What is your Relegion?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#101 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Atheist....
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocky32189"]You would no longer have people waging war or killing innocents solely in the name religious difference.Theokhoth
Because that's the one thing that would change in the absence of religion. Not like atheists ever killed anybody.

not "solely in the name religious difference" (in large numbers)
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="Rocky32189"]You would no longer have people waging war or killing innocents solely in the name religious difference.smc91352
Because that's the one thing that would change in the absence of religion. Not like atheists ever killed anybody.

I guess 20th century Communism never happened. That was only, oh, 200 million people and dozens of pieces of historical architecture, art and literature in the span of seven decades.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts

[QUOTE="smc91352"][QUOTE="Theokhoth"]Because that's the one thing that would change in the absence of religion. Not like atheists ever killed anybody.Theokhoth

I guess 20th century Communism never happened. That was only, oh, 200 million people and dozens of pieces of historical architecture, art and literature in the span of seven decades.

The point is that if everyone has the same beliefs about something, there will no longer be disagreements over such beliefs. And universal atheism is the only path to stop these disagreements. Religion will always lead to separation within that specific religion, creating new religions and disagreements. Atheists essentially don't have beliefs in terms of religion, therefore there can be no separation on the issue. There is no denying that religious difference has been one of (if not the greatest) factor in war and disagreements throughout history. Taking this away could only be for the better.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

[QUOTE="smc91352"]not "solely in the name religious difference" (in large numbers)Rocky32189

The point is that if everyone has the same beliefs about something, there will no longer be disagreements over such beliefs. And universal atheism is the only path to stop these disagreements. Religion will always lead to separation within that specific religion, creating new religions and disagreements. Atheists essentially don't have beliefs in terms of religion, therefore there can be no separation on the issue. There is no denying that religious difference has been one of (if not the greatest) factor in war and disagreements throughout history. Taking this away could only be for the better.

What? There are New Atheists, agnostics, Nihlists, strong atheists, weak atheists, freethinkers, the "brights" movement, rationalists, secular humanists, Zen Buddhists, Jainists, dystheists and other types of atheism. The only unifying belief is in the lack of deities--just like the unifying belief in Christianity is the divinity of Jesus.

If everybody believed the same thing then we'd all believe the same thing. It'd kinda suck. Religion doesn't solely cause conflict and taking it away would not have the sole effect of ending conflict.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

When Bertrand Russel was making his entry into his prison, a guard asked: "Whats your religion?"; he answered "I'm an agnostic". The guardgently replied something like this: "I guess we all believe in some kind of god, eh!", Russel laughed. Why? Because its true. Most of those who call themselves atheists have established a god for themselves and don't realize it yet - in essence atheism is just another religion. Given that science, despite of the empirical methods (largely insuficient nowadays) establishesonly half-truths or provisory explanations one can say that all scientifictheory is in fact a myth. Whenever one takes the scientific explanation as 'the' truth it starts beingan act of faith, its ancient filosofic knowledge that the only assured personal truth is that of faith... So when people ask:"Whatsyourreligion?", andone replys: "I'm Atheist"; i can'thelp myself not laugh. Why? Because its true, thats Your Religion. No wonder 'atheists' are the mosteager to label themselves as such.

With that in mind i think we are living horrible times, Religious intolerance is going through the roofs nowadays, and not only with muslims but with catholics, umbanda, candomblé, evangelics and hell lets not even start talking about scientology. There use to be a time when discussing Religon was unpolite: seens like everyone left their manners in hell!

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

When Bertrand Russel was making his entry into his prison, a guard asked: "Whats your religion?"; he answered "I'm an agnostic". The guardgently replied something like this: "I guess we all believe in some kind of god, eh!", Russel laughed. Why? Because its true. Most of those who call themselves atheists have established a god for themselves and don't realize it yet - in essence atheism is just another religion. Given that science, despite of the empirical methods (largely insuficient nowadays) establishesonly half-truths or provisory explanations one can say that all scientifictheory is in fact a myth. Whenever one takes the scientific explanation as 'the' truth it starts beingan act of faith, its ancient filosofic knowledge that the only assured personal truth is that of faith... So when people ask:"Whatsyourreligion?", andone replys: "I'm Atheist"; i can'thelp myself not laugh. Why? Because its true, thats Your Religion. No wonder 'atheists' are the mosteager to label themselves as such.

With that in mind i think we are living horrible times, Religious intolerance is going through the roofs nowadays, and not only with muslims but with catholics, umbanda, candomblé, evangelics and hell lets not even start talking about scientology. There use to be a time when discussing Religon was unpolite: seens like everyone left their manners in hell!

Masculus

I think you have a weird interpretation of what a scientific fact or hypothesis is. It is an explanation that is an attempt to piece together all of the epistomological variables and perceptions within a known natural framework. It doesn't take any belief. This is the argument many theists take because it can't be proven. We see reality as we perceieve it. That is exactly what science is based off of. IF you want to philosphize that we are hooked up to a gigantic machine and we are being experimented on by that dude that lives across the hall you are perfectly welcome to but an argument like that has absolutely no basis in perceptual reality which science is based off of. The fact is that we percieve it. Our explanations are based on what we percieve. That's what science is. IF we are hooked up to a mass biologicqal network by some noodly creaure with a chest that looks similar to two meat balls then we are but that still does nto take away from the reality that we percieve what we do and we try and explain what we perceieve.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#108 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Non-religious. But my views best align with Buddhism I guess.

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Agnostic atheist.
stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

I have spent 21 years of my life being an Agnostic and decided to become a Christian. I have been a Christian now for 20 years.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Pastafarian, the one true religion.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

Atheist. I draw all my morals from Spiderman instead of religion and I think it's worked out swell.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

Well, there's nothing wrong with that. Spidey's a cool dude always helping people. :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

Atheist. I draw all my morals from Spiderman instead of religion and I think it's worked out swell.

darkmoney52

You should draw your orals from Batrman. *Goes to war with you because of differing beliefs*

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
So many spelling mistakes! Anyway I belong to no religion.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

[QUOTE="darkmoney52"]

BumFluff122

You should draw your orals from Batrman. *Goes to war with you because of differing beliefs*

*comes to back up Bumfluff....*:P
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

I beleive in many aspects of the Shinto religion and Buddhism, but I consider myself agnostic.

-Vulpix-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 -Vulpix-
Member since 2008 • 2564 Posts

I guess I belong to christianity. Since I've been a christian all of my life.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

[QUOTE="darkmoney52"]

BumFluff122

Heathen! You speak the dark one's lies!
ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

Non-religious. But my views best align with Buddhism I guess.

foxhound_fox

I dare say you know Buddhism better than many self-proclaimed Buddhists out there.

On topic: I consider myself a lay-Buddhist

adv_tr00per

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 adv_tr00per
Member since 2006 • 2605 Posts

Islam, but I'm not very religious.

conistant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 conistant
Member since 2008 • 2169 Posts
I was brought up as a muslim but now after learning about the degradation of humanity and the constant wars happening all around the world I'm starting to lose hope.If god really loves us so much then why doesn't he stop all this.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#123 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I dare say you know Buddhism better than many self-proclaimed Buddhists out there.

On topic: I consider myself a lay-Buddhist

ariz3260

At one point in my past, when I started learning about Buddhism academically, I was a self-proclaimed Buddhist... but now I'm just non-religious. I tend to lean towards atheism/non-theism and many of the Buddhist concepts concerning the universe tend to agree with what I think. But I don't like "allying" myself with any particular religion and want to find my own path.

I really like this quote from the Kalama sutra:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

ariz3260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ariz3260
Member since 2006 • 4209 Posts

At one point in my past, when I started learning about Buddhism academically, I was a self-proclaimed Buddhist... but now I'm just non-religious. I tend to lean towards atheism/non-theism and many of the Buddhist concepts concerning the universe tend to agree with what I think. But I don't like "allying" myself with any particular religion and want to find my own path.

I really like this quote from the Kalama sutra:

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

foxhound_fox

I have read something similar to that in the past... I believe that is intended for people who possess a certain level of understanding in Buddhism. It is essentially telling the practitioner to search for and experience the "truth" for him/herself, instead of relying on any sources... be it other people or scriptures.

This is a big reason I consider myself a lay-Buddhist, on one hand I know I probably won't ever practice it the fashion a real monk does, also I am more driven to its philosophy and its teaching and am striving to improve myself through those knowledge rather than holding the belief that various Buddhas and Bodhisattvas definitely exist and base my faith on their existence... IMO that's the wrong way to go about it. The main goal of religion to me is its positive effect on people, not its belief system/ideology.

ordinarydot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ordinarydot
Member since 2009 • 133 Posts

Never thought that there were "many" fellow moslem here. I'm moslem too, but i only notice 3 person in the post while 16 in the poll atm. It's unfortunate, i want to know who are my brothers here.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
muslim here
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I'm agnostic, but honestly I've found Buddhism and Satanism to be most interesting.

loft8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 loft8000
Member since 2008 • 1435 Posts

nothing. religon is sickening.

Good-Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Good-Apollo
Member since 2007 • 751 Posts
Christianity, islam, judaism etc, I hate them all.
hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts

The correct one.

Oleg_Huzwog
I appreciate the satircal nature of this comment. Harharhar
deimos113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#131 deimos113
Member since 2007 • 516 Posts
A form of Wicca and Norse paganism
MystikFollower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 MystikFollower
Member since 2009 • 4061 Posts

I'm still undecided in what a lot of my specific views would be considered. I'm kinda learning and studying all the major religions since I believe that's there is truth to be gained from every belief and that all the small parts can help make up one bigger whole. I guess you could file me under New Age Spirituality in that case. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus the Savior, but I don't believe in Satan, Hell, reincarnation, and certain stories and ideals in the Bible. I'm just learning and learning and letting my soul pull towards where I'm supposed to be heading.

shani_boy101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 shani_boy101
Member since 2006 • 5423 Posts

I'm a Theravada Buddhist.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I'm agnostic, but I'm fairly open-minded.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
That's an interesting map. I'm an Atheist.
ASRCSR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#136 ASRCSR
Member since 2008 • 2793 Posts

Sikh but according to you map i'm christian as is the rest of Canada.

RearNakedChoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 RearNakedChoke
Member since 2009 • 1699 Posts

Atheist.

MrsSolidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 MrsSolidSnake
Member since 2009 • 5003 Posts

Roman Catholic so I chose Christian.

-Y2J-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 -Y2J-
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts
i'm muslim, the poll suggests more but not many muslims leaving any comments
Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Wow..lots of atheists...as for me..i'm Christian..

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#141 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Christianity but lacking faith.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

I wouldn't put myself under any from of belief, but if I had to I would say I'm a Nihilist.

Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#143 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I have spent 21 years of my life being an Agnostic and decided to become a Christian. I have been a Christian now for 20 years.

stepnkev

What moved you to become Christian after 21 years?

gun65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 gun65
Member since 2004 • 3312 Posts

Christian.

White_wolf_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 White_wolf_eye
Member since 2009 • 2886 Posts

Wasnt expecting so little jewish.

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts

Officially, Roman Catholic. But to be honest I don't know what I believe in anymore.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#147 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Well I'm a catholic Seminarian studying for the priesthood.. take a guess.
Avatar image for SLIisaownsystem
SLIisaownsystem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 SLIisaownsystem
Member since 2009 • 964 Posts

I am an Evangelical Christian. Most people who voted no religion still got baptized and are only in a phase.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#149 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

Officially, Roman Catholic. But to be honest I don't know what I believe in anymore.

ragek1ll589

Same here.

Avatar image for master_hookshot
master_hookshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 master_hookshot
Member since 2006 • 429 Posts

Roman Catholic, and as such I have the right to say that NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! But on a serious note, it wasnt very good and we're not proud of it.