What do you think should be done about the obesity rate in America.

• 182 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity

America has one of the highest obesity rates in the world. I'm from nyc by the way...so when i goto the beaches such as Jones beach in long island or Coney island in brooklyn most beach goers are overweight. I'm sure in Miami it's most likely different and people are more fit there. Even in my college...most of my professors are plus size and both the men and women need to wear xx large. Even my neighbors...i see them drinking cases and cases of beer on their patio while eating fast food such as hot wings, boxes and boxes. People don't seem like they care...it's like smoking...they know it's bad but don't care. Maybe there should be a mandatory class in high schools just like how there is a sex-ed. class in high school. I mean i don't even think it's hard to be fit, it just takes 2-3 monthes dedication max unless you're over the edge. Obesity leads to a shorter life expentency which means the government saves money on social security and retirement money. So what do you think of heavy people and a better question is what should be done?

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts

hmmm taking vending machines out of elementary schools is a start.. also its up to the parents.. the reason people were "in shape" in the 50s and 60s is because people ate better

scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
This may sound crazy, but I propose we murder Ronald McDonald. It's a long-shot, but it would be worth it if we succeed.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts

Absolutely nothing, let nature take care of it.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

Honestly I think its due to lack of exercise. They have had unhealthy food for years. If people would stop being lazy and go join a sport, or lift weights or something, Americas obesity rate would be way lower.

Superbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Superbored
Member since 2008 • 1187 Posts

Make things closer together so walking is a viable option.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

Make things closer together so walking is a viable option.

Superbored

so like...maybe higher gas prices and bunch everything up

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
"People don't seem like they care...it's like smoking...they know it's bad but don't care". The exact reason we shouldn't do anything about it. Who gives a crap what other people are doing to themselves? It's their choice.
_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

I think the media needs to play a bigger part. We need more attractive, in shape role models to give people the impression you need to be in shape to be well liked and popular.

Daxo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Daxo90
Member since 2009 • 1533 Posts

I may sound like quite a douche but...

Absolutely nothing if they want to be chubby let them but also don't cater for them with bigger seats in cinemas/airplanes. We do not do much about smoking and alcohol its a lifestyle choice and if they chose it then let them live with it.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
More Hot Pockets!
ZombiefiedZomB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ZombiefiedZomB
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts
I think that it all starts at home, I think that if families start living a more healthy lifestyle and teach their kids how to take care of their bodies we would not have to worry about all of this.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
When you see things like this, then the best thing to do is set up incentives to motivate the right behavior. Hypothetical Example: I am a heavy drinker of alcohol. Doing so is unhealthy. There is a good chance that, later in life, I will experience health problems based on my current bad habit. So a "vice tax" on my alcohol consumption might motivate me to drink less, which in turn means that I'll be healthier later on. This is one reason why things like cigarettes are taxed heavily. I would support higher taxes on very unhealthy things like soda. I say this even though I drink a whole lot of soda.
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

I think the media needs to play a bigger part. We need more attractive, in shape role models to give people the impression you need to be in shape to be well liked and popular.

_BlueDuck_
/sarcasm?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Mandatory retreats for overweight people to engage in work projects to help reinforce our infrastructure.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Mandatory retreats for overweight people to engage in work projects to help reinforce our infrastructure. Vandalvideo
I'm reasonably certain you're making a joke here. I have a hard time thinking this would pass legal muster. :P
Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts

Honestly I think its due to lack of exercise. They have had unhealthy food for years. If people would stop being lazy and go join a sport, or lift weights or something, Americas obesity rate would be way lower.

hedden93
I also think it's because how more accessible the 'bad' foods are. And they way it's more mainstream now. I'm not too sure though.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

hmmm taking vending machines out of elementary schools is a start.. also its up to the parents.. the reason people were "in shape" in the 50s and 60s is because people ate better

weezyfb

I agree.

But I also disagree with parents that go completely on the other far end and dont allow their children to eat any sort of candy/desserts that are considered fattening at all.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

There isnt much you can do. There was a story a few days back about a mother who wants to be the fattest women ever. How can you change her mind? Theres tons of people like that today who continue to do what they do even though they know its bad for them.

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]

Teenaged

I agree.

But I also disagree with parents that go completely on the other far end and dont allow their children to eat any sort of candy/desserts that are considered fattening at all.

This is exactly how my aunt is. She controls everything my cousin eats and thats why he only weighs like 95 lbs. He has never had a burger in his life and he told me hes only had pizza a couple times (hes 18 btw)

Its pretty ridiculous.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"]Mandatory retreats for overweight people to engage in work projects to help reinforce our infrastructure. nocoolnamejim
I'm reasonably certain you're making a joke here. I have a hard time thinking this would pass legal muster. :P

Hey, if we could place Japanese people in internment camps, I'm sure we could think of something. *Rolls up his legal sleeves and gets to work* PS: Sarcasm btw.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]

hedden93

I agree.

This is exactly how my aunt is. She controls everything my cousin eats and thats why he only weighs like 95 lbs. He has never had a burger in his life and he told me hes only had pizza a couple times (hes 18 btw)

Its pretty ridiculous.

Damn it; it seems many parents are either too loose or too strict.

Cant they just find a middle ground?

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]

hedden93

I agree.

Its pretty ridiculous.

If he's 18, can't he just walk out the front door and get a quarter pounder? :?

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
This may sound crazy, but I propose we murder Ronald McDonald. It's a long-shot, but it would be worth it if we succeed.scorch-62
That would just leave the influence of The King unchecked...
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
[QUOTE="scorch-62"]This may sound crazy, but I propose we murder Ronald McDonald. It's a long-shot, but it would be worth it if we succeed.xaos
That would just leave the influence of The King unchecked...

Oh, but that's what they want you to think.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
"People don't seem like they care...it's like smoking...they know it's bad but don't care". The exact reason we shouldn't do anything about it. Who gives a crap what other people are doing to themselves? It's their choice.cd_rom
What he said. Besides, it improves my chances with the ladies 8)
Dawq902

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#27 Dawq902
Member since 2007 • 6796 Posts

Purge the country of people over 400 lbs.

MagikarpSplash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MagikarpSplash
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
[QUOTE="cd_rom"]"People don't seem like they care...it's like smoking...they know it's bad but don't care". The exact reason we shouldn't do anything about it. Who gives a crap what other people are doing to themselves? It's their choice.Setsa
What he said. Besides, it improves my chances with the ladies 8)

Exactly what I was thinking. :P
inuyasha12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 inuyasha12
Member since 2003 • 28053 Posts

I thank we should banned unhealthily foods and put money to the education of children of the dangers of unhealthily foods.

DanC1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 DanC1989
Member since 2004 • 50952 Posts
Systematically eliminate them.
fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

people need to stop being so lazy i did it so why cant they it wasnt that hard only took me all summer break 1 hour 6 days a week to go from 170-125 i mean really one hour is nothing i spend more time procrastinating on hw

cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
We need to think of new words to describe fat people. Apparently 'morbidly obese' just made them depressed and eat even more.
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
We should get even fatter. We dont want to risk loosing the title of most obese country. We should be proud of our weight.
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
For a start they should require restaurants to provide the nutritional information for everything on their menu. That way people know what junk they're actually consuming.
Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

Everything.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#36 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Restrict advertisement for food and check what they put on the boxes.
Like many cookies and snacks in my country are promoted as healthy in some way, which they are not.

fatcat13sep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 fatcat13sep
Member since 2007 • 1129 Posts

For a start they should require restaurants to provide the nutritional information for everything on their menu. That way people know what junk they're actually consuming. Commander-Gree
i thought they did like you can go on fast food websites and they tell you whats in their stuff

Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
I don't see the problem with there being a lot of fat people, if fat people saw a problem with being fat then there would be very few fat people.
MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts
Both consumer and corporation have a degree of responsibility with regards to Obesity.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Back in the 80's, Physical Education was part of the cirriculum and was graded (mostly just for participation) just like any other class. It was a 45-minute period, just like every other class.

My nephews are in elementary school now and don't even have P.E. period. And when they get home, they have 3-5 hours of homework a night (in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!) and by the time they're done it's too late to go outside.

Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

People over a certain weight and / or size should be put on Obesity Benefits where they can get free Big Mac meals delivered to them on the hour, every hour.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#42 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Back in the 80's, Physical Education was part of the cirriculum and was graded (mostly just for participation) just like any other class. It was a 45-minute period, just like every other class.

My nephews are in elementary school now and don't even have P.E. period. And when they get home, they have 3-5 hours of homework a night (in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL!!!) and by the time they're done it's too late to go outside.

br0kenrabbit
Wow i didn't know it was going downhill this fast with education :(
grape_of_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 grape_of_wrath
Member since 2009 • 3756 Posts
Pumping obese people for fat and turning it into fuel. that way we get two strokes with one bird,or something....
urdead18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 urdead18
Member since 2008 • 3630 Posts

Let people do whatever they want to themselves, I couldn't care less.

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#45 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts

Everyone has choices weither to be fit or be overweight. McDonalds didn't make you "Obese", you did. You made the choice to eat a double quarter pounder and eat it almost everyday, McD. The only person is to blame is you. It's YOUR CHOICE weither to be fit or the other way around. It's their body and don't force it. Let it be. As for kids the parents should tell theirs about making right choices when it comes to food but then again it's based on the parents.

I'm not saying that they should tell them "you should never eat candy, burgers, or drink sodas or eat anything that's unhealthy johnny!" or anything like that. You can eat a burger sometimes but not almost every day. It's their decision. If the person beside you is eating a large order of fries, it's on them, it's not going to effect you. I'm tired of some of these people that weigh 140 and consider it fat. They probably don't even know what fat truly is. There are people that would love to be that size again.

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Commander-Gree

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"]For a start they should require restaurants to provide the nutritional information for everything on their menu. That way people know what junk they're actually consuming. fatcat13sep

i thought they did like you can go on fast food websites and they tell you whats in their stuff

Yeah, but who actually goes there to look? When you eat at McDonald's, they should give you a big sheet of paper that tells you that you just consumed 1,500 calories.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Obesity is determined by BMI correct? If so, it's not a goodaccurate measurement for body mass from what I heard and read.

But if we really want to get rid of obesity, maybe we, as individuals, look at the nutrition charts once and a while. Europeans do it and they are less obese than us. We could also revise the public school lunches so that it can be healthier by allowing competitors. The reason why I say this is because my school's lunches are incredibly unhealthy and we rely on a lunch system that's practically a monopoly. Worse, you can't even sell food anytime or anywhere in the school. In fact, our cheese burgers are 500 Calories compared to the 360 Calories Big Macs. And our cheeseburgers are just buns, cheese, and patty.

But it really just boils into one thing - Personal responsibility.

MattUD1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MattUD1
Member since 2004 • 20715 Posts

Everyone has choices weither to be fit or be overweight. McDonalds didn't make you "Obese", you did. You made the choice to eat a double quarter pounder and eat it almost everyday, McD. The only person is to blame is you. It's YOUR CHOICE weither to be fit or the other way around. It's their body and don't force it. Let it be. As for kids the parents should tell theirs about making right choices when it comes to food but then again it's based on the parents.

I'm not saying that they should tell them "you should never eat candy, burgers, or drink sodas or eat anything that's unhealthy johnny!" or anything like that. You can eat a burger sometimes but not almost every day. It's their decision. If the person beside you is eating a large order of fries, it's on them, it's not going to effect you. I'm tired of some of these people that weigh 140 and consider it fat. They probably don't even know what fat truly is. There are people that would love to be that size again.

coolkid93
But should McDonald's or another fast-food chain be the only available source of inexpensive food in a given area with no other alternatives what happens then? Where is responsibility placed then?
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
[QUOTE="fatcat13sep"]

[QUOTE="Commander-Gree"]For a start they should require restaurants to provide the nutritional information for everything on their menu. That way people know what junk they're actually consuming. Commander-Gree

Yeah, but who actually goes there to look? When you eat at McDonald's, they should give you a big sheet of paper that tells you that you just consumed 1,500 calories.

Up here in Canada, they have a list of all the info on the back of tray papers and they have it posted about the restaurant. Fast food joints are making the info available, but people flat out don't care. It's not just fast food joints that supply those extra calories, it's the person's choice to consume food to such an extent and minimize personal physical exercise. Also, a lot of people fail to realize how unhealthy a lot of the things they eat are. Two perfect examples of this are those "thinsation" cookies that are only 100 calories, yet contain 20% of your daily intake of fat as well as a good deal of sugar, and just about anything from an established restaurant. People don't realize that just because you're not eating a Big Mac, that the 10oz hamburger you just consumed is loaded with sodium, fat, calories, and yum :o
Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Commander-Gree
[QUOTE="coolkid93"]

MattUD1
But should McDonald's or another fast-food chain be the only available source of inexpensive food in a given area with no other alternatives what happens then? Where is responsibility placed then?

Unhealthy foods should be highly taxed to give fast food chains incentive to make healthier food.