What scares you in a movie?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Film-Guy
Member since 2007 • 26778 Posts
I have great news, I am soon going to start production on my first short horror film. Thing is I need you guys to help me out, what really creeps you out or scares you in a movie. I would appreciate serious answers, this is my first real film after all and I want to scare you:twisted:
Hom3_Pwn3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hom3_Pwn3r
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts

You can make anything scary, just give the plot a IQ of over 65.

Samwel_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Samwel_X
Member since 2006 • 13765 Posts

Him.

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts
random flashes of stuff you never thought would come at you. saw did it a lot, but im tame on horror. 28 weeks later when that girl busted in in the very beginning grabbing arms was intense, and those flashbacks he had that you didnt expect and the zombies starte screaming bleeding right in the camera, really sets you off for jumping.
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
What really annoys me is when a horror movie does a "OH-SHI-JUMP-OUT-OF-YOUR-SEAT" moment, when it was totally unnecessary. I love subtle psychological horror as it is presented in the Japanese version of the Grudge, or the Ring.
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Premier1101
and yays for a movie from Film-Guy! put it on youtube for us all, make sure you dedicate to OT as well. Is this in your blog yet?
SinkO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SinkO
Member since 2005 • 1908 Posts
Creepy kids.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Film-Guy

random flashes of stuff you never thought would come at you. saw did it a lot, but im tame on horror. 28 weeks later when that girl busted in in the very beginning grabbing arms was intense, and those flashbacks he had that you didnt expect and the zombies starte screaming bleeding right in the camera, really sets you off for jumping.Premier1101

I don't want to resort to jump scares though, i think psychological horror is the best way to creep out.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

What really annoys me is when a horror movie does a "OH-SHI-JUMP-OUT-OF-YOUR-SEAT" moment, when it was totally unnecessary. I love subtle psychological horror as it is presented in the Japanese version of the Grudge, or the Ring. super_mario_128
Yeah I hate that and it doesn't work on me anymore. I can basically predict when it is going to happen and when it does, I'm like wow..... how did I know they were going to do that?

Avatar image for bloody1f4knight
bloody1f4knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 bloody1f4knight
Member since 2006 • 4922 Posts
scary things
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Premier1101

[QUOTE="Premier1101"]random flashes of stuff you never thought would come at you. saw did it a lot, but im tame on horror. 28 weeks later when that girl busted in in the very beginning grabbing arms was intense, and those flashbacks he had that you didnt expect and the zombies starte screaming bleeding right in the camera, really sets you off for jumping.Film-Guy

I don't want to resort to jump scares though, i think psychological horror is the best way to creep out.

then a slow motion chase through a deserted warehouse full of hanging dead bodies and strewn rusted tools in near complete darkness with a girl that is helpless being chased by a guy with a plastic bag and rope for a couple minutes should be thrilling.

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="Premier1101"]random flashes of stuff you never thought would come at you. saw did it a lot, but im tame on horror. 28 weeks later when that girl busted in in the very beginning grabbing arms was intense, and those flashbacks he had that you didnt expect and the zombies starte screaming bleeding right in the camera, really sets you off for jumping.Film-Guy

Yeah don't do it.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts

Jump scares = bad

Anyone can pull those off.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts
Usually what scares me in a movie is seeing my favorite character's dying, but villains can also be creepy too.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Film-Guy

and yays for a movie from Film-Guy! put it on youtube for us all, make sure you dedicate to OT as well. Is this in your blog yet?Premier1101

Yep, and i will update it as much as possible:D

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 super_mario_128

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]What really annoys me is when a horror movie does a "OH-SHI-JUMP-OUT-OF-YOUR-SEAT" moment, when it was totally unnecessary. I love subtle psychological horror as it is presented in the Japanese version of the Grudge, or the Ring. smokeydabear076

Yeah I hate that and it doesn't work on me anymore. I can basically predict when it is going to happen and when it does, I'm like wow..... how did I know they were going to do that?

The best one's for me are when a character opens a closet door to get something out and when they close the door, somebody is behind it. I'm like, "Yeh, that's original right there." :|

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]

[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]What really annoys me is when a horror movie does a "OH-SHI-JUMP-OUT-OF-YOUR-SEAT" moment, when it was totally unnecessary. I love subtle psychological horror as it is presented in the Japanese version of the Grudge, or the Ring. super_mario_128

The best one's for me are when a character opens a closet door to get something out and when they close the door, somebody is behind it. I'm like, "Yeh, that's original right there." :|

Yeah.:lol:
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Premier1101

[QUOTE="Premier1101"]and yays for a movie from Film-Guy! put it on youtube for us all, make sure you dedicate to OT as well. Is this in your blog yet?Film-Guy

Yep, and i will update it as much as possible:D

youshould track me so I can keep up on updates too!
sovereign_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sovereign_22
Member since 2008 • 1190 Posts
movies dont really scare me, sorry im no help
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Premier1101"]random flashes of stuff you never thought would come at you. saw did it a lot, but im tame on horror. 28 weeks later when that girl busted in in the very beginning grabbing arms was intense, and those flashbacks he had that you didnt expect and the zombies starte screaming bleeding right in the camera, really sets you off for jumping.smokeydabear076

Yeah don't do it.

Probably the scariest scene in a movie I saw recently was in the film Kairo aka pulse the original korean version when a ghost was slowly walking towards somebody. There was barely any music or screamingm just that ghost slowly appraching the screen with her blank face:shock:

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 smokeydabear076
Don't have the good guys win and make it very clear that they didn't. A lot of "scary" movies do this... they have an ending sequence where the main character is living good after they got passed whatever hell they were put through and then you see that the bad guy is still alive or something like that. If you ask me that just seems cheesy. You should have the main character die or not escape whatever it is.
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 smokeydabear076
[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Yeah don't do it.

Probably the scariest scene in a movie I saw recently was in the film Kairo aka pulse the original korean version when a ghost was slowly walking towards somebody. There was barely any music or screamingm just that ghost slowly appraching the screen with her blank face:shock:

I have never seen the movie, but it sounds nice.
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Film-Guy

Don't have the good guys win and make it very clear that they didn't. A lot of "scary" movies do this... they have an ending sequence where the main character is living good after they got passed whatever hell they were put through and then you see that the bad guy is still alive or something like that. If you ask me that just seems cheesy. You should have the main character die or not escape whatever it is.smokeydabear076

yeah I dont plan on being nice to the main character:P If i have a killer in the movie do you think he should be the silent type, or the talking type?

Thorpe89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#24 Thorpe89
Member since 2004 • 16905 Posts
Just the moments you least expect for me.
maccer101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 maccer101
Member since 2005 • 4257 Posts
a silence.... then something just jumping out with a loud noise
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Premier1101

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]Don't have the good guys win and make it very clear that they didn't. A lot of "scary" movies do this... they have an ending sequence where the main character is living good after they got passed whatever hell they were put through and then you see that the bad guy is still alive or something like that. If you ask me that just seems cheesy. You should have the main character die or not escape whatever it is.Film-Guy

yeah I dont plan on being nice to the main character:P If i have a killer in the movie do you think he should be the silent type, or the talking type?

talking def, but if you gave him a voice that doesnt look to fit him, it could be amazing or really bad. No country had it so he talked a little abnormal, and look at its awards. But Xerxses has a balla voice, amazing for horror.

DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
When things jump out, and creepy sounds. Basically the first half hour of I Am Legend...
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]Don't have the good guys win and make it very clear that they didn't. A lot of "scary" movies do this... they have an ending sequence where the main character is living good after they got passed whatever hell they were put through and then you see that the bad guy is still alive or something like that. If you ask me that just seems cheesy. You should have the main character die or not escape whatever it is.Premier1101

talking def, but if you gave him a voice that doesnt look to fit him, it could be amazing or really bad. No country had it so he talked a little abnormal, and look at its awards. But Xerxses has a balla voice, amazing for horror.

I'm trying to decide what the killer should look like, I think some kind of creepy mask is in order, but of what kind i have no idea. I want it to look creepy yet original. Or maybe he should just look like a normal guy. Damn so many choices!

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 super_mario_128

A silent killer is what he should be. Michael Myers from Halloween, anyone? If he ahd spoken it would never have had the same effect.

What you must not do, however, is do the cliche type of chase scene where the good guy/gal escapes, seemingly by a good distance, turns around to view the area he/she had escaped, then turns around again to find the killer/ghost behind him. Gore then ensues, and this is something you should not look to do in this.

Some creepy music needs to be used, but nothing unnecessary, it needs to fit the mood of that you want in the scene. For example, don't use loud creepy music if the good person is supposed to be sneaking away. :P

smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 smokeydabear076

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]Don't have the good guys win and make it very clear that they didn't. A lot of "scary" movies do this... they have an ending sequence where the main character is living good after they got passed whatever hell they were put through and then you see that the bad guy is still alive or something like that. If you ask me that just seems cheesy. You should have the main character die or not escape whatever it is.Film-Guy

Hmm..... that's a hard one. I would have them talk, but not say much and don't have him explain everything at the end. Like "your mom killed my dad a long time ago so I'm trying to kill you." Not telling everything is a good idea if you ask me. So have them say stuff, but not a whole lot.
-SEBi-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -SEBi-
Member since 2008 • 180 Posts
Religion I think... Not that I really believe in it, but yeah religion..
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 super_mario_128

I'm trying to decide what the killer should look like, I think some kind of creepy mask is in order, but of what kind i have no idea. I want it to look creepy yet original. Or maybe he should just look like a normal guy. Damn so many choices!

Film-Guy

To be honest, I think it would be better if we don't even see the killer at all. Where is this scene going to take place? A haunted house? A warehouse?

Avatar image for chicken_slasher
chicken_slasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chicken_slasher
Member since 2008 • 817 Posts
commercials that randomly come up in intense scenes... god i hate that
Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Film-Guy
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

super_mario_128

To be honest, I think it would be better if we don't even see the killer at all. Where is this scene going to take place? A haunted house? A warehouse?

Well I'm either going to film it at my house, which is a medium sized 2 story house with a creepy looking under the house area and a large almost acre sized garden with lot of trees. Or my friends house which is basically a suburb in valencia, california. I could film it somewhere else, but these places are more convenient, I cant decide what would work better.

super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 super_mario_128
Well, I guess if the camera-work is ok, then you could make it so you only show shadows or silhouettes of the bad guy. But I don't know what you're aiming at in this film. I hope my suggestions are helping. :P
Rockclmbr6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rockclmbr6
Member since 2004 • 3232 Posts
Movies that scare me the most is when you take generally likable characters and put them in a situation that seems completely unescapable. Built up dread and fear of the unknown combined with that helpless feeling really puts me on the edge of my seat.

Examples: The Mist, 28 Days/Weeks Later, The Descent, Cloverfield (say what you want about the camera, it's got some of the most intense scenes I've ever seen), and the first 2/3 of I Am Legend.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Use of sound. Like in Signs, add the fear of the unknown and creepy sounds, be it random alien voices picked up on a baby monitor, or something trying to get in.
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Premier1101
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

Well I'm either going to film it at my house, which is a medium sized 2 story house with a creepy looking under the house area and a large almost acre sized garden with lot of trees. Or my friends house which is basically a suburb in valencia, california. I could film it somewhere else, but these places are more convenient, I cant decide what would work better.

Mask: paper mache' that was horribly done and painted black, or one of those I talinan maks that have feathers and are white, google it, or maybe a football helmet backwards with three boxes chopped in front for eyes and mouth. Something you have to find if you can: colored contacts!! pure black or bright green def be sweet. I say film in the neighborhood, shots seem to come naturally in places you are familiar with.

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Film-Guy

Well, I guess if the camera-work is ok, then you could make it so you only show shadows or silhouettes of the bad guy. But I don't know what you're aiming at in this film. I hope my suggestions are helping. :Psuper_mario_128

I don't think i will really show the bad guy in the movie at all. What I want to do is have a character in the movie be looking around or walking somwhere and then behind him or her you see a human figure, not full or anything but you can see it. Then maybe while a character is walking down a hallway you see a dark figure behind her following her, no music or jump scares and she doesnt die yet, but you know he is there and it has you hopefully on the edge of your seat looking to see what the figure does.

Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Premier1101
okay, if the "killer" has the kill set up kinda like saw had what people would planned out and have all of her outs tied off, like she wakes up to the sound of the door opening, sees wierd footsteps in her plush doorstep carpet, and goes to the phone, to see it cut, then rushes up to her room lookin for her cell, and cant find it. (Add openign shot to be her in bed and the cellphone is on the night stand, then come back to it being gone, wicked!!) Then have her rush to lock the door, curl up in her bed shivering, see a shadow coming from the closet, have her notice and step away, wary that a guy is in there and slowly back to the door, open it without looking and see her being grabbed and pulled off and the killer puts her out with the back to camera, and then drags her body out of camera shot. THAT would be sweet.
Dmw09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dmw09
Member since 2004 • 757 Posts

an underwater scene , SPIDERS

Sora529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Sora529
Member since 2006 • 3755 Posts
TBH, I'm not really scared by movies. More, disturbed.
DuskyDawny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DuskyDawny
Member since 2008 • 309 Posts

Dolls and Pauly Shore [/serious post]

legend26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 legend26
Member since 2007 • 16010 Posts

pyscological horror is best, stuff that will make you think after you leave the thearter, alittle gore never hurts to (just dont try make it goreporn)

and a really evil villian, im not talking "muhahaha take over the world!" villian. i mean a real horrible villian, someone who would do the most horrible disgusting evil things ever thought up. imagine cannible lector+the serial killer in no country for old men, and multiply that 50 times!

EDIT

also the guys from clockwork orange!!! those are true killers!

Film-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Film-Guy

an underwater scene , SPIDERS

Dmw09

What about an underwater spider scene?

Moroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 Moroes
Member since 2008 • 2041 Posts
Err uhh... what do you call them *slaps knee* screamers, thats it.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

Traditional horror is about as frightening as an antique collection of victorian spoons - they all rely on utterly pathetic shock devices that are tediously predictable. Fear is mostly a product of self-preservation, and I find it utterly impossible to feel frightened when I am in absolutely no danger in any way - or when I have absolutely no emotional connection with the people who are in danger.

That's why I think shooting something entirely in the first person would make anything much, much more immersive and frightening as a film experience. I've never seen a first person film before, but I think the potention is extremely good - especially horror.

But I do find total brain**** films like Eraserhead disturbing enough to compare it almost with fear.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

There are about a hundred techniques, none of which I can consider myself an expert on, and most of which have lost their shock value since their introduction.

I have only been shocked once in a movie and that was in 1408, when the protagonist is looking across the hotel street and some sort of creature is shown coming behind him with a lamp in the reflection. So, any sort of suspense using reflections such as mirrors would work. Just make sure the image is crystal clear.

I actually think the scariest a movie can be is by creating a real environment that the audience can automatically relate. For example, having a child with an abusive father around after the audience sees the child break the rule and have her guilty conscious build up in the tension that her father will start abusing her again. I know it's not really a horror movie but I have to have the suspension of disbelief for it to work as a consumer.

Darth_Tyrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Darth_Tyrev
Member since 2005 • 7072 Posts
An opening credit that reads "A Michael Bay film".