What do you think the GS staff thinks about the forum communities?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I am referring to all the various boards, not just OT. Some members have been suggesting that the GS staff is becoming more confrontational and displeased with the forum communities. Do you think that is the case or do you think it is overblown? Do you think they enjoy the various posters and their viewpoints? Or do you think they view it as a necessary evil to maintain the site's popularity? Basically is it a chore, a pleasure, or both?

Working withthe publicon a daily basis can be frustrating at times. My career is such where I have to do that - most of the time I'm happy, but there are always jerks and other crazies that can just ruin your day. I've had my share of people that complain about me - all unjustly of course. :P Nobody likes to be criticized even if it is "contructive". It's hard to not take such criticism personally. What are your thoughts?

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I always thought that they didn't really care about the forums or the community.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
I didn't know they paid much attention here TBH....
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

I don't think they think.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
deactivated-5c37d3adcd094

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c37d3adcd094
Member since 2006 • 8362 Posts
Either they don't think about us or they do and don't really give a fvck.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
my impression is that they probably don't give a crap because they don't even interact with anybody... as far as i know
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

"Oh great, these assh*les are complaining about something stupid again"

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I think Staff is cool like Clint Eastwood and we are all punks.
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Always assumed they were indifferent.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts
as long as they're generating ad/subscription revenue i doubt they care much.
LaytonsCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 LaytonsCat
Member since 2010 • 3652 Posts

I think they are starting to get angry, it seems like they don't want any of the old people left

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Staff is a dick.Jandurin
I mean the Staff not Staff, the account.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I dont think they think of anything or that the personality behind staff is genuine.

They are just being intentionally a dick to sort of make us regret the ToU changes that were pushed on the community. Like a taste of our own medicine or something. That's my take.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]Staff is a dick.sonicare
I mean the Staff not Staff, the account.

Staff as Synthia and Jody seems to care, but not the account staff.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#17 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

It tends to vary from forum to forum since they tend to be… unique experiences across the board. Usually we're happy when you're happy so we listen to your feed back and try and make the changes you want to see.

Other times I sympathies with the pain of using the site when its broken all to pieces and so the hate and bile directed towards me is taken with a grain of salt (and sometimes a twist of lime and a shot of tequila).

And then of course there are the moments where I become fully aware that there are a great many users that will never be happy regardless of what changes are made, when they're made, how their enforced… and even if those changes were made the rest would turn into a bunch of whiners (and often do).

Some users....

Finally, I come to terms with the fact that you can't make everyone happy but damn it all I'll keep trying no matter how many users tell me I "don't really care" :P

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JML897

It tends to very from forum to forum since they tend to be… unique experiences across the board. Synthia

System Wars makes you want to bash your head against a wall, right?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

No one is happy/pleased with Staff. That is the single most baffling case of PR incompetence I've seen to date. An account with the purpose of deiliberately p!ssing off as many users possible? For the love of Jesus. Anyway, Adblock Plus'd Synthia for use of Ponies.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JodyR
Member since 2005 • 16454 Posts

Here's what I think, but I am only one of many.

Many forums on the internet have specific purposes. For GameSpot in particular, I find that certain areas of the site (unions, ucb, game boards, and our main boards like off-topic) have different types of people that frequent there. These people make the environment special to me.

Many discussions in the forums have interesting insights because of the people who frequent them. Each person that posts might have some different kinds of ideas or opinions or they can find what you said and spin it into another idea/concept.

I find that the people who don't go with the flow in a topic attract my attention because they are not agreeing with everything and everyone. Those who provide different opinions kind of remind me of a type of devil's advocate (sort of like a curveball nobody thought about). But, then there are reasons to completely agree with someone's opinion, so the ones that provide their responses in a certain manner might also attract my attention.

I would say that the Off-topic forum has some people who respond and I enjoy reading what they say. Recently, System Wars has had even more posters that have caught my attention than before, thanks to the recent interaction I had in their lounge last week.

And, as you can see, a staff icon next to my name, people who don't treat me special compared to others often grabs my attention, and not in a good way. I might have access to see what bad things people have done but the reality is, some people with extensive moderation histories in the past (former policies marks with sarcastic troll remarks) were often the guy that made me laugh. Just because people troll on the internet, this does not mean they have sinned (which is what our old policies were about).

We've desired to upgrade these forums to assist with certain needs like ignoring and profanity filter options, but it looks like we just can't get the changes done fast enough to meet the needs of those who need them immediately.

So what do I think about forum communities? While forums might be considered as a waste of time (time sink) and ancient in today's Twitter/Facebook/Social media limelight, I disagree with those who claim this opinion about forums.

But, on a related note, I hope people like sonicare and Teenaged (calling you out because I liked your posts in here) can stick around during our maintenance of the site. I do end up missing familiar usernames on the site, but just like real life, people come and they go. We can't force anyone to stay. We can only say farewell and welcome back. We make new friends along the way, but we'll miss those who cannot pioneer with us and have the courage to accept change.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Teenaged

[...] Teenaged (calling you out because I liked your posts in here) [...]

JodyR

You no longer do?

Anyway as for the two issues that I usually whine/complain about here's what I think:

Users leaving: in this case (xaos and scorch) it mostly had to do with the Staff account for me. I dont know who is behind it and other than the assumption I once or twice made about it being Drac, it doesnt really matter to me (who is behind it). The point is that imo it has gone too far and I dont think that my opinion is just the result of you guys not being able to please everyone. Far from it.

Glitches: I personally dont know who is responsible about the technical issue of the site.

Conclusion: the reason I (and others I assume) sometimes whine is because I hope someone who can do something about those things will pay attention. Not to threaten that I am leaving. Especially the glitches, if they were the only problem the site has, could never be the reason I leave.

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts
Oh, I'm sure they don't like me... :P
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 digitaldame

You no longer do?

Teenaged
She still does, she just tends to use past tense :P
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JodyR

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

You no longer do?

Synthia

She still does, she just tends to use past tense :P

I'm a past tense sinner. I say things like "I liked the way you played that game." Doesn't mean I no longer like the way he/she played....

By the way, if you're interested in seeing change, I'll give you a hint.... check below the On the Spot live show video player today. ;)

Slow_Show

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Slow_Show
Member since 2011 • 2018 Posts

No one is happy/pleased with Staff. That is the single most baffling case of PR incompetence I've seen to date. An account with the purpose of deiliberately p!ssing off as many users possible? For the love of Jesus. Anyway, Adblock Plus'd Synthia for use of Ponies.

coolbeans90

This. Normally I'd give the admin team the benefit of the doubt and say they're just trying to make the best of a bad situation (it's a thankless job at the best of times, and I can't imagine community management is much of a priority for their CBS overlords beyond "keep subscription revenues up"), but the Staff account has been so thoroughly abused that it's destroyed every modicum of goodwill.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I seem to be one of the few to weather the effects of the ToU change almost indifferently.
digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 digitaldame

Oh, I'm sure they don't like me... :Pcodymcclain14
I dunno, its hard for me to want to dislike someone with good taste in music ;)

[spoiler] PS I'm sooo gonna go see Asking Alexandria this summer lml ^_^ lml [/spoiler]

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 codymcclain14
[QUOTE="codymcclain14"]Oh, I'm sure they don't like me... :PSynthia

Wait... are you just saying that to make me feel better? Since everyone else hates my Metalcore? -.-
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LJS9502_basic
I seem to be one of the few to weather the effects of the ToU change almost indifferently.foxhound_fox
I really haven't noticed much from staff TBH....so I'm not sure if the problem is widespread or only a select few.
codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 codymcclain14
I just seen your edit, so I'm sure you're for-reall! :D Thanks f***ing awesome! :D I'm also planing on going and seeing them this summer! ^.^
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I really haven't noticed much from staff TBH....so I'm not sure if the problem is widespread or only a select few.LJS9502_basic
I noticed it a lot last year... but it seems almost non-existent now. He/She/It was almost always posting in threads all over the place.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JML897

I seem to be one of the few to weather the effects of the ToU change almost indifferently.foxhound_fox

I'm with you. I do like that I can express my opinions a little more freely now, though.

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 digitaldame
[QUOTE="Synthia"][QUOTE="codymcclain14"]Oh, I'm sure they don't like me... :Pcodymcclain14

Wait... are you just saying that to make me feel better? Since everyone else hates my Metalcore? -.-

Nope, serious and for true. For example: I've seen 5FDP 3 times in concert and have a mini poster signed by them.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I think gamespot spent a long time shaping this community to be overrun by oversensitive crybabies and then they saw the error in thier ways and decided to fix it. I for one am glad to be seeing all of those users QQ.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged

Oh wow... not only did xaos' blog get edited, now they edit his GS level as well.

Really? Is this the way staff wants to portray themselves? It comes off as childish to me.

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 codymcclain14

[QUOTE="codymcclain14"][QUOTE="Synthia"] I dunno, its hard for me to want to dislike someone with good taste in music ;)Synthia

Nope, serious and for true. For example: I've seen 5FDP 3 times in concert and have a mini poster signed by them.

That's awesome. :}

Me and my friends are planning on going to warped tour to see AA and nearly allof our otherfavorite bands at once. Lol.

But yeah, that's still cool. ^.^

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I really haven't noticed much from staff TBH....so I'm not sure if the problem is widespread or only a select few.foxhound_fox
I noticed it a lot last year... but it seems almost non-existent now. He/She/It was almost always posting in threads all over the place.

Hmm...I saw that a few times but I thought it was because they were announcing the change. I could be wrong though....I didn't read much of staff's posts.:P
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JML897

Oh wow... not only did xaos' blog get edited, now they edit his GS level as well.

Really? Is this the way staff wants to portray themselves? It comes off as childish to me.

Teenaged

wtf :lol:

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JodyR

No one is happy/pleased with Staff. coolbeans90
This isn't actually true though. I see mixed feelings about him. People love or hate him. But, people love or hate me. People also love or hate many of our editors. It is the internet.

You do have to understand that I have a different perspective than many people who deal with content on the internet. I've met many people that use GameSpot.com and I've also met gamers who were jerks to me in the games.

GameSpot users I have met in person since 2005 at different lans/conventions/tournament events have been asked about former circumstances with them (because I have a good memory). When asking them about these circumstances the majority have told me that it was either a misunderstanding or they were trying to get staff's attention. /shrug

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JodyR

Teenaged
xaos lists as 56 - Mr. X for me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Hopefully they realize it's the only legitimate reason for coming to Gamespot. The actualy "Game" part, reviews, news, insight, etc... is just a huge joke.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"] No one is happy/pleased with Staff. JodyR

This isn't actually true though. I see mixed feelings about him. People love or hate him. But, people love or hate me. People also love or hate many of our editors. It is the internet.

You do have to understand that I have a different perspective than many people who deal with content on the internet. I've met many people that use GameSpot.com and I've also met gamers who were jerks to me in the games.

GameSpot users I have met in person since 2005 at different lans/conventions/tournament events have been asked about former circumstances with them (because I have a good memory). When asking them about these circumstances the majority have told me that it was either a misunderstanding or they were trying to get staff's attention. /shrug

what
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127526 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

JodyR

Level 2 Journeyman for me.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Teenaged

[QUOTE="JodyR"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

horgen123

Same.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="JodyR"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

horgen123

Quite a jump....
JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JodyR
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="JodyR"] xaos lists as 56 - Mr. X for me.

Quite a jump....

Weird. He's definitely level 56 for me.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Teenaged

I'm pretty sure the impression of Staff on users he is talking about is about recent events. Not 2005.

I've only seen a couple users profess they like Staff recently just because they enjoy seeing a dick make others whine about... him being a dick.

JodyR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JodyR
whatJandurin
What?
Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts
Either disinterest or faint contempt depending on the staff member. Bring back Bethany M.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

This isn't actually true though.

Don't delude yourself; the reaction is overwhelmingly negative and you are fully aware of it. I have yet to see a single poster praise him. The account accomplishes nothing except alienate the community from the administration for a few kicks and giggles on your part. Not exactly the response a community relations liaison should elicit. The part which baffles me the most is how you have not picked up on it despite quite a handful of your own moderators expressing discontent with it. The account is a categorically stupid idea.