy absolutely sucks

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Democracy and Authorarian are two sides of the same coin of extremes.. The United States doesn't have a democracy.. It has a Republic with democratic voting processes in some areas, and a Constitution.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#40 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Democracy means the rule of the majority. In a democratic system, you'd be able to vote in presidential elections and run for presidency. A country's development is also measured by the amount of freedoms it grants and one of the freedoms is the political rights. The more rights and freedoms a country grants, the better it is. To allow any citizen to rule a country through fair elections is more of an aim because all citizens are equal under democracy. Monarchy and constitutional monarchy grants royalties some advantages just because they're royalty. In some countries, royal family members are given monthly salaries just because they were born of the royal family. Money from the treasury is spent monthly on people just for the fact that they're royalty. Is that fair?