What do you think to the new f1 cars?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

There have Been complaints that they are to quiet, and races have threatened to leave formula1 because fans are complaining.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Part of an appeal of a fast car is its roaring engine sound, so I understand how fans don't like the change. However, it's supposed to reduce emissions, so I can't really say it's a bad change.

On an unrelated note, I miss those indycar sounds circa 2003-2008. Those made awesome sounds on an oval speedway.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ariabed

@one_plum: they actually state the the noise from the car is energy being wasted.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

i understand their reasons for going w/ the v6 turbo but for the sheer entertainment value of the sport ( it is just entertainment after all ) i miss the sounds of previous generation normally aspirated engines. went to montreal a few years back for the canadian gp and the sounds those engines put out were crazy.

i wouldn't call it fan fussyness. as i mentioned, f1 is ultimately an entertainment product. if there are aspects of the sport that make it less entertaining to the fans, the fans may take their attention ( and $$ ) elsewhere.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 35cent
Member since 2008 • 934 Posts

I do think it was necessary to switch to the V6 turbos as Renualt and Mercedes probably would have pulled out of F1 if they kept the V8s but I do think they should try to make the cars louder. Everyone that I know that has seen an F1 car running talk about the noise the most and that was what made the biggest impression on me when I first heard one.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ariabed

@35cent: just slightly off subject, do you think it's skill in the garage that creates the fastest f1 car or is it just lucky if a certain teams car happens to be faster than the rest.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 35cent

@ariabed: There would be an element of luck when the regulations are changed. Teams just do the best job they can and hope for the best. But ultimately skill and engineering prowess creates the best F1 cars

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@ariabed:

Your first statement saying the cars put out more power isn't totally correct, the engines put out ~630HP and the ERS system puts out 130HP, so while the drivetrain is a total 760HP.

The V8's had ~740HP (550kw) and an additional 60HP from KERS, totalling ~800HP, so the drivetrain isn't more powerful, its actually a lot less.

On the other hand, the cars have a ton of torque, and they are faster in a straight-line because they don't have as much downforce as before, something like 12% less downforce compared to 2013.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ariabed

@GTR12: I stand corrected, still an impressive engine though, very innovative.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 comp_atkins

red bull made a really nice video explaining the 2014 changes.

Loading Video...

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ariabed

@comp_atkins: what is the reason for the changes I wonder? Is it to bring cost down, is it to make things safer, is it to make the sport more environmentally friendly. I guess it's all of the above.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 comp_atkins

@ariabed said:

@comp_atkins: what is the reason for the changes I wonder? Is it to bring cost down, is it to make things safer, is it to make the sport more environmentally friendly. I guess it's all of the above.

yeah. its usually an all of the above type of thing. as well as make the races more competitive to improve the "spectacle" of the sport

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Hearing a ultra-high performance gasoline engine rev to 18,000 rpm is a thing of beauty. Part of the appeal of race car driving has been the sounds the cars emit.

But really, just slap a straight pipe on it and you'll hear it for miles.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ariabed

@foxhound_fox: yeah I must admit I do love the sound of a good engine.

This is pretty serious though Races are threatening to leave formula one and are going to go with Indy cars instead which cost half the price to run, Bernie Ecclestone said he will sue the FIA( who approved the new engines) if this happens. Not looking good.

I didn't think the cars sounded that bad but I guess the lack of sound is more noticeable at the track.

35cent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 35cent
Loading Video...

You've all probably seen this before but this illustrates the difference in volume nicely.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@35cent said:
Loading Video...

You've all probably seen this before but this illustrates the difference in volume nicely.

That is a surprising difference... and the 2013 sounds sends shivers down my spine (like the Pagani Cinque does). 2014 generates no reaction. It sounds dull and lifeless.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ariabed

@35cent: hmmm, I don't know, everyone in the 2013 crowd has ear protectors on, so the cars engines would maybe sound like how 2014 cars sound without ear tectors.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Sounds like woman's F1.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GTR12

@ariabed:

They are sitting really close, you need ear protection.

Also for anyone wondering, the new powertrains are needed because F1 is always meant to be cutting-edge of tech, the V8's only had ~750HP, there are cars with that which also have that, and LaFerarri is just 1 example of a road car having KERS and an Engine which has >900HP. F1 isn't about road cars, no matter what happens.

The V6 is more efficient and there only being 1 other car with a V6 producing 1000HP (UGR GTR with 3.8l), its a step up in terms of engineering creativity needed.

In 5-6yrs we will probably have all new cars with a ERS in them, which means F1 changing again...

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ariabed

@GTR12: I'm sorry I may have misunderstood you, but don't all the new cars already have an ERS in them.

If formula 1 has to stay at the cutting edge of innovation, what do you reckon the f1 cars will be like in say 10-20 years?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By comp_atkins

@ariabed said:

@GTR12: I'm sorry I may have misunderstood you, but don't all the new cars already have an ERS in them.

If formula 1 has to stay at the cutting edge of innovation, what do you reckon the f1 cars will be like in say 10-20 years?

fully autonomous racing would be cool

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GTR12

@ariabed:

I meant "new cars" as in road going cars you see everyday and drive, something along the lines of a Toyota Camry coming standing with (K)ERS, we don't have that yet...

F1 technology is meant to trickle down into our cars we drive everyday, F1 is like the alpha testing phase of development, then the hypercars (like LaFerrari) is the beta testing phase, then we regular consumers get them in our cars.

10-20yrs, I would imagine some sort of hydrogen power or new battery technology which lasts for a full race weekend, but who knows :p

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ariabed

@comp_atkins: fully autonomous formula1 cars, I have heard of machines taking jobs away from humans but that takes the biscuit. In that case we could have whole formula one teams being run by computers, they would be able to engineer and manufacture their own cars, to the highest efficiency, they could then drive them on the track collect the telemetry, and adjust the car on the fly, even manage and execute pit stops.