What will your future hold if you don't attend College?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts
Many people at my High School act as if you will get nowhere. Anyone here not go to College?
BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

Garbage men can't be garbage men unless they graduate. That there should tell you what type of job you'll gewt if you don't attend college.

HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
I went to one year of uni so far, but I'm not sure if I'll return in the fall, I might take a year off to really focus on music. Otherwise, yeah, you're fairly screwed if you don't at least have something. Especially in today's economy.
kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

I went to one year of uni so far, but I'm not sure if I'll return in the fall, I might take a year off to really focus on music. Otherwise, yeah, you're fairly screwed if you don't at least have something. Especially in today's economy.HybridPhoenix
I took the year off bad idea because I wasn't working for like 3 months

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
10 - 15 years ago it was okay for a high school graduate to not go to college....now its pretty much necessary in order to survive on your own.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

Garbage men can't be garbage men unless they graduate. That there should tell you what type of job you'll gewt if you don't attend college.

BumFluff122
being a Garbage Man is actually a great job...
Nerd_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nerd_Man
Member since 2007 • 13819 Posts

If you're fine with working at a grocery store and playing the lotto for the rest of your life... Then sure, going to college isn't that necessary for you.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
College isn't a necessity for a successful life. It helps a lot, but you don't need to have a college education.
ngwoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ngwoo
Member since 2009 • 116 Posts
If you are fine with manual labour, you don't need college. The mining/forestry industries usually only require high school and you'll be making more money from the start than someone with many four-year degrees will. That being said, there is far less room to expand and make more money in the future.
HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts

[QUOTE="HybridPhoenix"]I went to one year of uni so far, but I'm not sure if I'll return in the fall, I might take a year off to really focus on music. Otherwise, yeah, you're fairly screwed if you don't at least have something. Especially in today's economy.kemar7856

I took the year off bad idea because I wasn't working for like 3 months

I have a job and they give me however many hours I want.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#11 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

Depends on what skills you have without the degree. I've seen people do better without a degree than they did with a degree.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

ethanpaige

it pays good but it doesn't pay anywhere near as good as the types of jobs you could get if you went through college.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts

[QUOTE="ethanpaige"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

BumFluff122

it pays good but it doesn't pay anywhere near as good as the types of jobs you could get if you went through college.

Depends on what you go for though. A lot of people act like going for 4 years of school = $100k+ a year which really isn't the case especially if you only try to use education alone. It takes many talents to be successful financially.
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts

[QUOTE="ethanpaige"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

BumFluff122

Of course not, but the benefits are amazing.
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
I hear the military is hiring.
cametall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cametall
Member since 2003 • 7692 Posts
[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="ethanpaige"] being a Garbage Man is actually a great job...Tiefster

Depends on what you go for though. A lot of people act like going for 4 years of school = $100k+ a year which really isn't the case especially if you only try to use education alone. It takes many talents to be successful financially.

I've heard of people paying over $100k to get a 4 year teaching degree :lol: Everyone in college thinks they're going to come out with a 6-figure salary. It isn't until you're about to graduate that the **** hits the fan.
12Bullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 12Bullets
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

Depends on what skills you have without the degree. I've seen people do better without a degree than they did with a degree.

Tiefster
pretty much
blackngold29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blackngold29
Member since 2004 • 14137 Posts
[QUOTE="12Bullets"][QUOTE="Tiefster"]

pretty much

Well, yeah. But you're a lot more likely to be sucessful than be a Bill Gates or LeBron.
Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

I never went to Collage, I make $30/h (Canadian) and have full benifits and a pension. not to mention I get 3 months off every year to do what ever I want.

Collage? what's that?

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

Death. College makes you Immortal.

12Bullets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 12Bullets
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

[QUOTE="Tiefster"][QUOTE="BumFluff122"]it pays good but it doesn't pay anywhere near as good as the types of jobs you could get if you went through college.

cametall

I've heard of people paying over $100k to get a 4 year teaching degree :lol: Everyone in college thinks they're going to come out with a 6-figure salary. It isn't until you're about to graduate that the **** hits the fan.

yup. what do teachers make after all that school? here they start with 4 years of school its $37,043

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts

I never went to Collage, I make $30/h (Canadian) and have full benifits and a pension. not to mention I get 3 months off every year to do what ever I want.

Collage? what's that?

Mikey132
$50k/year for never attending university/college is pretty decent. What do you do?
Hungry_Jello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Hungry_Jello
Member since 2008 • 3024 Posts

I hear the military is hiring.blackngold29

Isnt it always? :lol:

Aznsilvrboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Aznsilvrboy
Member since 2002 • 11495 Posts
I'll be working in some entry level position for the rest of my life.
Proobie44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Proobie44
Member since 2006 • 5663 Posts

Well if I don't attend college I would try to go to Bethel, whether in Patterson, Wallkill or Brooklyn.

thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

[QUOTE="ethanpaige"] being a Garbage Man is actually a great job...Tiefster

It really depends on where you go and what you do.

An art history major from, say, the university of Wyoming isn't going to go very far, but an engineering major from, say, Caltech, Stanford, Duke, or Rice will probably get 90K+ starting.

A fair amount of people I know who graduated this year actually got 110K+ jobs.

Things're even better if you get a masters/PhD from these places.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58500 Posts

[QUOTE="BumFluff122"]

ethanpaige

ya, the garbagemen where I live get 40k starting salary, 3 weeks paid vacation, and full benefits. Many make 50+k a year.

Anyway, college is both very overrated, and very good. Odd, I know.

Its overrated simply because it is not really understood. People think you go, put in four years, graduate, and get a good job. Its doesnt work like that. College usually takes more than five years, is difficult, and throws all kinds of curveballs at you. If youre not ready for it, youre in for a tough time.

Too many people simply go to college because theyre pressured into it, because its "what you do after high school", and its sad.

College is good because it can lead to a good job; whether or not that job pays well doesnt matter, but what does matter is that if you study something you enjoy, youre likely to get a job you enjoy...it might even pay well.

Either way, its a good time to be a student, and bad time to be out looking for jobs. Stay in school.

And for God's sake at least graduate high school.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I didn't really do College, not properly. I ended up being paid 37 hours a week to patrol one of the best surf beaches of Cornwall. I keep the place clean, I need to keep track and deal with what ever washes up (including animals). I track tags that wash up from fishing boats and basically chill out on the beach. I also get paid to surf during my working hours, as long as I keep on top of things. I'm also a last resort lifeguard, since i'm still around the beach for a while after the life guards are off duty; in the last few hours i'm often in the water or overlooking it from a divable cliff that has an emergency buoyancy float. The sea can get quite nasty here, sometimes beginner surfers who wade out further can get relentlessy hammered by a constant stream of heavy waves that won't give you a second to catch your breath.

Since I love surfing anyway, I tend to stay there most the day. Of course all this practice time means i'm pretty damn good at it now, my special move being able to ride atop the curl of the wave, a fantastic feeling. Often I do a suicide bomb and turn myself into the wave, propelling myself into the air and doing a somersault off my board before crashing back into the sea to catch another wave, one day, instead of jumping from the board I hope to land back down on the wave. If I can pull that off, then I can perhaps look at surfing more seriously.

Other then that, i've done all kinds of mundane jobs over the winter. I can't do a full time office job anymore, get too bored.

Avatar image for LieutenantFeist
LieutenantFeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LieutenantFeist
Member since 2008 • 1529 Posts

"Would you like fries with that?"

Avatar image for dan-rofl-copter
dan-rofl-copter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dan-rofl-copter
Member since 2008 • 2702 Posts

I think I would either A: work for my dad or B: join the army.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

I'd still be a writer, just I wont have a double degree in Philosophy and Literature.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

I think that I would be pretty worthless without college. Math and science are about all I am good for. I would recommend going to college just because it opens up a lot of doors, but some people can do fine without it.

Mikey132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mikey132
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Mikey132"]

Collage? what's that?

Aznsilvrboy

$50k/year for never attending university/college is pretty decent. What do you do?

I operate Heavy Equipment building roads. Something we'll always need. My best year so far I made 76k :) lots of overtime.

cousin_eddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 cousin_eddy
Member since 2004 • 74681 Posts
trying to make it as a struggling artist.
p00zer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35 p00zer
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts

In the end it's about what you love. There are plenty of jobs you can get without college, and if it's a job you love you'd be a fool to pay..

Going to college isn't all about money either, in my situation I'm becoming a teacher. I know i'll only make like 50k for a while, and there are probably even non-college jobs that pay better after enough years, but it's what I love..

kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

I was raised believing that college was a normal part of the educational system, and that you weren't finished until you had a degree.

I can't say I hate my parents for it though. If I had the best days of my life in high school, I had the best weeks, nay, monthsin college!

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#37 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I feel my future wouldn't be much if I don't attend college. I'd like to finish college, get a degree and have a good job. Who doesn't?

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
It is certainly possible but it will almost definitely be a lot harder, it also largely depends on what you want to do, just remember you can go to college whenever the hell you want, it's not like if you don't go straight after high school you can never go, so maybe you could take a year or two after high school to just get a job (although probably not a good idea in todays economical climate) somewhere and figure out what you want to do and whether or not you will need college to get you there.
Ace_WondersX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ace_WondersX
Member since 2003 • 4455 Posts
College isn't a necessity for a successful life. It helps a lot, but you don't need to have a college education.sammyjenkis898
best answer
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

The military is a better deal than college right now anyway.

Free medical, free dental, free housing, free food, steady job, able promotion, you get to blow **** up, the GI Bill, good career, education opportunities.

Hopkins_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hopkins_J
Member since 2007 • 2030 Posts
I don't really want to take the basics all over. Math, Speech, English, etc... All over again...
_glatisant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _glatisant_
Member since 2008 • 1060 Posts

The only thing I can see myself being is a biologist. I can't think of anything I'd want to do that doesn't require higher education.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

If I wasn't in college, I'd probably end up working full time at Stop and Shop or some other chain store.

Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

College is important but its not the key for success at. Don't get me wrong, the benefits are great with a formal education, but its one's mind of creativity and expansion that leads to one success. So if you decide to find suuccess away from a college, good luck

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I don't plan on going to college, unless it's a community college sort of deal. I'll work a mediocre job that pays okay, then after I have kids (22-24) just either work at a bakery or cater out of my own home. I love cooking and baking, so its an easy, fun job for me.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

yeah thinking that if you go to college everything will be easy is one of the biggest illusions around.Here in greece people with medical,law and enginneering degrees are among the first in the unemployment lists.Some jobs have been oversaturated and people dont get to realize that.It's their parents fault sometime ,who in order to make them study tell them that if they dont go to college they'll end up poor.If you like it go,if you don't,don't.It's your life after all.If you know the tricks(and have some luck) you can succeed whatever you do.You can become a business man and make fortunes.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
You can work at factories, as salesmen, as customer support, as general office labor, as retail associate, as manual laborer for farms and construction. It's not hard to get a decent paying job without a degree, especially if you're a good salesman. You generally will have to work harder though and have no chance of moving into a decent management position or higher unless you have excellent connections. Seriously, less than half the country has gone to college... Do you think they are all garbage men? Let's be realistic here and not spout the Dept. of Education's propaganda.
thepwninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thepwninator
Member since 2006 • 8134 Posts
I don't plan on going to college, unless it's a community college sort of deal. I'll work a mediocre job that pays okay, then after I have kids (22-24) just either work at a bakery or cater out of my own home. I love cooking and baking, so its an easy, fun job for me.XilePrincess
22-24 kids is quite a few.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
I'ld become a computer technician, i'm quite good at building PCs and i enjoy it :)
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I don't plan on going to college, unless it's a community college sort of deal. I'll work a mediocre job that pays okay, then after I have kids (22-24) just either work at a bakery or cater out of my own home. I love cooking and baking, so its an easy, fun job for me.XilePrincess
I kind of like that idea myself. I'm going to be finishing up my bachelor's degree, but once I'm done I'd much rather have a job that I just enjoyed and could live off of rather than make tons of money.