What do you think of people idolising?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

I just hate it, making people famous without them contributing anything to society...

i am talking about people like Kardashian and stuff, no talent yet tons of attention while people who actually do stuff to make the world better never get mentioned...

What is you opinion about this, have you ever idolised anyone like that and who do you think should get some time in the spotlight?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@dylandr said:

I just hate it, making people famous without them contributing anything to society...

i am talking about people like Kardashian and stuff, no talent yet tons of attention while people who actually do stuff to make the world better never get mentioned...

What is you opinion about this, have you ever idolised anyone like that and who do you think should get some time in the spotlight?

People who get attention are talented at getting attention. That's what they're good at. I don't see any reason to get angry about it. The people who are good at making the world better can continue to focus on making the world better. Meanwhile, the people who are good at being attention whores can continue being attention whores. Everything works out just fine. I mean, what would you rather have: this, or a situation in which people who are making the world better are actually hindered in their efforts because they're too popular and the fucking paparazzi won't get off their asses?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dylandr

@MrGeezer: Well, i don't like it that a sl*t gets millions of dollars without doing a thing :p

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

As if one tart's swag isn't enough.I don't like people idolize the rich on the outside,but poor on the inside. This happened the most when it comes to comparing celebrities...in here,it's twice as worse as stalking,people are people,what they do don't deserve idolization,but improvisation,people who idolize are those who are jelly over the idol.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: Well, i don't like it that a sl*t gets millions of dollars without doing a thing :p

She did "do a thing." She got people to give her millions of dollars, which is actually pretty hard to do. If you don't believe me, try it. Try to get people to give you millions of dollars, with or without being a "slut".

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dylandr

@Smashbrossive50: Ikr, the worst thing is when they don't use their "power" for good things, just look at emma watson, she uses it to better the world and setting an example while lets say... Paris Hilton spends her money on clothes and clothes for her little rat

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dylandr

@MrGeezer: What about these two for example, they worked hard for their money

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Smashbrossive50

@dylandr: the problem why people idolize is because of money abuse,the more the idol used the money,the more mindless people got attracted,these things don't last long,same goes for famous people who went to a short,but insanely priced events

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dylandr

@Smashbrossive50: you know what is sad, if people idolised Nikolai Tesla, electricity would be free and he wouldn't have died in poverty and depression :s

but no people without skill and a low IQ should be idolised >.<

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: What about these two for example, they worked hard for their money

Okay. What's your point?

Anyway, like I said, getting lots of money is actually pretty goddamn hard, otherwise everyone would be doing it. So when looking at "whores" or "sluts" who get millions of dollars for "doing nothing", I think it's important to put things in perspective. Whether or not they're "doing nothing", they're clearly doing SOMETHING right, otherwise people wouldn't be throwing millions of dollars at them.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dylandr

@MrGeezer: ~sorry to say but humanity is the biggest mistake since accidentally stubbing your toe :p

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@Smashbrossive50: you know what is sad, if people idolised Nikolai Tesla, electricity would be free and he wouldn't have died in poverty and depression :s

but no people without skill and a low IQ should be idolised >.<

So basically, you're just mad because people you dislike (Kardashian) happened to be better at something (being idolized and getting money) than the people that YOU idolize (Tesla)?

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@dylandr said:

but no. people without skill and a low IQ should be idolised >.<

it's gonna be a more problematic if the person doesn't do something for a change,especially in that kind of condition,people SHOULD idolize only influential people and the idol's proper use of money,eg. help those in need, everyone knows there are more people suffering worse situations than those who only sit back and watch some bs lies and superstitions on tv.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#14 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Bill Gates stole the windows from Steve Jobs, just saying

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dylandr

@MrGeezer: No i just dislike the fact that useless people get more attention as people who deserve it :p

@k--m--k:if apple made a car, would it have windows?

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Smashbrossive50

@dylandr: let's clarify what would define this discussion..

• the Kardashians became a negative attention seeker
  • there are more people other than the Kardashians who boast too much personality
  • so..the reason is almost as strong as a cult of personality

remember Mayweather? he's got too much to show,and rigged the match he promised last month,and being entitled to "best boxer".......please..the best boxers are those who punch harder and got a more solid body build..aka heavyweight and above.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: ~sorry to say but humanity is the biggest mistake since accidentally stubbing your toe :p

Let me just ask you an honest question, dude. Since you're so angry that some people are good at making money without earning their money by making the world better, that brings up the obvious question of "what are you doing to make the world better?"

I mean, why the hell does this bother you? Surely you must realize that MOST PEOPLE aren't really making the world better, and the vast majority of them also aren't rich. So why are you focusing your anger on the very few people who are not making the world better, but who just happen to be good at making money anyway?

If YOU are making the world better, then what's with the anger? Are you jealous that celebrities are making money and you're not? Shouldn't you just stick to worrying about your own business, and make the world as good as you can without asking for riches in return? Stop worrying about pop idols doing what they do, and focus on what YOU do, which is presumably "making the world better."

And if you're NOT making the world better, then you're in the same boat as those pop idols who also aren't making the world better. Which makes it kind of hypocritical for you to be lambasting them for getting rich by not making the world better. You aren't making the world better either, so why the hate? Are you just jealous that they've got money and you don't?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#18  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Never saw a point in idolizing someone. I went through this life solo.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dylandr

@MrGeezer: Because they don't deserve it, if you don't work for your money or atleast contribute to society you deserve jacksh*t!

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: No i just dislike the fact that useless people get more attention as people who deserve it :p

@k--m--k:if apple made a car, would it have windows?

1) Again, many people who "make the world better" don't freaking WANT a lot of attention. That can potentially get in the way of them doing their job of making the world better.

2) Anyone who does want attention, and fails at getting attention, doesn't fucking deserve attention.

3) It's also funny that you brought up the examples of Oprah Winfrey and Bill Gates as people who worked hard for their money and fame. What's funny about that is that they're already fucking rich and famous. If you're that freaking concerned about money and attention going to people who deserve it, then why the hell are you bringing up Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey, who both already have enough money and attention to last 100 lifetimes? If you really want to make your point, show me a NOBODY who is making the world better, and then convince me why he/she deserves more attention and money.

4) But the bottom line is that you're just as fucking pop-idol obsessed as the people you're criticizing. You didn't frame this discussion in terms of people who are doing good and deserve more. You framed this discussion in terms of people who aren't doing enough and deserve less. That's not the mentality of someone who is ACTUALLY concerned about "making the world better." That's just the mentality of someone who is caught up in pop-culture idolatry. If people should stop idolizing the Kim Kardashians and Paris Hiltons, then why the hell did you just start a thread about how awful the Kim Kardashians and Paris Hiltons are? You're still just talking about pop idols. You're still just trying to drag down someone who is successful, instead of trying to raise up someone unsuccessful who deserves more success. You're doing the exact same thing that you're complaining about.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: Because they don't deserve it, if you don't work for your money or atleast contribute to society you deserve jacksh*t!

So, again...what exactly are you doing to make the world better?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dylandr

@MrGeezer: I help everybody i am able to help, i have respect for people who deserve respect and try my best to earn theirs too

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@dylandr said:

I think I could idolised some great politician but I'm not really aware of one that make sense right now.

I have nothing about idolising, it's their stuff but of course it would sound more efficient to me if they would chose a good leader. And also, I doubt being too fanatic is a good thing in most case.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@Smashbrossive50 said:

@dylandr: let's clarify what would define this discussion..

• the Kardashians became a negative attention seeker
  • there are more people other than the Kardashians who boast too much personality
  • so..the reason is almost as strong as a cult of personality

remember Mayweather? he's got too much to show,and rigged the match he promised last month,and being entitled to "best boxer".......please..the best boxers are those who punch harder and got a more solid body build..aka heavyweight and above.

Above the highest weight class aye?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dylandr

@chaoscougar1: sumo?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#27  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Never idolised anyone...never saw the point and I never aspired to be like anyone else. I focus on improving myself every day instead of comparing myself to others. As for people "who don't deserve it" being in the spotlight, I leave those to the people who put them there; doesn't bother me.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I am certainly disheartened that reality shows having to deal with useless people are extremely popular. I think it reflects badly on the people who watch it.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dylandr

@airshocker: *cough* jersey shore *cough* alcohol poisoning *cough*

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

Stupid people need entertainment too.

Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Smashbrossive50

@megane: but not when people entertain each other the wrong way,see...tv shows that involved people from a specific group generally singled out the wealthy and jeered at while helping people on camera..look at the other frame of the shot,the host actually baited the people they're supposed to help,so that the host is entitled to being a charity chump,who spend money on someone who should get government aid,not host's delight.

I may be wrong at a point,but trust me..it's what we face everyday.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

@MrGeezer: I help everybody i am able to help, i have respect for people who deserve respect and try my best to earn theirs too

So basically, you just try to be an overall decent person. That's a pretty freaking low bar to set, and one which would also be met by many of those worthless pop-idols that you're obsessing over.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@MrGeezer said:
@dylandr said:

So basically, you just try to be an overall decent person. That's a pretty freaking low bar to set, and one which would also be met by many of those worthless pop-idols that you're obsessing over.

And yet, it's missed more often than not :P

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer

@mattbbpl said:
@MrGeezer said:
@dylandr said:

It's also one of the things that pretty much anyone can tell themselves that they're doing, especially when you add in qualifiers such as "I have respect for the people who deserve respect."

Well gee, woopie-fucking-doo, anyone says that they do that. And in the event that you catch them disrespecting someone, they've already got a built-in loophole: they just have to pretend that the person they're respecting doesn't deserve respect.

I mean, shit dude. The OP is complaining about people like Kim Kardashian who do nothing to make the world better. Imagine if he were to ask Kim Kardashian what she does to make the world better. Kim Kardashian could give the exact same answer, and totally be honest about it. If Kim Kardashian's reply was "I help people when I can, and I respect people but only if they deserve it", do you think the TC would find that to be a satisfactory answer?

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dylandr

@mattbbpl said:
@MrGeezer said:
@dylandr said:

i am done with geezer, he seems to think he is so much better as the rest so he can sit on a comfy cactus :p

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#36 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I think idolizing a person is a sure fire way to be disappointed. Everyone has flaws, and when someone who is viewed by another as their idol is called out on their flaws, we realize how silly we were to idolize that person in the first place.

As for idolizing people like the Kardashians, anyone who does that unironically should probably seek help.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

@dylandr said:

i am done with geezer, he seems to think he is so much better as the rest so he can sit on a comfy cactus :p

Hey, I'm not the one who's sitting around hating other people for being rich and popular, and then telling myself that I'm making the world better just by being generally nice. You're sort of the one who started a thread with the sole purpose of looking down on other people and acting like they don't deserve what they've got.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

Unless it's a golden calf I'm not interested.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

@dylandr: I don't like it... but it's not hurting me any so I sure a shit am not going to waste my energy giving it anymore thought or attention.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

It's a mystery for me how people idolize someone or something.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

"they don't want to do anything, they just want to be somebody"

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

I cannot fathom why anyone idolizes others TBH....society is bankrupt.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I dislike the system more than anything else.

Not something to get upset about much from the perspective of they don't deserve this.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Too often the celebrities get hated on because of the system